British Beer Company

Author
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2551
2016/05/02 16:28:05 (permalink)

British Beer Company

The former "Coral Seafood", in Worcester, Mass, after a short stint as "Urban Kitchen" has been re-opened as the British Beer Company. We went to check it out, and liked it. Worcester has not been especially fertile ground for midprice/casual chains, but I predict that this small chain will do well here. The professional decoration reminded me of the "British" "pub" at Epcot, and as a guy who works in construction, I can report that they spent a pile of money on the build out. The staff is well trained, and the food is good. The "brought in" deserts are popular, but IMO nothing special. www.britishbeer.com

Although the above is positive, I miss Coral. I am told that seafood is hard to do right, due to high food costs.  Coral tried to control costs by sending the owner's Dad to Boston each day to buy fresh fish right off the boat, first in a small truck, and then in a car with coolers in the back seat. The follow on Urban Kitchen never caught on, IMO, because it was too expensive for what it was,,,,,,,,,,,and Worcester restaurants compete hard.

BBC (as British Beer Co is known), knows what to do to compete, has far lower ingredient costs, and I expect that they will do well. 
post edited by tmiles - 2016/05/04 10:27:06

2 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10288
    Re: British Beer Company 2016/05/05 18:26:53 (permalink)
    The menus look good.
    tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2551
    Re: British Beer Company 2017/02/27 09:42:35 (permalink)
    Our local franchise that I reported on back in May, has burned through it's opening blast of business, and now seems to be doing less biz at new, higher prices. Worcester's sweet spot for meals is $15, and out of the many restaurants here, few stay for long without a lot of $15 items, and the ones that do serve up an excellent experience. BBC, IMO, is not an excellent experience that makes the new higher prices OK in this market.

This story, IMO, illustrates the "Restaurant Bubble" thread of the last few days. In this case, according to our server, the rent is going up "a lot", now that the build out credit is almost used up, and the building sold to a new developer. She is quietly looking for a new job, as she is getting less hours, and making less for the hours that she works.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5