Binghamton, NY - Aug 24th

Author
eruby
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1061
2017/06/15 11:38:34 (permalink)

Binghamton, NY - Aug 24th

We are going to Animal Adventure Park in Harpursville, NY on the 24th, to see the giraffes: baby Najiri, and his parents April and Oliver (among the other animals).

We will be staying at the Doubletree in Binghamton, and from what I've read here, Sharkey's is where we should go for the must try spiedies.  Any advice if this still holds true, or if there are other places that are just as worthy will be appreciated.

https://www.facebook.com/Sharkeys-Restaurant-245645535512510/

Chris' Diner looks good for Friday breakfast before returning home, but again we are open for anything.

https://chrisdiner.com/

8 Replies Related Threads

joerogo
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5110
    Re: Binghamton, NY - Aug 24th 2017/06/15 12:12:03 (permalink)
    eruby, Sharkey's is a very good choice.  I've had some memorable meals there. The owner usually works the bar, she's a hoot.  

Lupo's S & S Char Pit is another good choice.  When I was there last, you can buy lamb spiedies by the pound and the will cook it for you.  For some reason it's not on the menu.

You also have The Original Lupo's in Endwell.  They serve what I call a wet spiedie served on a hoagie bun.

Whatever you do....stay away from the Binghamton Hot Pie......trust me 

If you are coming up I-81, don't forget to stop in Pittston and say hey! 
    billyboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2855
    Re: Binghamton, NY - Aug 24th 2017/06/15 15:32:51 (permalink)
    Hi Eruby, what route will you be taking there and back?  How long will you be staying?  If you go east on Rte. 88, the Unadilla Drive-In is about a 30-40 minute drive from the Animal Adventure Park and is one of the last drive-in movie theatres in New York State.  Only open on Fridays and Saturdays.  I've never been but I grew up going to drive-ins in Central NY and this one is on my list.  Website: http://www.drive-in.ws

Another 20 minutes further east from Unadilla is Brooks' House of Bar-B-Q in Oneonta, NY and they serve up a take on the Southern Tier class "Cornell-style" barbecue chicken.  I was only there once, back in 2008, but I loved it and it has been an institution in the area since 1951.  Here's my review: https://roadfood.com/restaurants/brooks-house-of-bar-b-q/

Hope this is helpful.  Have a great trip!
    aloysius50
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: Binghamton, NY - Aug 24th 2017/06/15 16:29:08 (permalink)
    Michelangelo's 65 Court Street, Binghamton, NY 13904. Old school Red Sauce joint, not much to look at from the outside but amazing meatballs and Braciole. Don't miss the Garlic Knots. Ate there in Feb 2016.

eruby
    Re: Binghamton, NY - Aug 24th 2017/06/16 06:26:03 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone!  Hoping to get a spiedie or two at Sharky's and then braciole at Michelangelo's. I have not had braciole in many years.  Can't pass up a good garlic knot.

billyboy,  this is just a quick up and back (Thursday morning to Friday afternoon), else I'd LOVE to go to that drive-in theater.  That looks fantastic. 

aloysius50, have you ever been to Chris' Diner?

aloysius50
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: Binghamton, NY - Aug 24th 2017/06/16 08:24:50 (permalink)
    Sorry, never been to Chris'. Michelangelo's was a "drive by" between Syracuse and Scranton on a Friday night. with my girlfriend, my daughter and her husband on our way to board a Cruise in NJ Saturday morning. We all really enjoyed our meals, way more than the cruise! We were on Anthem of the Seas when it cruised into a Cat2 hurricane in February 2016.
    eruby
    Re: Binghamton, NY - Aug 24th 2017/08/23 13:28:52 (permalink)
    Leaving tomorrow morning! 

Looks like it will be Sharkey's for spiedie's tomorrow night, and Chris' Diner for breakfast Friday.

Looking forward to seeing this 'little' guy in person.

eruby
    Re: Binghamton, NY - Aug 24th 2017/08/29 14:34:09 (permalink)
    We got an early start to Animal Adventure Park, in Harpursville, NY and it was good we did, as we hit traffic early, and often.  The last (and worst of it) was a bad truck crash/fire near Wilkes-Barre (Boris Badinov sought for questioning).  We got to the park later than we wanted, but still it all

Park pics in due course, but after the park, we checked into the Doubletree Hotel in Binghamton (good chocolate chip cookies upon check-in). From there we went right to Sharkey's.

Sharkey's was like a page out of history, celebrating their 70th anniversary this year.  We started with the halupki appetizer. I easily could have eaten five or six of them, with plenty of beef and a mild but flavorful sauce.

We ordered both the chicken and pork spiedies, which were good, but a little dry. The spices they used were not 100% to my liking, but I'm still glad we ordered the famous dish.

The home run of the meal was the Thursday night special, 'City Chicken'.  Pork cubes breaded and fried. Three came to an order, and I'm sure I could have polished off  six or nine skewers. 

We also had an order of the sweet coleslaw which I would have drained a bit if I could, and it was all washed down with Genese Beer. 

We had breakfast Friday morning before heading back to the People's Republic in a very good Greek diner named Chris' Diner.  They've been around since 1996 and I suspect they will remain for many more years to come.

We had the ham, egg and cheese and the kielbasa, egg and cheese on a roll sandwiches, along with a plate of nicely well done home fries. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Chris' to anyone.

We did NOT go home hungry!

The main reason we went on the trip was to go visit Animal Adventure Park in general, and see April, baby Tajiri, and Oliver, the parks' giraffes.  My wife had been following the impending birth of Tajiri, and she very much wanted to see the park and the giraffes.

I've only been to big-time zoos (The National Zoo, Pittsburgh, San Diego) but this park was very enjoyable for a small animal park.  Here are pictures of the giraffes, and some of the other animals.

April and Tajiri:

The same, but with daddy Oliver sticking his head in the open doorway:

April framing her little boy:

Oliver watching his son:

April loves her carrots:

So does Oliver

Mom and baby up close:

And begging for carrots:

A crane, zebra, and camel:

Yes, the camel likes carrots too:

Overall, it was very nice, though quick trip.  We'd definitely return to all three places without hesitation.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 582
    Re: Binghamton, NY - Aug 24th 2017/08/29 18:14:57 (permalink)
    Nice recap.

I live about 75 minutes south of Binghamton and I've been to Sharkey's four times over the past 20 or so years.   I've taken other Roadfood friends - and while it's a charming joint in a working class neighborhood, no one ever seems to rave about the speidies.   Maybe I don't like spiedies - or maybe there are better?

Thumbs up for Tony's Texas Hots and Phil's Chicken House nearby.   I'll add Chris' to the list.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5