Best Brats in Wisconsin*

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5802
2006/12/09 10:32:53 (permalink)

Best Brats in Wisconsin*

Here is one vote for Karl's Country Market in Menomonee Falls.

Their State Champion Bratwurst are my favorites.

*It is an established fact that Wisconsin is the Center of the Bratwurst Universe. Those from other states need not apply.

41 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23230
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/09 10:43:33 (permalink)
    That certainly looks like a lot of good stuff.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3659
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/09 11:54:01 (permalink)
    Best? Hmm, I don't even know if I could pick my favorite brat. I'd throw in Schwai's, Konop's, Karl's, Miesfeld's (probably my most frequent "favorite"), Rueff's, heck I'd even add Usinger's and Klement's. I believe that Karl's had a butcher from Schultz, one of my all-time favorite meat markets.
    I used to enjoy to enjoy now gone Poth's, South Side Sausage, Sawyer's, Linn-Hess, Connie Fischer and Schultz's.
    Our main supermarket chains seem to "dumb down" the seasonings so those tend to be our least favorite brats but most any small town in Wisconsin has an outstanding butcher. We had some highly acclaimed brats and "brots" from elsewhere in the Midwest and I've never found one that would rank too high on my favorite brat list; sorry Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa and Indiana.
    In a state of great brats, the brat lover should make a pilgrimage to Sheboygan. Pick up the local weekly free shopper and see which five places are having a fundraising "brat fry"; you'll have a difficult time topping it.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6028
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/09 17:57:21 (permalink)
    Wisconsin may be the biggest and tastiest in Brats, but dont go saying the Best! We have a few shops around here that will work circles around most of your places. Best being in this little gas station / deli in Howard City. Not sure on their name, but the brats are all I need to drive out of my way to there... Luckily we have a heavy Polish community around here.. And the food quality reflects it.

phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 679
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/09 17:59:03 (permalink)
    the on ly place i ate brats was the brat stop, now im in florida and johnsonvilles on my home grill blow them away
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/09 19:25:45 (permalink)
    Uncle Vic, maybe I should have put a smiley face on my tongue in cheek bragging post
    Still, while I'll go to Michigan and enjoy their Polish sausages, I'm afraid Miesfeld's brats are probably better than anything I could hope to taste there. I'd be happy to try some of your brats someday and I think a cook off might be the gentlemanly way to settle an argument like this.

phatphil, the Brat Stop is an Illinoisan flatlander stop. It's not a place I know any cheesehead has eaten at.

http://www.miesfelds.com/index.html
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/09 20:38:07 (permalink)
    I hear ya MFL. But I think I'll stand my ground here!
    There's a gas station, I dont know the exact name, but it's a combined deli, mini supermarket. something Trading Post. Nothin in or too close to a major city. We're talking some serious back 40 locale here. The guy there makes his brats seasonal. My buddy kept bragging them up knowing my love for a good sausage. Kept telling him the same, bring it on! ha ha.. So back in August when him and his ol' lady went camping in Manistee National Forest, he brought me back a bag of them. I have to tell you, he was good on his word. Never have I tasted a tastier brat in my life. And in all seriousness, I doubt I'll ever have a better one! And in a gentelmans state of fairness, If I can get some more from that place, I'll be more then happy to have a cookoff with ya!
    (And for a Polish Sausage around here, I recomend Franks Market, 20th Century Meat Market in Grand Rapids West Side or O'briens here in Ada)...

Update: On the phone with my buddy. Brats came from the Pierson Trading Post just south of Howard City, north of Sand Lake. He said bring it on also! ha ha...
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/09 22:17:39 (permalink)
    Cool - I started some trash talking here. I'm waiting for someone from Sheboygan to defend the honor of America's Bratwurst Capital from all these upstarts.

But we are also getting constructive, in a true Road Food kind of way. I now know where to find good sausage when I'm near Grand Rapids. What other great meat markets can we name?

Here's a start - if you are near Hudson, WI, a must stop is RJ's Meats (1101 Coulee Rd, 715-386-9291) for Grand Champion sausage, bacon and ham.

And if you are ever near Waldo ...

