Helpful ReplyHot!Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
nagle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 287
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/06 20:05:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Bonk 2018/05/06 21:02:37
Great job, John. đź‘Ś
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 928
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/06 20:38:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Bonk 2018/05/06 21:02:40
nagle
Great job, John. đź‘Ś

Yes, great report John.

Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4229
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/06 22:34:48 (permalink)
Davidsanders
Sunday, April 29th

On the original schedule for breakfast this morning before our 11 a.m. lunch was Yeast, where we had already been, and Dozen Bakery, where I had been earlier and didn’t particularly like. Yeast was canceled, and along with Dozen, Five Daughters Bakery was added. I had been there as well, but I went back, because it was so good.

They didn’t have the Quinn, which I had enjoyed so much and was looking forward to again, so I got another lemon blueberry, and a plain (non-filled) glazed with vanilla frosting. 

I wasn’t as thrilled with this one as I had been the others, but it was still quite good. 

Our final lunch was at another Nashville institution, Monell’s Café. It was a very good choice for a last gathering, and certainly one of the highlights of the trip. It’s a very beautiful setting, which is a good thing, because the waits are very long. We went to the original location, which had been recommended by Dale, who unfortunately couldn’t be with us on this trip. This original location was built in 1905, but did not become the restaurant until 1995. They serve breakfast until 11 a.m. and begin lunch at 11 a.m., and take no reservations. However, Keith arrived at around 10, put our group of 20 on the list in the number one spot, and as we all arrived, we were able to enjoy the beautiful setting of this elegant building and its gardens.

While we were waiting we were able to get someone waiting to take a group photo.

Today’s menu.

They don’t fool around.

We finally were led to our table (we were divided into tables of 12 and 8) at around 11:20. The first thing we saw at the table was dessert. I believe this was a sugar cream pie, but I never tried it because I was just too full by the end of the meal.

There was immediately coleslaw and broccoli salad to be passed around. I made the mistake of putting the coleslaw on my regular plate, not noticing the small plates on the lazy susan in the middle of the table. I asked the waiter if I could have another large plate and he said no! One large plate to a customer. Surprising, to say the least.

The “real” food started arriving pretty quickly, and we were informed that we had to pass everything from left to right. The biscuits were very good. There were bowls of fresh peach preserves on the table to have with them.

Then came the fried chicken.

Then the rest of the dishes starting coming out in earnest. Roast beef and gravy.

Barbecue pork ribs.

Cajun grilled catfish.

Mashed potatoes.

Green beans.

Corn pudding.

Mac and cheese. There was also sweet potato casserole, but it looks like I didn’t get a photo of it. 

After a little while they brought out some more biscuits and offered to bring out more of anything we wanted. I’m not sure, but I don’t think anyone asked for anything more. Needless to say, everyone was stuffed at the end of this meal, and I think it was a great way to end the Crawl. Most people, including myself, started leaving for home directly from the restaurant once the meal was finished.

Monell's Café
1235 6th Ave. North
Nashville, TN
(615) 248-4747
https://monellstn.com

I am so happy when I can end a trip with Skyline Chili. Some find that sacrilege, but I love it, and I enjoyed it immensely.

My four way with onions.

My coney with everything.

I had a wonderful time on this trip, my second Roadfood Crawl. I was sorry that some of the people who were on the Kansas City Crawl weren’t able to attend this year, including Jim (JRPfeff) and Bobbi (Pie Diva) Pfefferle, and Dale (Wandering Jew). And I was very happy to meet new people, including Cliff (Buffetbuster) and Mariton, Keith (Chickenplucker) and Linda (Mrs. Chicken) and Lynn (will_work_4_bbq), and see Irisarbor (Elaine) and Frank again, whom I had met during the year at Gene and Georgetti’s.

Here is my summary, such that it is.

