Helpful ReplyHot!Big in Japan

Page: << < ..678 Showing page 8 of 8
Author
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 681
Re: Big in Japan 2017/05/17 15:56:42 (permalink)
Treasure the time!
kozel
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1163
Re: Big in Japan 2017/05/17 16:55:31 (permalink)
buffetbuster
She hates the food and I have been sneaking her in better (healthy) food just about everyday. 

I always wondered what 'broth' was during my brief stay.  Broth of what?

Good news Cliff, glad to hear it.
Chris
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10303
Re: Big in Japan 2017/05/20 17:17:52 (permalink)
I have a funny story about Dad-his diabetic numbers were high. I brouht him in a piece of chocolate...his numbers were fine...
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8751
Re: Big in Japan 2017/05/20 17:46:18 (permalink)
Damn, I wish that worked for me!!
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11446
Re: Big in Japan 2017/05/20 18:46:53 (permalink)
I shouldn't have any diabetes but that obviously doesn't work for me.  Darn.

How is our Mom today, Cliff? 
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 11982
Re: Big in Japan 2017/07/18 14:16:56 (permalink)
Okay, where were we?  Oh yeah, we had just returned to downtown Hiroshima after taking the boat to Miyajima.

The most famous regional food in Hiroshima is okonomiyaki, a pancake dish typically made with cabbage.  And I was determined that okonomiyaki would be our lunch.  As soon as we exited the boat, this sign

said "follow me".  We came around the corner and this was the beginning of a long street

full of stores and restaurants as far as the eye could see.  We quickly found the restaurant mentioned in the sign, Nagata-ya.  But, since this place already had a long line out the door and there was no doubt many restaurant choices, we decided to keep walking.

Some of the sights from the pedestrian mall:

President Obama had visited Hiroshima not that long before, so we saw his images all over the place:

Tommy Lee Jones in ads? 

I don't think I have ever seen that back in the States.

A popular item for sale in store windows was school uniforms:

Should I or shouldn't I? 

I probably should, but we didn't.  They did have their menu along with prices available to see out on the street and the teriyaki burger did look intriguing.  But, we wanted okonomiyaki.

We saw many stores that have English names, but apparently some translate better than others.

Mariton went into several stores and eventually purchased some fun socks.  I checked out a candy store, since I was hoping to come home with strawberry Kit Kats.  They didn't have any, so it was purple sweet potato instead. 

And whatever these little chocolate peanut candies were called,

they were delicious.

Although we saw plenty of restaurants, for one reason or another, we never ended up eating at any of these places.  When the long pedestrian mall ended, we decided to start walking back to the hotel, with hopes of running into the perfect restaurant.  After all of this walking, I needed to sit for a few minutes and finding a bathroom would be okay, too.  Seeing a donut shop, I headed in. 

BTW, it wasn't until I was leaving that I figured out the name of the shop is Hara Donuts, since at first glance it looked like Hard Donuts. 

The young lady who waited on us was very polite, but her English was no better than my Japanese.  So when I pointed at a donut and asked what flavor it was, all I got back was a shrug of the shoulders and a giggle. 

One donut had a #1 next to it,

so I picked that out, along with a chocolate iced.  She then motioned to us to go sit down in their little dining area.

From our table, I watched her carefully pick out the donuts we chose, put them on a small metal tray, walk towards us and then disappear into the back.  Well, that was odd.  Maybe she was going to heat them up.  We waited a good five minutes until she reappeared, now with glasses of water on the tray.  Nope, the donuts were still room temperature, but the ice water was much appreciated.  Biting into the #1 seller,

it was surprising to find out the flavor was cornmeal.  The chocolate on the iced donut was a little harder than preferred and these have probably have been sitting around all day.

Would I go back to Hara Donuts?  If I had to pee bad enough, but probably not go too far out of my way.  Still, on this day it was exactly what I needed. 

We got back up and continued back towards our hotel, hoping to find the elusive okonomiyaki.

Much more to come.....  
post edited by buffetbuster - 2017/07/18 14:18:50
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5707
Re: Big in Japan 2017/07/18 16:08:45 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Tommy Lee Jones in ads? 

Never seen the TL Jones ads, but the product he appears to be endorsing, Boss Iced Coffee, is available at all the Asian markets around us.  Pretty tasty too.  It comes in little cans and is very refreshing.

Nice stuff Mr. Cliff.  Glad you're back in the swing and finishing this report.

Buddy
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1154
Re: Big in Japan 2017/07/18 17:53:21 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
buffetbuster
Tommy Lee Jones in ads? 

Never seen the TL Jones ads, but the product he appears to be endorsing, Boss Iced Coffee, is available at all the Asian markets around us.  Pretty tasty too.  It comes in little cans and is very refreshing.

Nice stuff Mr. Cliff.  Glad you're back in the swing and finishing this report.

Buddy

American actors, celebrities and even students at some of the foreign schools make lots of money for going to Japan and doing ads. It's a very lucrative business.
agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1817
Re: Big in Japan 2017/07/19 14:07:34 (permalink)
Hi Cliff,  I haven't posted in quite awhile but have been visiting lately and have been catching up on trip reports. I have really been enjoying this one because m daughter and her boyfriend were in Tokyo at exactly the same time, arriving on April 1! Such a coincidence. He surprised her with this trip as one of her Christmas presents. Thank you for sharing! Here is one of my favorite pictures of them!

Attached Image(s)

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 11982
Re: Big in Japan 2017/07/19 15:27:22 (permalink)
Buddy-
Much appreciated!  Now I regret not trying one of those while we were there.  Beverage-wise, we never strayed from water, tea and an occasional soda.  Oh, except Mariton enjoyed a few sakes.

Root-Beer Man-
I do remember reading about American movie stars doing commercials in Japan and how lucrative it was.  Wasn't that the premise behind Lost in Translation?

agnesrob-
So glad that you are back catching up and decided to post!  Thanks for sharing the great photo.  Just looking at those cherry blossoms, you can see that they were there the same time we were.
Page: << < ..678 Showing page 8 of 8
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5