Helpful ReplyHot!Big in Japan

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 8
Author
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11276
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/21 17:46:48 (permalink)
Fabulous!  What a fun way to experience new foods and culture.
will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 567
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/21 21:28:19 (permalink)
It all sounds amazing!  And I am sure parts were, indeed, surreal as you mentioned...being in a foreign land and unsure of customs and procedures.  And the language!  But what a unique and special experience!  Sounds like everyone was very welcoming and accommodating.  Cannot wait to see the reception!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 11934
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/22 16:37:35 (permalink)
April 1, 2017

Outside the reception, there was a desk set up, with two young men in suits and two women in kimonos.  I was thinking that this is where they tell you what table you are seated at.  Nope, this is where you drop off the wedding presents. The room at the Grand Prince Hotel Takanawa where the reception was being held was amazingly big.  There were approximately 30 tables, each holding eight people, with plenty of walking room in between.  I wasn't sure which table we were going to be at, but somehow Mariton knew it was the table closest to the door.  This surprised me, as usually family is sitting close to where the bride and groom would be at, but they were on the complete opposite side of the room.  The only table even further from the bride and groom was the bride's parents and immediate family.   

At this time of year, cherry blossoms or sakura are at their peak bloom.  The Japanese people love this time of year and it seemed to be the theme of the reception, as cherry blossoms were everywhere, including the centerpiece of our table.

I would like to think that the writing after my name

is what it would be in Japanese, but it is most likely a greeting.  And each person had both Western silverware and chop sticks set in front of them to choose from.

Just a very short time after being seated, the newly wedded couple were announced upon arrival. 

And, of course bowed to the guests.

It didn't take long until the food started coming and like the flight over, it just kept on coming, course after course.  You could choose between the Japanese meal or Continental, which meant French.  I went French, Mariton Japanese, so I had easy access to photographing both.  I will let you decide which one is which. 

The food was not only visually dazzling, but everyone I asked said that they loved the food.  The pistachio crusted steak was especially delicious. 

One of my favorite moments in the wedding was when bride Maki and her sister Erika posed for photos with their 89 year old grandfather. 

The girls are 5' 6" and 5' 7" and tower over their grandfather and it was easy to see that he was absolutely beaming with pride! 

Later on, the bride and groom were reintroduced, only now Maki was wearing a lovely red dress,

which she wore for the remainder of the reception.

Eventually, even I got tired of eating, so I got up to take some photos.  The wedding cake was the tallest I have ever seen. 

They did call everyone's attention to the cutting of the cake, but interestingly, cake was never passed around.  There was no band playing, so the only music was provided by a four string quartet.

On the way back to the table, I stopped at the bridesmaids table and asked Miki, Mari and Junko to come to our table and pose for some photos, which meant there were lots of cell phones being passed around.  Here is Miki, Junko, Mariton and Mari.

Maki is the first one out of this close group of college friends to be wed.  As for the dresses, Marivic visited in the United States last September and went shopping in both Los Angeles and New York to buy all the dresses necessary for the wedding.  From what I heard, these dresses are exorbitantly more expensive in Japan and they saved plenty of money by doing it this way.

We wanted to go get our photos taken with the happy couple and there was a long line to do this. 

Sure, you get to see me in a suit, but look at those cherry blossoms!  Another interesting note; only the bride and groom sat at this table.  Everyone else in the wedding party was seated elsewhere.

Another interesting thing I noted is that among the responsibilities of the bride's parents is that they have to go around and drink toasts with different guests.  Here is Hiroshi and Marivic with Dr. and Mrs. Yeh,

who were seated next to me and are the parents of Erika's husband Jeff.  Dr. Yeh is from Taipei and is a terrific guy.  I really enjoyed getting to know him.  Unfortunately, Mrs. Yeh does not speak English, so it was difficult to communicate with her.  Since everyone else at our table was speaking English, no doubt she felt a little left out. 

With all of this, the best moment of the wedding was when the four parents lined up on the near wall and the bride and groom took turns giving long speeches into the microphone.  Even though I don't understand Japanese, it was impossible not to feel the genuine, raw emotion, as the newly wedded couple thanked their parents.  Lots of tears throughout the room.  After they were done speaking, they walked over for presenting flowers to the mothers and more hugs. 

Such a touching moment!

So, no cake to eat, no dancing and the entire thing wrapped up at 4:00PM.  As a matter of fact, Marivic and Hiroshi had to hustle as the were attending another wedding reception that afternoon!  When I told Erika later on, that wedding receptions in America usually last all night, she seemed surprised.

