Helpful ReplyBaltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards

Author
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2898
2018/06/19 22:47:32 (permalink)

Baltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards

Hello fellow Roadfooders, 
My friend Doug, his brother-in-law, and I are driving from Long Island to Baltimore to catch an Orioles game at Camden Yards.  We're heading down in the morning at Saturday June 30th, the game is at 4:05pm and then we're staying overnight at the Embassy Suites by Hilton Baltimore Inner Harbor and driving back to New York the next day, Sunday July 1st.  I searched the Trip Reports and Where Should I Eat? threads and the most recent postings with Baltimore in them were from 2007 so I'm hoping for more current info.  

We haven't decided what route we're taking but does anyone have a suggestion for lunch on the drive down?  

It looks like our hotel is pretty close to the Lexington Market so I was thinking of walking over before the game to check out Fridley's for crab cakes and to Berger's to pick up some cookies.  Maybe a tour of the Babe Ruth Birthplace Museum and a walk to Edgar Allan Poe's Grave Site if there is time.  Any recommendations for "must eat" food at the ballpark?  Wanderingjew?  Traveling' Man?  

None of us have any first-hand experience with Baltimore at and I've heard that it can be a pretty rough city.  Would it be okay to walk to/from the park and our hotel?  

I was thinking of maybe stopping at Chaps Pit Beef for some pit beef sandwiches after the game or maybe the next day before getting on the road and maybe a stop at Dangerously Delicious Pies to pick up a pie or three to bring back with us.  Please let me know what you think and if you have any other suggestions.  Much appreciated!!
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10504
Re: Baltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards 2018/06/20 07:53:41 (permalink)
billyboy

Even though we were just in Baltimore in March (for my much, much older half sister's 50th wedding anniversary) I haven't been to Camden Yards in 12 years- (Funny, I remember it like it was yesterday and now I realize at age 53, I'll be "long retired" 12 years from now)- I actually ended up there with one of Signman's friends... So I won't be of much help.
Chap's Pit Beef is "just ok" however even though it's a little more of a drive- I would hit Pioneer Pit Beef before the game as they would already be closed by the time the game ends. - in fact it would make sense to stop there on the way down since it's north of the city..
What about G & M???
You do realize I was fast asleep when you began this thread 9 hours ago.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4229
Re: Baltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards 2018/06/20 16:25:28 (permalink)
I agree with WJ.  Chaps is not that good.  Pioneer Pit Beef is the very best and a true Roadfood experience,  However, You would be tight on time with a 4:30 game time as it is on the northwest side of Baltimore (near where I live) so you would have to go out of your way.

You can get a  pit beef sandwich inside the ball park at Boogs famous barbeque.  He does have a nice pit beef sandwich but it is not quite like Pioneer. Other options that you might enjoy are Attmans Deli and Pollock Johnny's sausages which are really good...…………..both long timers in Baltimore and new to the park.

After the game if you don't feel like driving to G&M (great crab cakes), I suggest that you grab a ferry at inner harbor and go to Fells Point. It is a very old part of Baltimore with cobblestone streets, quaint shops and very  many restaurants. Also, it is a great ride over there.  If you do decide you might do that, I will suggest a few restaurants to you.
billyboy
Filet Mignon
Re: Baltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards 2018/06/20 18:03:52 (permalink)
wanderingjew
billyboy

Even though we were just in Baltimore in March (for my much, much older half sister's 50th wedding anniversary) I haven't been to Camden Yards in 12 years- (Funny, I remember it like it was yesterday and now I realize at age 53, I'll be "long retired" 12 years from now)- I actually ended up there with one of Signman's friends... So I won't be of much help.
Chap's Pit Beef is "just ok" however even though it's a little more of a drive- I would hit Pioneer Pit Beef before the game as they would already be closed by the time the game ends. - in fact it would make sense to stop there on the way down since it's north of the city..
What about G & M???
You do realize I was fast asleep when you began this thread 9 hours ago.

I was thinking of Pioneer too.  I looked it up on Google Maps and it looks it's got some real Roadfood atmosphere.  It'll really depend on how early we arrive in Baltimore before the game.  Lexington Market has been on my bucket list for some time as I like to check out iconic markets in different cities (Reading Terminal Market in Philly, Quincy Market in Boston, Westside Market in Cleveland, etc...) but it closes at 6:00pm on Saturday and is closed on Sunday so we'd have to go there before the game.

Is G & M the place in Linthicum Heights?  

I figured I wouldn't hear from you right away but since I work the 12midnight to 8am shift I figured I had better post it while I was fully awake.  Thanks for the quick reply and helpful info!
billyboy
Filet Mignon
Re: Baltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards 2018/06/20 18:16:22 (permalink)
Greymo
I agree with WJ.  Chaps is not that good.  Pioneer Pit Beef is the very best and a true Roadfood experience,  However, You would be tight on time with a 4:30 game time as it is on the northwest side of Baltimore (near where I live) so you would have to go out of your way.

