Helpful ReplyBest Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
bartl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1540
2014/09/03 11:11:00 (permalink)

Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants

We often talk about things we don't like in fast food restaurants. How about a thread on things we DO like. Sometimes, when you are in the middle of nowhere and don't want a full meal, fast food can be your best bet. So what do you consider the best, or at least the safest choice in various fast food restaurants? Here are a few of mine:

McDonald's: I like the salads, particularly the chicken bacon ranch salad with the grilled chicken. The vegetables are fresh, the dressing is Newman's Own, and the chicken, well, it's chopped and formed, but it's OK mixed into the salad.

Wendy's: I always find their chili to be pretty safe. You usually have to ask for the hot sauce, which has a cumin top note which helps a lot. From what I have read, when they used to keep the hot sauce out, people would take so much of it that most Wendy's keep it behind the counter. I am not crazy about baked potatoes, but they are fresh.

Burger King: That's a tough one. No good choice, but the safest is probably the fish sandwich. Their side salad is decent, but not enough for a lunch.

Yours?

Bart
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/03 11:21:41 (permalink)
I like Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich.

Also on the spicy side, I like Popeye's spicy chicken with a side of red beans and rice.

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4198
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/03 11:27:28 (permalink)
Let me check my spreadsheet.
Rabkin
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/03 11:43:26 (permalink)
McDonald's - One word:  Breakfast.  Two more words:  Big Mac.

Wendy's - Where to start?  The double (or, if I'm feeling particularly saucy, triple) Baconator.  Their Bacon in general.  Their spicy chicken sandwich.  And, yes, their chili.

Burger King - Uh, the Double Croissan'wich?  Um.  Oh, their sweet potato fries are really tasty.  And that's all I got.

Taco Bell - The Mexican Pizza.  The new spicy tostada.  Their shredded chicken.  The entire line of Doritos Locos Tacos (supreme, natch). 

White Castle - The entire-freaking-menu, but particularly their double cheeseburgers and their sacks o' onion chips.

Arby's - The majority of their menu, as well.  Plus, who doesn't like their curly fries and/or their potato cakes?

Rally's - Fries.

Jack in the Box - Tacos.  (Mmmm!  Tacos!)
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4485
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/03 11:46:59 (permalink)
Pretty much any burger at Steak & Shake is a safe bet, and you can get as many or as few toppings as you'd like. Their shakes are top notch, although I'm not a fan of their habit of putting mini chocolate chips on most of them (they get stuck in the straw). *I only ever do their drive-thru, and their inside menu has a LOT more on it.

Sonic's onion rings are fabulous, as is their pretty much endless variety of drinks.

Taco Bell's chalupas are fairly decent (I am not offended by their meat as a lot of folks are), but it's a crap shoot on whether you'll get some that are crispy or that weren't drained well after deep frying. I've found with a liberal application of fire sauce, anything from TB can be made edible.

Arby's market fresh sandwiches are good, and a decent choice if you weren't able to make your own sandwich to take with you. And I will always hold a place in my heart for the jamocha shakes.

Checkers/Rally's has crack fries. I've been known to order a large fry and call it dinner, paired with a banana milkshake (which often has chunks of banana even though it's got fake banana flavoring). Their burgers are all right, but the fries are amazing.

When you work odd hours, often you eat fast food whether you want to or not.
SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 1094
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/03 13:43:37 (permalink)
Burger King's regular burgers seem to me to be better now than they used to be. I'll grab one of those if I'm in a hurry.
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5102
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/03 16:56:02 (permalink)
Chick Fil A is the best fast food chain I know of at the moment

I'll give Hardee's the red second place ribbon solely on the strength of their breakfast biscuits
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2014/09/03 17:25:03
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5995
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/03 19:35:21 (permalink)
The best fast food I've had lately is PolloTropical.

For me, it was the biggest 'fast food revelation' I've had since I, by chance, first tried Five Guys in their - then - one and only location in 1986.

Again, by chance - in 1964 - I was also a customer of the original Arby's in Boardman, OH.  Then, with REAL roast beef, it was beyond good.  Today, their 'Market Fresh' sandwiches are really more than decent and their Jamocha shakes still rock my sweet tooth.  My only objection is price - a sandwich, fries, & a shake are > $10.  But, what the Hell; at this point I have more money than time - especially when I give myself only 1/2 hour for lunch. 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9419
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/03 20:27:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2014/09/03 20:31:49
Nothing
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4088
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/03 22:12:04 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Nothing

And what does that taste like?

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11686
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/03 22:59:39 (permalink)
Wendy's Frostee's
Carl's Jr. Breakfast Biscuits.
Anything from anyone's Dollar Menu!

