scrumptiouschef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2785
2018/12/22 12:31:54 (permalink)

7 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10413
    Re: Cheese Balls via Homesick Texan 2018/12/22 13:48:43 (permalink)
    Thanks...now all you need are great crackers. Sounds great!
    mlm
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 659
    Re: Cheese Balls via Homesick Texan 2018/12/22 17:49:30 (permalink)
    My mother made a bleu cheese dip at New Years which was somewhat similar. Keep the ratio of cream cheese and bleu cheese about the same as homesick Texan' recipe and add in chopped black olives to taste. At least a quarter of a cup of olives. I don't think she had a recipe for it, at least not written down. She omitted the seasonings and nuts and had it as a dip instead of a ball. She and I ate it on Triscuits and it was divine. Our other New Year was the basic Velveeta Rotel dip. To this day, I still love both dips. For some reason, she only made dips at New Years. I'll eat them anytime at all.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9349
    Re: Cheese Balls via Homesick Texan 2018/12/22 20:31:07 (permalink)
    "I was the kind of kid who loved free food samples (OK, who are we kidding—I still love free food samples) and whenever we made a trip to the mall, a stop in Hickory Farms was a must for me because they were always giving away slivers of summer sausage and smears of cheese that came from a nut-wrapped ball."

Word.  If I close my eyes today I can still smell Hickory Farms.
    mlm
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Cheese Balls via Homesick Texan 2018/12/22 21:19:02 (permalink)
     I was never lucky enough to go to a Hickory Foods store but their catalogues sure made me salivate!

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9349
    Re: Cheese Balls via Homesick Texan 2018/12/22 21:59:09 (permalink)
    mlm, it was a great experience.  I grew up within walking distance of a mall and for many years one of its original tenants was Hickory Farms, and a walk-through was almost mandatory on every visit.  Exit Sears into the mall, go up to the second level, Hickory Farms to the left and York Steak House to the right.

But getting back to the original topic, cheese logs and cheese balls were always kind of a novelty in my family.  Growing up in far northern IL with ancestral roots in WI, we ate our cheese straight.  Cheese balls and logs were mostly received as gifts or purchased at a great discount and there was always the ever-present crock of Kaukauna Klub, but AFAIK no one ever felt the need to actually try to make a cheese spread.

Now a molded ball of cream cheese and canned shrimp and/or crab...that was a different story.
    mlm
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Cheese Balls via Homesick Texan 2018/12/23 07:42:51 (permalink)
    Pretty much the same with my family. We ate plenty of cheese year around but dips were special foods which were only made during the holidays. There were a number of special cookies and whatnot which my mother insisted were just for the Christmas season. I don't know why I never took the initiative and make special foods at other times but, while I was living at home, I didn't have that much spending money and so had to make foods from the materials provided. SC, I guess in your family y'all made cheese balls or logs rather than dips.
    scrumptiouschef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2785
    Re: Cheese Balls via Homesick Texan 2018/12/23 10:32:32 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    "I was the kind of kid who loved free food samples (OK, who are we kidding—I still love free food samples) and whenever we made a trip to the mall, a stop in Hickory Farms was a must for me because they were always giving away slivers of summer sausage and smears of cheese that came from a nut-wrapped ball."

Word.  If I close my eyes today I can still smell Hickory Farms.

I can still smell the Hickory Farms too. They were smoky, perhaps from all the sausages. And the one at Fayette Mall (Lexington) was really generous with the samples when we were kids. Variety packs from the store always found their way into our stockings at Christmas.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5