Bock Beer.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: Bock Beer. 2004/02/24 08:38:24 (permalink)
GRAMPY: Loved the article about malt liquor! The whole 40 oz. thing makes sense now. Thanks!

POVERTY PETE: Loved your post on judging the malt liquor. I guess having the atmosphere just right is essential! Because I am a wine drinker, and a bottle of wine is usually shared with others, I assumed that one would share a 40 oz. bottle of malt liquor as well. The thing that threw me, though, was what type of glass to serve the malt liquor in. (I have glasses for both red and white wines.) I'll sleep better now, knowing that no special glass is required for malt liquor. But, does it matter which type of paper bag you use?
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2352
RE: Bock Beer. 2004/02/24 20:13:13 (permalink)
Sophisticates tell me that the most important detail is that the bag be long enough that the bottle neck doesn't stick out. That way, you see, the cops won't notice you're drinking in public. Perhaps they're supposed to think it's a big jug of Pepsi?
Grampy, your article was interesting. The only error I noticed was in stating that malt liquor has double the alcohol of regular beer. It's actually going to be more like 20-25% higher.
Ted Steak
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 60
RE: Bock Beer. 2004/02/24 20:44:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Do you get two billygoats to kick you if you drink dopplebock? How about if you try to drink that awful Sam Adams triple bock?

Whoa, don't knock the Triple Bock! That is one awesome, complex "beer"! Wonderful, wonderful stuff, I have many vintages in my cellar (amongst many Barleywines, Xmas ales & Imperial stouts)that I break out from time to time.
Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Bock Beer. 2004/02/24 20:51:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Sapp

quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Do you get two billygoats to kick you if you drink dopplebock? How about if you try to drink that awful Sam Adams triple bock?

Whoa, don't knock the Triple Bock! That is one awesome, complex "beer"! Wonderful, wonderful stuff, I have many vintages in my cellar (amongst many Barleywines, Xmas ales & Imperial stouts)that I break out from time to time.

Any Thomas Hardy's? Now, that is a treat.
Poverty Pete
RE: Bock Beer. 2004/02/24 21:00:04 (permalink)
There are many fine examples of high alcohol malt beverages in the world. In my estimate, SA triple bock doesn't happen to be of them.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6028
RE: Bock Beer. 2004/02/24 21:27:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by felix4067

quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Gentlemen,
I make no claims to understanding the process, the ingredients, or the timing, but the taste is quite satisfying to me.....Shiner's Boch, produced by the Shiner brewery in Shiner, Texas is my favorite "flavor". I am not a great consumer of beer,, but under the right circumstances I will down a few, several, or a bunch with the best of them.

I was introduced to Shiner Bock last spring while in Mississippi, upon the insistence of a friend from Texas. It is, without a doubt, the best Bock beer I've ever had.

If only I could get it in Michigan...

Felix, Call Rishi up at International Beverage on East Paris (Kentwood / Grand Rapids area)... Slight chance he might have it, if not he'll track it down for you! Good Luck!
Ralph Isbill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Bock Beer. 2004/02/24 23:49:38 (permalink)
In the late 40's and early 50's, I spent some years on board the USS Mississippi. Each spring we would find signs , all along East Main street--BROCK BEER--! Because of the great thirst built up defending Norfolk Va. Us white hats would drink lots of Bock Beer. At least as long as our pay lasted.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3616
RE: Bock Beer. 2004/02/25 00:02:54 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
The library is closing, so I gotta make it fast.
My favorite high-alcohol beer absolutely has to be Bell's Expedition Stout from Kalamazoo Brewing in Michigan. A close second is their Third Coast Old Ale. Next would be Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barley Wine.
Tomorrow night I ought to have more time. Thanks for all the great responses, dearfolks!
Unthirstily (At The Moment), Ort. Carlton in Slightly Warmer Athens, Georgia.
P. S. The first little purple crocus of Spring shoved its tiny head out last week. A chorus of little frog voices chirped along Hunnicutt's Branch t'other day. Can Spring be far behind?
felix4067
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5054
RE: Bock Beer. 2004/02/25 03:19:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVicFelix, Call Rishi up at International Beverage on East Paris (Kentwood / Grand Rapids area)... Slight chance he might have it, if not he'll track it down for you! Good Luck!