Jim
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3677
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/09 23:05:41 (permalink)
    A great place to eat a fabulous Wisconsin brat is at the concession stands at Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI. Their food has been rated "Number One Track Concession Food in the United States" for many years. They exclusively use Sheboygan brats. A Wisconsin brat is system, which includes: the hard roll, the correct mustard, the kraut, the method of preparation, and the location or event. It's similar to the same set of unwritten rules that govern the correctness of a genuine Chicago style hot dog. Cheeseheads are as passionate about their brats as Chicagoans are about their hot dogs, both of which are considered reginal foods. If you want to talk kringles, I live in the "Kringle Capital" of the world.

CSD

Born in Chicago
    Escaped to Wisconsin
    Eating Vienna Beef hot dogs and fresh Wisconsin brats
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/09 23:22:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chicagostyledog

... If you want to talk kringles, I live in the "Kringle Capital" of the world.

As AB might say, we can talk kringles, but that's another thread.

I used to curl with the owner of Racine Danish Kringles. I would sing the praises of O&H Kringles just to rile him up.

Jim
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6627
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/10 00:46:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

phatphil, the Brat Stop is an Illinoisan flatlander stop. It's not a place I know any cheesehead has eaten at.
    You surprise me MFL! I've always thought the Brat Stop as a sort of flatlander/cheesehead DMZ where Packers fans and Bears fans could coexist, if not in real peace and harmony, at least without doing bodily harm to each other. I know I would meet you there happily if not for the fact that you know so many more way better places to eat in the first place.

I could swear I've seen Wisconsin license plates in the parking lot.

Buddy
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/10 06:55:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    I've always thought the Brat Stop as a sort of flatlander/cheesehead DMZ where Packers fans and Bears fans could coexist....

http://www.bearsstillsuck.com/

quote:
    I could swear I've seen Wisconsin license plates in the parking lot....

http://www.superpages.com/yellowpages/C-Opticians/S-WI/T-Sheboygan/

BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/10 15:25:30 (permalink)
    Well, I believe I've zinged.

Mike, if I didn't like and respect you so much, I'd be hopping mad right now. Almost as mad as the Packers are going to be when they lose their second meeting with the Bears later this season.

Best wishes and a beer chaser,

Buddy
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/10 15:35:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Best wishes and a beer chaser

Now you know how to finish a Bloody!
    I did the brats and Bloody route myself; my Bloody's got a skewer of hot dilled brussels sprouts in it today.

Maybe someday you may move next door to CSD.
    Leave the dark side my friend.

Shalom to you and yours,
    FL
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/10 15:42:49 (permalink)
    Buddy, a good percent of the people we meet here in Wisconsin are originally from the Chicagoland area. An interesting note: MilwFoodlovers and I were born the same day, same year(9/22/47). He's from Milwaukee, I'm from Chicago. I've worked and lived in Wisconsin since 1980 and will always be a Chicago boy at heart. Pop will always be pop, never soda, and a drinking fountain will never be a bubbler.

CSD
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/10 15:57:52 (permalink)
    Sheesh, you two!
    Pop is who you always answered as "Yes Sir".
    And everyone knows you drink out of a bubbler!

chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/10 17:09:17 (permalink)
    quote:

Sheesh, you two!
    Pop is who you always answered as "Yes Sir".
    And everyone knows you drink out of a bubbler!

A bubbler is a non stop drinking fountain. Most are found outdoors. A bubbler is a trademarked name that refers to a drinking fountain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubbler Most residents of southern Wisconsin refer to drinking fountains as bubblers. Bubblers are non-existent in most public schools, office buildings, and restaurants. They're still around at some parks.

This is a drinking fountain. Water flow is controlled by a handle, which helps conserve water. http://www.halseytaylor.com/drinking_f.html

This is pop. My father was dad.

This is soda aka soda water aka seltzer. It's used for mixed drinks, phosphates, egg creams, and goes well with a twist of lemon or lime on the rocks.

CSD

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/10 18:25:43 (permalink)
    quote:

This is soda aka soda water aka seltzer. It's used for mixed drinks, phosphates, egg creams, and goes well with a twist of lemon or lime on the rocks.

?????????????????????????

saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1652
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/10 18:47:47 (permalink)
    I've never had better brats than the ones in Sheboygan, but I've had some pretty good ones in Green Bay.

Uncle Vic, where in Wis. have you had brats?

In either event, the Packers suck!

