Charlie's Steak House in Kentucky Lives . . . under a new name in another state

Author
Louis
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1274
2015/08/21 18:58:22 (permalink)

Charlie's Steak House in Kentucky Lives . . . under a new name in another state

From 2007 until about two or three years ago, one of the Roadfood restaurants listed was Charlie's Steak House in Oak Grove, Kentucky, near Fort Campbell, Kentucky.  I took Jane and Michael Stern here in February of that year.  The reason the restaurant was removed from the site was because it burned down and there were no plans to rebuild it.   End of story . . . so I thought.

It turns out that the owners of Charlie's had another restaurant about 90 minutes away in Springfield, Tennessee, fairly close to Nashville.  It is Torino's Greek and Italian Restaurant.  All the owners did was recreate Charlie's Steakhouse in another state using the exact same recipes at this other location.  The menus and the service are the same.  It is a destination restaurant; I would easily travel two-and-a-half hours to get here.  The porterhouse steak that is drenched in garlic salt is worth every penny.  And now I can have it again . . . and again . . . and again.  It's a little bit farther than before, but I don't care.  I'm just glad it's back.

http://torinosrestaurant.net/

4 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8107
    Re: Charlie's Steak House in Kentucky Lives . . . under a new name in another state 2015/08/23 20:54:55 (permalink)
    Did Charlie's and Torino's always have the same owners?  Or were they at one time completely separate entities?
    Louis
    Re: Charlie's Steak House in Kentucky Lives . . . under a new name in another state 2015/08/24 23:49:05 (permalink)
    The story that was told to me that was that Charlie's Steak House in Fort Campbell, Kentucky, was once owned by an individual named Charlie.  At one point he died, and his girlfriend took over ownership.  Somewhere along the way it was sold to a man and a wife, who continued to run it for years.  They continued to prepare their steaks in the way that had made Charlie's famous in the region for years.

This couple owned a Greek and Italian restaurant in Springfield, Tennessee, named Tornio's.  From what I gather from internet reviews, it was an OK restaurant.  There was nothing particularly to distinguish it from any other Greek and Italian restaurant.

Then Charlie's burned down a few years ago.  This couple then started serving steaks at their Greek and Italian restaurant, Torino's, using the same preparation techniques that had made Charlie's Steak House famous.  Word-of-mouth about the steaks led people to their door, and they've been doing well ever since.  They even call their steaks "Charlie's Steaks" on their menu, I guess, so there is no confusion.  They are well worth seeking out, if you are in the Nashville--or southern Kentucky--area.

I've only had one or two disappointments in 25 years of going to the Charlie's Restaurant that burned down.  The last time was when I took Carolina Bob there about 2007 or 2008.   We drove 100 miles to get there, and they screwed things up for us; it was poorly cooked.  (You know how that goes; it's happened to all of us at one time or another; you get someone to go to a restaurant you like, and then they serve you a mediocre meal.)  A few days later I returned to Charlie's, and the food was great.   I felt kind of bad about it, but Bob and I ate at a bunch of other great places, and soon our disappointment was forgotten.

Louis
    Re: Charlie's Steak House in Kentucky Lives . . . under a new name in another state 2015/08/24 23:49:06 (permalink)
    The story that was told to me that was that Charlie's Steak House in Fort Campbell, Kentucky, was once owned by an individual named Charlie.  At one point he died, and his girlfriend took over ownership.  Somewhere along the way it was sold to a man and a wife, who continued to run it for years.  They continued to prepare their steaks in the way that had made Charlie's famous in the region for years.

This couple owned a Greek and Italian restaurant in Springfield, Tennessee, named Tornio's.  From what I gather from internet reviews, it was an OK restaurant.  There was nothing particularly to distinguish it from any other Greek and Italian restaurant.

Then Charlie's burned down a few years ago.  This couple then started serving steaks at their Greek and Italian restaurant, Torino's, using the same preparation techniques that had made Charlie's Steak House famous.  Word-of-mouth about the steaks led people to their door, and they've been doing well ever since.  They even call their steaks "Charlie's Steaks" on their menu, I guess, so there is no confusion.  They are well worth seeking out, if you are in the Nashville--or southern Kentucky--area.

I've only had one or two disappointments in 25 years of going to the Charlie's Restaurant that burned down.  The last time was when I took Carolina Bob there about 2007 or 2008.   We drove 100 miles to get there, and they screwed things up for us; it was poorly cooked.  (You know how that goes; it's happened to all of us at one time or another; you get someone to go to a restaurant you like, and then they serve you a mediocre meal.)  A few days later I returned to Charlie's, and the food was great.   I felt kind of bad about it, but Bob and I ate at a bunch of other great places, and soon our disappointment was forgotten.

Louis
    Re: Charlie's Steak House in Kentucky Lives . . . under a new name in another state 2017/11/28 20:23:12 (permalink)
    The purpose of this thread was to tell you that Charlie's Steakhouse in Fort Campbell, KY (which was once one of the restaurants featured on roadfood.com before it burned down earlier this decade) had moved to another location under a new name with the same owners.  It was Torino's in Springfield, Tennessee.

I have now been to Torino's twice over the last couple of years, and I have to say that I am deeply disappointed with it.  Their menu says they serve Charlie's steaks, but they sure don't taste like them.  For instance, the porterhouse steak, which I regularly traveled 100 miles to eat several times a year: Instead of being heavily encrusted with garlic salt, it now only has a sprinkle of salt on it.  The meat flavor?  Well, there was none.  Instead of tasting like a $36 steak, it tasted like a $2 dog.  I had high hopes for this place, but I'm now going to advise my fellow roadfooders to stay away.  No one but the locals need to know about this place.

Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5