Barnaby's (Des Plaines, IL)

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9233
2015/05/09 00:05:32 (permalink)

Barnaby's (Des Plaines, IL)

When I was growing up in the mid-1970s outside of Cherry Valley, IL, our go-to pizza place was Barnaby's, located on Rockford's far east side (it might not've even been incorporated as part of the city back then) on Perryville Road just north of Harrison Avenue (I'm positive I'm not the only map junkie here).  It was mere minutes from my parents' house and until some other pizza options came along late in the decade it fed the family on many a Friday night.

A few years ago I started looking around on the web to see if Barnaby's, which was to my recollection a small northern Illinois/southeastern Wisconsin chain, was still around.  I came across locations in the Chicago suburbs of Arlington Heights and Des Plaines and vowed that I would visit at least one of them one day, and when last weekend's Chicago Hot Dog & Italian Beef Crawl became reality I realized it would be a great opportunity to keep my promise.

The Des Plaines Barnaby's is in kind of a sucky location at the northeast corner of Touhy Avenue and Wolf Road, but it looks just like it did 40 years ago.

Every Barnaby's had 2 large exterior murals showing happy, healthy people of the 18th century enjoying some fine family fare.  In reality, every member of this family died before the age of 30 and no way did mom look this good after 3 kids delivered without the benefit of modern medical knowledge and epidurals.  (My apologies for not having a polarizing filter handy.)

In keeping with the Merry Olde England theme, Barnaby's is dark inside.  Dark incandescent lighting (better than sputtering candles and flickering oil lamps, I suppose).  Dark wood booths.  Just...dark.  Back in ye olde days every booth had a small pocket (made of dark wood, of course) attached to the low wall and these pockets contained menu slips and a pencil, which were used to create the order which was then taken to the cashier because there was no table service (at this location the slips and pencils have been abandoned in favor of ordering with the cashier).  There was also a big 8x8 (maybe 10x10?  Maybe larger?) beam on the floor in front of the windows that looked into the pizza kitchen, and that's where us kids would stand and watch the process.  And from what I remember I think this Barnaby's might still have the original oven and oven clock.

P.S.  That's not really Patrick Sharp.

Barnaby's also offered/offers grilled items, which were/are cooked over a gas flame in a centrally located open area.  It's tough to tell here but if you look between the woman at the bar (where you also picked up your soft drink orders) and the guy who needs to put down his phone and pay attention to the world around him you can see the menu plaques (guess what they're made of) above the grill area.  We very rarely ordered from the grill but a lot of the choices did seem familiar, although at prices that aren't as low as I remember.  Come to think of it, I don't think we ever ordered from the grill after that time I shot my brother with a ketchup packet.

The standard family order: half sausage & mushroom, half pepperoni & mushroom (and often a second pizza with green peppers and onions for my dad).  I'm pretty sure the pizza from our Barnaby's had tighter crust edges with fewer fractures.

Appearance and flavor-wise this pizza was pretty much what I remember (the taste of the sausage gave me the best flashback) from 35+ years ago, although I have to be honest and say that it could easily be because I really wanted it to be the same.  After all, what's the point in recreating a childhood memory if it's going to be a disappointment?  Still, it was a good pizza that came burn-the-roof-of-your-mouth hot from the oven and I'm glad I was finally able to have one again.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2015/05/09 00:50:17

10 Replies Related Threads

ChiTownDiner
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5394
    Re: Barnaby's (Des Plaines, IL) 2015/05/09 00:26:19 (permalink)
    Did you have your own booth here also?
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re: Barnaby's (Des Plaines, IL) 2015/05/09 00:46:07 (permalink)
    As a matter of fact, I did.

People respect the Chicken's space.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6627
    Re: Barnaby's (Des Plaines, IL) 2015/05/09 01:54:06 (permalink)
    All this while we were eating that crappy Polish food a few miles down the road.

Buddy
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5802
    Re: Barnaby's (Des Plaines, IL) 2015/05/09 09:03:06 (permalink)
    SC - Barnaby's sure sounds familiar, but I don't think I ever ate there. I think there was a franchise on the west side of Madison, maybe at Westowne Mall (I grew up on the other side of the tracks).

Did you also re-live your teenage memory of peeling out the Trans Am in front of your high school crush's house? Or is the restraining order still in place?
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3677
    Re: Barnaby's (Des Plaines, IL) 2015/05/09 09:37:59 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re: Barnaby's (Des Plaines, IL) 2015/05/09 09:57:28 (permalink)
    I have no such history...the closest I can come was doing reverse drops in my parents' '76 Plymouth Volare station wagon, which had the authentic fake woodgrain decals on the sides.

BuddyRoadhouse
    All this while we were eating that crappy Polish food a few miles down the road.

A few miles down the road and 24 hours earlier...
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5802
    Re: Barnaby's (Des Plaines, IL) 2015/05/09 10:09:28 (permalink)
    chicagostyledog
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Z7AEPem_0

Very impressive. 0 to 0 in 1:13.

What does a set of those rear tires cost?
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10403
    Re: Barnaby's (Des Plaines, IL) 2015/05/09 10:53:44 (permalink)
    I have such fond memories of Barnabys. I loved their pizzas. I certainly would have joined you Brad, but I was having the most fantastic fish fry with Dale that night...
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7330
    Re: Barnaby's (Des Plaines, IL) 2015/05/09 12:36:06 (permalink)
    In the early '70's Barnaby's was the 'go-to' place for pizza in Charlottesville.  I used to love to take the wife & kids.  Long gone now.

As it was (is?) a franchise chain the pics above bring back many warm memories. 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23230
    Re: Barnaby's (Des Plaines, IL) 2015/05/09 13:16:34 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    As a matter of fact, I did.

People respect the Chicken's space.

I certainly respect the Chicken's space.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5