My favorites:
Payne’s Bar-B-Q
Helen’s Bar-B-Que
Husk (for lunch)
Husk (for dinner)
Skyline Chili

Runners up:
The Pie Folks
Five Daughters Bakery
Mike’s Ice Cream
Elliston Place Soda Shop
Monell’s Café

Very Good:
Arnold’s Country Kitchen
Germantown Commissary Barbecue
Muddy’s Bake Shop
Leonard’s BBQ
Cupboard Restaurant
Cozy Corner
Bryant’s Breakfast
Colt’s Chocolates
Bobbie’s Dairy Dip
Pancake Pantry
Martin’s Barbecue
Yeast
Sweet Creations Pie Shop

Good:
A&R Barbecue
La Baguette
Uncle Lou’s Fried Chicken
Arcade
Barksdale
Frost Bake Shop
BBQ Shop
Gabby’s Burgers and Fries
Fox’s Donut Den
Biscuit Love
The Proper Bagel
Bolton’s Spicy Chicken and Fish
Dozen Bakery
Loveless Café
Peg Leg Porker
Nashville Farmers Market
Swett’s
Coco’s Italian Market

A disappointment:
Gibson’s Donuts
Pied Piper Creamery
Fido

Thanks for reading!

This was one awesome report.  I enjoyed reading it all and was especially happy that you really enjoyed Husk.  We have been to Husk in in  two of their locations.............one of them being Nashville.  
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/06 22:49:51 (permalink)
Greymo
Davidsanders
Sunday, April 29th

This was one awesome report.  I enjoyed reading it all and was especially happy that you really enjoyed Husk.  We have been to Husk in in  two of their locations.............one of them being Nashville.  

Which other location of Husk have you been to, Charleston, Savannah or Greenville?

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12279
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/07 09:07:08 (permalink)
A big thanks to Davidsanders, chickenplucker and Bonk for their fantastic reports.  Great work guys!
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/07 10:19:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chickenplucker 2018/05/07 10:21:55
buffetbuster
A big thanks to Davidsanders, chickenplucker and Bonk for their fantastic reports.  Great work guys!

Thanks buffetbuster, but I'm still waiting for the master to add his report to this thread. Those pictures you removed from the other thread were a tantalizing start.
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 801
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/07 10:23:03 (permalink)
I am still trying to figure out how I didn't get any of the sweet potato's at Monell's. Gotta go back
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/07 10:36:24 (permalink)
chickenplucker
I am still trying to figure out how I didn't get any of the sweet potato's at Monell's. Gotta go back

Maybe they actually didn't have any. I thought I had gotten pictures of all the dishes.
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 801
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/07 10:37:28 (permalink)
You are probably right...
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12279
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/07 10:49:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chickenplucker 2018/05/07 11:29:45
We had sweet potatoes at our table.  Very, very sweet.  Since we were right out in front, I never pulled out my phone to take any food photos at Monell's

Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/07 11:16:47 (permalink)
Davidsanders
Greymo
Davidsanders
Sunday, April 29th

Which other location of Husk have you been to, Charleston, Savannah or Greenville?

We have been to the one in Charleston.  Next trip south, we will go to the one in Savannah.  
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/07 12:07:55 (permalink)
Greymo
Davidsanders
Greymo
Davidsanders
Sunday, April 29th

We have been to the one in Charleston.  Next trip south, we will go to the one in Savannah.  

I went to the one in Charleston in 2012 and it was great. I heard a review of both of the new ones. It was a rave for Greenville and not too good for Savannah. I would imagine by now they've made some changes to make it the equal of the others.

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6175
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/07 14:06:57 (permalink)
Davidsanders,
There were definitely Sweet Potatoes on the table at Monell's.  It was all I could do to avoid them.  Mrs. Roadhouse, OTOH, enjoyed them quite a bit.

Bonkster,
Dang, that was a dandy trip report!  It's always the quiet ones who surprise you, ain't it?  Seriously, it was a lot of fun to read, informative, and had a load of great photos.  Kinda makes me wish you'd go back and try to recap 2017's KC Crawl.

buffetbuster,
I sure hope you saved that trip report you deleted from the other thread so you can add it to this one.  By the time everyone who took pictures has contributed, this will be an epic roundup of events!  Lookin' at you ChiBears15...

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8507
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/07 17:43:28 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Indeed!  I missed the reports by CP and Bonk the first time around and am glad I went back through the thread - great reading!
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 884
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/08 17:25:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chickenplucker 2018/05/08 18:10:35
Forgot about the foreshadowing I got from a guy I met at the pub down the street.

Added this to the report...