Nope...no one north of Tennessee has a license to import it. Neat thought, though.
eelranch
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Bock Beer. 2004/02/29 09:16:00 (permalink)
Bock beer was recently(within the past ten years)been reintroduced to Brasil. They had to produce an educational ad campaign for it because most people had no recollection of the stuff. Brahma Breweries used to brew a Bock Ale in the early 20th Century. Bock is now produced in a limited run during July and August (late winter by Brazilian reckoning). Some nights it gets down into the 50s, nearing bock's intended consumption range...
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15787
RE: Bock Beer. 2004/02/29 09:51:56 (permalink)
Here's a link to the Shiner web-site and the distribution map for their beer. It is working it's way North.
AL

http://www.shiner.com/distr.html
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3616
RE: Bock Beer. 2004/02/29 22:41:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by eelranch

Bock beer was recently(within the past ten years)been reintroduced to Brasil. They had to produce an educational ad campaign for it because most people had no recollection of the stuff. Brahma Breweries used to brew a Bock Ale in the early 20th Century. Bock is now produced in a limited run during July and August (late winter by Brazilian reckoning). Some nights it gets down into the 50s, nearing bock's intended consumption range...

Eelranch, My Beloved Friend,
Bring me some when you trudge your way north! I'll report back here on its relative merits.
By the way, folks, I'll recommend to Matt, the brewer at Copper Creek, that he defy tradition and make a Bock Ale this year. I'll go on some sort of fast if necessary to help drink the batch up.
Not In A Fogo, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
P. S. Dearfolk, this lucky guy is bringing his bride up to Georgia for a visit in July. What's she going to do when she tastes Brunswick stew? Chicken mull?? Mustard-based barbecue sauce??? - Maybe we'll have to start a new thread then....
kozel
  • Total Posts : 1191
RE: Bock Beer. 2005/02/23 12:17:25 (permalink)
Let's revive this topic for 2005. I remember when even the common breweries would make a spring time bock beer. Why'd they stop??
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13914
RE: Bock Beer. 2005/02/23 12:22:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Here's a link to the Shiner web-site and the distribution map for their beer. It is working it's way North.
AL

http://www.shiner.com/distr.html

Shiner Bock is now in Knoxville but my first opportunity to try this fine brew was last Friday night in Memphis on Beale Sreet with "The Mayor". I can see why it is his is favorite brew. Very tasty and just a bit on the sweet side with a neat bite.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
garykg6
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: Bock Beer. 2005/02/23 12:50:15 (permalink)
Shiner is a wonderful beer,as is previously mentioned Carlsburg 'elephant'...............PBS makes an Amber Bock,while not a world class brew,it is ok and available on draught at my local pub...The best beer I ever tried was 'priors double dark' but I don't know whether this is a real bock,I've drank thousands of cases but have yet to come up with a definitive label,perhaps another thousand cases will give me cosmic insight to this problem.....some many beers,so little time
brentk
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Bock Beer. 2005/02/23 13:04:44 (permalink)
I've come into this conversation a bit late, but late me say that I far prefer doppelbocks to bocks.

Here are some of my favorites:

Paulaner Salvator
Ayinger Celebrator
Weihenstephaner Korbinian
Tucher Bajuvator

And let's not forget an even better category, eisbocks:

Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock
Kulmbacher Eisbock

Sorry, but when I think of those beers, I just can't get very excited about Shiner Bock.

Also, Ort, I don't know if you are aware of this, but Dogwood closed down last fall. I think I have one last bottle of their Bock left. I know I have a few IPAs and Winter Ales as well. I heard some talk about a re-start but haven't heard anything definitive. A very nice brewery but they had some problems with quality control based on my experience with their brews.

Up in North Carolina, we have a number of good craft breweries that have sprung up over the last few years. If only we could get the 6% cap lifted as you did in Georgia, they could make some really excellent brews.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15787
RE: Bock Beer. 2005/02/23 13:39:18 (permalink)
Kim Chee
Allow me to jump in about the correct wrapping for the 40oz Malt bottles. It would be a bit snobbish to wrap the bottle in a bag proclaiming the retail source of the beverage, like Kroger or WalMart, or even a more humble source like Likker-Barn. No, the correct shield must be paper, brown, and large enough to wrap up to within an inch of the screw-top. The lack of identity on the bag proves to be a perfect balance of taste and origin to help all who see it know the social achievement of the drinker by sight. One must maintain his/her visible identity.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9091
RE: Bock Beer. 2005/02/23 14:31:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kozel

Let's revive this topic for 2005. I remember when even the common breweries would make a spring time bock beer. Why'd they stop??
Some brewers are now producing bocks year-round; I see Berghoff Bock, Huber Bock, Leinenkugel (the Big Butt Doppelbock, not the regular Leinie's Bock of years past), and Point pretty much all the time in the stores. Shiner Bock also appears to be a year-round beer and it's now available here in southern Wisconsin.

