Baltimore- seafood and steak

Author
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1652
2005/11/02 12:39:58 (permalink)

Baltimore- seafood and steak

I'm headed to Baltimore for a meeting and staying overnight in the Inner harbor. I'd love to go to Obrycki's or a seafood joint, but unfortunately a couple of the customers that I am meeting would like steak. Any local joints where I can get some solid fresh seafood and good steaks? It doesn't have to be in the inner harbor.

28 Replies Related Threads

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5600
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/02 13:53:53 (permalink)
    Some places to think about

A very ecclectic place with seafood, steaks and ethnic (greek) food is Eastern House in the Highlands neighborhood. 3708 Eastern Avenue. I like this restaurant.

Luna Del Sea. Has both beef and seafood. Never been there though. 300 W. Pratt Street

Rusty Scupper sells steaks too. I've never had the steak there, only crabs. It's a great place. 402 Key Highway

Any of the hotel restaurants should offer good seafood and steak as well. Such as: Windows, at the Renaissance. Had drinks and some appetisers at Windows. Good food, but $$$ (of course)
    and Tug's at Tremont Plaza too.

that's the best I can up with.
    There's sooo many good places for seafood and roadfood in Balto, but I don't know of too many real steak AND seafood places.

good luck, hope someone adds on to my short list.

Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/02 20:46:09 (permalink)
    There is a McCormick & Schmick's behind the ESPN Zone/Hard Rock at Pier 5 Inner Harbor.

Address and phone numbers are
    711 Eastern Avenue
    Baltimore, Maryland 21202
    Restaurant: (410) 234-1300
    1-888-344-6861 toll free
    Billfish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 397
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/02 22:12:55 (permalink)
    The Prime Rib,on North Calvert St. in Baltimore,is regarded highly,one of America's top notch steak houses.Their menu does also offer crab,salmon,halibut,3 pound lobsters,and though I would imagine they are of similarly high quality,I can only vouch for the steak as that is why I go there when I am flush.Its like 5 star beef and 5 star service,and prices are every bit as high as you would expect.Nonetheless,I have always felt like I got good value,more so than say,Ruth's Chris.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23230
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/02 22:30:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by saps

I'm headed to Baltimore for a meeting and staying overnight in the Inner harbor. I'd love to go to Obrycki's or a seafood joint, but unfortunately a couple of the customers that I am meeting would like steak. Any local joints where I can get some solid fresh seafood and good steaks? It doesn't have to be in the inner harbor.

I have it on good authority that this might be the place for you. It is very close to Inner Harbor and has "lots of atmosphere, a nice bar,and super food and service."

http://www.mamasonthehalfshell.com/menu.htm
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/02 23:22:00 (permalink)
    Oh yes, Michael...good pick. I completely forgot about Mama's!

It's in Canton, which is the next neighborhood down from Fells Point.
    This would be way to long of a walk from the Inner Harbor (it was a long walk from Fells Point), but it's a very short drive.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/02 23:23:54 (permalink)
    Oh, it wasn't me. A friend told me about it.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/09 10:44:05 (permalink)
    I know this is late Saps, but I was just in Baltimore this weekend and went to a great place:
    Slainte Irish Pub.

It's not a chain, and it has great oysters, clams and crab cakes and its steak was excellent.

It's in Fells Point.

We ate up stairs at a table near the 2nd floor bar next to windows looking down on the streets of Fells Point.
    It's right next to the intersection of Thames and Broadway on Thames.

Maybe your next trip.
    saps
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/09 12:38:14 (permalink)
    Not late. I'm leaving for the airport to head to BWI in about 15 minutes.

John
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/11 10:30:04 (permalink)
    have a good trip. Let us know where you ate.

We go to Baltimore plenty, and always will take suggestions.

mek
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/11 11:01:14 (permalink)
    Scorereader-

If you have questions about a place before you come here agin- send them my way. I will try to help.
    mek in Baltimore
    saps
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/11 12:16:29 (permalink)
    Ended up having dinner at McCormick and Shmick's on Wednesday night. By the time the folks I was meeting with got off their delayed flight, they just wanted to go somewhere within walking distance of the hotel.

It was actually very good, but I generally don't want to go to a Seattle-based restaurant when I'm in Baltimore.

