Boston to New Orleans and back through Memphis

Author
Mike from Boston
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2004/05/04 10:23:15 (permalink)

Boston to New Orleans and back through Memphis

Hi all -
My wife and I are going on a road trip from Boston to New Orleans at the end of the month and I'm determined to avoid chain restaurants and tourist traps. We're coming back through Memphis on a route possibly through Kentucky, Ohio, and PA.

I've been doing some research on the web, including here at Roadfood, and there's lots of info out there. But I'm looking for more!

What are your ideas for relatively quick and simple on-the-road meals for the trip? We plan to try to get to New Orleans in two days, so we won't have too much time to explore. We have a whole week in New Orleans, and I don't want to get too much into that here - I want to concentrate on eating along the way.

I'm interested in regional specialties (though I'm not too big on seafood) - especially barbecue!

I think the trip down will break out like this:
Day 1:
Lunch in NJ/PA or so
Dinner in western Virginia

Day 2:
Breakfast in western Virginia
Dinner in western Alabama/southeastern Mississippi (or NO if we're doing real good time)

On the way back, we're heading to Memphis - we'll probably have one dinner, one breakfast, and possibly one lunch before heading back out on the road. We may be going through Pittsburgh on the way home, which would put us on track to have dinner in northern Kentucky, breakfast in Ohio, and dinner in Pittsburgh.

This seems like a lot of info. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

7 Replies Related Threads

DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Boston to New Orleans and back through Memphis 2004/05/04 12:07:23 (permalink)
    If you are using I-81 when in VA, my wife and I travelled to Tennessee from our home in Woburn last year and stayed overnight in Staunton, and would very much recommend Mrs. Rowe's Restaurant(reviewed here by the Sterns).
    If you haven't plotted out your trip using mapping software, do so.
    There are many recommendations in Northern VA, west of DC that other members could give you, if they knew more about your route. (also which route used when travelling through CT.)
    Returned home last week from honeymoon in VA and NC-commuting to and from using I-95 in Southern CT and NYC was nothing but traffic between New Haven and GW bridge.
    Took us 6 hours to get from GW bridge to Woburn.
    DaveM
    Mike from Boston
    Junior Burger
    RE: Boston to New Orleans and back through Memphis 2004/05/04 12:46:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for that tip. On your suggestion, I'll clarify: Our route will probably just be what seems to be the most basic one:

Rt 90 to route 84
    Over to Rt 91 at Hartford, to Rt 95 at New Haven
    Rt 95 to Washington then over to Rt 66;
    66 to Rt 81.

Rt 81 to Chattanooga then over to Rt 59, which will take us all the way to New Orleans.

On our way out, we'll be on rt. 55; When we leave Memphis, I think we'll be on Rt 40 to Nashville, then rt. 65 to Louisville, then rt. 71 to Columbus, and Rt 70 to Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh to Boston, my thinking is that we'll stop for a cheesesteak in Philly, maybe?

Anyway, I'm definitely willing to take some small detours, if it's worthwhile... Thanks again!

lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11448
    RE: Boston to New Orleans and back through Memphis 2004/05/04 13:00:42 (permalink)
    Sorry, can't help you much on Roadfood between Bos and NOLA but lunch at Primanti Bros. in Pgh. is definately worth a small detour into the city's "Strip District". And although everyone has their favorite joint to eat in NOLA, go to Mother's on Poydras St. for a John G. With Debris. No seafood involved. It'll be the messiest, most glorious concoction of a sandwich that you ever ate!
    Next time you're in the North End, pop into the Daily Catch on Hanover St., get some fried calamari and a seafood fra diavolo and tell the chef, Mr. Lee I said HI!!!
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Boston to New Orleans and back through Memphis 2004/05/05 08:45:20 (permalink)
    Everyone seems to be agreed on the CT roadfood stops on your route.
    Check out the reviews for Rein's in Vernon, Uncle Willie's BBQ in Waterbury(?), and O'Rourke's..
    I will also add Wright's in Staunton,VA-off I-81.
    I still have the menu from Mrs. Rowe's around here somewhere.
    First time I had had real southern style stewed tomatoes
    DaveM
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15787
    RE: Boston to New Orleans and back through Memphis 2004/05/05 09:39:43 (permalink)
    Mike,
    Thanks for providing the links on your route, It sure is easier to think of nearby food with the roads in mind. You did leave off the I-40&75 connection in Eastern TN from where I-81 ends To Chattanooga. That is important for a snack-stop at the Mayfield Dairy Just off I-75 at exit 52 (Athens,TN) about 5 miles off the freeway on the east side . Mayfields makes some of the best regular (as opposed to soft-serve) ice cream we have ever enjoyed. It is a big dairy operation with a nice visitor's center/ ice cream parlor. Makes a great break from a long stretch of Interstate Driving.
    On your return trip, If you want a really great BBQ experience about 2 hours out of Memphis, Get off I-40 at Lexington TN and check-out the Hays Smokehouse. There is a whole series of raving reviews on a thread on this site called TN BBQ. A bunch of us went there in Feb and were very favorably impressed. The timing may be wrong on your schedule to do this, but if it is a thurs-fri- saturday, I would suggest that you really consider it. Whole Hog BBQ is not common in your part of the world, and is a great thing to watch and eat.
    When you come up to Louisville, depending again on your timing for meals. Head east towards Lexington on I-64. Get off at exit 28 (Simpsonville) and follow the signs to the Claudia Sanders Dinner House on U S Hiway 60. Check the review on this site for the place but I give it a super recommendation for a family lunch or dinner in a really "Bluegrass Horse Country" atmosphere. Chicken is the specialty and it is quite good, but the star of the show is/are the family style veggies. Southern Style Tomatoes, Mock Oysters (EggPlant), Corn Pudding,and A great Creamed Spinach are delivered to your table ..not one of them, but all 8 veggie side dishes. We also like the Chicken Livers. This is NOT a roadside hash-house, but the prices are reasonable for sure. You can then take one of the state roads up to I-71 to get back on course without backtracking to Louisville.
    I'll add some more after considering the I-59 rt a bit. But these will defineitly keep you happy.

ADD- Just off I-59 at exit 153 in Meridian,MS is Montana's BBQ/Seafood Buffet. Inexpensive, and pretty good too. We have visited the one in Pensecola several times. Here's a link to their Web-site for Map and Menu..
    http://montanas.com/meridian.htm
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Boston to New Orleans and back through Memphis 2004/05/05 12:05:27 (permalink)
    Ridgewood Barbecue off I-81 near Elizabethton, TN is a must stop... (near the Kingsport/Bristol/Johnson City area). Not to be missed... http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=446

Also, while I hate to disagree with a previous poster, If you're going to stop in Staunton, I would highly recommend that you go to Wright's Dairy-Rite instead of Mrs. Rowe's unless you are going specifically for breakfast. I liked Wright's a lot (for what it is), while I found Mrs. Rowe's to be mediocre at best...

Another place to consider on I-40 between Memphis & Nashville is the Beacon Light Tearoom near Centreville, TN. Great fried chicken & country ham...
    Mike from Boston
    Junior Burger
    RE: Boston to New Orleans and back through Memphis 2004/05/06 09:30:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for all of the suggestions so far! I'm writing them all down.

Ridgewood Barbecue does keep coming up - anyone have any idea of their hours? I'm trying to figure out what time I'll get in that area...

thanks again,
    Mike
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5