Author
Mrs.Crunch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 203
2019/03/06 13:48:21 (permalink)

Bayan Ko in Chicago

Bayan Ko  1810 W Montrose Ave, Chicago, IL 60613
https://bayankochicago.com/reservations. CLOSED Monday and Sunday

We arrived right when they opened, there was no one else in the restaurant the whole time we ate there. The restaurant is
quite small & gets extremely busy after 5:00pm so a reservation is a Must. Here we have Croqueta Tots which were
made of Smoked Ham hocks and served with Aioli. The tots missed the mark for us, while great flavor the texture once bitten into was too pasty. The Lumpia (not pictured) with pork, scallions and Garlic sauce was very good however a tad too greasy. I have never had “Lechon” I was expecting the Pork belly to be crispy but tender, unfortunately the fat on the pork was tough, I found it really unpleasant to eat so I only ate the meat on the bottom of each piece which was of course spare since it was Pork Belly. Also ordered the Cuban sandwich which was a winner served with Plantain Chips, nothing special about the Cuban sandwich but a solid choice if you are not that adventurous. Our server was great, the kitchen staff super friendly ( you will need to go thou the kitchen if you need to use the one restroom) In hindsight, I would order something differently but I would encourage a visit here since its been receiving a lot of great media attention for their cuisine. Right across the street is a lovely little Chocolate/ Ice cream candy shop called “Margie’s Candies” which is a Chicago institution. Great tasting chocolates at a very reasonable price.

Attached Image(s)

2 Replies Related Threads

ChiTownDiner
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5394
    Re: Bayan Ko in Chicago 2019/03/07 16:48:34 (permalink)
    Never fun when you wish u had ordered differently.  I am a Margie's fan which is always a fun visit!  
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6627
    Re: Bayan Ko in Chicago 2019/03/07 17:19:39 (permalink)
    Just a few doors west of Bayan Ko, on the other side of the El tracks, is Glenn's Diner, site of an epic dinner for The Contingent back in 2008.  Glenn's "diner" monicker belies its outstanding seafood menu.  Something to put on your list for your next visit.

EDIT: Upon further examination of that old thread, it turns out Mrs. Crunch was a participant!  I guess this makes long lost friends.  Be sure to scroll through the whole report.  There are lots of great pictures beyond the post I linked.
    Buddy
    post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2019/03/07 17:29:58
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5