Helpful ReplyBull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013)

Author
eruby
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1061
2014/01/22 11:16:30 (permalink)

Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013)

We really like Bull's Eye BBQ sauce and were always pleased the first ingredient was tomato puree, and that the label stated No High Fructose Corn Syrup.  In fact, there was no corn syrup in the ingredients list at all.

Last week we finished up our stock pile of sauce we bought on sale (free, or a quarter per bottle), and when I picked up a bottle at the store, I didn't see the 'No HFCS' on the label, and when I looked at the ingredients, the very first one was HFCS.

I called Kraft and the girls said they switched to HFCS last August.   I understand business is business, and they won't be getting mine.

MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 2010
Re:Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2014/01/22 12:44:13 (permalink)
eruby, I feel the same way.  I voiced a similar complaint recently when Hunt's switched to HFCS for most of their ketchup.  I go out of my way to buy products with no HFCS.

On the good news front, the Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce produced in the USA switched back to cane sugar from HFCS, even though it's still a different recipe from the genuine L&P made in Worcestershire County UK.  The UK recipe is superior and superb.

post edited by MellowRoast - 2014/01/22 12:51:22
bartl
  • Total Posts : 1542
Re:Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2014/01/23 22:43:53 (permalink)
I stick with Dinosaur; the lowest in sugar of any that isn't labeled low-calorie or sugar free. And it tastes pretty good, too. Anybody have a decent recipe for home-made?

Bart
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10365
Re:Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2014/01/24 01:35:42 (permalink)
Mellow-agree!
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2686
Re:Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/13 17:13:30 (permalink)
Biz radio yesterday said some companies are quietly switching back to sugar, because to brag admits that your old stuff was crap. Even WalMart customers are reading labels. (and I don't understand the digs against "WalMart customers", maybe because I am one). In most products, there is a sugar (no hfcs) option. The guy said that if you can save 25 cents per unit on ads by spending 2 or 3 cents extra on sugar, it can be a good idea. 
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1477
Re:Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/13 17:40:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tmiles 2018/10/15 19:55:15
I don't know about companies doing it"quietly", but some are making a point of mentioning that they don't have HFCS. I've been using the Heinz pitmaster regional sauces lately (no HFCS) and I've been really impressed. They have done a good job on these sauces. The Memphis style, Kansas City Style and Kentucky Bourbon BBQ are great! I haven't found a meat they aren't good on yet! I have a bottle of the Texas Bold to try next and I'm looking forward to it.
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 347
Re:Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/13 23:17:43 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
I don't know about companies doing it"quietly", but some are making a point of mentioning that they don't have HFCS. I've been using the Heinz pitmaster regional sauces lately (no HFCS) and I've been really impressed. They have done a good job on these sauces. The Memphis style, Kansas City Style and Kentucky Bourbon BBQ are great! I haven't found a meat they aren't good on yet! I have a bottle of the Texas Bold to try next and I'm looking forward to it.

My favorite is their Carolina Mustard Style sauce, and I've been meaning to pick up a bottle of the Kentucky Bourbon Style sauce.
post edited by Ghaz - 2018/10/13 23:28:28
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re:Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/15 19:55:00 (permalink)
I've been buying those Heinz regional sauces too. Less now that the bulk of grilling season is over. We grill all winter, weather permitting, but not as much.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22973
Re:Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/16 11:57:47 (permalink)
I have no idea what Roadhouse uses and I don't care. It's so good they could use cat litter and I wouldn't switch.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/16 11:57:47 (permalink)
I have no idea what Roadhouse uses and I don't care. It's so good they could use cat litter and I wouldn't switch.
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
Re:Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/16 12:25:08 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

If you're talking about the sauce found HERE, then it uses sugar (plus pineapple and raisins  )
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6307
Re:Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/16 14:17:54 (permalink)
Our fans love our sauces so much, you just can't keep 'em quiet.

Yes, we use regular sugar along with pineapple and raisins (wipe that puzzled expression off your emoticon face until you've tried it) as primary sweeteners in our three (Original Recipe; Hot, Sweet & Tangy; and Texas Tango)  tomato based sauces.  Our vinegar based Southern Sunset variety, a tribute to Southern BBQ, uses peach juice (a nod to Georgia 'Que) and apricots (just cuz they play nice with peach juice) in addition to a minimal amount of sugar.

