Charlie's Pool Room - Grandma Fencz's Secret Sauce

Author
yuppicide
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 429
2016/04/13 15:44:20 (permalink)

Charlie's Pool Room - Grandma Fencz's Secret Sauce

I've only been to Charlie's Pool Room twice I believe. I liked what I ate, but I really can't remember what the sauce tasted like. I found this website where they try to recreate the sauce (link below).

I might try and make it this weekend. Does anyone have any comments after reading the ingredients? I remember the sauce being pretty spicy, but I could be wrong, as I also remember they served you little sport peppers with your dog, right?

Actually, I have everything at home already except I might only have regular Hungarian Paprika, not smoked. I might not have brown sugar either.

Ingredients

2 tbsp. cooking oil
2 large white onions, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/3 c. ketchup
2 to 4 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, depending on taste
1/2 tsp. vinegar
1/2 tsp. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Hungarian smoked paprika
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1-2 dashes of Cayenne pepper, depending on taste
1 1/2 cup water
2 tbsp. all purpose flour
Directions 
In a pan or Dutch oven, saute the onions in oil over medium high heat. Add garlic; cook until tender. Meanwhile, combine ketchup, Worcestershire, vinegar, sugar, paprika and remaining seasonings and water. Stir into onions; reduce heat and simmer on low heat for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until tender. Then add flour and remaining 2 tablespoons water. Stir into mixture and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.  Can be served on hot dogs warm or at room temperature.

http://awesomehotdogs.com...hungarian-onion-sauce/

8 Replies Related Threads

yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Charlie's Pool Room - Grandma Fencz's Secret Sauce 2016/04/13 22:15:34 (permalink)
    Well, I couldn't wait. I went ahead and made this. I made a small error and put all the ingredients in when it said, even the flour. Oops. Flour was supposed to be at the end.

My observations is it's nothing like Charlie's Pool Room. When I first tasted it I could taste the mustard. When it cooked for a few hours, the mustard was not as pronounced, more incorporated into everything else.

My advice is it needs to be hotter than what I made. It has a background of spicy flavor and is good for everyone. I used about 1/2 teaspoon.

Does anyone remember any tomato type taste in Grandma Fencz's sauce? I kind of remember a different flavor profile than what I made tonight.
    johnlockedema
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    Re: Charlie's Pool Room - Grandma Fencz's Secret Sauce 2016/06/10 07:21:03 (permalink)
    The remaining brother will be on the NJ Hot Dog Tour in September, you can try asking him.
    BrianH1983
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re: Charlie's Pool Room - Grandma Fencz's Secret Sauce 2016/06/10 08:06:07 (permalink)
    It's a shame that place closed.  Those guys were so sweet and that place was a gem.
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Charlie's Pool Room - Grandma Fencz's Secret Sauce 2016/06/10 09:04:24 (permalink)
    I sent a message about getting on the hot dog tour, but nobody answered.
    Maybe he'll make sauce for the tour. I'd be willing to pay for ingredients and time.
    BrianH1983
    Hamburger
    Re: Charlie's Pool Room - Grandma Fencz's Secret Sauce 2016/06/13 14:21:25 (permalink)
    yuppicide
    Maybe he'll make sauce for the tour. I'd be willing to pay for ingredients and time.

The owner John Fencz doesn't really do computers.  They don't own one and his brother Joe used to go to the library to check their Yelp reviews.  Sadly, Joe passed away.  It's a shame, he was a very sweet man.
    BrianH1983
    Hamburger
    Re: Charlie's Pool Room - Grandma Fencz's Secret Sauce 2016/06/13 14:27:18 (permalink)
    This was a few years ago though, so things may have changed.

yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Charlie's Pool Room - Grandma Fencz's Secret Sauce 2016/06/15 23:54:15 (permalink)
    BrianH1983
    yuppicide

The owner John Fencz doesn't really do computers.  They don't own one and his brother Joe used to go to the library to check their Yelp reviews.  Sadly, Joe passed away.  It's a shame, he was a very sweet man.

I meant I sent a message to someone on Roadfood, or maybe just replied in the hot dog tour topic here about ME getting on the tour this year with a friend of mine. I've been wanting to go, but never do. People have asked me a few times saying I should come. I also just happened to comment that since Fencz is coming maybe he'd make sauce for us. I'd certainly be willing to pay if he'd whip us up a batch.
    BrianH1983
    Hamburger
    Re: Charlie's Pool Room - Grandma Fencz's Secret Sauce 2016/06/22 13:21:42 (permalink)
    It is very good sauce
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5