A new store recently opened not too far from my workplace and it has a very impressive selection of barley pops (regional (?) slang for beer); I should stop in and inquire about new seasonal brews. Some days I'm tempted to go there for lunch.
cindyloo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Bock Beer. 2005/02/23 14:50:18 (permalink)
I just saw Shiner Bock this noon at my local grocery store here in Iowa. I've never seen it here before and was quite surprised. I passed it by as it was $7.49 for a 6 pack of bottles, but I just might give it a try one of these days.

Cindy
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13914
RE: Bock Beer. 2005/02/23 14:58:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cindyloo

I just saw Shiner Bock this noon at my local grocery store here in Iowa. I've never seen it here before and was quite surprised. I passed it by as it was $7.49 for a 6 pack of bottles, but I just might give it a try one of these days.

Cindy

Cindy, here is a testimonial about Shiner Bock. Scroll down to the bottom and enjoy.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6658#106774

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
kozel
  • Total Posts : 1191
RE: Bock Beer. 2005/02/23 15:56:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Brad_Olson

quote:
Originally posted by kozel

Some brewers are now producing bocks year-round; I see Berghoff Bock, Huber Bock, Leinenkugel (the Big Butt Doppelbock, not the regular Leinie's Bock of years past), and Point pretty much all the time in the stores. Shiner Bock also appears to be a year-round beer and it's now available here in southern Wisconsin.

A new store recently opened not too far from my workplace and it has a very impressive selection of barley pops (regional (?) slang for beer); I should stop in and inquire about new seasonal brews. Some days I'm tempted to go there for lunch.

I'm aware of the 'year round' bocks, I'm very familiar with Shiner Bock even though I'm from Long Island. I'm just bemoaning the fact that the common breweries no longer make a seasonal bock beer. I remember when Schaefer, Schmidt's and other local non-micro brew companies would make it in the spring. It was something to look forward to and enjoy for a few weeks. I guess I don't get out enough.
brentk
Cheeseburger
RE: Bock Beer. 2005/02/23 16:14:57 (permalink)
Gee folks, there are a lot better bock beers out there than Shiner. Compared to the macro beers, Shiner is more flavorful but it really isn't nearly as flavorful as what a number of other craft brewers are producing.

Here is a link which might provide some alternatives to try:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/top_beers.php?id=32
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Bock Beer. 2005/02/23 16:32:17 (permalink)
I too got to spend a few hrs with Povety Pete hoist a few fine beers---it was indeed a pleasure---seems like a week long trip to various brew pubs and beer bars like the Flying Suacer, with Povety Pete3 would be a hell of a vacation!!!!! I'd sign up for THAT trip!

Povety Pete--I too had wondered about Sam Adams Triple Boch---but to be honest i think that Sam Adams is generally overrated anyway---still like Sierra Nevada brew---alot!!!!--esp Bigfoot Ale!!! and there is a very small brewery located in the same town--Chico Ca--that is basically two brothers and thier uncle---great beers --Butte Creek Brewery---i RARELY see them but keep an eye out for them and tell what you think---i know that they all worked for Sierra Nevada at one time or another and enjoy being a "little guy" in the brew business so i dont know if they will be available anywhere but locally most of the time.

and Mr Mayor---in this state-where all the beer that is bought cold is 3.2 and in cans--i drive to a liquor store to buy Shiner Bock--if for no other reason then it is in a bottle and i really cant stand the taste of aluminun beer! Turned a friend of mine on to Shiner when he was visiting here from Mass--he also likes beer in bottles and was drinking----aaarrrggg---Rollling Rock!!!--i cant for the life of me figure why i liked that at one time---yes i can,come to think of it!!!!--i was only 19!!!!! and dumb!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9091
RE: Bock Beer. 2005/02/23 16:55:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kozelI'm aware of the 'year round' bocks, I'm very familiar with Shiner Bock even though I'm from Long Island. I'm just bemoaning the fact that the common breweries no longer make a seasonal bock beer. I remember when Schaefer, Schmidt's and other local non-micro brew companies would make it in the spring. It was something to look forward to and enjoy for a few weeks. I guess I don't get out enough.
I see your point. If I had to guess I'd say the overriding reason is a financial one and that it's more time-consuming and costly for a larger streamlined operation to shut down, switch labels, allocate brew kettles, etc. when the market might not be strong enough to cover the costs involved. And the American macrobrew market is cutthroat.

