Cape Cod?

Author
alexmoss
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2007/08/13 17:14:21 (permalink)

Cape Cod?

We're heading back to the Cape this week, just curious to see what others think of some of our favorite spots there, as well as the latest on what to stay away from...but I can't find a single restaurant listed from the area. I searched in Massachusetts, then in various Cape Cod towns, can't find any results. Am I missing something obvious? ("There are no decent places on the Cape" is a tempting but untrue possibility....)

Thanks.

20 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4778
    RE: Cape Cod? 2007/08/13 17:31:56 (permalink)
    Try The Bite for fried clams if you get to Martha's Vineyard.

BTW: Welcome to RF.

alexmoss
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Cape Cod? 2007/08/13 17:42:24 (permalink)
    Thanks, though I doubt we'll get over to their. We'll be camping at Nickerson State Park (Brewster), mostly getting around by bike, and getting to the ferry would be more than our kids (not to mention us!) will want to handle. I'll keep this for another year, thanks.

There's a raging debate over Cobie's vs. Arnold's vs. Moby Dick's vs. Mac's, etc. etc. -- sure, they all have their tourist trap aspects, but they're all pretty good and all worthy of the kind of attention I see here....so I'm surprised not to see any debate on them here.

And thanks for the welcome, I've been a quiet viewer for a year or two, really enjoy the site when I'm going somewhere I've never been. The trick is that if there's nothing about the places I do know, it undermines my confidence in the feedback on the places I don't know. So, here's hoping someone has something to say about the Cape.

Thanks for all.
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 647
    RE: Cape Cod? 2007/08/13 18:26:18 (permalink)
    Alexmass, this is a resend of a previous post of mine from last yr. It's in P-town which may not be close enough. BTW, welcome to RF. This is a great site with some terrific folks and way helpful information:

The Lobster Pot right down on the harbor in the middle of town. Very chaotic w/ people coming and going continuously, but they are expert at handling the crowds. IMHO, the best clam chowder and fresh clam bellies in all of the Cape!

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    cecif
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1414
    RE: Cape Cod? 2007/08/13 18:45:18 (permalink)
    Welcom to RF, Alex!

NYT *just* did Dining on Cape Cod...
    FYI:
    http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/travel/12Choice.html?ex=1344744000&en=29d4255e6845473f&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink
    [sorry long link but it is their 'permalink'...]
    ccf
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Cape Cod? 2007/08/13 18:52:55 (permalink)
    Hi - we go every year and have posted the following. This years report has been delayed for a number of reasons, as stated, and not stated. Ebay business taking up much of my time and been nursing the husband who has pneumonia. Sigh...BUT - two noteworthy new places not mentioned in last years report are noted here:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21244

and last years:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13844&SearchTerms=cape

I think you are better off searching the forums - there are alot more suggestions there from people than the roadfood restaurant listings. I hope this helps, and I look forward to YOUR report when you get back! We may be headed up for a few days in Sept, if all goes well! Sue

TwoJays
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 200
    RE: Cape Cod? 2007/08/14 09:14:28 (permalink)
    We went to Villa Roma in West Harwich last year & loved it. Small place, great food.

http://www.villaromarestaurant.com/

John
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Cape Cod? 2007/08/14 09:25:04 (permalink)
    This was years ago, but the Land Ho in Orleans and Poit's for fried clams just over in Eastham. I was an instructor for a juvenile program called Homeward Bound based right there at Nickerson. We used to cut a hole in the ice at Cliff Pond and do a "morning dip" before we did our run every morning. Yuck.
    susanll
    • Total Posts : 1077
    RE: Cape Cod? 2007/08/14 09:30:42 (permalink)
    This was our favorite spot on our trip to the Cape.

http://www.woodshole.com/landfall/index.htm
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Cape Cod? 2007/08/14 10:04:33 (permalink)
    I haven't been to Cobies, but do know most of the other usual suspects mentioned and IMHO the best clam shack food in the area is at Sir Cricket just toward Orleans Center off the rotary. No charm, no tourist trappings, just a busy take-out with a couple of tables and a soda machine. There's a picnic table or two outside, but it's in a tired strip mall so don't go for scenery, just for clams (and scallops, and oysters...).

My other choice for clams is on the wharf in P-town. Sure that's touristy, but you can't beat the combo of salt air and fried clams. The (mostly) old gals who keep the orders hopping are amazing to watch!

It's been a few years, but for "fine" dining we used to like Finely Jp's on 6 just into Wellfleet (haven't been since they re-built, to tell you how long it's been) and the Bookstore on Wellfleet Harbor (with the caveat that it suffers from the Cape's transient help issues and can vary, but it can be surprisingly good).

Don't miss the chocolates at The Chocolate Sparrow in Eastham. Cranberry Cordials are a special gift item in our family.
    chickenwingking
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: Cape Cod? 2007/08/14 14:01:26 (permalink)
    Don't miss Arnold's in Orleans if you're in the area.
    chickenwingking
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: Cape Cod? 2007/08/20 15:26:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashphalt

I haven't been to Cobies, but do know most of the other usual suspects mentioned and IMHO the best clam shack food in the area is at Sir Cricket just toward Orleans Center off the rotary. No charm, no tourist trappings, just a busy take-out with a couple of tables and a soda machine. There's a picnic table or two outside, but it's in a tired strip mall so don't go for scenery, just for clams (and scallops, and oysters...).

