Birthday Traditions

Author
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
2004/12/28 10:15:10 (permalink)

Birthday Traditions

After reading the New Years Traditions and seeing how many of us had January birthdays,I got to thinking about different ways to celebrate birthdays and different ways I've done it over the years... With a January birthday- there wasn't too much I could do-- but my mom always managed to give me a special day- no matter what..
Birthday traditions in my house were complete with our favorite meal ( mine was usually turkey/roast beef or her home made lasagna i'd rotate every year) and always a cake.. mine was usually chocolate or cheese cake..
Those were some of my happiest memories about growing up.. Mom always made MY day special.. and I always claimed that day as MY OWN..
Now -- lets here some of your birthday fun times..(and no need to mention "numbers" here.. cause we're all YOUNG AT HEART!! )

11 Replies Related Threads

RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Birthday Traditions 2004/12/28 10:45:26 (permalink)
    My mother would always make her famous orange chiffon cake that used a dozen egg whites. She'd frost it with boiled icing tinted in the same color of the froufrou organdy birthday dress she and my grandmother made for me. My parents only sprung for colored film for my birthday and Christmas and I have a series of snapshots of me standing next to the revered cake in matching pastel colors - green, peach, pink, and the luscious lilac of age 5.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6028
    RE: Birthday Traditions 2004/12/28 10:49:24 (permalink)
    My birthday was 3 weeks ago, and I normally make up my favorite snacks to share with freinds that stop in. Growing up it was a pizza, and I still hold on to that tradition for the dinner. But now that I'm way into my adult life (no need to mention numbers), cant forget the Tequila, Beers, Schnapps and Vodka that was drank that day also... Already counting down the days till the next one... And when you where young and heard that days and years go faster as you get older, they where right... ARGHHH...
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Birthday Traditions 2004/12/28 14:04:17 (permalink)
    i second that one.. tis true that days and years go faster when you are older.. i used to hear my father say that all the time and thought he was nuts.... another fact of life-- the older you get the smarter your parents seem to be...... he used to tell me ' don't wish your life away' when i was 10 i couldn't wait to be a teen ager.. when i was 13 i couldn't wait to be 16 to drive... and so on.. time flies faster when you get older......... thanks for that reminder.. that i'm getting OLD... ( no numbers!!! :)
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Birthday Traditions 2004/12/28 14:30:44 (permalink)
    I posted this one other time in a similar thread....Every birthday, I indulge myself (some would say inflict myself) with the only Welch's grape soda I'll drink all year. My birthday is in late spring, so assuming it's a nice day I sit on a bench, think about the year just passed and the year ahead. That's really my only birthday tradition.
    MacTAC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: Birthday Traditions 2005/01/17 22:58:02 (permalink)
    Today was my day, and it's Flank Steak/Bacon Meat(?), gnocchi with gravy and red cabbage. What we call Black Forest Cake- 2 chocolate layers, black cherries between and fresh whipped cream, no sugar. Still stuffed and now back to the New Year's resolution…
    dctourist
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 325
    RE: Birthday Traditions 2005/01/18 16:12:42 (permalink)
    My sister, as a kid, always asked for boiled Maine lobster and whole artichokes.
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Birthday Traditions 2005/01/18 16:47:25 (permalink)
    Have January birthday - every year I ask my mother to make stuffed cabbage. Great winter comfort food but a bit of effort to make. Grew up in Pittsburgh, and my mother learned to make it from a friend of Croatian background. (Every Eastern European group has unique style) This method calls for beef and rice rolled up in cabbage, lots of tomato sauce all over, then as the twist, lots of sauerkraut over all! Wonderful stuff, but if you hate sauerkraut, this one's not for you!
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1331
    RE: Birthday Traditions 2005/01/18 16:55:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CarolinaBill

Have January birthday - every year I ask my mother to make stuffed cabbage. Great winter comfort food but a bit of effort to make. Grew up in Pittsburgh, and my mother learned to make it from a friend of Croatian background. (Every Eastern European group has unique style) This method calls for beef and rice rolled up in cabbage, lots of tomato sauce all over, then as the twist, lots of sauerkraut over all! Wonderful stuff, but if you hate sauerkraut, this one's not for you!

Sounds wonderful to me. I am half Ukrainian and grew up in an Ukrainian household. My grandmother, mother, and now me (and one of my daughters does it much the same way except that we cover the rolls with the outer leaves of the head of cabbage and pour a quart of crushed or diced tomatoes over the whole pan and bake. I love them; I also like them with the sauerkraut over all. At one time I met an elderly Ukrainian lady who wanted to make the cabbage rolls the way she had always done them. She used a ton of cooked rice and a very small amount of finely chopped ham for the meat. I will say that they were the only cabbage rolls that I did not like.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Birthday Traditions 2005/01/19 00:04:43 (permalink)
    Pumpkin pie instead of birthday cake is my only birthday tradition. (Ever since I was old enough to ask for it.)
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1204
    RE: Birthday Traditions 2005/01/23 15:49:12 (permalink)
    This is kind of pathetic, but I don't think we ever had any traditions for my birthday except for the usual cake, etc. One thing you could always rely on, however, would be that my birthday party would probably be cancelled because of a snowstorm! This year (my bday is on 1/20, inauguration day and also George Burns' bday), we did go out to dinner in Philly, which was different. And speaking of January birthdays: One of my brothers' is tomorrow (1/24), my nephew is 1/10, his sister's is today, my sister-in-law (who's on a cruise now) (grumble grumble) was the 11th, her sister's is right around there...

And look at it outside. I think we got a foot of snow if not a little less. I don't like it! I'd like to start a birthday tradition of me being in a warm climate.
    ladytenor
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Birthday Traditions 2005/01/29 17:16:57 (permalink)
    Growing up, it was a tradition on all family birthdays (Mom, Dad, sister and me) to go to the Chicken and Steak Restaurant in Shelbyville IN. I almost always got their chicken fried steak (which was heavenly). A couple of my favorite memories involved my sister. One time she begged to be allowed to place the orders for all of us, and my dad gave in and let her do it. So she placed her order, and then said, "And my daddy will have the Smothered Snake!" (smothered steak). We teased her about that for years. Then one other time she ordered some type of fish (I think it might have been trout) and was horrified when it arrived at the table with the head and tail still attached. She had to take the lettuce leaf that they gave her for garnish and put it over the head so the fish wouldn't be "staring at her" when she was eating.
    Sadly, that restuarant changed hands and went downhill, and then became a Waffle House for a time before closing and being torn down.
    Now my husband and I will either go to Red Lobster or Roadhouse USA for our birthday dinner. I like Red Lobster because my best friend works there as a server and will give me the best personal service when I go in, and Roadhouse USA has the best steaks and sides of any steakhouse I have been in.
    We also go to his parents and his dad grills steaks (unfortunately well-done and not medium rare like I like) and his mom does homemade fries, green salad and the dessert of choice of the birthday person.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5