Best Brats in Wisconsin*

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/11 08:02:34 (permalink)
Oh,yes,Tenutas!!!!One of my FAVORITE places!!
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6657
RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/11 13:27:58 (permalink)
Frankly Mike, either Fred's or Sobelman's would be my first and second choice in no particular order before a Bratwurst anywhere in Kenosha. If this is really going to happen, let's hear from the folks who want to have a mini-meet for a Burger or Brat in January.

From a purely selfish point of view, let's pick a place that-

1. Has a big screen TV, and

2. Would be willing to show a wee bit of sympathy to the flatlanders who will want to watch the Bears playoff game.

In fact, it could get kind of interesting if we went to Fred's and the Bears are playing hometown boy Tony Romo's Dallas Cowboys. Hmmm, maybe a little too interesting. This will require some careful planning once the playoff schedule has solidified.

So let's hear it Cheeseheads and adventurous Flatlanders; who's up for a trek into the frozen north? Pick more than one Sunday when you'd be available and we'll coordinate whichever date will work best for the most people.

Wow, who'da thunk that a thread about Wisconsin's best Bratwurst would turn into a planning venue for a winter Roadfood get together?

Buddy

P.S. Just to throw a bone to the Original Poster and the subject of this thread, Karl's is an excellent butcher shop. They used to sell our sauces, and may still, if they are doing business with our distributor. I'm also partial to Ray's Butcher Shop over in Greenfield.

B.
packerwmn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/11 13:41:02 (permalink)
I was at Karl's this weekend - picked up some smoked pork chops (Kessler?). Any meat item I've ever gotten here has always been excellent.

Another good place for brats in Wisconsin is LeRoy's meat market in Horicon, Wi. They always have about 5 flavors to choose from - if not more in the summer. They also have excellent specials on their meat every week. I don't get here as often as I used to, because we used to camp in Horicon. But it is worth a 40 min. drive, when I have some free time!
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5841
RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/11 16:09:21 (permalink)
Buddy - Thanks for bone, there was a bit of meat left on it. I'm happy to have provided the proper conditions to get this prairie fire started.

Suggestion - If you don't all kill each other at the January brat/burger feast, plans should be made for a bratwurst taste test at a Brewers vs. Cubs (or Sox) game next summer at Miller Park.

Fact: What Wisconsinites call FIBs are called FIPs (or Fippers) in SW Michigan. The "P" stands for people, and the "I" is interchangable for either Illinois or Indiana.

Cheers.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3672
RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/11 18:02:38 (permalink)
I've heard FIFI's used by less than charitable individuals. The most amazing thing was sitting in Redamaks in New Buffalo Michigan and hearing the term FIB used. Seems that the locals felt that vacationing and second homers from the great state of Illinois spent their money a wee bit too freely and drove property values out of reach of the locals. Honestly, some mothers children...............
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9339
RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/14 14:09:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JRPfeff
Suggestion - If you don't all kill each other at the January brat/burger feast, plans should be made for a bratwurst taste test at a Brewers vs. Cubs (or Sox) game next summer at Miller Park.
No Sox-Brewers games next summer; maybe in '08 interleague play will have Central vs. Central again. The only chance this year would be a Miller Park preseason game right before the start of the regular season (something I'd like to see the Brewers continue to do).

I'll throw another brat into the mix: Sorg's in (near, actually) Darien.
http://www.wtvo.com/market_place/sorgs.asp
I can't pick a "best", though...there are just too many good ones. And everyone knows that tailgating improves the flavor of almost any brat 1000%...

Brad
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2007/01/01 00:37:30 (permalink)
Okay, time to reignite this thread in regard to a midwinter mini-meet of all interested NE Flatlanders and similarly minded SE Cheeseheads. We're looking at a Sunday sometime this month, somewhere in the greater SE Wisconsin area. Sobelman's in Milwaukee? Fred's in Burlington? The dreaded Brat Stop in Kenosha?

And when shall we do this thing? The Bears have a bye week next week so what about either of the two successive Sundays?

Who's up for a quick roadtrip for a great Burger or Brat up in the Dairy State? All interested parties please raise your hands.

Buddy
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2007/01/01 10:26:26 (permalink)
I'm in but Sobelman's isn't open on Sundays. If that's the choice, it would have to be on a Saturday.

OK, I just got off the phone with Dave and they are indeed open on Sundays! I picked a Sunday when we were in the neighborhood, walked in and was told they weren't open. I put 2 + 2 together and came up with 3! It turned out it was closed on that Sunday only. Both the doors and the grill open at 11am.
http://www.milwaukeesbestburgers.com/

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=1900+St.+Paul+Ave.&csz=Milwaukee+WI&country=us&new=1
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2007/01/01 20:26:16 (permalink)
Sobelman's sounds good to me! Any other takers? Who's up for a Milwaukee mini-meet in the next few weeks? Speak now folks so we know how many to expect. Best Sunday for you? Any other suggestions for where to meet?

Buddy
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2007/01/01 20:56:03 (permalink)
We took some friends from Fon du Lac there today. They thanked us and one proclaimed it the best burger she'd ever had. Of course she was still celebrating New Years Eve (LOL), so I'm not quite sure we should take that as gospel. Still, it was a great burger and one worth having again soon.
Aaaaand Fred's, the self-proclaimed world's best burger, is a tape measure home run too. I'll say whichever one I'm eating is the true champ, that is, until I go the other.
Or was it Kewpie, no, it was the Nightowl, no it was that one in Kenosha, the Big Star or was it the one across from Leon, Mazo's and who could forget the quarter pound of real butter acompanied by a little meat, stewed onions and french bread at Solly's. Don't even get me talking about the Charcoal Inn in Sheboygan, Krolls in Green Bay or Basil's II in Fontenoy or or or or aaaggghhhhh!
So many great Wisconsin burgers and only 80 mg. of Lipitor!
2005Equinox
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 229
RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2007/01/03 00:11:30 (permalink)
The best brats I have had are from Haens Meat Market right here in Kaukauna Wisconsin and from Festival Foods. I dont bother with Johnsonville or Klements or most of the "chain" brands when we have so many good brands from the local places. I want to try Meisfelds someday also. I love Meisfelds hot dogs.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2018/07/30 13:37:52 (permalink)
!BUMP!

Folks, this was the beginning of The Contingent
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5