Breakfast in Tennessee

Author
Z66 Butch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
2005/11/23 10:44:11 (permalink)

Breakfast in Tennessee

Where would be a good place to eat breakfast between Jackson and Nashville? We are planning a trip there Dec. the 10th and will stay overnight in Jackson. We will be heading to Gainsboro on Sunday morning. Sometimes we eat at the hotel if their breakfast looks good (usually not) but since I have joined this forum I want to try a place that someone down there recommends. We will be traveling along I-40 and would be willing to go about 15-20 miles off of the interstate for a good breakfast. Remember it will be a SUNDAY morning so pick a place that would be open then.

Butch

15 Replies Related Threads

Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2352
    RE: Breakfast in Tennessee 2005/11/23 17:55:22 (permalink)
    That's easy. Loveless Cafe is off the McCrory exit before getting to Nashville. Go south. The road ends next door.
    Z66 Butch
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Breakfast in Tennessee 2005/11/25 10:39:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

That's easy. Loveless Cafe is off the McCrory exit before getting to Nashville. Go south. The road ends next door.

Thanks, could you tell me if you can usually get right in or is there a wait on Sunday mornings? I know some of the great places have a long wait for a Sunday breakfast. We could wait for a little while but not long as we are on our way to a Christmas dinner with our daughter.

Any other ideas down that way?

Butch
    Poverty Pete
    RE: Breakfast in Tennessee 2005/11/25 11:05:49 (permalink)
    I've never waited for a table there. You might ask Bushie, though. When he was visiting me last month, he went there by himself on a Saturday morning. The Pancake Pantry is in Nashville, but I can guarantee a long there. I like the eye-40, in Dickson, but not open Sunday.
    Hays smokehouse opens pretty early on the weekend, if you want to have bbq for breakfast.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Breakfast in Tennessee 2005/11/25 20:01:12 (permalink)
    I ate there on a Sunday morning, after Poverty decided he preferred the cold pizza.

I got there about 8:30, and I not only was seated immediately, I got my favorite table (up front by the picture window). HOWEVER, by the time I left, the line was out the door.

I think I got lucky, so I would recommend getting there as early as possible (they open at 7:00). It would fit right in to your schedule if y'all are early risers.

http://www.lovelesscafe.com/
    Bobs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    RE: Breakfast in Tennessee 2005/11/25 22:38:32 (permalink)
    A great place to eat breakfast in Jackson is Latham's on Hwy 45 North. The only problem is that it is closed on Sunday. Their breakfast is the old fashioned kind with thick bacon, country ham,and tenderloin. They have good biscuits and gravy and the prices are very reasonable. Anybody coming through Jackson in the morning needs to enjoy true Southern cooking. The barbecue is also good and if you cannot make it to Hay's in Lexington this will take care of your appetite.
    Poverty Pete
    RE: Breakfast in Tennessee 2005/11/26 00:15:59 (permalink)
    Bob, how far north of I-40 is this place?
    Bobs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    RE: Breakfast in Tennessee 2005/11/26 09:24:23 (permalink)
    Poverty Pete- Take exit 82B and go about 5 miles. It will be on the left. I will bet you breakfast that you will smell the meat smoking before you get there. It opens at 6am and breakfast goes to around 10am. After that lunch starts and you will enjoy that.
    yeahyeah101
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Breakfast in Tennessee 2005/12/08 11:48:09 (permalink)
    Word has gotten out about the new, improved Loveless. I went a couple weeks ago on a Sunday and there was an hour and a half wait. The breakfast is so good that I have waited up to 45 minutes, but not 1-1/2 hours. I think, as Bushie says, get there early, before the church crowd, and you should get right in.
    Z66 Butch
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Breakfast in Tennessee 2005/12/08 12:16:36 (permalink)
    We have plans for a group of 12 to eat there this Sunday at 7AM. My wife loves ham and will get the ham breakfast. I am leaning toward sausage gravy and biscuits and maybe some grits.