In the name of full disclosure, and because I'm a mensch (a "stand-up guy" for those unfamiliar), we do use a teeny-tiny, itsy-bitsy, eentsy-weentsy amount of regular (yes, there is a difference) corn syrup in our tomato based products.  It was never a part of our original homemade recipe, but when we got into mass production, we found it worked well to bind together the other ingredients.  Our Southern Sunset variety contains no corn syrup of any kind.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Buddy

P.S. Thanks for the shout out Michael.  Hope all is well with you and Lisa.

B.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/16 19:32:03 (permalink)
Everything is fine. But I'm getting low on Hot Sweet and Tangy. Going to have to make another run to Carfagna's Market. Such a hassle. It's almost 15 minutes away.
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
Re:Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/16 19:58:37 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Yes, we use regular sugar along with pineapple and raisins (wipe that puzzled expression off your emoticon face until you've tried it)

It's more of a 'huh, that's different' response.  Most wouldn't expect to find pineapple in a non-Hawaiian BBQ sauce nor raisins in any BBQ sauce.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re:Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/17 01:55:26 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
Everything is fine. But I'm getting low on Hot Sweet and Tangy. Going to have to make another run to Carfagna's Market. Such a hassle. It's almost 15 minutes away.

Don't think of it as a 15 minute hassle; think of it as an excuse to get out and make a stop at Gahanna Grill and Graeter's Ice Cream.  Maybe even pick up the Sauce before going to Gahanna Grill and bring it in with you.  Roadhouse Hot, Sweet & Tangy will work wonders on almost any Burger they serve.  Sadly, the Beanie Burger is beyond redemption.

Ghaz
BuddyRoadhouse
Yes, we use regular sugar along with pineapple and raisins (wipe that puzzled expression off your emoticon face until you've tried it)

It's more of a 'huh, that's different' response.  Most wouldn't expect to find pineapple in a non-Hawaiian BBQ sauce nor raisins in any BBQ sauce.

Some background:

Back in 1980 I didn't know nuthin' about real Barbecue.  I knew I liked Ribs and Chicken* smothered in BBQ Sauce.  If the meat had a smoky flavor to it, all the better, but I never made the connection between Low & Slow Wood Smoking and the actual smoke flavor.  Then I married a woman from Kansas City and my education began.

Back in the early days of our marriage, she would occasionally fly back to KC to visit her family, leaving me at home to take care of the cats and our apartment.  When she returned from one of those trips she had a Brisket sandwich that had been packed in her carry-on bag by her mother, in case she got hungry on the one hour flight.  She offered it to me, and being a 20-something year old man with a robust metabolism, I snarfed it down post haste.

The Brisket was fine, but the Sauce was what grabbed my attention.  It was unlike anything I'd ever had before; sweet, tangy, immensely satisfying and a great compliment to the meat.  I had to have the recipe and my Mother-In-Law was happy to oblige.

The first couple of times I made it, I followed her recipe to the letter and was very happy with the result.  But, as one does when making a recipe over and over again, I started to wonder if I could make the Sauce even better.  So I started looking at ingredient lists on other sauces I admired, including Steak Sauces, Worcestershire Sauce, other BBQ Sauces, and even, as you mention, Hawaiian and other exotic sauces.  Those ingredient lists led me to try many variations on the original recipe given to me by my MIL.  Some things worked better than others, and after a number of years we had a final version.

At that point I was just making home batches for family and friends with no thought of creating a retail product.  That didn't happen for another ten years when I was making slightly larger batches for use in a friend's restaurant.  Customers responded very positively and offered to pay attractive sums for bottles to take home.  It was at that point we thought maybe we've got a winner on our hands and started doing the research to create a wildly successful international Barbecue Sauce Company that would make us very rich.

26 years later I'm still waiting for that to happen.  But we've got a decent customer base who support us enough so it's at least a self sustaining hobby that pays its bills and gives me (literally) a few extra bucks at the end of the year to cover Holiday activities.

Since those early days, I've learned never to turn up my nose at trying a new ingredient, now matter how odd it may seem.  You never know how it might make something better until you give it a try.

Buddy

*For the record Ribs and Chicken were all we had in 1980 Chicago when it came to 'Que.  No Brisket, no Pulled Pork, and while we had Hot Links, they were a totally different item than Texas style Smoked Sausage.
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2018/10/17 02:00:36
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/17 08:50:24 (permalink)
Ah, Buddy, the Beanie Burger is one of those things you have to try once. The fact is, a regular burger at the Gahanna Grill is a very, very good burger. It's the same patty, but you don't have to have all the "stuff" they put on the main attraction. As to Graeters, well, we aren't fans. For ice cream we go to Velvet about 30 miles away when they're open from spring into October, and buy their ice cream in the supermarkets when they're closed.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5654
Re:Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/17 09:01:28 (permalink)
Tell me the boutique distributor out this-a-way again. The store I succeeded in getting it stocked at got bought by a chain. :(
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re:Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/17 13:08:09 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
Ah, Buddy, the Beanie Burger is one of those things you have to try once. The fact is, a regular burger at the Gahanna Grill is a very, very good burger. It's the same patty, but you don't have to have all the "stuff" they put on the main attraction.

