Beginning Concession stand french fries

Author
Bigolekenyup
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2017/02/19 12:21:40 (permalink)

Beginning Concession stand french fries

So I just started a food booth and am making fresh cut fries. I don't have the refrigerator space to chill my cut fries in water before cooking. Also don't have the storage space to precook the fries at 300 before then drain and cook again at higher temps when orders come in. Wondering what would be the best method, oil, temp to just take my whole potato, cut them and drop em for cooking.
My process now, I use the large Idaho potato and have a fry cutter. I slice the whole potato into a small container and drop straight into my oil. Using vegetable oil with a table top deep fryer at 375 and I cook for about 6-7 min. They do sometimes stick together so about 1-2 min in I'll pull the basket out give em a shake then drop them back in to finish.
Any suggestions on how to make this process stay simple and get some better fries? Small booth, not a lot of storage but at times we've gotten busy and go through a fair amount of fries.

6 Replies Related Threads

Wintahaba
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re: Beginning Concession stand french fries 2017/02/19 12:33:06 (permalink)
    Honestly, If you can't do the first 2 steps, your quality will always suffer IMO.
    scrumptiouschef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2417
    Re: Beginning Concession stand french fries 2017/02/19 16:34:33 (permalink)
    Bigolekenyup
    So I just started a food booth and am making fresh cut fries. I don't have the refrigerator space to chill my cut fries in water before cooking. Also don't have the storage space to precook the fries at 300 before then drain and cook again at higher temps when orders come in. Wondering what would be the best method, oil, temp to just take my whole potato, cut them and drop em for cooking.
    My process now, I use the large Idaho potato and have a fry cutter. I slice the whole potato into a small container and drop straight into my oil. Using vegetable oil with a table top deep fryer at 375 and I cook for about 6-7 min. They do sometimes stick together so about 1-2 min in I'll pull the basket out give em a shake then drop them back in to finish.
    Any suggestions on how to make this process stay simple and get some better fries? Small booth, not a lot of storage but at times we've gotten busy and go through a fair amount of fries.

You're out of options. But you are to be commended for making honest potatoes instead of just using a frozen commodity product. If you want pluperfect french fries you have to blanch, rest, and refry. There's no getting around the process.
    Bigolekenyup
    Junior Burger
    Re: Beginning Concession stand french fries 2017/02/19 18:05:29 (permalink)
    Had an idea, could we keep whole potatoes in a large container soaking in ice water. Then when we get an order pull one out, cut it, dry it and drop em?
    Wintahaba
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Beginning Concession stand french fries 2017/02/20 11:00:04 (permalink)
    Bigolekenyup
    Had an idea, could we keep whole potatoes in a large container soaking in ice water. Then when we get an order pull one out, cut it, dry it and drop em?

No, It would not make a difference. Sorry.
    Bigolekenyup
    Junior Burger
    Re: Beginning Concession stand french fries 2017/02/20 11:10:44 (permalink)
    Wintahaba
    Bigolekenyup

No, It would not make a difference. Sorry.

thanks! looks like im back to the drawing board to figure out how to reconfigure my set up to make better fries. 
    Wintahaba
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Beginning Concession stand french fries 2017/02/20 11:24:15 (permalink)
    It's first all about getting the starch out. Cut/Soak in cold Water/Drain/Re soak fresh cold water/Drain/Blanch/Hold on trays until finishing. So simple it's hard...can't skip a step.
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5