Cascade of Rude

Author
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2550
2017/04/18 09:01:13 (permalink)

Cascade of Rude

It is in our DNA to watch what other people do, and to copy if it seems to be a good idea.
A few years ago, I noticed that a few people at self serve gas pumps would leave their car at the pump, when they went inside to buy a Coke (tm), or use the rest room. Why move to a parking space?? Your time is valuable!!!! Rude?? So what.......you don't know these other people, and other people do it, so why not you???

Yesterday I was at a local station with 4 pump lanes, each with 2 sides, and all pumps were blocked, mostly with unattended cars. Each line had several impatient drivers waiting for a pump. The parking area was almost empty. It was no big deal to me, because I wasn't on "empty", and I just went to another station later in the day,,,,,,,,,,,,I just thought it was funny.

5 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5319
    Re: Cascade of Rude 2017/04/18 09:09:36 (permalink)
    Only Californians do that here where self service is illegal.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4789
    Re: Cascade of Rude 2017/04/18 10:07:12 (permalink)
    On the other end of this spectrum is the Cascade of Courtesy I always see in NC.

After waiting at an overly long traffic light it turns green and traffic begins to crawl through the intersection. Inevitably, someone arrives at a driveway wanting to pull in and someone else ahead of me will slam on their brakes and wave them in. Meanwhile the sensor at the light notes there is no oncoming traffic and the light turns to red. So out of courtesy to one (who was not waiting in line) dozens behind the "courteous" driver are held up for at least one more cycle of the stop light.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6446
    Re: Cascade of Rude 2017/04/18 12:03:15 (permalink)
    Regional courtesy can, at times, be dangerous for the traveler.

Oddly, here in Texas, pedestrians in front of stores ALWAYS are given the right-of-way, whether they are in a crosswalk or not.  After a decade of this 'courtesy' I don't even look anymore.

As a result, nearly every time I visit NoVa, I am nearly struck on my first few visits to Giant or Wegman's!
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11358
    Re: Cascade of Rude 2017/04/18 12:04:39 (permalink)
    Sometimes they're going in to pay?
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4789
    Re: Cascade of Rude 2017/04/18 12:27:28 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    Regional courtesy can, at times, be dangerous for the traveler.

Oddly, here in Texas, pedestrians in front of stores ALWAYS are given the right-of-way, whether they are in a crosswalk or not.  After a decade of this 'courtesy' I don't even look anymore.

As a result, nearly every time I visit NoVa, I am nearly struck on my first few visits to Giant or Wegman's!

You should have seen the time a driver decided to stop and let a truck enter on a divided highway in Raleigh. I was cruising behind him at 50 and didn't figure it out until almost too late.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5