Helpful ReplyHot!Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016 2016/12/23 20:59:27 (permalink)
Dim Sum for breakfast? Classy fella!

will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 567
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016 2016/12/23 21:21:40 (permalink)
" List now complete "

Wow!  The rest of your selections look wonderful too!

Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1025
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016 2016/12/23 21:53:47 (permalink)
I wish I had a place nearby that served dim sum. That looks absolutely fantastic.
Tudor's Biscuit World? That's a chain, dude! Shame on you! (Although I've always wanted to try them on our passages through WVa).
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7677
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016 2016/12/24 08:59:15 (permalink)
It looks like Tudor's uses a reasonably decent cheese, too.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4433
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016 2016/12/24 09:11:55 (permalink)
My favorite category...not one I wouldn't enjoy!

In particular, in NYC, went to Ess-A-Bagel EVERY day!!!

Amalie's, Enrigue's Biscotti and Hominy Grill make this Ten World Class!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9867
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016 2016/12/24 09:31:55 (permalink)
Uncle Groucho
Dim Sum for breakfast? Classy fella!

I guess its the "cosmopolitan" thing to do . Growing up in NY I never did Dim Sum there once. The closest I came to doing Dim Sum was heading to the bars on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, and after they closed at 4am we'd take the subway to Chinatown for breakfast at Wo Hop 

Root-Beer Man
I wish I had a place nearby that served dim sum. That looks absolutely fantastic.
Tudor's Biscuit World? That's a chain, dude! Shame on you! (Although I've always wanted to try them on our passages through WVa).

Michael Hoffman keeps reminding me ... But it's a West Virginia only local chain with a handful of outposts in Eastern Ohio
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016 2016/12/24 11:20:04 (permalink)
Roadfood Professional  Hall of Fame of 2016

A couple of months ago I started a thread highlighting the Roadfood Profressionals throughout the years that took the extra step to make the dining experience extra special

Before I announce the 2016 winners (a two way tie this year) I want to re-cap 2016 in a nutshell

Back in January Sandra and I escaped the first major blizzard in Rhode Island by heading NORTH to Vermont. Yes, it was a coastal storm and Southern Vermont nary a snowflake fell. We then continued down to Worcester MA to meet our Boston Roadfood Friends.

In February Sandra and I embarked  on our week long trip. After flying down to Charlotte, we met the original Roadfooder himself,  Michael and Linda Stern at Shealy's BBQ the next day for lunch. We then continued on to Jacksonville/St Augustine Weekend meeting new to me Roadfooders including, Chicken Plucker,  Big Bear, Crew84Row and Keysey42 We then continued on to Charleston via Savannah before returning to Charlotte via Columbia SC to spend time with my Cousin Lisa and her family as well as my friend Julianne and her husband Scott.

In April Sandra and I headed on our first Roadtrip of the year beginning in Amish Country and visiting Sandra's relatives. We then continued on to Charleston and Huntington WV and even made it as far west as Ashland KY before returning to Pittsburgh for the big spring weekend trip. We then returned home via Scranton #WheresJoeRogo?

In May, merely a few weeks later we headed on an impromptu visit to my Nephew Brandon's college graduation in Binghamton NY , but stayed an hour south in Scranton PA since no hotels were available in Bingamton.  We did have breakfast in Scranton with #There'sJoeRogo and Mosca

June took the Boston Crew on the Billyboy lead Brooklyn tour, Sandra and I spent the following day in in Manhattan due to an incredibly lucky overnight priceline pick for a King room at the Sheraton Time Square for $89 a night and an spur of the moment lunch with Billyboy

No big trips in July but it's always a big event when Buffetbuster comes to Rhode Island for the weekend during his week long trip throughout New England

My solo heartland Roadtrip was in August of this year. stopping in CT to see Sandra, NJ to visit my friend Ian, then off to Amish Country and then burgers in Columbus with Michael Hoffman, Lleechef and my Cousin Mona.  Only to be greeted by a huge spread sheet in Indiana with the likes of Chi Town Diner and ChiBears15 We met other Roadfooders at Joe Hubers in Starlight IN including new to me roadfooder Uncle Groucho and of course our special guest, Mayor Al's widow, Ms. Janet My trip continued on with Louis showing me some of the best Roadfood spots in Western KY and then on the way home meeting up with Ralph Melton his lovely bride Ice Cream Chick and of course Buffetbuster for some Barberton Chicken  at Belgrade Gardens in Barberton OH and finally a quick in the parking lot hello to Mosca in Wilkes Barre PA

September took Sandra and I on our week long trip to San Francisco and Yosemite, not only did we experience all time high record breaking heat in San Francisco of 91 and 90 degree, respectively but we also had dinner at my Cousin Dane's house in beautiful, upscale Tiburon.