We stuck around the lobby, talking with family for another hour, but we were tired and caught a cab back to the Hyatt Regency.  On the way, this was the only time a driver spoke to us outside of us getting in or out.  He asked if we wanted to take the expressway, which would mean tolls and take less time or take the city streets.  We chose expressway, where we immediately ran into traffic.  Our cabbie was very apologetic for this, which was completely unnecessary.

Once back at the hotel, we were happy to lay down for a nap.

Much more to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2017/04/22 16:47:25
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/22 16:48:50 (permalink)
Thank you so much to everyone for all the kind words so far.  They are greatly appreciated.  It seems I have written a trip report from just about every state of big city in the country, so writing about someplace new is proving to be much fun. 
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4045
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/22 17:29:55 (permalink)
WOW!  What a report...............the food looks amazing.................the wedding cake was awesome.  But the highlight so far is BB in a suit!  You look so handsome, and should wear one to  a Roadfood gathering and "wow" them all!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22414
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/22 17:44:33 (permalink)
Really terrific.
IndianaPete
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 140
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/22 18:18:32 (permalink)
Thank you so much for the detailed report;  I've enjoyed every word !!
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2802
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/22 18:31:04 (permalink)
BB, this is just fantastic!  Thanks so much for bringing your wonderful style to Japanese culture.  I almost feel like I was right there with you and Mariton.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4614
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/22 18:58:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/04/25 09:13:17
buffetbuster,

Please address the regional appropriateness of the food you were served in Japan.

Asking for a friend.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8526
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/22 19:04:00 (permalink)
What a special event. Class.....Perfect way to start a life together!
will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 567
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/22 19:06:36 (permalink)
Everything about the reception is spectacular!
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 542
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/22 19:40:54 (permalink)
Spectacular, Cliff. Absolutely. You, and everyone look so great. I am curious, though. In that picture of the couple giving the flowers to their parents, the gentleman way over to the right, the one who is kind of half crouching down, what was he doing? Was he getting a picture? I know about the bowing but he looks like he's about to kneel. Any ideas? Just curious.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/22 22:17:10 (permalink)
Saturday April 1, 2017 (cont.)

Not wanting a repeat like the night before, this time I set the alarm.  Though I did fight waking up the best I could.  The Hyatt Regency is surely centrally located, as a big public park is across the street and it is surrounded by government buildings.  But there isn't much in the way of restaurants nearby.  So we boarded the hotel shuttle bus back to Shinjuku Station, where the dining possibilities were plentiful. 

We looked over the outside food displays of several restaurants until Mariton found one that was enticing. 

Looked good to me, too. 

The inside was small, with no more than a half dozen tables and most of the employees greeted us loudly as soon as we walked in the door.  Think of Cici's Pizza.  The waitress came over and asked if we wanted English menus and of course, we said yes. 

It had been a cold, rainy day in Tokyo and the idea of a warm noodle soup had great appeal.  Mariton picked her dish out immediately, which she never, ever does with menus in the U.S.  Over and over again on this trip, I was the one dragging my feet on what to order.  Here

is the description of her okame soba noodle dish and what it looks like it real life.

Looks pretty darn close to me.  I eventually selected the komonan soba,

which was baked duck, huge green onions and citron in a soy sauce based soup.  According to the menu, "I will achieve supreme taste."  I'm not 100% sure about that, but we both remarked at what comforting powers these dishes had as you could feel your whole chest area warm up.  We were both very happy with our food. 

To drink, a couple of Cokes in a glass bottle. 

I may be a little biased, but don't all beverages taste better in a glass bottle?

By the way, I usually give the name and address of a restaurant in these trip reports, but in most cases here, I could not tell you the names of the restaurants since we can't read Japanese.  I will probably end up sending some photos to Erika and have her read them for me, but in the meantime, I am flying blind.

We caught the last shuttle of the night back to the hotel. 

We wanted to a good night of sleep, as the next day we head out of Tokyo and start traveling on our own.

Much more to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2017/04/24 13:44:22
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/22 22:19:48 (permalink)
mlm
Spectacular, Cliff. Absolutely. You, and everyone look so great. I am curious, though. In that picture of the couple giving the flowers to their parents, the gentleman way over to the right, the one who is kind of half crouching down, what was he doing? Was he getting a picture? I know about the bowing but he looks like he's about to kneel. Any ideas? Just curious.

He was the man who kept the reception moving along.  I don't know if he worked for the hotel (most likely) or part of the wedding planners, but he seemed to be everywhere and in control of everything.  Thanks for asking!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/22 22:22:10 (permalink)
Greymo
WOW!  What a report...............the food looks amazing.................the wedding cake was awesome.  But the highlight so far is BB in a suit!  You look so handsome, and should wear one to  a Roadfood gathering and "wow" them all!

