Best lobster rolls and fried clams in Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire??

Author
SASSYMI2
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2017/07/24 12:41:55 (permalink)

Best lobster rolls and fried clams in Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire??

On the verge of our trip to coastal Massachusetts, Maine, and New Hampshire. Flying into Boston and staying for a week in Wells, Maine. We live in Michigan.....a place devoid of New England fried clam strips and buttered lobster rolls. Main purpose of trip is to eat those 2 delicacies...which are my favorite foods in the world. Been to Reds' Eats and Bob's Clam Hut....which I consider the best of the best for lobster rolls and fried clam strips. Looking for recommendations for my 2 favorite foods on my trip. Of course, the fried clams must be accompanied by a good tartar sauce....even if I have to ring my own.

5 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12613
    Re: Best lobster rolls and fried clams in Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire?? 2017/07/24 13:15:27 (permalink)
    First off, welcome to Roadfood!  What a noble quest you are on and I am already jealous, as those are two of my favorites, also. 

The gold standard for fried clams is Clam Box in Ipswich, although Woodman's nearby is also really good.

You already know about Red's Eats, which is the best I have ever had, but another place well worth checking out is Shannon's Unshelled in Boothbay.

Have a great time and please report back what you find.
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2017/07/25 08:03:11
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4247
    Re: Best lobster rolls and fried clams in Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire?? 2017/07/24 15:56:19 (permalink)
    I am also  jealous.  Those two foods  are in my top favorite foods.  If you are staying in  Wells, you will be very near one of the best lobster rolls ever, and the fried clams are to die for.  You must try both! http://www.theclamshack.net/
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 258
    Re: Best lobster rolls and fried clams in Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire?? 2017/07/25 07:19:34 (permalink)
    Markey's in NH is written up here, but I like Brown's across the road better. Good clams and house-made tartar sauce. Can't help with lobster.

MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7365
    Re: Best lobster rolls and fried clams in Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire?? 2017/07/25 10:16:58 (permalink)
    Finding a memorable lobster roll on Maine's Atlantic coast is no more difficult than getting a great slice of pizza in NYC.

I've been visiting this place for nearly 50 years and have always had a memorable meals there.

Check this list:  https://newengland.com/today/travel/maine/best-lobster-roll-maine/

And this:  https://maine.eater.com/maps/best-lobster-rolls-in-maine

Man, am I jealous of your trip. 
    It's 100 today in Dallas and it's getting hotter!
    No wonder the Bush family 'summers' in Maine!

EDIT:  How could I forget the best source of all!?:  https://roadfood.com/places/maine/

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2017/07/25 10:21:42
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3109
    Re: Best lobster rolls and fried clams in Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire?? 2017/07/25 14:04:30 (permalink)
    There are two different styles of Lobster rolls. One being more like a lobster salad with chunks of lobster tossed with Mayo and celery and spices on a New England Toasted hot dog roll. The other being the Connecticut Lobster roll that is chunks of lobster with a dribble of clarified butter on the same kind of toasted roll. The one I seek out is the Connecticut style because it is taking the already sweet chunks and serving them in a more natural taste of tasting Maine Lobster. In other words I don't see a need to disguise it with Mayo. I'll be in NYC in Oct so i could get my fix of Red Hook Lobster rolls. For a price of $26 a Lobster roll or more I want the real thing.......Have fun on your trip.........Bill
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5