You can get a  pit beef sandwich inside the ball park at Boogs famous barbeque.  He does have a nice pit beef sandwich but it is not quite like Pioneer. Other options that you might enjoy are Attmans Deli and Pollock Johnny's sausages which are really good...…………..both long timers in Baltimore and new to the park.

After the game if you don't feel like driving to G&M (great crab cakes), I suggest that you grab a ferry at inner harbor and go to Fells Point. It is a very old part of Baltimore with cobblestone streets, quaint shops and very  many restaurants. Also, it is a great ride over there.  If you do decide you might do that, I will suggest a few restaurants to you.

Thanks Greymo!  It'll just depend on how early we arrive in Baltimore on Saturday.  I've heard of Boog's and may have to check it out for comparison's sake.  Is Boog's actually IN the park?  Looking at a map it says that it is located on Eutaw Street but I can't tell if it is a small street located within the park itself.  If I MUST have 2 or 3 pit beef sandwiches in the name of research...

Is Pollock Johnny's the name of a local brand or a local restaurant?  I've heard of Fells Point somewhere before.  Maybe there is a place in that area reviewed here on RF.  G & M looks good but seems like more of a formal sit-down restaurant and I'm thinking that the guys might be looking for more of a bar/tavern restaurant vibe where we can down a few pints.  Between Lexington Market being walkable from our hotel and the ballpark and wanting to see it anyway, Faidley's just seemed like a good choice.
post edited by billyboy - 2018/06/20 18:23:18
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Baltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards 2018/06/21 07:30:33 (permalink)
The Lexington Market is a fantastic experience but I was sorely disappointed in my one and only visit to Faidley's back in 05.
G & M is hardly formal and quite Roadfoody
Your friends would have no problem knocking back 1 or 3 or more. You can also sit in the bar too and order anything off the menu if that's more towards your liking.

Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4229
Re: Baltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards 2018/06/21 11:46:47 (permalink)
If you decide on Pioneer Pit Beef, it would be best to stop on your way into Baltimore.  I have no idea of whether Pollock Johnny's has a restaurant in Baltimore.  He used to be at Lexington market.  He does have a place in Ocean City and has a food truck at a shopping center on the Eastern shore.  I can buy his sausage at the meat market where we buy our meat.

G&M"s is very informal.  We have eaten in the bar but it is quite a nosy scene on a busy night. But if you decide to go to Fells Point, the place is loaded  with taverns and pubs.  By the way, I misspoke when I said ferry.  It is actually a water taxi. I think you will  feel very safe, in the area from your hotel, walking to  the inner harbor and to the game.

aloysius50
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: Baltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards 2018/06/21 16:54:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby leethebard 2018/06/22 11:17:38
FWIW, I was down there 2 years ago with my Daughter, Son in Law and 2 young grand kids. We parked down in the Inner Harbor and walked to Camden and back - on a game day there's 100's in the street and I saw no issues.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Baltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards 2018/06/21 17:10:12 (permalink)
Regarding city safety. I've never had any concerned walking from Inner Harbor to Fells Point or Little Italy or even Federal Hill or North Charles Street (Mt Vernon)
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Baltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards 2018/06/22 07:48:09 (permalink)
I would suggest you do this..
Leave EARLY from Long Island
Hit Pioneer Pit Beef for lunch first
Head downtown- and look for a place to park
You'll have plenty of time to check out Lexington Market
afterwards it's an easy 1/2 mile walk to the ballpark.
billyboy
Filet Mignon
Re: Baltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards 2018/06/22 17:17:26 (permalink)
Greymo
If you decide on Pioneer Pit Beef, it would be best to stop on your way into Baltimore.  I have no idea of whether Pollock Johnny's has a restaurant in Baltimore.  He used to be at Lexington market.  He does have a place in Ocean City and has a food truck at a shopping center on the Eastern shore.  I can buy his sausage at the meat market where we buy our meat.

G&M"s is very informal.  We have eaten in the bar but it is quite a nosy scene on a busy night. But if you decide to go to Fells Point, the place is loaded  with taverns and pubs.  By the way, I misspoke when I said ferry.  It is actually a water taxi. I think you will  feel very safe, in the area from your hotel, walking to  the inner harbor and to the game.

Thanks Greymo!  Maybe we'll hit up G & M after the game.  
billyboy
Filet Mignon
Re: Baltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards 2018/06/22 17:19:46 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Yeah, I was hoping we could do it that way.  Is parking easy to find near the Market and is it pricey.  If it's check-in time after we head back from Pioneer we might just do that and then walk to Lexington Market from the hotel.  Thanks for all of the helpful info.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Baltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards 2018/06/22 18:44:43 (permalink)
billyboy
wanderingjew

Yeah, I was hoping we could do it that way.  Is parking easy to find near the Market and is it pricey.  If it's check-in time after we head back from Pioneer we might just do that and then walk to Lexington Market from the hotel.  Thanks for all of the helpful info.

