Hot!Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 712
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2006/03/20 16:43:41 (permalink)
Big Boy's, Perkins, Long John Silver's, Red Lobster, I-Hop, Pondurosa, Ryan's, and KFC!!
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2006/03/21 06:45:50 (permalink)
Here in the Northeast 2 come to mind no make that 3. The 99's when the Doe family owned it was good food and drink at a fair value. Friendly's at one time had a great burger served on toast it was one of their signature items that was very good. Papa Gino's at one time had a great Pizza then they sold out to some coporate giant and some coporate ladder climber decided to change product to increase the bottom line and thats where they headded to the bottom. Moral to the story, If it ain't broke dont't fix it. Chow Jim
Fred Ferris
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2006/04/04 16:00:54 (permalink)
I have to agree with an earlier poster re: Pizza Hut...It's hard to believe as bad as it is now, but this used to be one of my very favorite pizza (the thin crust)...craker-like crust, real pieces of tomato in the sauce...and excellent cheese...creating a very unique, distinct flavor. Now, it's practically inedible.

Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2006/04/05 13:31:36 (permalink)
I shouldn't admit this, but I can remember when Pizza Hut was a sit-down restaurant, with cocktails and tablecloths and silverware and pizza you could eat and not be sick for two days.

I can't think of one that hasn't gone downhill, but the one that disappoints me is Boston Chicken/Market. Before the Golden Arches took them over the food was actually fresh. The creamed spinach tasted like creamed spinach, not like corn starch. They made terrific pot pies you could take home and cook. Some restaurants actually diverged from the program and made their own chicken soup from the spare parts. But McD's put an end to all that.
JuanKerr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2006/04/22 01:27:05 (permalink)
As someone who has spent most of his life in Europe, but lived in the US for a couple of years in the early 80s, for another couple in the early 90s and have now been back here for a year, maybe I can offer a perspective on this.

Obviously all this is tinged with personal preference, unreliable memory (especially 90-92 as I was old enough to drink by then) and the difference in restaurants even locally, as was pointed out above. But I really haven't seen a huge change in most places, especially at the low end, with one or two exceptions.

Hardee's, in my perception, has actually improved greatly. I don't see much of a difference in McDs or BK, and while the choice at Wendys has definitely declined, the quality seems to be the same (pretty poor in all three cases).

The big exception, as noted by several others, is Pizza Hut. While never being what I'd consider 'pizza' (of any variety, american or european), it was serious treat to my virgin palette in 1982 and still very good to my somewhat more jaded one in 1992. It's now just cardboard, based on places in WV, PA, NJ, FL and OH in the last year. It's so bad that I'm convinced Dominos, previously the devil incarnate of 2am eats, has actually improved since even 1999 (when I snuck over for a few months and it was still awful).

I hate to say it, but Pizza Hut in the UK, France and Belgium is actually better than over here now. And it's really not good there, either, by any means.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 712
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2006/04/22 14:08:19 (permalink)
I like the Pan Pizza at pizza hut, but the rest of it isn't good.

Dominos sucks, not many of them left in this area, Dominos were much better in the early 1970's.

My two favortes are local, Pete's Patio in Niles which it a Italian place, that has been in operation for almost 50 years and owned and operated by the orignal owner the whole period.

The other is Milano's Pizza, it is also located in Niles, Michigan, it has been in business for over 35 years and it also is still owned and operated by the orginal owner.
Phildelmar
  • Total Posts : 1201
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2006/04/22 18:53:29 (permalink)
What happened to Pizzaria Uno?
They all seem to have closed in my area
Were they headed downhill?
Hadn't visited one in some time
MandalayVA
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 368
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2006/04/23 15:56:04 (permalink)
I used to really like Domino's (when I lived in Kentucky and had no access to decent independent pizzerias), but the last few times I've ordered they've been really overdone. I tried a couple different locations with the same results. I used to deliver for them in the early 90s and I know they cook on a conveyor belt, but still they never came out as brown as they do now.
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2006/06/06 20:50:57 (permalink)
Bob Evans, they took Spaghetti which I specifically came there to eat, also took off corn and salad
ham-b-guy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2006/08/10 21:21:03 (permalink)
Rally's. I say within a year, all the restaurants and nearly all the restaurants in and outside the city of Detroit closed up. Some of them are now run by independant restaurants and some are ran by subway. Oh and checker's have purchased back a few of the Rally's that did close. One not too far from my house opened up as checkers.
And the few Rally's that stilled remained opened are now taking up the name Checkers. So they may make a comeback around metro Detroit, At least the ones not ruined by nasty Wendy's
rpc717
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2006/09/26 23:38:36 (permalink)
Definitely Dominos - in the early '80s, they had really good pizza! Same with Godfather's.

