Helpful ReplyBarbiere's Italian Inn (Milwaukee)

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7612
2015/07/18 22:27:51 (permalink)

Barbiere's Italian Inn (Milwaukee)

A couple of weeks ago Mrs. Chicken and I stopped at Barbiere's Italian Inn on Bluemound Road after a Brewers game.  Bluemound from the ballpark west to I-94 has a lot of dining options and after finding Barbiere's online I really wanted to check it out; we'd tried once before but at 6pm on a Saturday local parking's at a premium, and while trying to find a spot we observed a lot of people going in so we pushed it back to another time.  But all was not lost, as we hit George Webb instead.

Barbiere's has been around since 1963 and the original location at 106th and Bluemound moved 48 blocks east in 1973.  The Brewers had a 1:10 game on June 27, so this time when we got there there were only a couple of occupied tables.

The interior's not exactly brightly lit but I left this one a little dark for emphasis.

First up was the "Snack", 2 homemade meatballs in homemade sauce.  The bowl is outfitted with a soup spoon because not only does it make plating the meatballs easier, it also allows somebody to finish the leftover sauce.  Although I'm not saying who that somebody is.

The meatballs are pretty mild and not overly seasoned nor "bursting with flavor", but that's not a bad thing.  In fact, I'd have to say that with the sauce they were just really, really nice.

The Snack comes with a side salad, which is Mrs. C's department and she said it was pretty good.

And if the salad isn't enough, a piece of split-loaf garlic bread is also included.  Snack?  For some this is actually a nice lunch or light dinner!  The bread's good by itself but I think it's perfect for dunking in the sauce.

This is the "Cudighi" sandwich.  I don't know what Cudighi means...maybe it's an Italian version of Cudahy?  We would've liked the sausage patty more had it had maybe a little more salt and fennel, but the bread was nicely toasted and the sauce helped.  And if customers have been liking it this way for 52 years, who am I to question it?

Prior to visiting Barbiere's I polled a few Milwaukee members of The Contingent, and Stricken_detective made it quite clear that we were to get a pizza.  As she scares the dickens out of me, I made sure a small (8") thin-crust sausage & mushroom pie was part of the visit.

We were not led astray, as this was a really good pizza.  Crisp crust, sauce not too sweet, good proportions...winner!  Oddly, it seemed like the pizza sausage had more flavor than the sausage patty in the sandwich, which is kind of puzzling.

If we lived in the neighborhood (if we ever come into big money we're going to buy a house near Miller Park to use just for game days) I'm sure we'd eat a lot of Barbiere's pizza and mix in the occasional sit-down visit as well.  But for now we'll just have to try to get there once a season or so.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2015/07/18 23:01:09
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8460
Re: Barbiere's Italian Inn (Milwaukee) 2015/07/18 22:53:13 (permalink)
Food looks good, but Italian sausage without Fennel????? Don't think so!!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7612
Re: Barbiere's Italian Inn (Milwaukee) 2015/07/18 23:05:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cousin-ick 2016/03/29 17:48:41
To be honest, as it's been a few weeks since we were there I can't say for sure how much fennel the sausage patty had...I see that how I wrote it makes it sound like there was none at all, but I'm not totally sure that was the case.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: Barbiere's Italian Inn (Milwaukee) 2015/07/19 00:18:49 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
To be honest, as it's been a few weeks since we were there I can't say for sure how much fennel the sausage patty had...I see that how I wrote it makes it sound like there was none at all, but I'm not totally sure that was the case.

hopefully it had enough you can taste it. That makes Italian sausage "Italian" sausage!!!
Ketteract
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 893
Re: Barbiere's Italian Inn (Milwaukee) 2015/07/19 07:33:00 (permalink)
I would have been tempted to slice up the meatballs, lay them out on the garlic bread, pour on some of that sauce, and then shake on some cheese for an improvised pre-pizza pizza!
post edited by Ketteract - 2015/07/19 07:34:46
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4365
Re: Barbiere's Italian Inn (Milwaukee) 2015/07/19 09:35:56 (permalink)

Ketteract - my thinking exactly!

ScreamingChicken - the salad would have suited my dining needs just fine!  BTW - was there any sporting event occupying space at Miller Park? 
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10207
Re: Barbiere's Italian Inn (Milwaukee) 2015/07/19 10:23:13 (permalink)
Glad you went there, SC. It has been several years since I have been there and am glad the pizza is as good as ever. Time for a return visit!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22282
Re: Barbiere's Italian Inn (Milwaukee) 2015/07/19 10:26:29 (permalink)
FYI: Cudighi is a Yooper thing. It's an Italian sausage that I thought could be found only in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. In the UP you can get it sweet or hot.
Wintahaba
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 494
Re: Barbiere's Italian Inn (Milwaukee) 2015/07/19 10:39:24 (permalink)
Brad, Nice pics and report, thanks again. We had a pizza place here that started in the UP and featured "Cudighi"...advertised w/ no fennel...rather strange I thought. Gathered this info from Chowhound.....
Cudighi (aka Yooper Sausage)
"I live in Memphis, TN and have been eating the same unique Italian sausage my entire life. There is only one place left in town to buy it. It's made without fennel and has a very distinctive taste because it's made with red wine, cinnamon, nutmeg, and some other spices.
While doing some research on the internet I came across cudighi and read about its prevalence in the UP. This must be the same recipe. From what I can tell the original recipe came from Northern Italy. As far as I can tell, Memphis and the UP are the only places in the US where this specific sausage is made."

lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11262
Re: Barbiere's Italian Inn (Milwaukee) 2015/07/19 12:04:08 (permalink)
SC
Great report and pictures and the food looks really good! 
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4498
Re: Barbiere's Italian Inn (Milwaukee) 2015/07/19 12:12:59 (permalink)
Thanks Brad. Pretty sad when an out-of-towner has to point out good local restaurants for me.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: Barbiere's Italian Inn (Milwaukee) 2015/07/19 12:57:19 (permalink)
Wintahaba
Brad, Nice pics and report, thanks again. We had a pizza place here that started in the UP and featured "Cudighi"...advertised w/ no fennel...rather strange I thought. Gathered this info from Chowhound.....
Cudighi (aka Yooper Sausage)
"I live in Memphis, TN and have been eating the same unique Italian sausage my entire life. There is only one place left in town to buy it. It's made without fennel and has a very distinctive taste because it's made with red wine, cinnamon, nutmeg, and some other spices.
While doing some research on the internet I came across cudighi and read about its prevalence in the UP. This must be the same recipe. From what I can tell the original recipe came from Northern Italy. As far as I can tell, Memphis and the UP are the only places in the US where this specific sausage is made."

Fascinating...live and learn...I'd love to give that a try!
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5