There is a really reasonable parking garage right next to the market- maybe $5 or so- in fact we parked there during our trip in March- however I suspect they're only open during market hours.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6955
Re: Baltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards 2018/06/23 09:43:55 (permalink)
  • The short walk from the Inner Harbor to Camden Yards is entirely "safe".  When I was an Orioles season ticket holder we always parked at the Inner Harbor garages and lots.  Never a problem and, as observed above, you'll be walking in a crowd of baseball fans.  And, generally speaking, Baltimore does an excellent job of policing the tourist areas.  BTW, if you like peanuts in the shell, buy them from the street vendors before entering the park.
  •  Mrs. Metro and I had lunch at G&M last Saturday.  It was, as always, most excellent.  We were visiting NoVa and the120 mile round trip was well worth it!  You'll be far closer; if you've never been, you simply must.
  •  I truly  Camden Yards and these days you'll have no trouble getting great seats even as a walk-up.  Coming up from the Inner Harbor you'll be entering on Eutaw Street (where tape measure homers are memorialized by little brass plaques on the street and Junior's on warehouse - in BP before the All-Star game).  The fantastic aroma of Boog's BBQ will fill the air and whet your appetite.  As BBQ it's very decent; as ballpark fare, it's wonderful. 
  • By all means avoid the ballpark crab cakes; they do a profound disservice to the city's otherwise well-deserved reputation for such.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8510
Re: Baltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards 2018/06/23 10:10:01 (permalink)
No mention of the great Chris Davis, Jim?
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6955
Re: Baltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards 2018/06/23 12:00:21 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
No mention of the great Chris Davis, Jim?

Well …………………….. I am left to conclude that poor Chris is severely allergic to money. 

After Angelos signed him in 2016 for 7 years and $161 MM his performance has suffered to the point where he is presently hitting 48 points below the Mendoza line and seems to be competing with an aggregate of MLB pitchers in a race to see who can post the lower OPS+ and still remain  in uniform.  He'd better rinse his paychecks because Angelos will soon start sprinkling them with asbestos!

-------------------

Edit:  At least give me some credit for calling Juan Soto the next Musial after his first MLB game. 
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2018/06/23 17:55:15
billyboy
Filet Mignon
Re: Baltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards 2018/06/24 05:01:00 (permalink)

I do have some more questions.  Is there a locally brewed beer that the city is known for that we should try while in Baltimore?  While doing some browsing on Google Maps, I noticed about 10 places listed as "carry-outs".  Mostly Chinese and fried chicken/fish spots.  Is the term "carry-out" something unique to Baltimore?  I don't think I've ever heard it before. Are there places to buy Berger's Cookies in Baltimore other than at the Lexington Market?  Not sure if we will get there before the game and would love to bring some back to NYC.  Thanks!

Greymo, there is a tavern is Fells Point called The Horse You Came In On that looks to have a long history and might be a good place to check out.  Have you ever been there? 

MetroplexJim, thanks for the info.  Boog's is on my list of places to check out.  I'll see if I can convince the guys to hit up G&M for dinner after the game. 
post edited by billyboy - 2018/06/24 05:11:39
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 801
Re: Baltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards 2018/06/24 13:23:34 (permalink)
"Is there a locally brewed beer that the city is known for that we should try while in Baltimore?"
NATTY BO 
Years ago we had a good time at Bertha's...good mussels.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8510
Re: Baltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards 2018/06/24 19:40:44 (permalink)
Billy, we say "carry out" all the time here in the Midwest.  "Take away", not so much.

So having just returned from one of the meccas of baseball tailgating (Milwaukee), I'm wondering if the parking situation for Camden Yards doesn't work for that sort of activity.  Is there a large lot adjacent to the ballpark?  Or is it basically every man for himself fighting for street spaces?

A lot of the Milwaukee bars and restaurants that're fairly close to Miller Park offer shuttle services to and from the games and a lot of fans put them to good use.  Park in the establishment's parking lot, spend a little cash inside, use the shuttle, and then unwind afterwards with maybe a snack and a beverage.  Does anyone in Baltimore do anything like this?
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Baltimore Bound for a game at Camden Yards 2018/06/25 07:09:33 (permalink)
Billyboy

Oddly enough, when I have folks with me and unless it's someone else's special occasion, I usually "Tell them" what restaurants we are going to, of course when someone else is driving that could be a problem...

Bertha's in Fells Point is as old as dirt...In fact it looked like it was constructed out of dirt it's that old
If you find any beers from DuClaw's or Heavy Seas- these two microbrews are fairly iconic. The Wharf Rat- a local brewpub had two locations, one right near the ballpark. I used to go there whenever I was in town, however I recently found out that location closed- the one near Fells Point is still around.
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5