Hot!Birmingham, Alabama

Author
tfrielin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 442
  • Joined: 2004/04/13 11:06:00
  • Location: Athens, GA
  • Status: offline
2008/07/16 08:45:02 (permalink)

Birmingham, Alabama

A friend is going to Birmingham for several days and will be near St. Vincent's Hospital. He's interested in good breakfast places, good local burger joints, pizza, and just about any good local places. Where should he go?
#1

26 Replies Related Threads

    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    • Joined: 2005/10/18 22:23:00
    • Location: Mandeville, LA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/16 08:56:44 (permalink)
    http://www.chriszs.com/
    Golden Rule BBQ
    O.T.'s Neighborhood Sports Grill
    Lakeview Oyster House

    You can also do a search on here for Birmingham, Alabama for other places. I know I added some to other topics. Sorry to be so vauge, I'm headed out the door.
    #2
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12333
    • Joined: 2002/05/09 13:42:00
    • Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/16 09:05:27 (permalink)
    The place in Birmingham I like for breakfast is Bogue's. I also had a fantastic dinner last year at Niki's West.

    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=222
    #3
    wanderingjew
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10547
    • Joined: 2001/01/18 18:49:00
    • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/16 10:50:33 (permalink)
    Do not go to the Irondale Cafein suburban Irondale unless you like cold greasy food that will ravage your digestive system.

    Check this place out

    [url]www.birminghammenus.com/thefishmarket[/url]

    I was quite impressed the last time I was there three years ago in "landlocked" Birmingham

    Get there early- they do draw a crowd
    #4
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 442
    • Joined: 2004/04/13 11:06:00
    • Location: Athens, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/16 11:19:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

    Do not go to the Irondale Cafein suburban Irondale unless you like cold greasy food that will ravage your digestive system.

    Check this place out

    [url]www.birminghammenus.com/thefishmarket[/url]

    I was quite impressed the last time I was there three years ago in "landlocked" Birmingham

    Get there early- they do draw a crowd



    I believe this used to called the Alabama Fish Market. They have the best West Indies salad.

    #5
    wanderingjew
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10547
    • Joined: 2001/01/18 18:49:00
    • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/16 11:26:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tfrielin

    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

    Do not go to the Irondale Cafein suburban Irondale unless you like cold greasy food that will ravage your digestive system.

    Check this place out

    [url]www.birminghammenus.com/thefishmarket[/url]

    I was quite impressed the last time I was there three years ago in "landlocked" Birmingham

    Get there early- they do draw a crowd



    I believe this used to called the Alabama Fish Market. They have the best West Indies salad.



    Yes, they did. Although I failed to eat it the proper way,instead of utilizing the saltines provided, I ate it along with my "greek side salad" and therefore did not enjoy the full "experience". I rectified that this past February at Wintzell's in Mobile
    #6
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    • Joined: 2005/10/18 22:23:00
    • Location: Mandeville, LA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/16 12:01:33 (permalink)
    The Fish Market is wonderful! It's about 4 mins from St. Vincent's.

    A good meat and three that serves breakfast is Ted's. Been around a long, long time.
    http://www.birminghammenus.com/teds/

    Bogue's is pretty danged wonderful too.

    John's City Diner is nice. Housemade dressings and a really good Gulf Coast platter. Their fried green tomatoes and white chocolate bread pudding is good too.
    http://www.birminghammenus.com/johns/

    There is a Jim 'N' Nicks bbq in 5 points, http://www.jimnnicks.com/ the best bbq! I love this stuff so much I let people stay at my house for mardi gras free if they bring me this bbq from home lol

    Dreamland has a place on southside too but I've never eaten at that location.

    A nice little place in Clairmont, right down the road from St. Vincent's, is Little Savannah. http://www.birminghammenus.com/littlesavannah/ They have a grilled pimento sandwich that I adore. Every Wed night is neighborhood night, a 3 course meal for 35. Thurs nights 9 to midnight they have live music.

    Guess you have to be from there to really love the Irondale Cafe. I've never had a bad meal there. Though it's a bit out of the way for your friend.

    Just avoid any place named Costa's. Bad bbq and Greek food...ugh.

    Nikki's West is way out of the way of St. Vincent's but if they ever make it over that way, def stop in. Best meat and three on the planet.

