Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaines!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6627
2016/04/05 16:55:41 (permalink)

Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaines!

Hello fellow Contingencies!  As the weather starts coming around, we start thinking about all the new food stuff we can share over the course of the warmer months.  I’ve got a couple of ideas I thought I’d float.  I’ll use two different threads with two separate Doodle Polls to gauge interest and schedule an appropriate date.

The first get together would take place over the summer and it involves a return trip to Des Plaines.  Our last visit to my hometown in 2013 was described thusly:

Pie Diva
This was my very favorite eat & greet! We have learned to pace ourselves and not get over full. Loved the shopping! We just don't have those kind of places up here. And I didn't think I was going to enjoy the slot cars as much as I did. It was as much fun trying to keep the cars on the track as it was racing. Thanks Buddy! Loved it!

chicagostyledog
Our hats are off to Buddy Roadhouse for one of the finest, funnest, tours in Contingent history! Great job!
Great food! Great company!

Mark, Nina, & Sam

JRPfeff
Awesome day!  Well paced dining, fun variety of activities & great food.  As I told BuddyRoadhouse, I was amazed at all Des Plaines has to offer. 

Since that last tour, Des Plaines has added many worthwhile eateries, some of which are already known and loved by some Contingent members.  First and foremost is Boston Fish Market, a combination seafood monger and casual sit down restaurant.  We visited sometime back with abe_froeman, Mr. Maki, X1 and quijote (and Sancho Panza).  We had a remarkable seafood dinner for a very reasonable price.  I think it’s safe to say everyone was greatly impressed.

We also have Satiago’s Puerto Rican restaurant, getting a lot of love (much of it mine) lately on LTHForum.com.  They’re serving an array of delicious Caribbean sandwiches, apps, and entrees for darn near dirt cheap.  Also on the Latino side is La Michoacana, a Mexican Ice cream parlor also serving Paletas (Mexican fruit popsicles), and Mangonadas (sort of a sweet/sour/salty/spicy fruit salad featuring fresh mango, mango sorbet, and hot sauce).  There’s also nearly a half dozen Taquerias that are worth investigating.  We’d pick just one.

We’ve got a new challenger for “Best Burger” in town.  Paradise Pup may have the reputation, but American WildBurger is making its move with an organic grass fed beef Burger and fresh cut fries.  Also, they just happen to use Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce on some of their specialty Burgers.

I’ve recently become aware of a slew of Eastern European (Bosnian and Serbian, specifically) restaurants opening up around town.  Bosna Grill looks especially promising.  It's a little bit "divey", so you know that appeals to me.  I’ll be doing some "research" there in the very near future.  We’re also fans of Eagle Svk (yup, that’s how you spell it), especially their dessert specialty, simply called “Caramel”.  It’s actually an amazing Balkan crossover between Flan and Crème Brulee.  Rich custard served in a deep bowl with a crisp flambéed crust; dig down to the bottom and there’s a heavenly caramel syrup waiting for you, filled with burnt sugar goodness.

For non-eating activities we can go to the McDonald’s Museum, featuring a reproduction of the nation’s very first McDonald’s store that opened here in Des Plaines.  We can make a return trip to Shop & Save’s amazing Deli Counter.  Maybe even visit any of the many Asian Supermarkets scattered across the area. 

And how about slot cars, anyone???

So that’s the pitch.  Here’s the Doodle Poll.  You’ll notice some of these dates overlap with potential dates for Smoke/Pie Day.  Once the date for that event has been set in stone, we’ll defer to it and eliminate that day for this tour.

The other tour will be scheduled for the fall.  You can find details for the Fox River Valley Taqueria Tour here.
See you all at the next Supper Club meet up where we can discuss these meet ups further.

Buddy

42 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9240
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/04/06 08:22:11 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    First and foremost is Boston Fish Market, a combination seafood monger and casual sit down restaurant.  We visited sometime back with abe_froeman, Mr. Maki, X1 and quijote (and Sancho Panza).  We had a remarkable seafood dinner for a very reasonable price.  I think it’s safe to say everyone was greatly impressed.

Has Don's Dock ever been a candidate for a visit?  It's been in business and owned by the same family for 65 years so it would seem to qualify, but I can't recall you ever mentioning it.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/04/06 15:05:15 (permalink)
    The reason is, I've never been overly impressed with the food at Don's Dock.  That is to say, there's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't light a fire the way Boston Fish Market does.  I've tried the Dock on numerous occasions, always keeping an open mind and genuinely wanting to like the place.  But it's always struck me as kind of ordinary.

I'm more than willing to give them another try between now and when this tour gets scheduled.  If something has changed, I'd be more than happy to include them.

Buddy
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5803
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/04/06 15:24:19 (permalink)
    Since Burt's is no longer an option, I think Barnaby's is now mandatory.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/04/06 15:31:51 (permalink)
    Barnaby's definitely qualifies as a Des Plaines entity.  But I'm pretty sure we can do better.

Buddy
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 991
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/04/06 16:27:52 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Barnaby's definitely qualifies as a Des Plaines entity.  But I'm pretty sure we can do better.

Buddy

Salerno's is close-ish to Des Plaines.
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/04/06 16:31:39 (permalink)
    How close is Weber Stephen Products? Do they give tours?

There is no substitute for Barnaby's.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/04/06 17:28:06 (permalink)
    JRPfeff
    How close is Weber Stephen Products? Do they give tours?