Funny what a small world it is. I ended up at the bar talking to an ex-pat from the UK, and he struck up a conversation with me because of my Miami University hockey shirt.

Turns out he's a rep who has the territory of southwestern Ohio and Kentucky, and he was just in Blue Ash -- 20 minutes from my house -- that day.

Gets strange: He grew up a town over from where I spent two years as an Air Force brat in England.

Gets really strange: He went to Wright State University, same as myself, and we were just a year apart in age. After figuring out our class schedules we decided we had to have attended classes together. 

Anyway, after I told him why we were in Nashville and our itinerary, he had two pieces of advice: 1) At Five Daughters you were going to pay about $5 for a doughnut but it would be enormous and one of the best pastries on the planet, and 2) with the marathon running on Saturday and us planning downtown activities, "you're f----d". 

Dead right on both.
post edited by Bonk - 2018/05/08 20:01:08
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/08 20:32:32 (permalink)
Wow!  That is amazing and something you will never forget.  My husband and I had a couple of incidents close to that  but yours beats them.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/10 18:39:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby will_work_4_bbq 2018/05/10 20:34:56
Some random thoughts on our Nashville experience:

Hot Chicken
I simply cannot figure out the allure of Hot Chicken.  After sampling the offerings at Bolton's and 400 Degrees I found even the lowest heat levels at both places to be more of a distraction than an asset to the bird.  OTOH, just a small bite of the zero heat version from Hattie B's revealed some very tasty chicken; among the best I've tried anywhere.

One of the legends surrounding the origins of Hot Chicken indicates it was created as a lover's revenge.  This seems about right to me.  I understand how a jilted lover might want to ruin the gastrointestinal workings of a cheating mate, but why does a perfectly good piece of fried chicken need to suffer in the process?

The addition of that much cayenne pepper without any other discernible seasonings is pointless and mean spirited.  The only thing I can figure is, Hot Chicken has become a ridiculous test of manhood.  Kudos to ChiBears15 and Ralph Melton for giving it a try.  Once.  Now let's move on to friendlier food staples.

Meat and Three
This was the real reason I made the trip Nashville, and the reason I love Roadfood in general.  Give me a wide variety of tasty regional specialties and I'm a happy man.  The meats were pretty good overall, but those veggies and side dishes were the shining stars as far as I'm concerned.  Real Mashed Potatoes, Corn Pudding, Green Beans cooked within an inch of their existence, Mac & Cheese, Greens of all varieties, Stewed Tomatoes, Fried Green Tomatoes, BBQ Beans, Grits, Johnnie Cakes, Chow Chow...Lordy, do you even need the meat?

Arnold's was clearly the favorite of the standard Meat and Threes we visited, with Loveless coming in a close second.  Swett's was good, but lacked the star quality of the other two.  And while our outstanding Sunday farewell brunch at Monell's featured all the food elements of a M&3, it was more of a sit down dining experience and shouldn't be considered with the rest.

BBQ
After eating even a limited amount of 'Que in Nashville, it's no mystery to me why Memphis is more highly regarded for its smoked meats.  The only true BBQ experience we had was at the Music Row location of Martin's.  It was good stuff, but hardly top tier.  If Martin's had a Kansas City location, it wouldn't have even made the cut for last year's Crawl.

We got mixed reports from the folks who tried Peg Leg Porker. Decent meat, but uninspired sides.  I kinda regret not getting over to Edley's BBQ.  chickenplucker's assessment makes me think we might've missed out on that one.

The only other "BBQ" we had while in Nashville was the Ribs offered at various Meat and Threes, and those tended to be a disappointment.  The meat was fine and tasty, but none of it was legitimate Barbecue.

Biscuits
I was happy with all the biscuits we tried, but I may be a bit less discerning in that area than some others.  Throw some warm flaky carbs at me and I'm a happy man.  Biscuit Love, Loveless Cafe, and Monell's were the standouts.  All of them served some kind of house made jams or preserves to go along with the biscuits.