    If he heads out to Southside a great place is Highland Bar and Grill. Hot and Hot Fish Club is a bit flashy but they have great food.

    The Purple Onion, Al's Deli and Grill are open 24/7. The Purple Onion is American and Mediterranean.

    If he wants to visit a great little neighborhood bar tell him to stop at Marty's http://www.martysbar.com/ Lots of Blue's and Jazz, except on open mic night, he'll hear anything. Tell him to ask for Scott (and tell Scott his sister says hey :-)Their hamburgers aren't bad either.
    #7
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 442
    • Joined: 2004/04/13 11:06:00
    • Location: Athens, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/16 15:03:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BhamBabe

    The Fish Market is wonderful! It's about 4 mins from St. Vincent's.

    Bogue's is pretty danged wonderful too. snip...



    Thanks BhamBabe.

    I grew up in Birmingham (c. 1961--1977) but left over thirty years ago.

    Stll visit family there every year, but so much of the Birmingham I knew growing up is gone. Restaurants and bars like Ziggy's Pizza, The Beefeater, Pasquales (at least those in town) Cadilliac Cafe, Duggan's, Hogan's Hideaway, GG's in the Park (gone, right?) and so many others. And entire hangout places like the Eastwood Mall--vanished.

    Ironically, Bogues is still going strong. For years, I passed the place every day on my way to high school (John Carroll on Highland--also gone) and to UAB where I got my degree and also worked, but sadly, never once stopped into Bogues for breakfast. Maybe I can remedy that oversight next time I'm in town.

    Also glad to see Ranelli's at Five Points still there--they had the best meatball subs, but you had to get there early, because they only made so many meatballs and once they sold out, it was no more meatball subs for the day.

    #8
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    • Joined: 2005/10/18 22:23:00
    • Location: Mandeville, LA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/16 18:21:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tfrielin

    Originally posted by BhamBabeStll visit family there every year, but so much of the Birmingham I knew growing up is gone. Restaurants and bars like Ziggy's Pizza, The Beefeater, Pasquales (at least those in town) Cadilliac Cafe, Duggan's, Hogan's Hideaway, GG's in the Park (gone, right?) and so many others. And entire hangout places like the Eastwood Mall--vanished.



    I know! I miss all those places. Hogan's Hideaway was the first place I had a 'grown up' drink lol We use to go to GG's in the Park when we'd visit my daddy for lunch. He worked at the Army recruiting building across the street. Yep, it's gone.

    So weird to see Eastwood Mall gone and the area has gone so downhill. Every thing has gone towards Trussville now. Traffic out that way is horrible!!

    I can remember driving around southside, up and down the hills, and the Castle apartments like it was yesterday. Of course we were young and poor so we ate at the 25 cent hamburger stand in Centerpoint more than any other place. Cheaper than Krystals even lol

    I miss Birmingham very much. I'm hoping to get home this year. It's been about 2 years since I saw the mountains.
    #9
    will_work_4_bbq
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 644
    • Joined: 2006/01/11 16:50:00
    • Location: Birmingham, AL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/16 18:59:02 (permalink)
    I am back in Birmingham after being away for 30 years! It is great to go to Niki's, John's, Ted's, Bogue's, and so many other places I missed while I was living elsewhere. And you're so right about all those long-gone places....Dugan's, Hogan's, Cadillac Cafe.....wow - what a blast from the past! I miss them too! My high school - Shades Valley - is not only gone, they built a new one in Irondale! Just not the same!
    Back to restaurants.....I really like Lloyd's out 280 for good old country cooking.....and Lovoy's on Greensprings Hwy for Italian. The Dreamland on Southside is quite good, btw. The Fish Market in Calera has a great breakfast but I'm not sure about the one near St. Vincent's.
    Hope you get back here soon, Bham Babe, and hope your friend has a good trip and some good eats, tfrielin.
    #10
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1757
    • Joined: 2000/10/23 05:15:00
    • Location: Baltimore, MD
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/16 23:26:18 (permalink)
    I'm not sure where St. Vincents is, but I would go out of my way for 3 or 4 hot dogs at Pete's Famous, downtown.
    #11
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 442
    • Joined: 2004/04/13 11:06:00
    • Location: Athens, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/17 09:00:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by will_work_4_bbq