Butch
    yeahyeah101
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Breakfast in Tennessee 2005/12/08 12:33:06 (permalink)
    They have the best bacon I have ever had. I didn't know there was such as thing as "best" bacon until I ate theirs. They sell it in their shop, but that would be dangerous to me, as I am trying to lose a few lbs. If you want biscuits and gravy, you don't have to order it, just order a side of gravy with your meal, they keep the table full of biscuits and homemade preserves, like chips and salsa at a mexican place.
    Z66 Butch
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Breakfast in Tennessee 2005/12/08 13:43:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by yeahyeah101

They have the best bacon I have ever had. I didn't know there was such as thing as "best" bacon until I ate theirs. They sell it in their shop, but that would be dangerous to me, as I am trying to lose a few lbs. If you want biscuits and gravy, you don't have to order it, just order a side of gravy with your meal, they keep the table full of biscuits and homemade preserves, like chips and salsa at a mexican place.

Thanks for the information!

Butch
    ctfrasier
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 253
    RE: Breakfast in Tennessee 2005/12/11 00:23:55 (permalink)
    On your way back through try Hermitage Cafe in Nashville.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Breakfast in Tennessee 2005/12/11 07:02:57 (permalink)
    ct, where ya been?? Nice to hear from you.
    mtstroud
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Breakfast in Tennessee 2005/12/11 07:40:57 (permalink)
    Friends:

In something related to this topic, I plan to visit Stan's Restaurant off Interstate 65 in Columbia, Tenn., about 40 miles south of Nashville, later today. I plan to do a review of them and submit it later this week. Stan's is known especially for country ham, sausage, and other Southern breakfast delights at any time of day. So, stay tuned!
    Z66 Butch
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Breakfast in Tennessee 2005/12/12 22:34:41 (permalink)
    Well I ate at Loveless Sunday morning at 7AM. We were the first customers in the door. I was disappointed after all I have read and seen on TV about them. The place did have a charm to it and the staff was friendly but I was not impressed with most of the food. Let me start off with what I did like. I ordered the Country Ham breakfast Platter with scrambled eggs and home fries. The coffee was good. The eggs were the best that I have ever eaten! I do not know what made them so special but they were very good. The ham was salty, to much so for my taste and I add salt to most everything. I understand the different ways to cure ham and have had salt cured ham many times but this was just to salty. The potatoes, well lets just say that I wish I had ordered the hash brown cassorel......and it was my fault, I was thinking cottage fries and ordered the home fries. They were the little squares of deep fries potatoes and not what I wanted for breakfast. I wanted what we call around here "cottage Fries" they are more like a fried potato. Now to the biscuits, they were good but no where near the best or what I expected them to be. They seemed to have a little more baking soda in them than the normal scratch biscuit. I went back and took a look and Carol Fay was not there, somone else was cutting the bisquets in the window. I ask for and got some sorghum to put on them and they were good that way. I ask for sausage gravy instead of the red eye gravy that comes with the meal. It was OK but more like sausage flavored as there was very little sausage in the gravy.

All in all I am glad that I tried it, I doubt that I will go back but at least I get to say that I have ate at the Loveless Cafe!

We took a little cruise down the Natchez Trace after breakfast and it was beautiful. I then headed over to our daughters home near Cookeville Tennessee and spent the day with them. They all had to go to work on Monday so I headed out at 7:30AM and planned on finding a good place for breakfast on the trip home. I had ate at a little place in Celina a few times and wrote a review of it in another thread so I was looking for another place. I passed a couple of places that had a few trucks parked out front thinking I would wait till I got to Glasgow. I did not fine anything but FF in Glasgow so I kept driving. I get on the interstate at Cave City so I wanted something there. Well there were the usual fast food joints then I spotted a Jerry's, I know that it may be a chain but we do not have them up our way and I have not ate at a Jerry's for years. This one was right out of the past! It was 10:30 or so when I pulled in and there were only a couple of other people in there. I ordered a breakfast platter and it only took a couple of minutes to get it. It was at the most mediocre, just barely warm and not a lot of flavor. But the most surprising thing.......I must have been 30 miles up the interstate when it came to me..........they did not give me my hash browns with the breakfast! I know for sure that the menu said 2 sausage patties, 2 eggs, 2 biscuits and hash browns. Oh well it was just a bad weekend for me and potatoes!

Butch
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5