Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age?

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
cementhead
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/07/17 20:38:41 (permalink)
leethebard
All you folks who can eat REAL pizza, instead of chain pizza, and therefore know what real pizza tastes like, count yourself blessed. I would have to denounce my 100% Italian heritage if I ever darkened the door of a chain. Yes, I am blessed with living in the Nj, Ny, Conn, area and have tons of pizza places to choose from. I take a sadness from this thread that there are people who have to use pizza and the likes of "pizza hut" in the same breath. If you ever come to NJ, let me know...we can do a pizza tour of DOZENS of superb pizzerias in my town alone...think...never having to eat imitation pizza again!!!!!!!!!!

Several years ago I did some work on the Spring Lake CC golf course and had to go to Home Depot which I believe was in Brick. I remember commenting on the number of pizza shops on the route there. You sure have lots of choices! Believe it or not we also have some decent pizza here in Lancaster Co, just not quite as many choices.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7736
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/07/18 07:59:49 (permalink)
cementhead
leethebard
All you folks who can eat REAL pizza, instead of chain pizza, and therefore know what real pizza tastes like, count yourself blessed. I would have to denounce my 100% Italian heritage if I ever darkened the door of a chain. Yes, I am blessed with living in the Nj, Ny, Conn, area and have tons of pizza places to choose from. I take a sadness from this thread that there are people who have to use pizza and the likes of "pizza hut" in the same breath. If you ever come to NJ, let me know...we can do a pizza tour of DOZENS of superb pizzerias in my town alone...think...never having to eat imitation pizza again!!!!!!!!!!

Several years ago I did some work on the Spring Lake CC golf course and had to go to Home Depot which I believe was in Brick. I remember commenting on the number of pizza shops on the route there. You sure have lots of choices! Believe it or not we also have some decent pizza here in Lancaster Co, just not quite as many choices.

We go to Amish country every few months and noticed you have shops all over too. We always eat local food, so I can't comment on how good the pizza is, but I've heard good things about the place on the main drag in strausburg. down aways from the railroad....any good?
cementhead
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/07/18 21:42:57 (permalink)
leethebard
cementhead
leethebard

We go to Amish country every few months and noticed you have shops all over too. We always eat local food, so I can't comment on how good the pizza is, but I've heard good things about the place on the main drag in strausburg. down aways from the railroad....any good?

Never ate there. We live in the northeast part of the county and probably get pizza more often in Berks Co than Lancaster Co. My favorite right now is probably Mangia in Mohnton. They have a wood fired brick oven and regular gas oven.
michaelcarraher
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 169
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/07/24 13:05:47 (permalink)
As noted, before chains there were mom and pop pizza places - still where you get the best pizza.

Dominos started in Ypsilanti targeting the college market (Eastern Michigan).  The second store was East Lansing (Michigan State).  They opened up while I was in school and pretty much decimated the delivery business for the local pizza joints.  Prime time was 11pm.  Cars, sometimes multiple cars, would hit each dorm on campus - filled with pizza boxes.  Study break time.  Coke and pizza to keep going.  It's a formula Microsoft still uses to keep code writers crunching.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5779
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/07/25 09:28:15 (permalink)
This thread has me thinking back to my first pizza.  Like other "firsts", objectively, it probably wasn't much, but it sure was wonderful at the time.

It was circa 1953 in Donaldson's Crossroads, PA.  My father told me that we were going to try something different, something 5 year old me had never heard of:  pizza.  

Near the Starlight Twin Drive-in Theater there was a stand-alone white concrete block drive up - kinda like an old school Dairy Queen.  They served square slices off a sheet pizza for $0.10 @.  For a nickel extra they'd add pepperoni.

That type pizza is rare today, but I still enjoy it every time I'm within a reasonable drive of Mario's Pizza & Subs in Arlington, VA.

Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 322
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/07/25 13:08:31 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
That type pizza is rare today, but I still enjoy it every time I'm within a reasonable drive of Mario's Pizza & Subs in Arlington, VA.

Jim, Every time you mention Mario's I think about going there for lunch, it's only about a mile from where I work. I used to eat there a lot, but in recent years I started cutting out pizza/subs/burgers for lunch. Think I need to get back for a slice of pizza or one of Mario's steak subs..........I think "Lefty" is still working there!
http://www.mariospizzava.com/
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/07/26 10:09:42 (permalink)
My most recent visit to Mario's was May of last year.  Lefty and Joe were still working even though they are well into their 70's. 

Even though it may sound strange, try a slice with BBQ.

Eat on the premises while your order is fresh-made & hot. 
This 'style' pizza must be consumed immediately for maximum enjoyment.

------------------------
Edit: 
BTW, Mario's was started in 1957, the same year the USSR launched Sputnik. 
So, it is indeed 'Space Age' pizza!
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/07/26 10:14:43
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7736
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/07/28 07:18:49 (permalink)
michaelcarraher
As noted, before chains there were mom and pop pizza places - still where you get the best pizza.

Dominos started in Ypsilanti targeting the college market (Eastern Michigan).  The second store was East Lansing (Michigan State).  They opened up while I was in school and pretty much decimated the delivery business for the local pizza joints.  Prime time was 11pm.  Cars, sometimes multiple cars, would hit each dorm on campus - filled with pizza boxes.  Study break time.  Coke and pizza to keep going.  It's a formula Microsoft still uses to keep code writers crunching.

This type of pie is very common on the east coast. Thick square slices are sicilian pies and every pizzeria here sells it....a personal favorite of mine...come east and select from thousands of places!!!!
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/07/28 09:04:49 (permalink)
I just started a thread over in the Pizza Forum regarding pizza 'styles'.

This site, cited on that thread - together with some videos cadged from it - is very informative regarding the history of pizza, including the 'chain style' which was designed to travel well for delivery.

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/07/30 19:16:04 (permalink)
Davebassman
MetroplexJim

Jim, Every time you mention Mario's I think about going there for lunch, it's only about a mile from where I work. I used to eat there a lot, but in recent years I started cutting out pizza/subs/burgers for lunch. Think I need to get back for a slice of pizza or one of Mario's steak subs..........I think "Lefty" is still working there!
http://www.mariospizzava.com/

After searching the web, it seems that Mario's is "Ohio Valley-style pizza" (which seems to be similar to and perhaps derived from "Old Forge-style").  The prime exemplar of this style originated with Mario DiCarlo of Steubenville, OH (Greater Pittsburgh Metro Area).

Recently, the DiCarlo family has been branching out, including of all places, greater Phoenix (Litchfield Park)!

This is 'the stuff':

Mario's uses the same 'technique'; the cheese and toppings are put on to order, then baked on top of the pre-baked squares for a few minutes.

BTW:  one of the recurrent comments about the 'Ohio Valley Style' is that it doesn't travel well.

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/08/03 12:12:31
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/08/03 08:30:47 (permalink)
michaelcarraher

My family moved to Ypsilanti in 1967, around the corner from what was the first, and at the time, only Domino's. If there were other pizza places in town we were not aware of them. Domino's defined pizza for me for a long time, but my only previous exposure was Chef Boy-Ar-Dee, so it was a step up.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2016 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5