October took me on an impromptu trip to Baltimore and DC for a two interesting family re-unions including meeting my younger half sister for the very first time. I also had the opportunity to get together with Sandra's college friend, Ellen and her boyfriend Joel and dine with Signman at Pioneer Pit Beef (my first visit) and of course everyone's Cousin Johnny at G & M Restaurant

Sandra and I spent Thanksgiving weekend in Northern VT visiting new to us restaurants and finally in December I headed to NYC for an impromptu farewell to the Carnegie Deli with my friends Ian and Steve, and his coworker Justin. 

I guess all in all it was a big Roadfood Year.

Anyway, back in February, our first official stop for Jacksonville/St. Augustine weekend was Gator's BBQ in Jacksonville 
Not only was it one of our favorite stops of the weekend, but owners John and Sandy Shepherd truly went out of their way to ensure we had an excellent experience. They were truly fantastic hosts and I'm glad I finally completed my Roadfood review of Gator's BBQ

In August, Chibears15 was really looking forward to a visit at Zaharakos in Columbus In. It was there we met soda jerk extraordinaire, Wilma Hare. A perky firecracker of a lady who doesnt' take guff from anyone, especially Chi Town Diner. Wilma was a real hoot and gave us a tour of the upstairs museum.

So the roadfood professionals of 2016 are 

John and Sandy Shepherd of Gator's BBQ in Jacksonville FL

IMG_8542 by ohso37, on Flickr

and
Wilma Hare of Zaharakos Ice Cream Parlor in Columbus IN

IMG_9484 by ohso37, on Flickr

post edited by wanderingjew - 2016/12/24 11:58:10
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016 2016/12/24 12:06:35 (permalink)
HaHaHa!  Very Funny WJ!  Sometimes it pays to be in the right place at the wrong time!  
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6333
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016 2016/12/24 14:44:28 (permalink)
What beautiful pics of fantastic food! 
That Canadian bacon/boursin croissant had me 'at hello'!
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10232
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016 2016/12/24 15:01:53 (permalink)
Just great stuff, WJ. I wish I could have on of each!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016 2016/12/25 21:17:44 (permalink)
I'll continue with Old Standby's on Tuesday...I hope to complete the end of the year report on or just after New Years.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016 2016/12/26 07:18:12 (permalink)
My prayers did not include any "wait time", "periods of rest" or "#WJscrewingaroundtime" - get back to work because ChiBears15 is waiting in the wings!  
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016 2016/12/26 08:15:22 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
My prayers did not include any "wait time", "periods of rest" or "#WJscrewingaroundtime" - get back to work because ChiBears15 is waiting in the wings!  

Sorry, some of us can't sit around  and wallow in retirement. I do work and I'm also heading up to Boston this evening to see my cousin Howie who is visiting from Long Island with his wife.
Besides...where is YOUR trip report?
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016 2016/12/26 08:46:52 (permalink)
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner

Sorry, some of us can't sit around  and wallow in retirement. I do work and I'm also heading up to Boston this evening to see my cousin Howie who is visiting from Long Island with his wife.
Besides...where is YOUR trip report?

As planned, I have sent all my photos to ChiBears15 who is producing a legendary combined Trip Report - End of the Year Review.  So as to not steal your thunder, he is waiting patiently!  
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 11934
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016 2016/12/27 08:12:39 (permalink)
Three visits to Hominy Grill on the same trip?  I'm starting to think you like the place. 

We are leaving for Charleston on Friday and have reservations for New Year's Eve dinner at Hominy Grill.  And no doubt we will have breakfast there one morning, too.  Looks like we will come up one short! 
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016 2016/12/27 08:56:14 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Three visits to Hominy Grill on the same trip?  I'm starting to think you like the place. 

We are leaving for Charleston on Friday and have reservations for New Year's Eve dinner at Hominy Grill.  And no doubt we will have breakfast there one morning, too.  Looks like we will come up one short! 

That can be easily fixed....call me and I'll explain it! Think Chocolate!  
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 11934
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016 2016/12/27 09:39:29 (permalink)
CTD-
I promise my visits, including breakfast, will start with that chocolate pudding!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016 2016/12/27 09:50:14 (permalink)
buffetbuster
CTD-
I promise my visits, including breakfast, will start with that chocolate pudding!