Palatine; not that far.  Good thought for a non-eating stop.  I'll look into the tours.

JRPfeff
    There is no substitute for Barnaby's.

Thanks goodness.

Buddy
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/04/06 19:13:52 (permalink)
    Oooh, new today...

joerogo
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5326
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/04/06 19:16:42 (permalink)
    JRPfeff
    Oooh, new today...

Niiiice!
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/04/06 19:22:50 (permalink)
    Joe - Weber debuted these today. I want one, but not for over $1000.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/04/06 20:56:42 (permalink)
    Lot's of posts on this thread from the Pfeff Pfaction and still no sign up on the Doodle Poll.  Holding out for a personal invitation?

OK.

Please, JRPfeff and Pie Diva (and family, if interested) sign up on the Doodle Poll.

And what's your story Rogo?  Now that you have family in the area, you're hanging around these parts more than JRP and PD combined.  Gonna sign up?

Buddy
    joerogo
    Sirloin
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/04/07 07:49:40 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Lot's of posts on this thread from the Pfeff Pfaction and still no sign up on the Doodle Poll.  Holding out for a personal invitation?

OK.

Please, JRPfeff and Pie Diva (and family, if interested) sign up on the Doodle Poll.

And what's your story Rogo?  Now that you have family in the area, you're hanging around these parts more than JRP and PD combined.  Gonna sign up?

Buddy

I'll wait until a date is chosen and see if I can work around it.....and find a hotel deal! 
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3661
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/04/07 12:52:54 (permalink)
    I'm busy most weekends in the Summer and Fall but if I can I'll change plans once you have a firm date. Ditto for any and all get togethers.
    irisarbor
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 771
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/04/11 16:35:50 (permalink)
    I agree on Boston Fish, 
    had some takeout last week- Fried Walleye was stellar! 
    Calamari was solid, and shrimp were excellent. but that Walleye.... mmmmm
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10403
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/04/16 14:29:25 (permalink)
    I tried to do the doodle poll and it instructed me to hit save-which I didn't see on there. Am I just being an idiot?
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/04/16 16:02:35 (permalink)
    ann, lower right corner, just below the totals.

Buddy
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/04/16 17:22:15 (permalink)
    Thanks-I realized I hade to scroll sideways to get to it...
    joerogo
    Sirloin
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/04/17 06:44:29 (permalink)
    ann peeples
    Thanks-I realized I hade to scroll sideways to get to it...

Ya take a couple months off and we hafta retrain you! 
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/04/17 09:43:22 (permalink)
    Joe-that's exactly how I felt!!
    Gyp
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 272
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/04/21 15:25:33 (permalink)
    Doodle poll updated with my selections.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/05/18 14:32:49 (permalink)
    Go to Pittsburgh and eat a Pierogi...check.  Drive up to Oconomowoc for the best Friday Fish Fry yet...check.

Now that the preliminaries are out of the way, time to refocus on the next couple of tours.  The Doodle Poll narrows down the field to a handful of dates.  Sunday, June 12th has the most votes, followed by Sunday, August 14th; then Sunday, July 17th; and Sunday July 31st.  Oddly enough, all the Saturdays, save one, had more "nos" than "yeses".

Recognizing that schedules can change, do any one of those dates have any more appeal than the others?  A Sunday tour means we won't have Boston Fish Market on the list, but we can still find plenty of other stops to make the day worthwhile.

I'm hoping to get some feedback while I visit Cleveland for a few days on business.  I'll pick this up in earnest when I get back home.

Buddy
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/05/18 14:39:26 (permalink)
    Let's do June and open up the rest of summer for other shenanigans.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23238
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/05/18 14:49:35 (permalink)
    Stay away from Giuseppi's, unless you enjoy slimy chicken in your chicken parmigiana.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/05/18 14:54:50 (permalink)
    MH,
    I don't and we will (stay away, that is).  When the heck did you visit Giuseppe's?  And why?

JRP,
    Just to confirm; you're looking at Sunday, July 3rd for Not Smoke Day, correct?

Buddy
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/05/18 15:00:35 (permalink)
    Yes. That is the unpublished plan.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/05/18 16:40:34 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    MH,
    I don't and we will (stay away, that is).  When the heck did you visit Giuseppe's?  And why?

JRP,
    Just to confirm; you're looking at Sunday, July 3rd for Not Smoke Day, correct?

Buddy

Last year during the crawl. I think some went to a Mexican restaurant one night and we'd fallen asleep back at the motel. We ended up looking for a place to get a late meal and ended up at Giuseppe's, which was just up the street from the Best Western.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/05/19 02:16:46 (permalink)
    Sorry you suffered the indignities of Giuseppe's,  You shoulda called for some guidance.  Oh well, come back to DP and we'll take you to the good places.

Buddy
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/05/19 12:41:53 (permalink)
    It would be nice. We really enjoyed the area. Psst! Don't tell anyone,  but I got a pretty good carnitas burrito at a McDonald's in Des Plaines early one morning.
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Because The Contingent liked it so much the first time, we're going Back To Des Plaine 2016/05/19 13:05:26 (permalink)
    Buddy,

There's a common theme in your two threads. Maybe we can send Michael and Brad on a fastfood eating extravaganza. Be like one of those Hope & Crosby road movies - Road to Indigestion.

jrp
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5