Binghamton / Harpursville N. Y.

Author
eruby
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1061
2017/08/30 06:33:35 (permalink)

Binghamton / Harpursville N. Y.

I am reposting this from the 'Where Should I Eat?' forum as it was a bona fide trip. 

We got an early start Thursday, August 24th to Animal Adventure Park, in Harpursville, NY and it was good we did, as we hit traffic early, and often.  The last (and worst of it) was a bad truck crash/fire near Wilkes-Barre (Boris Badinov sought for questioning).  We got to the park later than we wanted, but still saw it all.

Park pictures in due course, but after the park, we checked into the Doubletree Hotel in Binghamton (good chocolate chip cookies upon check-in). From there we went right to Sharkey's.

Sharkey's was like a page out of history, celebrating their 70th anniversary this year.  We started with the halupki appetizer. I easily could have eaten five or six of them, with plenty of beef and a mild but flavorful sauce.

We ordered both the chicken and pork spiedies, which were good, but a little dry. The spices they used were not 100% to my liking, but I'm still glad we ordered the famous dish.

The home run of the meal was the Thursday night special, 'City Chicken'.  Pork cubes breaded and fried. Three came to an order, and I'm sure I could have polished off  six or nine skewers. 

We also had an order of the sweet coleslaw which I would have drained a bit if I could, and it was all washed down with Genese Beer. 

We had breakfast Friday morning before heading back to the People's Republic in a very good Greek diner named Chris' Diner.  They've been around since 1996 and I suspect they will remain for many more years to come.

We had the ham, egg and cheese and the kielbasa, egg and cheese on a roll sandwiches, along with a plate of nicely well done home fries. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Chris' to anyone.

We did NOT go home hungry!

The main reason we went on the trip was to go visit Animal Adventure Park in general, and see April, baby Tajiri, and Oliver, the parks' giraffes.  My wife had been following the impending birth of Tajiri, and she very much wanted to see the park and the giraffes.

I've only been to big-time zoos (The National Zoo, Pittsburgh, San Diego) but this park was very enjoyable for a small animal park.  Here are pictures of the giraffes, and some of the other animals.

April and Tajiri:

The same, but with daddy Oliver sticking his head in the open doorway:

April framing her little boy:

Oliver watching his son:

April loves her carrots:

So does Oliver

Mom and baby up close:

And begging for carrots:

A crane, zebra, and camel:

Yes, the camel likes carrots too:

Overall, it was very nice, though quick trip.  We'd definitely return to all three places without hesitation.

1 Reply Related Threads

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Binghamton / Harpursville N. Y. 2017/08/30 16:56:31 (permalink)
    I agree with you on the spiedies.....a little dry at Sharkey's.  We make them at home and they are much better
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5