Texascajun
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 224
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/03 23:54:38 (permalink)
I second Chick Fil A. The chicken salad is really good but I really like most of their food and the service is great.  
Drinks at Sonic.
Popeyes red beans and rice
I will have to try PolloTropical MJ.

Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 747
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/04 00:30:55 (permalink)

Most are horrible, but there are a few exceptions.    There is a great mini-chain in RI with a handful of locations called, "Walt's Roast Beef".   They have been around since 1957.   Real roast beef.  Not that pressed meat crap like Arby's uses.  I'd bet even Dale would like Walt's, if he gave it a try.  http://waltsroastbeef.net/

As a couple others have indicated, Pollo Tropical is pretty good.  I went to one in the Miami area.  Five Guys is still good in my book, as is Steak N Shake.  And, Chick-Fil-A has one of the better chicken sandwiches. 

Glenn

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15787
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/04 04:44:38 (permalink)
Our local Popeyes chicken stand does a good job on thir spicy chicken..and the mashed and spicy gravy is ok too.
Burgers- CULVERS is at the top of my list, but that a once a month thing now for me..pretty much.
I miss the J-O-B tacos 2/$1 nasty fried little devils but ohhh I love'em. $5 worth makes a meal and gets your system moving too.
None of the chain sub shops are any good in my eyes.
The Captain Dees and L J Silvers seem to be buying used oil from car dealerships... haven't had any good ff fish for some time...always "old oil" taste.  Panda Express has very low quality standard here compared to what we found in Utah and SoCal. We don't go there anymore.  Wish we had an El Pollo Loco here I used to like there grilled chicken, if I could get it well done..often the pulled the bird early and it was MR in the middle..not good for poultry.
Need drive thrus at the chili parlors here... I do like Wendy;s chili but I have to beg them to heat it up before bagging it as it usually just warm.

** I had forgotten about FARMER BOYS a SoCal regional chain reaching out now as far as Las vegas and Phoenix, AZ. I used to go to it's one old and rather run-down store on the old 215 near March AFB near Moreno Valley. (But that's another story) Excellent Burgers and Zucchini Spears and Onion Rings. I also liked the steak sandwich on toast and the Pastrami on toasted Sourdough.  Then when they opened one near the Ontario Mills Mall next to the 10 and RR at Milliken that became our first stop whenever we did an airport run, or went to the Mall.
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10028
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/04 09:39:39 (permalink)
While on the road, we  sometimes had no choice but to eat at fast food places( we rarely did when at home). I discovered Wendy's chili was pretty good-I always added cheese and onions. Popeyes is always a good option( Bob wont eat the chicken, but he will eat the sides and biscuit) but my Lord, in Delaware, a 4 piece dinner was $9.00! And we have always like the breakfast choices at McDonalds. We ate at Jack in the Box once, and per Al's suggestion, I tried the tacos. Loved them!
post edited by ann peeples - 2014/09/04 09:41:20
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1242
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/04 10:48:05 (permalink)
I've only been to In-n-out once but i really liked the double double animal style I got.  There is a regional chain in Kentucky called Cookout that we went to this spring and liked quite a bit for the food and the milkshakes.

If Portillio's counts as fast food, that goes on the list of best choices for sure.  Also Wing Stop has excellent wings that are really crispy every time without being breaded (I hate breaded wings).

And for subs I like both Penn Station and Dibella's.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4704
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/04 11:20:14 (permalink)
My thoughts:
- Steak and Shake
- Farmer Boys (Semi-fast)
- White Castle
- El Pollo Loco
- Skyline Chili

wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9419
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/04 12:48:56 (permalink)
CTD

You'd have to ask TTM, I believe that's what he tastes everytime he tries to visit a Restaurant

Glenn

I've been to Walts many times, it's perfectly fine. It's a local chain with a a few stores (although the No Kingstown location is my favorite)  it's not a national chain so it's ok.
bartl
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/04 13:10:37 (permalink)
I have got to try a different Steak & Shake. The one I went to (in the Paramus Park Mall in New Jersey) had what were, with no exaggeration and by a wide margin, the greasiest burgers I had ever eaten.

A trick I used to use at fast food burger restaurants, especially at the time when the burger prices were such that $x would buy the same amount of burger no matter what style you ordered them, was that I would see whatever was just coming off the grill, and ask for $x worth of those. Alas, it no longer works.

I deliberately didn't mention burgers, as many fast food places have better (in my case, fresher and healthier) options. But, at the time that Burger King had their Buck Double, a quick and cheap dinner for me was 2 Buck Doubles and a small side salad: $3 + tax.