Burgers
While Nashville hasn't yet earned its props as a 'Que destination, they've laid a pretty good foundation as a serious Burger Town.  Our first night was spent with Ralph and Lori Melton at Dino's Bar.  Billed as Nashville's Oldest Dive Bar, they lived up to the claim on all counts and served an outstanding slab of ground beef to boot.  Dino's is dark and crowded and full of local character(s).  Lots of fun and one of highlights of the trip.  Our only disppointment is that more Roadfooders didn't get a chance to try this late night favorite.

Another winner was Pharmacy Burger.  Walking in, we were expecting to see the remnants and fixtures of an old fashioned drug store/soda fountain, but that wasn't the case.  There's definitely a vintage vibe there, but none of it relates to the pharmacies of old.  It's a huge place with indoor and outdoor seating, loud and boisterous, but not so much you can't have a conversation.  I shared a Stroganoff Burger with Ralph Melton, and had a bite or two of Mrs. Roadhouse's Falafel Burger.  Meanwhile, nagle passed around his oversized Wurst Sampler Platter for all to try.  Another draw for Pharmacy Burger is that it's located right across the street from the immensely popular Mas Tacos Por Favor.  Unfortunately, they were closed by the time we left.

Our other significant Burger experience was at Husk.  The massive double patties were slathered in Cheddar, but the robust beefy flavor dominated the sandwich.  There aren't many burgers out there worth $14, but this was definitely one of them.

We missed a few Burger opportunities.  Gabby's got solid reviews from some folks, and Bobbie's Dairy Dip earned a "Best in Nashville" award for its Burgers.  We probably missed the boat by not trying the Burgers at Elliston Place Soda Shop, although we had a fine Root Beer Float there.  We kept passing the Hermitage Diner as we made our way from our hotel into the city and it looked pretty cool; possibly another good source for a top notch Burger, but the timing never worked out for us.  We were never hungry when they were open, and they were never open when we were hungry.

Overall this was a dandy trip.  We sampled a good representation of Nashville's best Roadfood grub and shared it with great friends from all over the country and across the border (I guess great Roadfood trumps everything).  Looking forward to next year in Gary, Indiana!

Buddy
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/11 00:39:00 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Some random thoughts on our Nashville experience:

Hot Chicken
I simply cannot figure out the allure of Hot Chicken.  After sampling the offerings at Bolton's and 400 Degrees I found even the lowest heat levels at both places to be more of a distraction than an asset to the bird.  OTOH, just a small bite of the zero heat version from Hattie B's revealed some very tasty chicken; among the best I've tried anywhere.

One of the legends surrounding the origins of Hot Chicken indicates it was created as a lover's revenge.  This seems about right to me.  I understand how a jilted lover might want to ruin the gastrointestinal workings of a cheating mate, but why does a perfectly good piece of fried chicken need to suffer in the process?

The addition of that much cayenne pepper without any other discernible seasonings is pointless and mean spirited.  The only thing I can figure is, Hot Chicken has become a ridiculous test of manhood.  Kudos to ChiBears15 and Ralph Melton for giving it a try.  Once.  Now let's move on to friendlier food staples.

Meat and Three
This was the real reason I made the trip Nashville, and the reason I love Roadfood in general.  Give me a wide variety of tasty regional specialties and I'm a happy man.  The meats were pretty good overall, but those veggies and side dishes were the shining stars as far as I'm concerned.  Real Mashed Potatoes, Corn Pudding, Green Beans cooked within an inch of their existence, Mac & Cheese, Greens of all varieties, Stewed Tomatoes, Fried Green Tomatoes, BBQ Beans, Grits, Johnnie Cakes, Chow Chow...Lordy, do you even need the meat?

Arnold's was clearly the favorite of the standard Meat and Threes we visited, with Loveless coming in a close second.  Swett's was good, but lacked the star quality of the other two.  And while our outstanding Sunday farewell brunch at Monell's featured all the food elements of a M&3, it was more of a sit down dining experience and shouldn't be considered with the rest.

BBQ
After eating even a limited amount of 'Que in Nashville, it's no mystery to me why Memphis is more highly regarded for its smoked meats.  The only true BBQ experience we had was at the Music Row location of Martin's.  It was good stuff, but hardly top tier.  If Martin's had a Kansas City location, it wouldn't have even made the cut for last year's Crawl.