    I am back in Birmingham after being away for 30 years! It is great to go to Niki's, John's, Ted's, Bogue's, and so many other places I missed while I was living elsewhere. And you're so right about all those long-gone places....Dugan's, Hogan's, Cadillac Cafe.....wow - what a blast from the past! I miss them too! My high school - Shades Valley - is not only gone, they built a new one in Irondale! Just not the same!
    Back to restaurants.....I really like Lloyd's out 280 for good old country cooking.....and Lovoy's on Greensprings Hwy for Italian. The Dreamland on Southside is quite good, btw. The Fish Market in Calera has a great breakfast but I'm not sure about the one near St. Vincent's.
    Hope you get back here soon, Bham Babe, and hope your friend has a good trip and some good eats, tfrielin.


    Thanks to you two--BhamBabe ex-pat and recently re-patriated Bham native will-work-for-bbq! It's great to share such memories of these great places in Birmingham back in the day.

    I'll throw in Cafe Italiano downtown--best pizza I ever had circa mid '60s.

    If you're not aware another Birmingham guy, Russell Wells, maintains two great tribute sites--one for the late Eastwood Mall and one called Birmingham Rewound. They are at:

    http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

    http://www.birminghamrewound.com/EastwoodMall/
    #12
    will_work_4_bbq
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 644
    • Joined: 2006/01/11 16:50:00
    • Location: Birmingham, AL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/17 09:09:34 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tribute site info. Have you read the Southern Foodways Alliance oral history of Greeks in Birmingham? They interviewed the owners of Niki's, Pete's, Bright Star, and many more fabulous restaurants owned and operated by Greek immigrants. Fascinating! (and delicious)

    http://www.southernfoodways.com/oral_history/greek/index.shtml

    #13
    ULVER
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    • Joined: 2003/08/22 02:28:00
    • Location: Atlanta, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/17 16:01:47 (permalink)
    Question!
    Anyone been to this Italian place



    Strangely enough, back in the day when professional wrestling was a mainstay at the Boutwell Auditorium, the wrestlers used to love to hit Lovoy's. They said, Andre The Giant thought it was some of the best Italian, he ever had down South.

    I have family in Homewood. I heard it wasn't too far away. As a reference point, is it far from the police station?
    #14
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    • Joined: 2005/10/18 22:23:00
    • Location: Mandeville, LA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/17 16:55:52 (permalink)
    Lovoy's is nice! True Italian food.

    It's on Green Springs Hwy, close to Oxmoor and Palisades Bld. The police department is right off of Oxmoor and close to Independence drive. I'd say about 6-10 mins apart maybe.
    #15
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    • Joined: 2005/10/18 22:23:00
    • Location: Mandeville, LA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/17 16:59:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for those links y'all!

    Oh and Ulver, that should be Palisades BLVD. Here's the website

    http://www.birminghammenus.com/lovoys/

    They have a certain shrimp dish I like there but it's been a long time since I've been I can't remember what the name of is it.
    #16
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13889
    • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
    • Location: Knoxville, TN,
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/17 17:28:40 (permalink)
    I will suggest Dreamland BBQ. I have tried them in Huntsville, Mobile and Birmingham. I truly enjoy their ribs. I have enjoyed them with many of the roadfood team and we always enjoyed their ribs and BBQ sauce.

    Try this location in Bham.

    http://www.dreamlandbbq.com/default.aspx?id=43

    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    #17
    wanderingjew
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10547
    • Joined: 2001/01/18 18:49:00
    • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/17 18:35:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

    I will suggest Dreamland BBQ. I have tried them in Huntsville, Mobile and Birmingham. I truly enjoy their ribs. I have enjoyed them with many of the roadfood team and we always enjoyed their ribs and BBQ sauce.

    Try this location in Bham.

    http://www.dreamlandbbq.com/default.aspx?id=43

    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN



    Paul,

    You haven't been to the original location in Tuscaloosa?