After dinner, went to the James Joyce tavern and had a couple of Guinness. Nice place.

Lunch on Wednesday was excellent, however. Stopped at the G & M reataurant for a bowl of Cream of Crab soup and a crabcake. One of the best crabcakes I've had. It was a monster crabcake, and apparently is rated the best in Baltimore Magazine and the Wahington Post. Very close to the airport, on 804 North Hammonds Ferry Road in Linthicum Heights. It's a casual joint.

www.gandmcrabcakes.com
    R. Rich
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/18 22:44:38 (permalink)
    I live in the Baltimore area (Catonsville), and I can back up saps on this one. G and M does have an excellent crabcake, probably the best I've had in the area, but their Cream of Crab soup isn't among the best I've had in the area. I still love the Rusty Scupper's Cream of Crab soup; great stuff!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/19 00:20:02 (permalink)
    The Rusty Scupper. Let's see, there's one In New Haven, there was one in Cleveland, there used to be one in Columbus, and there used to be one in Princeton. Must be a chain.
    saps
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/21 12:11:42 (permalink)
    One in New Haven, one at the Inner Harbor.

Who gives a FF if it is a chain. He was commenting on where he has had better cream of crab soup- if it happens to be at a chain restaurant, big deal.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/21 12:41:37 (permalink)
    quote:

Who gives a FF if it is a chain. He was commenting on where he has had better cream of crab soup- if it happens to be at a chain restaurant, big deal.

Why I'm surprised you didn't know. The powers that be care. That's why they set up a special, never-on-the-home-page-where-anti-fast-food-chain-franchise-folks-might-see-them, forum for discussion of such places. I could not possibly care less about whether a place is a chain. I have nothing against chains, unless they have terrible food. I just hate to see the folks in charge having to do the extra work of removing such posts to their proper place.
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2218
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/21 12:49:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Why I'm surprised you didn't know. The powers that be care. That's why they set up a special, never-on-the-home-page-where-anti-fast-food-chain-franchise-folks-might-see-them, forum for discussion of such places. I could not possibly care less about whether a place is a chain. I have nothing against chains, unless they have terrible food. I just hate to see the folks in charge having to do the extra work of removing such posts to their proper place.

It must be almost as annoying to the "powers that be" as your beat-a-dead-horse posts are to some of us. pb
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/21 12:51:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

It must be almost as annoying to the "powers that be" as your beat-a-dead-horse posts are to some of us. pb

Thank you so much for your vote of confidence. It's folks such as yourself that keep me focused.
    saps
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/21 13:07:28 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

It has more to do with the thread than the post. Let's return to earth for a moment. The thread was that I was looking for places to eat in Baltimore. I described where I went- one place was a chain, the other was G & M crabcakes. One person made the comment that they preferred Rusty Scupper's cream of crab over G & M. That was it.

But the thread is about where to eat in Baltimore, not about chains, but the mention of chains is so minimal here, and there is good info here about some places to eat.

But from what you are telling me, every thread where there is a mere mention of a chain should be put into the fast food/chain section.

Why don't you and TJ find something better to do than hop from thread to thread and point out wherever a chain is mentioned- or do you guys just enjoy killing threads.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/21 13:09:07 (permalink)
    As I said, I could not care less about chains being mentioned anywhere.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/21 16:15:16 (permalink)
    but you do mention that a chain is mentioned in a thread.
    We know your stance on chains and that you're not happy about which topics are put in the FF Forum.

I would suggest to ALL those who are unhappy about the FF Forum rules and/or poilicy, to get in an email discussion with the admins, instead of clogging up the threads with "look! another chain was mentioned."
    It's beginning to kill, or at least ruin the continuity of, threads.

saps, I'm glad you got to at least go to G&M for some local food.
    I hope the rest of your trip went well too.

I went to a microbrew pub in Fells Point called DuClaw for lunch on Saturday.
    Beer: Excellent. On the hoppy side for each flavor, but that's usual for mid-atlantic microbrew pubs (i.e. Capitol City Brewing).

Food: overall, not good. The sandwiches were ok, but the tuna dish and the pasta were not good. The spices on the tuna did not blend well with the fish which was overcooked. The pasta, was clumpy.
    The Club sandwich was good, but the bread slices were so thick, it was better to take the middle piece of bread out.