Thanks so much Greymo!  Can you imagine me wearing a suit to a Roadfood gathering?  Especially since I can't go through one regular meal without spilling food on myself.
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 721
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/23 00:10:06 (permalink)
Fabulous report, Cliff; thanks for sharing. The food at the reception is beautiful and, in some cases, enigmatic. What, for example, is the story on the fish dish? It looks like the fish is (mostly?) emptied of its meat, with sauced-up chunks on top. And the three things to the right of the fish.... a green pepper (shish!to?) [the RF filter removes the "sh*t" part of that word], a shredded-wheat-looking-cake, and a white-and-black dollop of something...????  Intriguing and beautiful.

post edited by quijote - 2017/04/23 00:11:49
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11930
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/23 03:43:48 (permalink)
The food and flowers absolutely beautiful. Having paid for several modest weddings by comparison, I can't begin to imagine how much that reception cost???" />
Ketteract
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 908
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/23 07:22:06 (permalink)
My mother is from Osaka.  Left in 1976 and never looked back.  Immediately shuts down the idea of a visit whenever I suggest it.  Maybe these pictures will help...
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7678
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/23 09:22:06 (permalink)
buffetbuster
There was no band playing, so the only music was provided by a four string quartet.

Did the playlist include "Woman From Tokyo"?
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2017/04/23 09:25:03
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13810
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/23 09:40:29 (permalink)
BB:  You look great with your clothes on.  :)  Not sure that I have ever seen you without your shorts and T.  
Everything you have posted has been over the top.  Your flight, LA, wedding and now Tokyo.  Things may get a bit more pricey there?  So what?  You only live once.
You certainly have seen and done a lot. Also ate a lot.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/23 10:08:31 (permalink)
quijote
Fabulous report, Cliff; thanks for sharing. The food at the reception is beautiful and, in some cases, enigmatic. What, for example, is the story on the fish dish? It looks like the fish is (mostly?) emptied of its meat, with sauced-up chunks on top. And the three things to the right of the fish.... a green pepper (shish!to?) [the RF filter removes the "sh*t" part of that word], a shredded-wheat-looking-cake, and a white-and-black dollop of something...????  Intriguing and beautiful.

Enigmatic is an excellent choice of words.  You can't imagine how many times I was eating something that I had no idea what it was.  Especially at the wedding.  It seems they like giving you a little taste of many things, rather than one big item, a philosophy I fully support.

Foodbme-
I asked myself that question to myself so many times.  Obviously, it would be impolite ask others.  Considering the high cost of living in Japan, especially Tokyo, this had to be the most expensive wedding I have ever attended. 

Ketteract-
That is really interesting.  Thank you for sharing that.  We loved Osaka, but certainly visiting there as a tourist is a completely different experience than actually living there. 
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/23 10:10:45 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
buffetbuster
There was no band playing, so the only music was provided by a four string quartet.

That would have been perfect!  Later on in the trip, we boarded a shuttle bus and the song playing, I swear I'm not making this up, was a Muzak version of Molly Hatchett's, "Flirting With Disaster".
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6335
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/23 10:23:42 (permalink)
My goodness, such an elegant reception!  And the edibles were so elegantly presented - I'd (almost) feel guilty consuming them as I would feel that I am somehow depriving a museum of a future display!

And that cake!  William and Kate's pales in comparison!

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13810
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/23 10:30:22 (permalink)
buffetbuster
ScreamingChicken
buffetbuster

That would have been perfect!  Later on in the trip, we boarded a shuttle bus and the song playing, I swear I'm not making this up, was a Muzak version of Molly Hatchett's, "Flirting With Disaster".

Like this???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wxAMa3Prhk

Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/23 10:37:30 (permalink)
Tremendous so far BB...at the Wedding did you taste both types of food...if so which did you prefer?
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/23 10:39:22 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
buffetbuster

Or "I Think I'm Turning Japanese"-the Vapors? " />

Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1026
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/23 11:08:32 (permalink)
Good choices on the soba restaurant. There's nothing like a nice steaming bowl of soba on a rainy day. Can't wait to see what you two get up to next!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22414
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/23 12:09:27 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Greymo

Thanks so much Greymo!  Can you imagine me wearing a suit to a Roadfood gathering?  Especially since I can't go through one regular meal without spilling food on myself.

My tie collection is a history of my meals.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/23 12:59:14 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
buffetbuster
Greymo

My tie collection is a history of my meals.

My ties were a product of running restaurants...that's why i was happy when Paisley was in. 
Ketteract
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 908
Re: Big in Japan 2017/04/23 18:35:28 (permalink)
I hope you get a chance to try a yatai at some point!

It's an ongoing fantasy of mine to stroll up to such a stall somewhere in Japan, late at night, and order a steaming bowl of real ramen.  You're in a position to do so!

post edited by Ketteract - 2017/04/23 18:37:29
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 8
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5