My biggest complaint is with Outback Steakhouse. In the late '80s, we used to eat at the original restaurants in Tampa and they were really, really awesome. The last few I've eaten at have been very pedestrian.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 867
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2006/09/29 11:23:38 (permalink)
Wendy's has gone far downhill, imo. I really like their burgers, they're always hot. But their fries are awful. Always cold when you get home and I live less than 5 minutes away! If you get lucky and they're hot, the potatoes are tough. This is the case in whatever location I go to.

If I'm gonna get a fast food burger and fries, I'll go to Burger King or Jack In The Box.
Joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2006/09/29 11:44:54 (permalink)
I have to agree with the Pizza hut & Domino's somments. Never did Domino's much, buyt the last I had it it was not very tasty--kind of liek frozen pizza. Pizza Hut used toi be a big fav for me--used to drive miles to get to one (there were none in my area). Now it's just like every other chain, pre manufactured pizza. Sad because it used to be very good.

I will stick with my locals!
JerseyWarren
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Flagged as Spam (1)
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/08 11:23:37 (permalink)
I think one chain that has really gone downhill is Subway. I used to like Subway when I moved from the Northeast to California because good subs were hard to find out there. However, in recent years, their sub rolls have gotten softer and lack character. And the  amount of cold cuts they put on their Italian BMT are just plain skimpy.

Fortunately, I have discovered a much better sub chain that I like a lot — Jersey Mikes. Jersey Mike's has better, more authentically Italian rolls, and they use more cold cuts and some authentic Italian cold cuts on their Italian cold cut sub like capicola and prosciuttini, that Subway does not.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5783
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/08 11:35:22 (permalink)
Arby's since the early '80's when they ditched the real roast beef for whatever pre-digested drek they are serving today.

Popeye's since 1990 when they stopped making their 'spicy' chicken (and red beans, and onion rings) really spicy.
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 780
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/08 12:46:08 (permalink)
The last time I had Five Guys I thought it wasn't as good as when it was limited chain. Seems to happen a lot. I'll agree on Hardees. The stores used to be much cleaner and the roast beef was great. I went into one for a sweet tea not too long ago and it was disgusting. I didn't even bother. 

I think our taste buds change too. I loved York Steak House as a kid in the late 70s/early 80s. A few years ago some friends and I visited the last one standing, in Columbus, OH. Yikes. It was still the same food, same atmosphere and the same quality but I thought it was so bland. 

Some places are stepping up their game. I love Sheetz and Wawa and the quality seems to rise each time I go in. 
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10667
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/08 12:46:56 (permalink)
California Pizza Chicken.

I refuse to go back.  They used to have wonderful salads.  I used to buy them frequently because they're walking distance from home.  NO MORE!

The very last time which will always be the last time I called after coming home to find our normal order not normal.

Instead of chunks of turkey, chicken, ham... they minced it.  They also changed the dressing in the Asian Chicken Salad to a completely different tasting dressing.

I wrote corporate and received a very nice reply.  "Now with the minced meat there is meat in every fork full".  "Yes, we did change the dressing".

No, I'm not going back, even with your discount coupon.  Buying food for a discount doesn't make it taste better.

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 2138
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/08 14:22:27 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Arby's since the early '80's when they ditched the real roast beef for whatever pre-digested drek they are serving today.

Ditto.  Arby's was a favorite of mine while in college.  I could get a burger or pizza at 5 dozen places in town, but Arby's had something really different and good.  Can't say it's good anymore.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7748
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/08 14:44:30 (permalink)
JerseyWarren
I think one chain that has really gone downhill is Subway. I used to like Subway when I moved from the Northeast to California because good subs were hard to find out there. However, in recent years, their sub rolls have gotten softer and lack character. And the  amount of cold cuts they put on their Italian BMT are just plain skimpy.