Did Lord Favre announce his potential retirement again so that Packer fans can talk about it for the next year?
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10403
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/10 18:54:22 (permalink)
    My goodness you guys!!!Anyway the Packers dont suck,they are simply "challenged"...the best brats I have had here in Wisconsin were from Woodlake market in Kohler(next to the city of Sheboygan)They employed an older man whos recipe was his secret.Unfortunately, when he retired,he took his recipe with him.Now Miesfelds makes Woodlakes brats, and are very good-but not as good as the old wurstmacher...
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/10 19:24:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by saps

I've never had better brats than the ones in Sheboygan, but I've had some pretty good ones in Green Bay.

Uncle Vic, where in Wis. have you had brats?

In either event, the Packers suck!

Did Lord Favre announce his potential retirement again so that Packer fans can talk about it for the next year?

To be honest, never had them in Wisconsin! But did have my brother who lives in Madison bring me some down. He claimed they where the best he's ever had. I dont remember the name of the place he said made them... Will have to email and ask him.. No complaints on them from me, but I can get pretty much similar here in town. Now I've had alot of brats over several decades, but the ones from the Pierson Trading Post, in all honesty, I doubt they can be beat.
    And you mentioning Favre.. LOL.. My brother would strangle that guy if he saw him. All he hears is Favre this Favre that. Favre will save the earth.. I get a good laugh when I mention his name and watch him go off..
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/10 19:26:55 (permalink)
    quote:

MilwFoodlovers and I were born the same day, same year...He's from Milwaukee, I'm from Chicago. I've worked and lived in Wisconsin since 1980 and will always be a Chicago boy at heart. Pop will always be pop, never soda, and a drinking fountain will never be a bubbler.
    CSD
    Boys, let's stop all this flatlander/cheesehead fussin' an' feudin' and meet at Fred's tavern in Burlington down by the stop and go light for the World's Best Hamburger and a Sprecher's Root Beer chaser.

Extra cheese on the burgers is on me.

Buddy
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/10 19:49:53 (permalink)
    Fred's is certainly a place where both sides of the force can meet. Burlington and Whitewater can be considered a DMZ or neutral ground whereas Lake Geneva is certainly a part of Illinois. I'm afraid we are losing Kenosha to the dreaded Ditkaites, aarrgghh!
    Buddy when do we purpose we have our sit-down??
    Will you be bringing your consigliere who I understand you call Dad?
    Perhaps Miss Peeples might want a burger as well as any strays that might be wandering around.
    I shouldn't have to point out that winter plans have a way of changing rapidly and we could always wait until spring if necessary. But what about December 30th, Saturday afternoon?
    I'd also being willing to have a meal somewhere near Kaufman's which might be in Skokie or some nearby town.
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10403
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/10 20:07:03 (permalink)
    Why thank you mfl,i would love a burger!!!
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/10 22:45:34 (permalink)

MilwFoodlover, still haven't made it to Sobelman's.
    That's my next Milwaukee cheeseburger experience.

CSD
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/10 22:59:13 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

What's that?
    Soda is made by Canada Dry, Schwepp's, and Seagrams. Soda is clear tonic, club, or seltzer water that's carbonated mit bubbles that give you a good belch.

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/10 23:12:34 (permalink)

SODA
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/11 01:38:48 (permalink)
    MFL and all concerned,

I will be travelling back from Kansas City on December 30th. Sundays always work better for me anyway. Perhaps we could gather to watch the Bears in one of their many (fingers crossed) playoff appearances in January.

We could meet somewhere around the state line, perhaps to Stop for a Brat, but I would be more than willing to go all the way to Burlington. That Fred's burger was worth it! I'd even go back to Sobelman's if it came to that. BTW, that huge Milwaukee factory explosion was not too far from Sobelman's if I'm not mistaken. How did they fare in the destruction?

Buddy
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/11 06:34:37 (permalink)
    January works fine for us.
    Actually the Falk explosion was much closer to Milwaukee's Laotian restaurants and my favorite local blues bar. All made it OK.
    FYI, Sobelmans is closed on Sundays while Fred's (which is not) made the news last night. Seems as Tony Romo, he of the Dallas Cowboys fame, is a Burlington native and a regular local Fred's aficionado.
    While I don't have blue and orange clothing, I suppose I could stop and see what the brats are like that you people seem to enjoy. I could always head to Tenuta's afterward if they use brats from Jewel Foods.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Brats in Wisconsin* 2006/12/11 07:02:38 (permalink)
    quote:

MilwFoodlover, still haven't made it to Sobelman's.
    That's my next Milwaukee cheeseburger experience.

CSD

Now that looks tasty!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5