scrumptiouschef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2355
2018/11/03 10:49:50 (permalink)

8 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9576
    Re: Basic fare: meat and potatoes 2018/11/03 12:09:53 (permalink)
    I guess I'm a pizza and pasta man!
    phlmaestro
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 846
    Re: Basic fare: meat and potatoes 2018/11/03 13:26:22 (permalink)
    Enjoyed that article. I've become a little bit more of a basic steak or roast guy as I've gotten older. I enjoy hash browns or fries on the side with a steak or burger, but sometimes skip them because of how filling they are. I usually like to save room for desert or have a shake with a burger.

In the very middle-class suburb north of Philadelphia where I grew up from the late 60s through the early 80s, I was one of the only kids - probably the only one that I was aware of - whose parents regularly took him downtown, and those trips often included visits to Chinatown. We also used to take out pizza semi-regularly from the time I was very young. But I think that in a lot of the houses surrounding us - including those where some of my closest friends lived - they stuck to a very basic meat and potatoes diet.  I know my father has told me that his Kosher Jewish mother would make brisket and roasted potatoes almost every night for dinner when he was a kid. 

When it came to eating at home, I do remember my mother serving red meat (steak or burgers for the most part, with an occasional pot roast) most of the time until around the early-to-mid 70s, when she started branching out. I think the price of meat was going up at that point too. She also always made my father a salad of ice burg lettuce topped with Russian dressing, which she would make herself. I don't remember potatoes being part of the meal most of the time. I think our sides were usually frozen vegetables. 
    post edited by phlmaestro - 2018/11/03 13:29:05
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8665
    Re: Basic fare: meat and potatoes 2018/11/03 18:17:12 (permalink)
    We were definitely a meat-and-potatoes family when I was growing up.  Plenty of hamburgers, pork chops and chicken during the week and roast beef was often on the Sunday menu, and they were almost always accompanied by some form of potato.

Sadly, Phil Silvers' "Bilko's Beef" steakhouse chain never really caught on...

(Photo from the article linked in the o.p.)
    scrumptiouschef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2355
    Re: Basic fare: meat and potatoes 2018/11/03 18:30:30 (permalink)
    We slaughtered a young steer at least once a year and filled the deep freeze up with the meat. Mom and dad also raised an enormous, football field sized vegetable garden that was harvested with all the produce being canned or seal-a-meal'd and put in the freezer.

We did not go hungry.

The family loved it when mom would buy a new cookbook, and start making Russian, Mexican or Chinese food. We bragged on her all the time, and that spurred her onto greater heights in the kitchen.

I miss those days.
    mlm
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 596
    Re: Basic fare: meat and potatoes 2018/11/03 18:31:54 (permalink)
    Phlmaestro, your grandmother sounds like my mother. I'm sure that my father's preferences were behind the fact that about 350 dinners out of the year, when I lived at home during the 60s, 70s, and 80s, were largely plain meat and potatoes. For what it was, there was nothing WRONG with my mother' cooking, it was just so very standard that it got very tiresome for me. They were very much salt and pepper people. She would add some onion and garlic and she had some spices in a kitchen drawer which mostly sat there getting older and older. I mean, from one year to the next. She served lettuce and tomato and frozen vegetables because she insisted. My father reluctantly ate them with plenty of salad dressing and salt and pepper. She fixed kidney bean salad at times and sometimes canned baked or Ranch Style beans, always as a side. Every once in a while, a couple times a month, she would fix pasta or soup or macaroni and cheese and made delicious white beans and corn pone in the winter. Sometimes we got take out pizza or chicken which was a treat. After Daddy died, mother told me that she would have liked to be more adventuresome but that he wasn't willing. After he was gone, though, she mostly gave up cooking and ate frozen foods. I don't think she was especially interested in cooking. I can still really enjoy a meat and potatoes dinner but I sure wouldn't want to go back to the plain ol' same ol'.... I need more seasoning. Definitely a first world problem, though, when you think of all the people who don't have enough to eat.
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5654
    Re: Basic fare: meat and potatoes 2018/11/04 12:07:35 (permalink)
    I did not know, growing up in KC, that we, along with the other cities mentioned, were shamed and ridiculed for loving our meat and potatoes back in the day. I’m so glad to find this out even if a few years late.
    We certainly apologize to the Coasts.
    post edited by 1bbqboy - 2018/11/04 12:08:38
    mlm
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Basic fare: meat and potatoes 2018/11/04 13:18:15 (permalink)
    I have a copy of Jane and Michael' book 'Square Meals' which I have read over and over. It has a number of meat and potato recipes which make me drool.
    mlm
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Basic fare: meat and potatoes 2018/11/04 13:32:16 (permalink)
    scrumptiouschef
    We slaughtered a young steer at least once a year and filled the deep freeze up with the meat. Mom and dad also raised an enormous, football field sized vegetable garden that was harvested with all the produce being canned or seal-a-meal'd and put in the freezer.

We did not go hungry.

The family loved it when mom would buy a new cookbook, and start making Russian, Mexican or Chinese food. We bragged on her all the time, and that spurred her onto greater heights in the kitchen.

I miss those days.

A memory of my Daddy which makes me both laugh and cringe involves his general unwillingness to branch out foodwise, and, by the way, his lack of tact. My mother had made a curry of leftover chicken or pork which she and I enjoyed. She would make curry maybe once or twice a year. I will never forget standing in the kitchen watching my father ladle large  amounts of Pace salsa over his serving of curry. When I asked my mother about it later she told me that had been his attempt to cover up the taste of the curry. I thought it was very rude of him to 'doctor' his serving so extensively right in front of her and I can't imagine that it helped the flavor. That was when I gave up on my father' tastes. After we moved to Texas we always had some Pace around but he usually just ate it on eggs. It wouldn't have hurt him to JUST EAT the curry.
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5