Bart
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3199
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/04 13:20:38 (permalink)
White Castles burgers
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5069
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/04 19:01:42 (permalink)
In no particular order:

Whataburger: fries, patty melts, taquitos
Hardee's: breakfast bisquits, especially Country Sausage, egg & cheese
Mellow Mushroom: pizza
McDonald's: Sausage, Egg, & Cheese McMuffin
Steak & Shake: Burgers & fries
Wendy's: Freshly cooked spicy chicken filet sandwich & chili
Capt. D's: country style fried fish, slaw, & cole slaw

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5995
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/04 19:29:21 (permalink)
Foodbme

Anything from anyone's Dollar Menu!

You have a point there.  Tuesday & Thursday I have only 50 minutes between classes and I hit the dollar menu at McD's and Wendy's: where better to choke down empty, but necessary calories? 

Ceteris paribus, inexpensive empty calories are preferable to pricey empty calories; e.g., a McDouble, small fries, and a 'hot fudge sundae' cost less than a Quarter Pounder w/ cheese.
ChrisOC
  • Total Posts : 1305
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/04 19:56:16 (permalink)
Living on a barrier island our fast food is very limited.  Only McDonald's.
I do enjoy their Bacon Clubhouse Burger, the Quarter Pounder and the Daily Double.  I recently tried the Jalapeno Double and that was good as well.
Over the Ninth Street Bridge and then a few miles there is a Wendy's.  I usually get the single cheeseburger with Chili. 
Over the 34th Street bridge the is a Burger King.  I have a problem there.  The Whopper is to big for my 72 year old stomach and the Whopper Jr. is to small  But I do like the taste of both of them.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 747
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/04 22:55:29 (permalink)
wanderingjew 
Glenn

I've been to Walts many times, it's perfectly fine. It's a local chain with a a few stores (although the No Kingstown location is my favorite)  it's not a national chain so it's ok.

Excellent!   Definitely agree that the North Kingstown location of Walt's is the best location.  It's also their original location.   Well, technically, they used to be in a building one lot to the south of their current building.  That location was demolished around the mid-80s, after they took over the building next door to the north, which used to have a failing "Papa Gino's".  

The original location used to have a gigantic neon sign of "Walt" up until about the early or mid-1970s.  As a fan of mid-century architecture neon signs, I've tried to locate photos of that big old sign online, but have had no luck. 

Glenn

bartl
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/05 10:44:02 (permalink)
ChrisOCI do enjoy their Bacon Clubhouse Burger, the Quarter Pounder and the Daily Double.  I recently tried the Jalapeno Double and that was good as well.

As I have not seen it mentioned on Roadfood.com, the Daily Double is McDouble with lettuce and tomato. Alas, in my parts, the addition of lettuce and tomato costs almost as much as the McDouble ($1.09 for the McDouble, $1.99 for the Daily Double). You get a better deal buying an McDouble and a $1 side salad.

Bart

felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4485
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/05 12:42:44 (permalink)
bartl
As I have not seen it mentioned on Roadfood.com, the Daily Double is McDouble with lettuce and tomato. Alas, in my parts, the addition of lettuce and tomato costs almost as much as the McDouble ($1.09 for the McDouble, $1.99 for the Daily Double). You get a better deal buying an McDouble and a $1 side salad.

Bart

Maybe I'm missing something, but $1.09 + $1.00 is $2.09, making it actually more expensive than the $1.99 price for the Daily Double.

jman
  • Total Posts : 1366
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/05 13:17:46 (permalink)
bartl
ChrisOCI do enjoy their Bacon Clubhouse Burger, the Quarter Pounder and the Daily Double.  I recently tried the Jalapeno Double and that was good as well.

Bart

I like the Daily Double and the DD is not a McDouble with lettuce and cheese.  The patties used on the DD are the same size as those used on McD's regular Double Cheeseburger.  The McDouble's patties are a little smaller.  This was confirmed by one of the ladies I know who works at our local McD's.  The patty on the Double Cheeseburger/Daily Double is about 10% larger than the patty on the McDouble.

post edited by jman - 2014/09/05 13:40:57
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4088
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/05 14:40:10 (permalink)
WJ - Understood -

My name is Gregg and I eat fast food....

I do like everything on the menu at Portillo's and Chick-Fil-A.
I do like the small breakfast burrito's at McDonalds.
I do like Chipolte burrito bowl made my way.
I do like Wendy's chili with the works.
I do like Oberwies Ice Cream and shakes.
I do like White Castle double cheeseburgers, no pickle, add ketchup and add extra onions!

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4198
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/05 14:55:53 (permalink)
CTD - Put the Mc$2 McDouble McJalepeno McBurger on the Charlotte spreadsheet and I'll make every attempt to be there.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 21780
Re: Best Choices in Current Fast Food Restaurants 2014/09/05 14:57:20 (permalink)
Catsup? On a Double Castle cheeseburger instead of mustard. You must be some sort of freak.

Well, at least you got the pickles right.
Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to:
© 2016 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5