We got mixed reports from the folks who tried Peg Leg Porker. Decent meat, but uninspired sides.  I kinda regret not getting over to Edley's BBQ.  chickenplucker's assessment makes me think we might've missed out on that one.

The only other "BBQ" we had while in Nashville was the Ribs offered at various Meat and Threes, and those tended to be a disappointment.  The meat was fine and tasty, but none of it was legitimate Barbecue.

Biscuits
I was happy with all the biscuits we tried, but I may be a bit less discerning in that area than some others.  Throw some warm flaky carbs at me and I'm a happy man.  Biscuit Love, Loveless Cafe, and Monell's were the standouts.  All of them served some kind of house made jams or preserves to go along with the biscuits.

Burgers
While Nashville hasn't yet earned its props as a 'Que destination, they've laid a pretty good foundation as a serious Burger Town.  Our first night was spent with Ralph and Lori Melton at Dino's Bar.  Billed as Nashville's Oldest Dive Bar, they lived up to the claim on all counts and served an outstanding slab of ground beef to boot.  Dino's is dark and crowded and full of local character(s).  Lots of fun and one of highlights of the trip.  Our only disppointment is that more Roadfooders didn't get a chance to try this late night favorite.

Another winner was Pharmacy Burger.  Walking in, we were expecting to see the remnants and fixtures of an old fashioned drug store/soda fountain, but that wasn't the case.  There's definitely a vintage vibe there, but none of it relates to the pharmacies of old.  It's a huge place with indoor and outdoor seating, loud and boisterous, but not so much you can't have a conversation.  I shared a Stroganoff Burger with Ralph Melton, and had a bite or two of Mrs. Roadhouse's Falafel Burger.  Meanwhile, nagle passed around his oversized Wurst Sampler Platter for all to try.  Another draw for Pharmacy Burger is that it's located right across the street from the immensely popular Mas Tacos Por Favor.  Unfortunately, they were closed by the time we left.

Our other significant Burger experience was at Husk.  The massive double patties were slathered in Cheddar, but the robust beefy flavor dominated the sandwich.  There aren't many burgers out there worth $14, but this was definitely one of them.

We missed a few Burger opportunities.  Gabby's got solid reviews from some folks, and Bobbie's Dairy Dip earned a "Best in Nashville" award for its Burgers.  We probably missed the boat by not trying the Burgers at Elliston Place Soda Shop, although we had a fine Root Beer Float there.  We kept passing the Hermitage Diner as we made our way from our hotel into the city and it looked pretty cool; possibly another good source for a top notch Burger, but the timing never worked out for us.  We were never hungry when they were open, and they were never open when we were hungry.

Overall this was a dandy trip.  We sampled a good representation of Nashville's best Roadfood grub and shared it with great friends from all over the country and across the border (I guess great Roadfood trumps everything).  Looking forward to next year in Gary, Indiana!

Buddy

Jeff, I loved your summation. It made me regret even more that I didn't try Dino's, or the Pharmacy, or Hattie B's. I wonder what I was doing all that time. I also feel bad that we missed out on Edley's BBQ. I take the blame for that, because I really wanted to try what I thought would be the top two, Martin's and Peg Leg. I had read a couple of really good reviews for Edley's, but there just didn't seem time to fit in all three. I agree with your assessment of Martin's in relation to KC, and of course my sandwich(es) at Payne's completely overshadowed all the other bbq I had in Memphis and Nashville.

David
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/11 01:42:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2018/05/11 02:08:59
David,
You should have no regrets over missed opportunities.  When I look at your final list of all the places you visited during that week I feel like a shirker.  You were up early and kept going well into the evening.  Granted, you might've missed some stuff when you were napping during the afternoon, but I think you hit all the key places.

Besides, you were being held captive by the criminal Roadfood mastermind, ChiTownDiner, and his evil henchman, ChiBears15 when we dropped in on Dino's.  Plus, you'd already had a very full day.  I don't know where you would have put even half a Dino's Burger after your lunch(es) in Memphis, the snacks on your way into Nashville, and a full evening of dining, including a major dinner at Husk.  I'd say you did okay.

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm getting around to posting a recounting of our first couple of days on the road leading up to Nashville.  I think the photos and descriptions will have people thinking twice about automatically dismissing a Southern Illinois/Northern Kentucky BBQ Crawl.  It might even beat out Gary!