Service: SLOWWWWWWW. The waitress left to get the silverware which we hadn't yet gotten when the food arrived, and it took nearly five minutes for her to return. Yet, we saw her ringing out other customers and delivering food to others. It was as if she wanted to take fewer trips from her station to the tables, so she'd do three things at once. Waiting at the register, which was apparently running slow, for someone's bill to print out, while she held two dishes in the other arm.
    I understand doing more than one thing at once, but the register was slow enough, she could've delivered the other table's food, our silverware and returned before the printer had printed out the third table's bill.
    It took ten minutes to get the check after asking for it (she was waiting for someone's food to come out of the kitchen before taking her trip by our table) and it took another 10 mintes to get change. And she asked if I wanted change, which annoys me.

I would definately return but ONLY to sit at the bar and drink their beer -it is good beer. I would never return for food. Except maybe the spinach-crab dip, which was very good. Maybe the bartender would serve it faster than the waitstaff.

Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/21 20:04:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

I would definately return but ONLY to sit at the bar and drink their beer -it is good beer. I would never return for food. Except maybe the spinach-crab dip, which was very good. Maybe the bartender would serve it faster than the waitstaff.

That's the way we feel about DuClaw at Arundel Mills. We sure miss DeGroen's. [|)]
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/21 20:08:30 (permalink)
    quote:

We know your stance on chains and that you're not happy about which topics are put in the FF Forum.

You know my stance on chains? Pray tell me what you believe it to be. As to the second part of your sentence, you could not possibly be more wrong.
    saps
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/22 11:21:45 (permalink)
    Why not just come off it and quit worrying about where chain posts are going. There has to be better things to do with your time. Let the moderators sort it out.

This thread is in the right place. Just because a chain is referenced in the thread doesn't make it a "chain thread". Use some common sense.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/22 11:52:27 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

You know my stance on chains? Pray tell me what you believe it to be. As to the second part of your sentence, you could not possibly be more wrong.

you're not upset that Waffle House is in the FF Forum?
    you don't have a problem with the fact that some chains are in the FF Forum and some chains are not?

Saps, this is NOT a chain thread, ths has been a thread about good Baltimore eats.
    There are many many non chains mentioned.
    I'm with you.

Beer and Sausages, I didn't know there was more than one DuClaw's. Yikes!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/22 14:22:11 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

you don't have a problem with the fact that some chains are in the FF Forum and some chains are not?

I'm not at all upset that some people might think the Waffle House is a fast food restaurant. Ignorance is bliss, and some folks are quite blissful. I do not have any problem at all with the fact that some chains are in that forum and some are not. I think the entire idea of such a hidden-away forum is stupid.
    saps
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/22 14:28:00 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm not at all upset that some people might think the Waffle House is a fast food restaurant. Ignorance is bliss, and some folks are quite blissful. I do not have any problem at all with the fact that some chains are in that forum and some are not. I think the entire idea of such a hidden-away forum is stupid.

I agree with you on that. I did post earlier on making the Off-Topic thread hidden, but I don't think chains deserve the same fate. After all, chains are the antagonist that are part of what gives Roadfood creedence- and there are plenty of local or regional chains that I enjoy learning about and going to.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/22 17:27:23 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, that explains it.

Now that it's out in the open, is it possible to discuss this in another thread? Maybe in the roadfood news area, instead of on virtually every thread that even mentions a chain.

I agree that putting all chains in a hidden area is not a good idea. But I also would rather not see threads about the great burgers at the local McDonald's in the burger section.

However, some other chains do a lot to retain local or regional colors, and should be discussed. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, there have been a few large regional chain locations that have been reviewed by the Sterns.

...now I've gone off-the-Baltimore topic....rats.

joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Baltimore- seafood and steak 2005/11/25 14:40:44 (permalink)
    Here, I'll bring the thread back to B-more. I've been driving around with last month's Baltimore magazine in my car -- the one with "Cheap Eats" in it. Some of the restaurants sound terrific, and although I eat out in the city all the time, I'm in a rut, I think. If you've seen this article, do you agree/disagree with the choices?

My one big "wish" about the city is that they'd make it all nonsmoking...I hate being around cigarette smoke!
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5