Best Barbecue near Athens GA

Author
bailey1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2014/09/21 08:37:18 (permalink)

Best Barbecue near Athens GA

We will be going to Athens in two weeks for a football game and would like to taste some great southern Barbecue! Since we are from PA and have never been to GA I need some help. We are staying one night in Commerce and one night in Atlanta before going to New Orleans for vacation. Any help would be great.

9 Replies Related Threads

kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 444
    Re: Best Barbecue near Athens GA 2014/09/21 13:56:53 (permalink)
    bailey1
    We will be going to Athens in two weeks for a football game and would like to taste some great southern Barbecue! Since we are from PA and have never been to GA I need some help. We are staying one night in Commerce and one night in Atlanta before going to New Orleans for vacation. Any help would be great.

Two really easy to get to and very good Q are The Butt Hutt, and Dawg Gone Good. A lot of people tout Fresh Air, it's okay, but doesn't impress me much.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13822
    Re: Best Barbecue near Athens GA 2014/09/21 14:18:32 (permalink)
    I notified Ort Carlton who resides in Athens.  He should post as soon as he sees the notification.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Heartbreaksoup
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 629
    Re: Best Barbecue near Athens GA 2014/09/21 18:13:02 (permalink)
    Athens is the epicenter of some of my favorite barbecue in the world!  Here's my list of good, open ideas within about 40 miles:

Banjo’s Barbecue, Commerce GA
    Bar-B-Que Shack, Athens GA
    Bar-H Barbeque, Royston GA
    Butt Hutt, Athens GA
    Cabin Creek BBQ, Nicholson GA
    Crowe’s Bar-B-Que, Madison GA
    Fresh Air Bar-B-Que, Athens GA
    Harry’s Pig Shop, Athens GA
    Holcomb’s Bar-B-Q, Greensboro GA
    Hot Thomas Barbecue, Watkinsville GA
    Paul’s Bar-B-Q, Lexington GA
    Pig O’s Bar-B-Que, Crawford GA (truck and trailer)
    Pulaski Heights BBQ, Athens GA
    Redd’s Que & Stew, Jefferson GA
    Scott & BJ’s Bar-B-Q, Athens GA
    Smokin’ Po-Boys BBQ, Winder GA
    Zeb’s Bar-B-Q, Danielsville GA
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13822
    Re: Best Barbecue near Athens GA 2014/09/21 19:27:18 (permalink)
    Ort Carlton reported:  In order: Harry's, Pulaski Heights, Butt Hut, and Zeb's.  Ort has been in Athens forever and he ought to know. 

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    gregory sanders
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Best Barbecue near Athens GA 2014/09/26 18:13:46 (permalink)
    Ort is dead on as always. Zeb's is a 30 minute drive from Athens and if I'm driving that far out for que it's gonna be Smokin' Po Boys in Winder. Just ate there for lunch today. Hand's down the best pulled pork around. Sides and sauces are great too but that pulled pork is so good it don't need no durn sauce. Harry's is not a traditional bbq joint but it's real good. Those pork wontons are addictive. Pulaski Heights is what I call Hipster-Q. When hip, trained chefs who are bbq nerds open joints that celebrate everything about american bbq culture and do it dang good too. Everything there is just amazing. Don't expect the bbq hokum of rusting farm tools and smiling pigs on the walls. Butt Hutt has only been around for a few years but has become the standard bbq in town. This is what you should expect from a small town bbq joint. Everything is typical of the region, no tweeked recipes here. Butt Hutt is probably the only place around where one can buy a bowl of chicken mull, a regional chicken stew not well known outside of the Carolinas. Zeb's is from the beginning of time. It's way out in the sticks. The stew there is amazing.
    Large Man
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    Re: Best Barbecue near Athens GA 2014/09/27 21:40:02 (permalink)
    I disagree,  Zeb's is a shadow of what it used to be.  It seems rewarmed not fresh.  If you are heading that way, keep going to Bar H in Royston, the pit is out back. Butt Hutt is really good.  Harry's has a large following, it sits in an old shopping center.  Have not tried Pulaski Heights so can't comment.   Bar Be Que Shack on the eastside out on 78 is great.   Mary Hart runs it.   It is only open Thurs, Fri, Sat.  Nice chicken and pork.    Great banana pudding with meringue.  If you don't see smoke coming out from where they are cooking it out back, then you don't want it! Holcomb's in White Plains is ok.
    Heartbreaksoup
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Best Barbecue near Athens GA 2014/09/29 14:42:47 (permalink)
    Gregory, both Banjo's and Hot Thomas also serve mull, although of the three, I think Butt Hutt's is the best.  Bill's and Chub's were even better, and I hate that they've closed.
    Heartbreaksoup
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Best Barbecue near Athens GA 2014/09/29 14:42:47 (permalink)
    duplicate post, ignore
    bbqnsome
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Best Barbecue near Athens GA 2014/09/29 19:56:49 (permalink)
    I can't comment on Georgia but once you make it to NOLA you'll get the best BBQ from BBQnSome located at Bullets Sports Bar.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5