    If you think the ribs at Dreamland in Mobile were good- then the ribs at the original location in Tuscaloosa will be ORGASMIC
    #18
    Bamagurl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    • Joined: 2008/07/06 12:52:00
    • Location: Maryville, TN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/17 23:28:33 (permalink)
    I am now officially homesick after reading these posts. I have been away from home for 23 years and I miss Birmingham very much. Since my mom passed away six years ago I don't get back much anymore. I attended Ramsay High School from 72-76 and we would often go to Ranelli's after school. I had my first po'boy sandwich there. I especially miss the good BBQ restaurants. Here in Maryville, TN (Knoxville) there is no good 'que to be found. At least I haven't found it. I also miss Sneaky Pete's. Maybe I should be glad to be away from those places. I would probably weigh a lot more. Does anyone remember Catfish Cabin? I remember going there as a young girl and my family and I would devour the fritters. Sucn wonderful memories.
    #19
    ULVER
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    • Joined: 2003/08/22 02:28:00
    • Location: Atlanta, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/18 01:37:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bamagurl

    I am now officially homesick after reading these posts. I have been away from home for 23 years and I miss Birmingham very much. Since my mom passed away six years ago I don't get back much anymore. I attended Ramsay High School from 72-76 and we would often go to Ranelli's after school. I had my first po'boy sandwich there. I especially miss the good BBQ restaurants. Here in Maryville, TN (Knoxville) there is no good 'que to be found. At least I haven't found it. I also miss Sneaky Pete's. Maybe I should be glad to be away from those places. I would probably weigh a lot more. Does anyone remember Catfish Cabin? I remember going there as a young girl and my family and I would devour the fritters. Sucn wonderful memories.


    What was Five Points South like way back when? I'm retired law enforcement. I still love the alternative downtown areas, and have had a blast in the past with this area. However, one of my buds told me that they had a bad shooting in Five Points last weekend, and the gang prob is getting worse. Lots of thugs now...
    #20
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    • Joined: 2005/10/18 22:23:00
    • Location: Mandeville, LA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/18 14:58:36 (permalink)
    Ulver, I'll be honest with you. Crime is bad in Birmingham.

    Way back when I was in high school 5 Points south was edgy but safer than today. I felt safe walking with friends all over the place or just sitting under the trees in Brother Bryan Park. When we weren't cruising around the mall we headed downtown. There was a few places that had teen night etc or heck, just people watching was fun. As I got older the bars were always a hit :-)

    It had a vibe all its on. Esp with the music scene being so big in Birmingham, it just felt like an exciting place to be. You never knew what you were going to see. It's always been a center of diversity, from culture to ethnicity so you could be assured of folks of all walks of life hanging out. It was a place to be different and no one cared.

    Bamagurl, I don't remember a Catfish Cabin but I do remember a Catfish King. They had the best house salad and hushpuppies ever! I too miss bbq!
    #21
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 442
    • Joined: 2004/04/13 11:06:00
    • Location: Athens, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/18 17:03:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ULVER

    quote:
    Originally posted by Bamagurl

    I am now officially homesick after reading these posts. I have been away from home for 23 years and I miss Birmingham very much. Since my mom passed away six years ago I don't get back much anymore. I attended Ramsay High School from 72-76 and we would often go to Ranelli's after school. I had my first po'boy sandwich there. I especially miss the good BBQ restaurants. Here in Maryville, TN (Knoxville) there is no good 'que to be found. At least I haven't found it. I also miss Sneaky Pete's. Maybe I should be glad to be away from those places. I would probably weigh a lot more. Does anyone remember Catfish Cabin? I remember going there as a young girl and my family and I would devour the fritters. Sucn wonderful memories.


    What was Five Points South like way back when? I'm retired law enforcement. I still love the alternative downtown areas, and have had a blast in the past with this area. However, one of my buds told me that they had a bad shooting in Five Points last weekend, and the gang prob is getting worse. Lots of thugs now...



    I'll second these emotion, BamaBabe and BamaGirl.

    Back in my UAB days--the '70s--Five Points was the closest Birmingham had a a college town strip (like Broad St. today here in Athens GA).

    You had Gene Crutcher's Bookstore, Duggans classic bar&grill, of course that freaky cool Cadilliac Cafe on the corner, Ranelli's right up the street a half block, the Beefeater a cool, atmospherically dark restaurant that I believe might have been a sister restaurant to that ladies-who-lunch place, Cobb Lane, which is still going strong today.

    I think I'm correct that the Golden Temple was at Five Points back then for the several vegetarians who inhabited Bham back then (but I kid the vegetarians..).

    Perhaps the only other locale that could compare was downtown Homewood, home to The Angry Revolt headshop, official Hippie Central and located on "the dangerous curve" there in Homewood, as their wryly satiric slogan put it.

