Hot!Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
gostillerz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 225
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/31 00:14:16 (permalink)
Burger King. In the 90's I loved their Big King and chicken tenders. KFC used to be more flavorful, its missing black pepper and is just greasy, bland and tiny But "their" Nashville hot chicken is really good.

Pizza Hut. If they would go back and do everything they did in the 80's, I'd be happy. But no, they decided that killing quality for the core products is cool as long as they can come up with MEGA XXXTREME chicken nuggetz n ketchup pizza to boost sales.

Wendy's is there too. I used to be okay paying a bit more because they were better. But now they price themselves into fast casual without fast casual quality.

Little Caesar's. The round is better than a frozen pizza and good for kids, Their square and italian cheesy bread more than make up for it, and are probably better than the rest of the pizza chains. I used to hate Domino's with a passion, but the last few times i ordered from them, it's been really good.

Super long story short, all of the chains need to make their product taste how it was that made them popular.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5001
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/31 08:01:25 (permalink)
The only thing I ever get at chains is the Dollar menu. 
Otherwise, independent places for me.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3940
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/31 08:17:44 (permalink)
gostillerz - There's nothing like that Beaver Falls Chi Chi's anymore.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 21349
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/31 11:17:33 (permalink)
Hey, they don't have Kentucky Fried Chicken in Beaver Falls anymore. But they have Giuseppi's. Don't get the veal parmesan.
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10230
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/31 11:38:43 (permalink)
There's a McDonald's in Beaver Falls that does not seem to care if you eat Oram's donuts and read your Post-Gazette while you pretend to sip their horrible coffee!
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10230
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/31 11:42:22 (permalink)
JRPfeff

You talking about the Chi Chi's that killed 4 people with a hepatitis outbreak?  That was at the Beaver Valley Mall in Monaca.  It went so far downhill that it no longer exists!
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3940
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/31 12:51:29 (permalink)
lleechef
JRPfeff

You talking about the Chi Chi's that killed 4 people with a hepatitis outbreak?  That was at the Beaver Valley Mall in Monaca.  It went so far downhill that it no longer exists!

In terms that the rest of America can understand, I'm talking about the Chi Chi's at a mall in Pittsburgh.
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/31 13:56:08 (permalink)
mayor al
... We have a second Culver's now within a reasonable drive. Same franchise as the original store nearby in Corydon. The owner takes seriously the Culver's quality control...and I am glad he does. They make a good BPT and the Custard is the only example of that product available in this area.

I agree with you, Mayor Al. I try to hit a Culver's whenever we're travelling in the Midwest. I ate at one when we were in Louisville a few years ago. Shake Shack and Freddy's Frozen Custard are two other chains I'd put in the same category as Culver's in terms of putting out both a quality burger and genuine frozen custard, which isn't that easy to find in most areas.

As for a chain that's gone down hill, I'd say that Jake's Wayback Burgers went downhill when they expanded from a very small northern Delaware chain to something bigger. They also changed their name from Jake's Burgers to Wayback Burgers. The newer Wayback Burgers locations feel like any other fast-food restaurant. The first few in Delaware, especially the original location, feel more like an old-school burger joint. The quality of the burgers isn't what it was back in those early days either. I'd still take them over the mass chains, but they aren't in the same class as the three above places.

post edited by phlmaestro - 2015/10/31 13:59:16
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5001
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/10/31 16:03:51 (permalink)
We have a Jake's Wayback Burgers here, but I've never been compelled to go. Just the name implies that they''re more interested in atmosphere than food. And I know they don't have a Dollar menu. :)
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2015/11/02 11:35:28 (permalink)
1bbqboy
We have a Jake's Wayback Burgers here, but I've never been compelled to go. Just the name implies that they''re more interested in atmosphere than food. And I know they don't have a Dollar menu. :)

The original location in Delaware, which probably still goes by Jake's Hamburgers, is worth a visit. There is a newer Wayback just five minutes from me, but I generally drive a little further to go to the only Freddy's Frozen Custard in my region.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2016 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5