Fortunately, I have discovered a much better sub chain that I like a lot — Jersey Mikes. Jersey Mike's has better, more authentically Italian rolls, and they use more cold cuts and some authentic Italian cold cuts on their Italian cold cut sub like capicola and prosciuttini, that Subway does not.

Jersey Mike's originated right here in Point Pleasant, NJ. They are still great, at least at the original....100% better than Subway ,Blimpie,etc As you said, great ingredients and plenty of them!!!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7748
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/08 14:45:24 (permalink)
WarToad
MetroplexJim

Ditto.  Arby's was a favorite of mine while in college.  I could get a burger or pizza at 5 dozen places in town, but Arby's had something really different and good.  Can't say it's good anymore.

Arby's still gets my vote for the WORST fast food chain......fake roast beef....REALLY!!!
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9891
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/08 15:00:03 (permalink)
Jersey Mike's is opening near our house. Looking forward to trying it!
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4006
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/08 15:12:39 (permalink)
Ann,

The latest incarnation of Suburpia in Waukesha is awful. They were bragging about eliminating the MSG. The subs are not very good without it.

Jim
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/08 16:17:18 (permalink)
Jim- we had a sub from the Suburpia on Bluemond about a month ago-still good. Is this no msg thing very new?
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4006
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/08 16:19:56 (permalink)
Been a couple months. The shop in Waukesha has different owners.
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1132
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/09 14:02:31 (permalink)
I stay away from chains.Once in awhile i get something from Whataburger,but most of my stuff is either eat at home,or get chicken soup from ChicFila. Once in a great while I might by a burger at MCDonald's. But  you're right,quality goes down as prices go up.I did eat at McAllister's Deli in Live Oak and thought it was good.
I'm diabetic so try to watch what I eat,plus  it costs to much to eat out. When I added up how much I was spending eating out at lunch everyday with a couple of the guys, I wanted to kick myself, since I could have saved at least 2,000 dollars into the bank. Don't do this one anymore.Only get something if I  need to run errands at lunch time.
And yes,I used to like Subway ,but its either the bread or the meats that have changed. Once in awhile I go to Schlotsky's a Texas chain that started up the road from me in Austin,years ago.
Heartbreaksoup
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 606
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/20 14:04:35 (permalink)
I'd argue that the quality goes down as the chains insist on maintaining the low, low price of their value meals.  Those cheap burgers at Wendy's don't even look like food anymore on the TV commercials.  I've only eaten at Wendy's once in the last six years, and that was to try their godawful barbecue to see whether it was as bad as I thought it'd be (it was), but I can't imagine trying to eat one of those burgers.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 961
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/20 14:55:37 (permalink)
ann peeples
Jersey Mike's is opening near our house. Looking forward to trying it!

If you like it/don't hate it, be sure to sign up for their birthday club. Sub, chips and drink on your birthday.
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/20 15:33:31 (permalink)
Thanks, eruby. I am partial to a couple of local places, but I have heard it is pretty good! And will sign up for birthday club-unless I absolutely hate it...even then, I have a dog..
Root-Beer Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 751
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/20 18:28:57 (permalink)
My kids and I visited a new Jersey Mike's that opened up in our little burg. Not a bad sandwich, at all. Lots of meat and condiments, but the girl had a really heavy hand with the oil and vinegar. Much heavier than any other place I'd get a sub. It wasn't bad, though and the price was good.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15787
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/22 06:21:44 (permalink)
Despite claims to the contrary by most corporate owners, a lot of the real quality (or lack of it) comes with the local franchise owner/operators . We have NO Hardee's on this side of Louisville, since the franchisee went belly-up and closed a dozen stores.
  Despite being within sight od the Colonel's Headquarters in L-ville, the KFC quality in So Indiana is really terrible.
One improvement to the FF offerings, We have a second Culver's now within a reasonable drive. Same franchise as the original store nearby in Corydon. The owner takes seriously the Culver's quality control...and I am glad he does. They make a good BPT and the Custard is the only example of that product available in this area.

Wish we has a J-I-B and El Pollo Loco in this area.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2016 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5