To speculate a little more, it seems that most of the major and semi-major brewers discontinued their bock beers in the late '70s and early '80s. Poverty Pete can probably provide more insight here but my impression is that that was kind of a flat (ha ha) time in the American beer market. Micros hadn't taken off yet and the major brewers were already well in control of the market, which was made up primarily of "regular" (lager/pilsner/"light") beer sales. Plus the immigrants that had come over early in the century and provided a market for the more traditional beers were becoming fewer in number.

Just a few guesses for a Wednesday afternoon. I'm sure there are books and articles that have more definitive answers...

Brad
brentk
Cheeseburger
RE: Bock Beer. 2005/02/23 17:47:23 (permalink)
In honor of this thread I pulled out a bottle of Hofbrau Maibock from my cellar for my evening brew.

Glad I did because it was produced last year and even though it is at 7.2% ABV, it needed to be consumed as it is starting to develop a sour finish. Still very drinkable, but past its peak.

Here are my tasting notes (as updated) from a bottle of the Maibock I consumed last summer:

Appearance: Dark honey-colored body with a tinge of amber; decent head that leaves some nice lacing behind

Smell: Sweet, malty nose with honey and bready overtones

Taste: Caramel malt dominates but is nicely balanced by some light hops; ulitmately, the malt overcomes the bitterness until it is finally replaced by the warming alcohol (with age, that characteristic is no longer true as the the sour flavors challenge the malt in the finish)

Mouthfeel: nice, medium-bodied, incredibly rich, with just the right amount of carbonation

Drinkability: a very nice Maibock; very filling and a bit high in alcohol to be consumed in quantity, but full of flavor
QFan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 647
RE: Bock Beer. 2005/02/23 19:19:51 (permalink)
Have been following this thread with great interest. I used to be a prodigious beer consumer in my younger days and was lucky to be aided in my beer education by living near the Brickskellar in D.C. which regularly stocks over 500 brands of beer from around the world. BTW, the Brickskellar also has some fine RF type victuals including real Buffalo burgers, but that's a post for another time.
My question to all of you bock experts I've been reading is: Is the stuff that A-B puts out under the Amber Bock label really a true bock or just regular Budweiser swill with carmel coloring? Seems like every bar down here in Florida has it on tap, but I won't normally waste my beer allowance on mass market beers. So should I try Amber Bock in the absence of other readily available choices, or not? Help me out here.

QFan
Bonita Springs, FL
Poverty Pete
RE: Bock Beer. 2005/02/23 19:38:06 (permalink)
Amber Bock is actually a pretty good beer, but not what I would call a genuine bock. American-style bocks are basically dark lagers with less color. German bocks are considerably stronger, and don't use corn or rice adjuncts.
Whether or not to brew a bock is a marketing decision, having nothing to do with the brewhouse configuration. You would use the same kettle, fermenters, etc., with no downtime.
brentk
Cheeseburger
RE: Bock Beer. 2005/02/23 20:08:29 (permalink)
I tried Amber Bock once in an airport lounge. Certainly didn't have much of a bock profile to my taste buds. Very little caramel malt flavors and virtually no hop bitterness. Pretty bland overall.
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Bock Beer. 2005/02/24 04:07:48 (permalink)
Back then, someone thought it would be a good idea to get a keg of the local "bock" beer for the party celebrating the "graduation" of my college fraternity pledge class. Have had a bit of trouble with the concept of bock beer since then. I expect is was just a barrel of the usual stuff with some Karo dark syrup poured in. Along the lines of QFan's comments above.
RC51Mike
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Bock Beer. 2005/02/24 07:51:44 (permalink)
felix4067- Any recommendations for good local beer in the Grand Rapids area? I'm going to Grattan again this year and wasn't going to bother hauling the Dogfish Head, Victory and Sly Fox from this part of the country.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5