Berlin Pizza - Berlin, CT

Author
Ketteract
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1078
2018/02/25 07:50:23 (permalink)

Berlin Pizza - Berlin, CT

This is one of a handful of local establishments remaining on the Berlin Turnpike, and, in the best Roadfood tradition, it's hidden inside a small, unassuming structure.

I was in the mood for pizza, but not an entire one, and I'd forgotten that most places tend to not do slices on weekends. Well, I can be nimble. Hot dog it was.

How's that for an archetypal New England dog: the bun, the white cheese, the meat sauce? The sauce was, I'll say, on the better end of ones I've tried - not quite the standout of, say, Capitol Lunch, but far superior to Saint's. And the dog was a snappy Martin Rosol's.

Solid onion rings, and, unlike at some places, a good amount for your money.

When I saw they had Italian wedding soup today, I couldn't pass that up.

What can I say? It was everything you'd want out of Italian wedding soup. I only wish I could get a bigger bowl of it (maybe I should have just asked!).

Well worth a stop if you're on the turnpike and not feeling the IHOP/Chipotle/Wendy's/Arby's/McDonald's/Panera Bread love.

3 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9339
    Re: Berlin Pizza - Berlin, CT 2018/02/25 08:35:41 (permalink)
    Since you willingly passed on the pizza I'm guessing you've had it before, and since that's what you wanted when you stopped it must be pretty good.  At least there were some good alternatives!

Ketteract
    It was everything you'd want out of Italian wedding soup. I only wish I could get a bigger bowl of it (maybe I should have just asked!).

Since they sell carryout chili I'll bet you could've struck a deal for some soup.
    Ketteract
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1078
    Re: Berlin Pizza - Berlin, CT 2018/02/25 08:43:56 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    Since you willingly passed on the pizza I'm guessing you've had it before, and since that's what you wanted when you stopped it must be pretty good. 

Actually, I hadn't, but my understanding is that Berlin Pizza is one of those "pizza" places where you really go for something other than pizza - much like the chicken cutlets at Wethersfield Pizza House.  I was in the mood for pizza, but it wasn't a do-or-die mood.
    leethebard
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10391
    Re: Berlin Pizza - Berlin, CT 2018/02/25 10:23:01 (permalink)
    What you ordered looks great. That hotdog looks like the REAL thing...and oh,the wedding soup...but ,hell,I'm ALWAYS in the mood for pizza...but man cannot live on pizza alone(or can he???)
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5