    I'm glad Sneaky Pete's hot dogs gets a mention--another Birmingham signature food.

    And I also remeber Catfish King (aka King's Catfish King, presumably because the King family owned them?). There was one in Woodlawn and I believe Joe Rumore on WVOK heavily advertised them. Never went to one though and I'm guessing they are long gone.

    Crime in Bham? Yes, it apparently is way more dangerous these days. Not sure of the reason, but it's sad to read it in the papers. I guess like most major cities the crime is concentrated in the city center and most people have fled to the suburbs and exurbs (see the decline of the Eastwood Mall area). Sad, really.
    #22
    Bamagurl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    • Joined: 2008/07/06 12:52:00
    • Location: Maryville, TN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/18 23:54:00 (permalink)
    BhamBabe, you are right. The name of the catfish place was Catfish King. As soon as I typed Catfish Cabin I knew it didn't sound right. I knew someone would remember it. The dressing for the house salad was delicious. That and the hushpuppies are all I remember.

    ULVER, you asked about Five Points South. During summers, when I was 10, 11, 12 I was allowed to walk with friends from my house on 16th Ave. to 5 Points. Sometimes we would ride the bus. We would go to the library nearby, where we belonged to the reading club, and then on to Woolworth's to look at records and maybe get something to eat in their little dining area. I think there was another 5&10 nearby. Not once did we ever feel unsafe. This would have been 1968-70. Can you imagine letting kids do this today? The crime rate in B'ham now is unreal.
    #23
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 442
    • Joined: 2004/04/13 11:06:00
    • Location: Athens, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2008/07/19 08:47:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bamagurl

    BhamBabe, you are right. The name of the catfish place was Catfish King. As soon as I typed Catfish Cabin I knew it didn't sound right. I knew someone would remember it. The dressing for the house salad was delicious. That and the hushpuppies are all I remember.

    ULVER, you asked about Five Points South. During summers, when I was 10, 11, 12 I was allowed to walk with friends from my house on 16th Ave. to 5 Points. Sometimes we would ride the bus. We would go to the library nearby, where we belonged to the reading club, and then on to Woolworth's to look at records and maybe get something to eat in their little dining area. I think there was another 5&10 nearby. Not once did we ever feel unsafe. This would have been 1968-70. Can you imagine letting kids do this today? The crime rate in B'ham now is unreal.


    Yes it sure is differet now. One Sunday afternoon in 1967 or '68 a friend and I decided to ride our bikes from his house on 56th St. in Crestwood to the only McDonalds in town-the one by the Roebuck Shopping Center. So we rode down the hill, through Woodlawn, out through Eastlake and had enough money between us to buy a hamburer, french fries, and a Coke each. Then we turned around and rode back. Felt safe all the way.

    Now whether I could make that ride today or not, I sure wouldn't feel safe doing it.
    #24
    scrumptiouschef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2427
    • Joined: 2005/10/05 00:24:00
    • Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2018/10/04 16:37:57 (permalink)
    Interesting reading about all these long-shuttered Birmingham places from these long-dormant Roadfooders.
    #25
    Root-Beer Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1528
    • Joined: 2006/01/09 00:14:00
    • Location: Noblesville, IN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2018/10/04 17:13:07 (permalink)
    scrumptiouschef
    Interesting reading about all these long-shuttered Birmingham places from these long-dormant Roadfooders.


    While you're in the area, pop over to Bessemer (just a bit west on the Interstate) and have a meal at Bob Syke's BBQ. Good stuff, done the way Dreamland used to over an open pit. And do not miss their pies and desserts! I save room for multiples!
    #26
    scrumptiouschef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2427
    • Joined: 2005/10/05 00:24:00
    • Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
    • Status: offline
    RE: Birmingham, Alabama 2018/10/04 17:42:05 (permalink)
    It's good. I posted this three weeks ago
     
    "I lost count of how many times I've eaten there but it's been a long time since my last visit. After Mr Sykes had his stroke they would bring him into the restaurant and sort of prop him up so he could feel like he was still part of the operation.
    His wife Maxine was the brawn and the brains of the concern. Here's her obit for those who are interested https://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2015/01/bob_sykes_bar-b-q_was_always_a.html
    #27
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5