Helpful ReplyBest Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists)

Author
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1522
2018/10/12 12:24:20 (permalink)

Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists)

The folks over at The Daily Meal have produced their lists for the Best Dog In The US and The Best Dogs In Each State.

And the winner of best dog in America goes to....Rutt's Hut. While I've never eaten there, I can honestly say that I've never heard anything but rave reviews for the place.

https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/americas-best-hot-dog

And here is their list for Best In Each State. I can't find anything wrong with many of the choices in this list, as many appear right here on RF as great dog joints. I might quibble with them over Alabama's choice, (they went with Gus's. I would have chosen The Dew Drop Inn in Mobile. But both are excellent dogs!).

https://www.thedailymeal....-every-state-slideshow
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5679
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/12 12:52:38 (permalink)
Cool! Fritz’s, the Kansas entry, is a family business of one of my schoolmates. Can’t disagree.
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1184
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/12 14:10:35 (permalink)
Some are more iconic than best, like Pinks, The Varsity, etc.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6323
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/12 14:44:50 (permalink)
Illinois' Superdawg falls into that "iconic" category.  It is hardly the best in Chicago, let alone the state.  They do have a really cool building, and the anthropomorphic Hot Dogs, Maurie and Florie, standing proudly on top, make Superdawg a real standout.  But most area aficionados agree, they are hardly the best around.

There's no question Superdawg is a lot of fun, and they serve a respectable version of the Chicago Style Dog, but there are much better to be found.  Just within a few miles you've got Rand Red Hots, Paradise Pup, Gene & Jude's, and Bob-O's, all serving a superior version of the CSD.  Go beyond that and the offerings are almost endless.

Buddy

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9638
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/12 22:25:51 (permalink)
Mt dad talked lovingly about Rutt's Hut to me in the mid 50's. We went once...but he went there when he too was a kid. Truly is an institution!!
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3643
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/12 23:09:21 (permalink)
Congratulations to Rick and David Hahn, proud graduates of Hot Dog University, Class of April 2016. They are the owners of Rick and Son in Lexington, KY( taking the Kentucky State Honor).

CSD
post edited by chicagostyledog - 2018/10/14 12:08:35
Dana67
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 77
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/14 16:44:25 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Illinois' Superdawg falls into that "iconic" category.  It is hardly the best in Chicago, let alone the state.  They do have a really cool building, and the anthropomorphic Hot Dogs, Maurie and Florie, standing proudly on top, make Superdawg a real standout.  But most area aficionados agree, they are hardly the best around.

There's no question Superdawg is a lot of fun, and they serve a respectable version of the Chicago Style Dog, but there are much better to be found.  Just within a few miles you've got Rand Red Hots, Paradise Pup, Gene & Jude's, and Bob-O's, all serving a superior version of the CSD.  Go beyond that and the offerings are almost endless.

Buddy

I totally agree on Superdawg not being the best.  I found their green tomatoes to be odd and you have to ask for celery salt!  (Being from Chicago, that just seems like hearsay!) 

Paradise Pup is tasty - lines are long and iirc they only take cash.

I'll be an outlier here and mention a chain - I do think Portillo's make a good Chicago Jumbo hot dog.  (I think their beef and hamburgers are average. But, I'll eat a jumbo dog any day of the week.

One of my favorite "char-dogs" is from Gold Cost Dogs.  Their cheddar fries are amazing, too.  So much gloppy gooey cheddar that you have to eat 'em with a fork.  I haven't had them in a while - used to get 'em from Union Station once a week.  But, I don't commute anymore.  So, they might have changed...hope not.  :)

Edited to add:
I do agree on their choice of Ft. Wayne's Coney Dogs.  Love that place :)

post edited by Dana67 - 2018/10/14 16:47:05
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/14 18:56:24 (permalink)
Dana67

I totally agree on Superdawg not being the best.  I found their green tomatoes to be odd and you have to ask for celery salt!  (Being from Chicago, that just seems like hearsay!) 

So here's the funny part: I actually like the pickled green tomatoes, and I'm not a fan of celery salt.  So for me, those are two draws to Superdawg.  I also fall into the thumbs up camp on their controversial version of French Fries.  Still, I think we agree there are better places for a CSD.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5521
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/14 19:17:13 (permalink)
The best dogs in Illinois are at Hot Doug's. That emeritus title was well earned.

Considering we never eat hotdogs at restaurants in Wisconsin, that dog for our state sounds fantastic.
“Milwaukee-style” dog: It’s a hot dog topped with not one, not two, but three different cheeses: shredded Cheddar, Cheez Whiz, and deep-fried cheese curds. Only in Wisconsin!
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/14 19:34:43 (permalink)
It seems many of these "best dogs" are based on the stuff put all over them. I base a high-quality dog on just that: the dog. I don't want a dog that tastes or is the quality of a supermarket dog. High quality can stand up to toppings. I like a jumbo natural casing Sabrett ( not their dirty water dog.Shichaus is another quality dog. Both are top quality and don't go crazy on spices.To me, the hot dog is all about the dog in the roll!
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/14 20:08:21 (permalink)
I don't think any of these places use supermarket dogs. The toppings define the regional aspect.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/14 20:45:49 (permalink)
leethebard
It seems many of these "best dogs" are based on the stuff put all over them. I base a high-quality dog on just that: the dog. I don't want a dog that tastes or is the quality of a supermarket dog. High quality can stand up to toppings. I like a jumbo natural casing Sabrett ( not their dirty water dog.Shichaus is another quality dog. Both are top quality and don't go crazy on spices.To me, the hot dog is all about the dog in the roll!

