Helpful ReplyBeing Voted Best Burger In America Apparently Isn't All It's Cracked Up To Be

Author
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1838
2018/01/27 11:03:08 (permalink)

Being Voted Best Burger In America Apparently Isn't All It's Cracked Up To Be

Apparently fame has a price when you're a famous burger bar, as the folks at Stanich's in Portland, OR have found out. Long lines and a slammed grill are among the price you pay for foodie fame. And you don't get to clean as often, or as well as you might otherwise do. Here's hoping that things get better for the longtime Portland favourite.

http://www.oregonlive.com...r_americas_best_b.html
Ram4
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 60
Re: Being Voted Best Burger In America Apparently Isn't All It's Cracked Up To Be 2018/04/17 19:01:20 (permalink)
Kuma's Corner here was named best in the country on one list.  They regularly have 2 hours waits and refuse to let anyone cut the line even if they are a celebrity (Lady Gaga had to wait).  People fly in for the burgers.  They now have other locations, but the original one is the true experience.  One trick is to eat at the bar.  If you see someone drinking and not ordering food, you can have them move for you.  The thinking is those who drink can stand.  The grill is tiny, the restaurant is small, so you have to wait.  But they NEVER rush you once you are seated.
Ketteract
  • Total Posts : 1074
Re: Being Voted Best Burger In America Apparently Isn't All It's Cracked Up To Be 2018/04/18 05:39:33 (permalink)
If I want Louis' Lunch, I have to go off-hours, and if I want Sally's or Pepe's (the original Pepe's, not the other locations), I have to go right when they open, and at no other time. It's the only way to avoid obnoxious waits.
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 110
Re: Being Voted Best Burger In America Apparently Isn't All It's Cracked Up To Be 2018/11/19 08:18:01 (permalink)
A mea culpa from the Thrillist writer who killed Stanich's.  (It's a long read).

https://www.thrillist.com...it-reopen-burger-quest
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9240
Re: Being Voted Best Burger In America Apparently Isn't All It's Cracked Up To Be 2018/11/19 14:06:26 (permalink)
A long read but a good one.
Ketteract
  • Total Posts : 1074
Re: Being Voted Best Burger In America Apparently Isn't All It's Cracked Up To Be 2018/11/20 11:43:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ScreamingChicken 2018/11/21 09:00:08
BayouCityNosh
A mea culpa from the Thrillist writer who killed Stanich's.  (It's a long read).

https://www.thrillist.com...it-reopen-burger-quest

Some of the comments on that article make my head hurt.  They berate the restaurant for being unable to handle the sudden influx of new customers, saying they should have done this or that.  These people don't understand that many old-time local joints are as much about community and atmosphere as they are about the food, and yeah, turning them into tourist destinations can easily destroy that.  Pepe's has expanded.  Good for them.  Not every establishment wants to do that.

I've been to my share of such places where I was keenly aware of my outsider status as I walked in.  They didn't refuse to serve me or anything, but it was impossible to miss the sense that they liked things exactly as they were.  Nothing wrong with that - hell, that's a hallmark of so many entries in Roadfood's index.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4778
Re: Being Voted Best Burger In America Apparently Isn't All It's Cracked Up To Be 2018/11/20 20:22:12 (permalink)
I just heard of Killer Burger (looks like it is nearby)
https://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/killer-burger-kills-it/Content?oid=5766830
 ... anybody been there?
pdxyyz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 412
Re: Being Voted Best Burger In America Apparently Isn't All It's Cracked Up To Be 2018/11/21 13:54:50 (permalink)
I've eaten at both.  Stanich's was just a different animal, old time dive bar. Cash only. 
Killer Burger is a chain, although a good one, a little on the hipster side with the menu, I stick with the classic burger. Nice selection of micro brews on tap.
Sorry to see Stanich's go but sometimes you just loose what you had when it becomes so popular. Portland has a way of doing that. What once was the nice local place get's written up and then gets overworked and the load takes away from what it was that they did to become popular.
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5