My other choice for clams is on the wharf in P-town. Sure that's touristy, but you can't beat the combo of salt air and fried clams. The (mostly) old gals who keep the orders hopping are amazing to watch!

It's been a few years, but for "fine" dining we used to like Finely Jp's on 6 just into Wellfleet (haven't been since they re-built, to tell you how long it's been) and the Bookstore on Wellfleet Harbor (with the caveat that it suffers from the Cape's transient help issues and can vary, but it can be surprisingly good).

Don't miss the chocolates at The Chocolate Sparrow in Eastham. Cranberry Cordials are a special gift item in our family.

Sir Cricket is definitely excellent. Its next door to a fish market that will pack up fish for you on ice for you to bring home. I always looked forward to this, it was like bringing a little bit of your vacation home with you for another dinner or two. They'll also steam lobsters for you.
    tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2790
    RE: Cape Cod? 2017/04/29 11:55:55 (permalink)
    I'm bringing back this old thread to report what I heard on biz radio this week......

An owner of a well known Cape Cod restaurant called in to talk about the labor shortage. Advertising all winter got him ZERO applications for $12 hr jobs. (The un documented Polish college kids that have worked there for years must not be coming........my take......he didn't mention it.) Had I been doing the interview, I'd have asked,"Have you tried $14?". For years, many Cape Cod places have paid a big bonus for staying through Labor Day, but college kids want Labor Day weekend off, and most of our high school kids are back in school by then, so they know that they will not qualify for the bonus.  

He plans to open only 2 of his five windows this summer, and let the lines take care of them selves. Folks can choose to come or not,,,,,,,,,,he is done being worried.

He still likes the biz. He is looking for a little place that he can run with his wife, and available family members.......no hired help. (again, my take, so are a lot of other guys, that is why they are hard to find)

He says that last summer was bad, but Cape Cod eateries would need "thousands" of new workers to even offer even last summers service. 

I live within a few hours of this world class vacation resort area, but I will not be going.

If you were on vacation, and could get fried clams at this place for $20, and wait in line for an hour, would you go across the street to get similar clams at $22, with a shorter line? 

When I was a travel agent, customers would bitch about crappy airlines, but when I offered Midwest Express (2x2 seating in DC-9s) for about $10 more, few paid.  Spirit Airlines, which is well known for a terrible experience at rock bottom prices, is still around, and very profitable. The last I heard, Midwest, 2 or 3 owners later, now packs 'em in too.
    post edited by tmiles - 2017/04/29 15:45:07
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11900
    RE: Cape Cod? 2017/04/29 12:18:35 (permalink)
    I lived in Boston for 14 years and only went to the Cape once in the summer.  Not fun.  But it's great in the fall!
    Ketteract
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Cape Cod? 2017/04/29 16:47:30 (permalink)
    lleechef
    I lived in Boston for 14 years and only went to the Cape once in the summer.  Not fun.  But it's great in the fall!

I believe it. I got my first real look at the ocean in Westerly, RI ... in April, when there was nobody around.  Just me and the mighty Atlantic splashing up against the rocks under a cloudy sky.  It was sublime, and I would never want to go when there was a ton of people.

Also, around that same time, I was driving near the Cape area, and on some highway - can't remember if it was 395 or 495 - I saw a permanent sign advising of stopped traffic.  There didn't happen to be any, so I figured the sign applied seasonally, but it gave me chills.
    post edited by Ketteract - 2017/04/29 16:48:52
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    RE: Cape Cod? 2017/04/29 20:25:22 (permalink)
    What should be a 45 min. drive from Boston turns into a FOUR HOUR DRIVE in the summer! 
    rudebarb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Cape Cod? 2017/04/29 21:49:38 (permalink)
    As a third year medical student I was assigned to a 6 week rotation at Hyannis Hospital with 2 other students. By the end of our stay we were referring to our environs as Highanus.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23237
    RE: Cape Cod? 2017/04/29 23:21:07 (permalink)
    rudebarb
    As a third year medical student I was assigned to a 6 week rotation at Hyannis Hospital with 2 other students. By the end of our stay we were referring to our environs as Highanus.

Intelligence always comes to the fore.
    rudebarb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Cape Cod? 2017/04/30 08:36:33 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    rudebarb

Intelligence always comes to the fore.

Of course. As ably demonstrated by our new Chief Executive.
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    RE: Cape Cod? 2017/04/30 11:44:03 (permalink)
    rudebarb

It's fitting!!! 
    manofschwa
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Cape Cod? 2017/05/06 22:38:35 (permalink)
    For breakfast I recommend Keltic Kitchen in West Warmouth.  I've only been there once, but my choice of an omelet, diced potatoes, Irish beans and soda bread more than filled me with quite tasty food.

post edited by manofschwa - 2017/05/06 22:45:14
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5