I agree with your observation. These were "Sunday Best" photos of the products from these restaurants and too many of them have gone out of their way to hide the hot dog beneath the toppings. Many others appear to be the lowest quality consumer dogs, especially in the Southeastern states.
leethebard
Sirloin
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/15 06:46:38 (permalink)
What about the other 49 states?
I'm not traveling to new Jersey to eat a hot dog.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/15 07:06:06 (permalink)
1bbqboy

In other states look for a natural casing large Sabrett hotdog.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/15 08:22:25 (permalink)
You've been in New Jersey too long. Ain't nothin’ like that 3000+ miles away. I'm sure they're great; this is a list for the whole country and so I guess I don't understand your point.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8723
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/15 10:41:44 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Considering we never eat hotdogs at restaurants in Wisconsin, that dog for our state sounds fantastic.
“Milwaukee-style” dog: It’s a hot dog topped with not one, not two, but three different cheeses: shredded Cheddar, Cheez Whiz, and deep-fried cheese curds. Only in Wisconsin!

I'll pass, thanks.  The Cheddar sounds OK (Wisconsin's own Colby, preferably Henning's, would be my choice) but I don't like Cheez Whiz and I'll have my curds on the size, please.
BayouCityNosh
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/15 13:11:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2018/10/15 22:13:25
Not at all surprising of course that a national list picks something in Austin as best in Texas.  I have no idea what's going on there or in DFW or San Antonio or anywhere else.  We have a couple of similar places here, though, Sammy's Wild Game Grill and Moon Tower Inn.  I love Sammy's; it's a Houston treasure as far as I'm concerned.  He does sausage dogs and burgers and the dogs are better; game meats are lean and the burgers tend to be too dry..  There's a standard menu but meats change from time to time.  I've been told his best offering is a camel burger but it's never been available when I've been in.

I've never been to Moon Tower, named for the iconic lighting towers in Austin, it's aimed at Texas exes and exhibited upon opening a real attitude posture that seems de rigueur for UT expats these days.  There were stories, planted perhaps, about people being told to get out because they weren't considered cool or hip enough.  I'm a Texas Ex but from a very different era and I was pretty sure I'd score pretty low on any hipness/coolness scale so I never went .  They also were only open at night and I don't like to drive at night.  A friend who's thirty or so years younger than me and not a Texas Ex went about a year after they opened and said it was nothing like that so maybe it was all an act.  I've still never gone.  

Both, I believe, make their own sausages.  Sammy calls his sausage dogs; Moon Tower call theirs hot dogs and is even calling their sausages wieners now; I believe they're all medium or coarse ground sausages which isn't a wiener to me, but whatever.

Neither does anything like Frank's hot dogs made with Vienna Beef, it's all 'craft sausages.'

If I ever get up to Frank's I'll order something from both sides of the menu.
post edited by BayouCityNosh - 2018/10/15 13:14:04
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/15 13:27:26 (permalink)
Great response BCN.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/15 16:41:40 (permalink)
1bbqboy

Seems to me the heading mentioned "The best in each state" and I was pointing out that I felt some of the dogs shown were mostly toppings that overwhelmed the dog. Others got the point I was trying to make...it wasn't a knock on other state's bests, just an observation.
 Yes we have quite a few quality dogs in the Northeast...and some actually ship.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/15 17:41:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/11/30 07:05:35
ScreamingChicken
JRPfeff

I'll pass, thanks.  The Cheddar sounds OK (Wisconsin's own Colby, preferably Henning's, would be my choice) but I don't like Cheez Whiz and I'll have my curds on the size, please.

Note to self: Add Cheez-Whiz to everything on Smoke Day '19 menu.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/15 17:55:27 (permalink)
I can't believe Cheese Whiz is legal in Wisconsin. Isn't it the state that banned margarine?
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/15 19:16:52 (permalink)
Nobody said it was legal.  Everyone knows a Hot Dog tastes better when covered in illicit Cheez-Whiz, smuggled in from south of the Cheddar Curtain.  Not unlike Kerrygold Butter.

Buddy
BayouCityNosh
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/10/15 21:44:29 (permalink)
leethebard

Good observation.  I am so numb to that here I didn't even notice it scrolling thru.  The toppings, very importantly including how voluminous they are, are more important than the wiener I'm sure.  it also apparently is believed to be important to have a cutsey or exotic name for the dogs.  Very few places here even mention what sausage their serving and they're almost always overdressed/over-garnished for my taste.

For a while it seemed if you wanted to serve something other than a no-name wiener the only one that was allowed was a Hebrew National All Beef dog; places bragged on that.  There still is apparently some extra tough regulatory hurdle you have to get past to serve a natural casing dog here - they are extremely rare.
SRoberts006
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/11/29 10:56:17 (permalink)
Well I don't really agree on this list.  Seems like they didn't do much research!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8723
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/11/29 15:04:07 (permalink)
1bbqboy
I can't believe Cheese Whiz is legal in Wisconsin. Isn't it the state that banned margarine?

You're thinking of Cheez Whiz (spelled that way because it doesn't contain enough actual cheese to be able to legally use it in the name).  Cheese Whiz is what you get when you drink a lot of whey.
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11893
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/11/30 00:17:16 (permalink)
Pink's is famous for being Pink's.  I do not like their hot dogs and I like hot dogs.

I don't know about the rest of the state but I drive a distance for a hot dog from Cupid's or Carney's.

I drive by Pink's all of the time and do not stop.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5163
Re: Best Hot Dog In America and Best In Each State (The Daily Meal Lists) 2018/11/30 07:07:25 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Nobody said it was legal.  Everyone knows a Hot Dog tastes better when covered in illicit Cheez-Whiz, smuggled in from south of the Cheddar Curtain.  Not unlike Kerrygold Butter.

Buddy

I can bring it up on one of my 100 mile bike rides and store it with Jim...#fitnessprofessional  
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5