Michael, we are saying the exact same thing, although approaching it from different angles.  As I've said in the past, I have great admiration for the Burger itself at Gahannna Grill, it's just "all the 'stuff'" they pile onto a Beanie Burger that puts me off.  I have high hopes and reasonable confidence we will some day share a table, a stiff drink, and a pair of those Burgers as we sit and solve the world's problems.  Lisa can come too, if only to make sure the volume level doesn't reach a point where we disturb the other customers.

1bbqboy
Tell me the boutique distributor out this-a-way again. The store I succeeded in getting it stocked at got bought by a chain. :(

I'm afraid we no longer have a local distributor in the Pacific Northwest.  We do have a national distributor who focuses on sales to internet hot sauce services and small gourmet stores across the country.  If you give me something more specific than "Rogue Valley" to work with, I'll see of I can find a store near you.

Buddy
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re:Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/17 13:14:44 (permalink)
Rogue Valley is pretty specific, but only to us, I guess. :)
We have 2 coops, in Ashland and Medford, my favorite store, ShopNKart in Ashland, and Market of Choice, in several cool places in Orygun.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8665
Re: Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/17 15:01:15 (permalink)
eruby
Last week we finished up our stock pile of sauce we bought on sale (free, or a quarter per bottle), and when I picked up a bottle at the store, I didn't see the 'No HFCS' on the label, and when I looked at the ingredients, the very first one was HFCS.

We have some single-serving tubs of Bull's-Eye Original in the condiment tray here at work so out of curiosity I checked the ingredients.  "Tomato puree" is listed first and there's no mention of HFCS, so I wonder if Kraft returned to the previous recipe.  Of course, the other possibility is that we have some seriously outdated sauce.
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/18 10:18:19 (permalink)
I know that we try to discourage spammers who sign on one or two times to flog a product.......but.........
I, for one, would consider it a favor, not spam. if long time poster Buddy would post a link to his BBQ sauce company.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/18 10:43:34 (permalink)
Buddy's sauces are so good, they even make Spam edible!
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/18 18:01:01 (permalink)
tmiles,
Thanks for the cover from the Spam Police.  Unfortunately, we don't have a website to link to.  I know, I'm backward, shortsighted, and living in the past, but that's the way it is.  My wife started a Facebook page for us, which I rarely visit.  Not a lot of new information there, but you can commiserate with fellow Roadhouse fans looking for our products in under served areas.

Typing "Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce" into Google nets these results and others:
HotSauce.com
Amazon.com
BBQSuperStars.com
TheCarolinaSauceCo.com

Also, if you own a business, and have a Federal Tax ID# you may be able to order from our mail order distributor.  They only sell business to business, and not to the general public.  If you qualify, and are interested, you can PM me and I'll give you further information.

1bb1boy,
Thanks for the kind words, but why are people always hatin' on Spam?  The entire population of Hawaii would starve without it.

Buddy
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/18 19:00:25 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
tmiles,
Thanks for the cover from the Spam Police.  Unfortunately, we don't have a website to link to.  I know, I'm backward, shortsighted, and living in the past, but that's the way it is.  My wife started a Facebook page for us, which I rarely visit.  Not a lot of new information there, but you can commiserate with fellow Roadhouse fans looking for our products in under served areas.

Typing "Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce" into Google nets these results and others:
HotSauce.com
Amazon.com
BBQSuperStars.com
TheCarolinaSauceCo.com

Also, if you own a business, and have a Federal Tax ID# you may be able to order from our mail order distributor.  They only sell business to business, and not to the general public.  If you qualify, and are interested, you can PM me and I'll give you further information.

1bb1boy,
Thanks for the kind words, but why are people always hatin' on Spam?  The entire population of Hawaii would starve without it.

Buddy

And a few on here!
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1477
Re: Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce Now Has HFCS (Eff 8/2013) 2018/10/18 19:18:49 (permalink)
Buddy, you need to open an Amazon storefront. I'd be willing to bet your business would really take off.
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5