Somehow...I thought they might!  All of 'em! Begin AND end! 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016 2016/12/27 15:25:43 (permalink)
buffetbuster

We did the same thing in the "other Charleston" with Diehl's- we visited three times.
It seems that visiting Charleston for New Years is almost becoming an annual tradition with you .
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2016/12/27 20:47:49 (permalink)
Old Standby's

(in no particular order)
These are the roadfood restaurants tried and true that I continue to revisit throughout the years. Believe it or not I decided to ease the requirements this year of waiting a minimum of three years before re-posting an old standby. Unfortunately there were a couple of old stand by's that left me a little disappointed and were not quite the way they were. I mentioned one in my August trip report, but it doesn't matter which ones they were. 

1. Cioppino at Tadich Grill- San Francisco CA
(last visited in 2007)

A stew filled with an aquariam of sea creatures, was just as good as I remembered nearly 9 and a half years later. We saved this stop for last and it may have been Sandra's favorite meal of our San Francisco trip. 

IMG_0287 by ohso37, on Flickr

2. Petrale Sole at Sam's Grill- San Francisco CA
(last visited in 2007)

Such an incredibly clean tasting fish. Although my side of creamed spinach was a little on the soupy side, the main course alone made that a forgotten memory

IMG_0185 by ohso37, on Flickr

3. Chicken Paprikash at Belgrade Gardens - Barberton OH
(last visited in 2011)

Having ordered the barberton fried chicken on last visit, my mouth was wide open  in amazament when buffetbuster ordered the large chicken paprikash on this visit. Although I ordered the regular size portion,  after only one bite of the chicken paprikash my only regret was that I didn't do the same

IMG_9831 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_9835 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_9833 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_9832 by ohso37, on Flickr

4. Falafel at Mahmoun's Falafel New York, NY 
(last visited in 1991- yes! 1991!!!)

I'm not sure what alluded me from visiting over the last quarter of a century. Sometimes one wonders whether it will be as good as one remembers, well when I returned with Billyboy and Sandra this past June, I decided that this is still my favorite favorite falafel sandwich ever!

2016-12-22_07-35-00 by ohso37, on Flickr

5. Stuffed Veal Shoulder and STuffed Cabbage at Goulash Place- Danbury CT
(last visited 2012)

Most of us were less than impressed when we visited before the official start of the Connecticut Bus tour back in 2012, however Sandra being part Hungarian had always wanted to visit, so, this past May,  on our way back home from my nephew's Graduation in Binghamton  we did and wow what a difference- I'll admit my Transylvanian Goulash was nothing to brag about but the stuffed cabbage appetizer and Sandra's Stuffed Veal Shoulder were dishes that those of old country  plebian peasant stock would be proud of. 

2016-12-22_07-41-43 by ohso37, on Flickr

2016-12-22_07-41-30 by ohso37, on Flickr

6. Wholey Whaler Sandwich at Wholey- Pittsburgh PA
(last visited 2013)

I don't think I've ever had a better fried fish sandwich. Something I "must have" whenever I visit Pittsburgh 

Wholey&#x27;s Pittsburgh PA by ohso37, on Flickr

7. Steak Salad at Log Cabin- Harmony PA

(last visited 2004)
An iconic treasure about 40 minutes north of Pittsburgh, we separated from the other folks during the Pittsburgh spring weekend event to have a quite dinner with an old friend. We were lucky to get there early enough because there is usually a 2 hour wait on weekends.  

Log Cabin Harmony PA by ohso37, on Flickr

8. Burger at Tessaro's- Pittsburgh PA
(last visited 2013 - less than three years ago)

I'm sure grinding fresh beef on site is part of the reason that this is one of my favorite burgers in the country.

Tessaro&#x27;s Pittsburgh PA by ohso37, on Flick

9. Everything at Diehl's Restaurant- Nitro WV- 
(last visited 2015)

Like Hominy Grill in the "other Charleston" we visited Diehl's not once , not twice  but three times during our visit pre Pittsburgh Spring weekend. Whether it was the Beans and Cornbread, Fried Bologna Sandwich or the Country Ham with fried stuffing, each meal was stellar. This will not be the last time that Diehl's makes an appearance on this thread.