Buddy
will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 630
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/11 10:44:04 (permalink)
I also hate that I missed out on some of the stops....Dino's, Husk, and others.  But I also see it as a great excuse to go back to Nashville someday!  I am so enjoying all the reports and commentary; thanks so much to all of you for your great pictures, your wonderful reviews, and for sharing your insights.
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10357
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/11 13:36:51 (permalink)
Sounds like a wonderful trip! I enjoyed every aspect of the reports-the good and not so good. Thanks to all who shared their thoughts and pictures!
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/11 16:23:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/05/11 16:25:09
BuddyRoadhouse
David,
You should have no regrets over missed opportunities.  When I look at your final list of all the places you visited during that week I feel like a shirker.  You were up early and kept going well into the evening.  Granted, you might've missed some stuff when you were napping during the afternoon, but I think you hit all the key places.

Besides, you were being held captive by the criminal Roadfood mastermind, ChiTownDiner, and his evil henchman, ChiBears15 when we dropped in on Dino's.  Plus, you'd already had a very full day.  I don't know where you would have put even half a Dino's Burger after your lunch(es) in Memphis, the snacks on your way into Nashville, and a full evening of dining, including a major dinner at Husk.  I'd say you did okay.

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm getting around to posting a recounting of our first couple of days on the road leading up to Nashville.  I think the photos and descriptions will have people thinking twice about automatically dismissing a Southern Illinois/Northern Kentucky BBQ Crawl.  It might even beat out Gary!

Buddy

It’s true that the seven appetizers (plus the cornbread) and 20-something ounce bone-in ribeye at Husk put a damper on my appetite and I was only able to get two scoops of mediocre ice cream at Pied Piper afterwards. If it hadn’t been for the prospect of the 6:45 donut run the next morning I might have made it to Dino’s. Besides the criminal Roadfood masterminds I also had to worry about what the Sultan was thinking. Well, live and learn.

I’m not sure if anything will be able to stem the groundswell for Gary, except maybe Springfield. I’m actually hoping we’ll start thinking about the dates before too long. I can get (unpaid) time off, but there are lots of restrictions, and the earlier I apply the more likely I am to have it granted.

David
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/11 17:04:53 (permalink)
Davidsanders
...I’m actually hoping we’ll start thinking about the dates before too long. I can get (unpaid) time off, but there are lots of restrictions, and the earlier I apply the more likely I am to have it granted.

Regarding that, I'm thinking it might be better to choose the destination before the date next time around.  That way, as we narrow down the dates, we can look ahead to make sure there aren't any major events (marathons, etc.) going on that might impede travel and parking.

Buddy
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/11 18:52:04 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Davidsanders
...I’m actually hoping we’ll start thinking about the dates before too long. I can get (unpaid) time off, but there are lots of restrictions, and the earlier I apply the more likely I am to have it granted.

Regarding that, I'm thinking it might be better to choose the destination before the date next time around.  That way, as we narrow down the dates, we can look ahead to make sure there aren't any major events (marathons, etc.) going on that might impede travel and parking.

Buddy

Sounds like a plan.

schlotz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/11 19:30:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/05/11 22:14:45
Photobucket ate my pics!

Marcy Jo's was a hit...great freshly baked biscuits, cinnamon roll and stickee buns!
post edited by schlotz - 2018/05/12 09:37:33
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 448
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/11 19:49:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2018/05/12 09:55:33
Boyd, I can't see any of your photos.  Please pay photobucket $500 ASAP!
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 780
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/11 20:28:50 (permalink)
Great report and great trip! I've been to Nashville and am hoping to get to Memphis in the next couple years. This will be helpful if I do.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5051
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/11 22:16:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2018/05/12 09:55:54
ChiBears15

I can't see your photos and u paid up!!!
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/12 00:04:42 (permalink)
ChiBears15

It's only $400, if you pay by the year.
nagle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 287
Re: Biscuits, BBQ, Meat & 3, and Hot Chicken: The 2018 Nashville Crawl Trip Report 2018/05/12 00:10:24 (permalink)
ChiBears15

Is lack of payment why we have never actually pictures posted by one ChiBears15?
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5