Helpful ReplyCalamari sandwich in U.S.?

Author
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1125
2018/07/04 17:15:57 (permalink)

Calamari sandwich in U.S.?

I just returned from a trip to Spain, where in Madrid I tasted calamari sandwiches for the first time. They consist of fried rings of calamari on a hard roll with no sauce. Best accompanied by a beer, these are among the most common "street food" of Madrid and typically cost just 3 euros or less (about $3.50). 

These sandwiches were absolutely wonderful and I want to know if anyone has found something similar here in the U.S.

Thanks.
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1360
Re: Calamari sandwich in U.S.? 2018/07/04 17:26:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby danimal15 2018/07/04 17:37:31
Try as I may, I cannot recall ever seeing a calamari sandwich anywhere in the US. Sounds like a business opportunity!
danimal15
  • Total Posts : 1125
Re: Calamari sandwich in U.S.? 2018/07/04 17:39:45 (permalink)
Perhaps it is a business opportunity. The problem is finding good supplies of cheap, quality calamari. I never see calamari for less than $12 on U.S. menus. The price in Spain is so cheap!

The most famous of the Madrid calamari stands is near Plaza Mayor, and is called "La Ideal." The TripAdvisor link is below:

https://www.tripadvisor.c...s-La_Ideal-Madrid.html
kozel
  • Total Posts : 1178
Re: Calamari sandwich in U.S.? 2018/07/05 09:08:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby danimal15 2018/07/06 22:48:36
Vincent's Clam Bar in Carle Place New York has a fried calamari parm hero on the menu and I've had it there as far back as the early 80's. I don't remember it having cheese on it but it did come with Vincent's sauce (mild, medium or HOT) on it and was one of my favorite lunch sandwiches when I was working in the area. Without the cheese and sauce it might be close to what you are looking for. Personally, I'd have it with the hot sauce.
http://www.vincentsclambar.com/menu/
The 'Original Vincent's' on Mott St in Manhattan does not offer it. There was another in Howard Beach that appears now as closed. I'm not sure how the different places were or are related but the Carle Place one is making the sauce or retail in a jar. It was always a favorite place to go for our family.

Searching for a Calamari Po Boy gets more hits and I'm sure that's more unlike what you are looking for. There's a pizza chain here in the mid-Atlantic that has a following called Ledo's Pizza that offers it.

kozel
  • Total Posts : 1178
Re: Calamari sandwich in U.S.? 2018/07/05 09:42:16 (permalink)
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 792
Re: Calamari sandwich in U.S.? 2018/07/05 13:08:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby danimal15 2018/07/06 22:48:42
Sounds tasty..love calamari...any preparation.  I thought it was the state sandwich in Rhode Island? 
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10423
Re: Calamari sandwich in U.S.? 2018/07/05 13:26:10 (permalink)
Wintahaba
Sounds tasty..love calamari...any preparation.  I thought it was the state sandwich in Rhode Island? 

I've never seen a calamari sandwich here- although our local Rhode Island only Dave's Market place will occasionally have a calamari pizza in their hot food section.
However it is the official state appetizer keeping in mind it has to be served "Rhode Island style"
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22896
Re: Calamari sandwich in U.S.? 2018/07/05 14:17:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2018/07/07 06:43:54

"... it has to be served "Rhode Island style"

Oh,you mean tiny and insignificant.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Calamari sandwich in U.S.? 2018/07/05 14:36:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2018/07/07 06:44:10
Michael Hoffman

Yeah... that's why  Nutmeggers by the thousands clog up our beaches every summer...
Keep that attitude up and one million paisan's will ensure that you'll sleep with the fishes...

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Calamari sandwich in U.S.? 2018/07/05 14:57:40 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman

Yeah... that's why  Nutmeggers by the thousands clog up our beaches every summer...
Keep that attitude up and one million paisan's will ensure that you'll sleep with the fishes...

I remember going to Misquamicut a few years ago. I tnink that was in Rhode Island somewhere. Lots of drunks. I couldn't tell where they were from because of their funny accents.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Calamari sandwich in U.S.? 2018/07/05 15:23:39 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman

I remember going to Misquamicut a few years ago. I tnink that was in Rhode Island somewhere. Lots of drunks. I couldn't tell where they were from because of their funny accents.

Oh..I agree...they do have funny accents... although I can't decide who has the funnier accent- Rhode Island or Connecticut.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Calamari sandwich in U.S.? 2018/07/05 20:24:13 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman

Oh..I agree...they do have funny accents... although I can't decide who has the funnier accent- Rhode Island or Connecticut.

Well, for most of Connecticut the "accent" is what is known as General American.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Calamari sandwich in U.S.? 2018/07/06 07:26:06 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman

Well, for most of Connecticut the "accent" is what is known as General American.

I think those in Iowa, Nebraska, the entire southwest, rocky mountain states and the West Coast would vehemently disagree with you.
edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2417
Re: Calamari sandwich in U.S.? 2018/07/06 07:48:10 (permalink)
I haven't seen Calamari around here for a while now.   ... But in the past, when I saw boxes of frozen squid (Calamari) for sale, it was marked 'fish bait' by the store.     I'm sure that deterred lot of Customers from buying it.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Calamari sandwich in U.S.? 2018/07/06 10:13:35 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman

I think those in Iowa, Nebraska, the entire southwest, rocky mountain states and the West Coast would vehemently disagree with you.

Then they would be wrong.
Heartburn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
Re: Calamari sandwich in U.S.? 2018/07/06 10:38:22 (permalink)
Michael
In the 1950's Misquamicut was similar to Saven Rock in New Haven except no rides.
We had a small hot dog stand on the beach so you can see how old I am.
Being from Connecticut I remember Jimmy's at Savin Rock and how good it was.
Nothing can compare to Connecticut/ Rhode Island Clam Chowder or Lobster rolls.
Nebraska is a great state and has some great regional food but not the great seafood of the east coast

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Calamari sandwich in U.S.? 2018/07/06 10:41:11 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman

Then they would be wrong.

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9312
Re: Calamari sandwich in U.S.? 2018/07/06 10:43:33 (permalink)
Obviously, Joisy has the real American
accent!!
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5