Bao question

Author
MedFusion
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2017/11/04 12:50:08 (permalink)

Bao question

So I would like to make bao buns fresh on my food truck. What would be the best method of steaming. Also it takes 10 minutes to steam them after they proof. I guess I can't steam them to order, what would be the best way to go about this. Should I just make as many as I can in the morning? what would be the best way to store them to keep them soft and moist.

I appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

1 Reply Related Threads

cavemaneats
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re: Bao question 2017/11/09 01:53:26 (permalink)
    I've seen this done two ways,
    One a Portland pierogi truck has three vertical dumpling steamers and rotate them through from start to finish. Their items are smaller than the standard Bao(think golf ball rather than softball), and they sell multiple at a time. So they have a hard time keeping up in a rush.
    The second is from a booth vendor who uses a dumpling steamer along with a 6" hotel pan and two 4" slotted pans over to hold them. I would imagine the same system would work but you may need to test it a few time at different temps to find the sweet spot.
    I would defiantly not make those to order though. Plan for your average amount of fresh to start the day and look into a blast freezer and a vertical freezer for the rest, steaming isn't going to change the consistency if they don't take a long time to cool. That way you save any uncooked leftovers and have plenty on hand for larger events. 
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5