IMG_9141 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_9176 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_9185 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_9186 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_9184 by ohso37, on Flickr

10. Fried Oysters and Boiled Shrimp at Bowen's Island Restaurant- Charleston SC
(last visited 2010)

IMG_8951 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_8950 by ohso37, on Flickr

11. Down South Egg Roll, Fried Green Tomato and Pimento Cheese Spread at Magnolia's- Charleston SC
(last visited 2010)

When we came here for lunch back in February, we decided to go tapas- instead of ordering full meals
IMG_8782 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_8780 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_8779 by ohso37, on Flickr

12. Schnitz and Knepp  at County Line Restaurant- Richfield PA
(last visited 2015)

Ever since Rissers Restaurant closed down after the untimely death of Ernie Risser I've been looking for that perfect Penn Dutch Restaurant, especially one with Schnitz and Knepp on the menu. Last year I found it. Although not exactly in Penn Dutch Country, County Line Restaurant about 40 miles north of Harrisburg serves classic Penn Dutch Fare this side of Lancaster
IMG_9120 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_9121 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_9123 by ohso37, on Flickr

13 G and M Restaurant- Linthicum Heights MD

(last visited 2014)

IMG_0316 by ohso37, on Flickr

My favorite crab cakes...period.....

Although there were some restaurants that didn't wow me as much as the dozen or so on this list, there are three that deserve special attention.

The first two I visited in San Francisco after a 23 year absence..

Original Joe's San Francisco CA

The Joe's Special invented in these parts is a filling combination of spinach, beef, eggs, onions and for an additonal charge- mushroom. Original Joe's in the North Beach neighborhood has been around since 1937

Original Joe&#x27;s San Francisco CA by ohso37, on Flickr

Golden Boy Pizza

When I first visited  Golden Boy Pizza back in 1993 I had discovered that Foccacia Pizza was essentially San Francisco style Pizza. Having lived in Seattle for a  year at the time, I was very pizza deprived and this was truly something special I remember thinking that San Francisco was so close to Seattle that it was truly a shame we didn't have anything remotely similar.

IMG_0107 by ohso37, on Flickr

Carnegie Deli New York, NY

Sadly the Carnegie Deli in NYC will be closing it's doors at the end of the week. Another nail in the coffin for the NYC Jewish Delis which used to flourish in the hundreds just on the Lower East Side Alone (yes there used to be about 4 Hunred Katz's just on the lower east side)  We waited 90 minutes "on line" before entering and I'm glad I had the opportunity to say goodbye to a NYC icon.

IMG_0389 by ohso37, on Flickr

2016-12-27_06-07-12 by ohso37, on Flickr

2016-12-27_06-08-17 by ohso37, on Flickr

2016-12-27_06-08-35 by ohso37, on Flickr

post edited by wanderingjew - 2016/12/28 07:59:12
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2016/12/27 21:13:42 (permalink)
I would love to try the Whaler sandwich.

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2016/12/27 22:38:05 (permalink)
Who granted the excemption on the three year rule?  Seems a bit loose with the traditional rules.

An aquarium of seafood may be my favorite line of the report!

I had never heard of Schnitz and Kneff...interesting.
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11355
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2016/12/27 22:53:12 (permalink)
Uncle Groucho

It is one hell of a sandwich and nobody does it better than Wholey's!
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11355
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2016/12/27 22:54:46 (permalink)
Dale,
Some beautiful pics and food there!  You ate well in 2016!!!!!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2016/12/28 07:57:10 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

You have to get in your horse and buggy and go to your nearest Amish restaurant- although I think Schnitz and Knepp more of a Penn Dutch Specialty- it's Ham, Dumplings and Stewed Apples.

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2016/12/28 08:22:49 (permalink)
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner

You have to get in your horse and buggy and go to your nearest Amish restaurant- although I think Schnitz and Knepp more of a Penn Dutch Specialty- it's Ham, Dumplings and Stewed Apples.

I'd be all over that combination...I'll ask Patti to hitch up old Rascal to the buggy! 
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2016/12/28 08:23:44 (permalink)
lleechef
Uncle Groucho

It is one hell of a sandwich and nobody does it better than Wholey's!

I believe Burger King also does a Whaler and adds....cheese!  Not sure if it is from Wisconsin?! 
IndianaPete
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 140
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2016/12/28 08:49:15 (permalink)
MAN !!   I have never seen more beautiful food pictures in my life!!
You've given me a whole year of desktop backgrounds.   THX
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2016/12/28 09:47:40 (permalink)
IndianaPete
MAN !!   I have never seen more beautiful food pictures in my life!!
You've given me a whole year of desktop backgrounds.   THX

YW- Perhaps I should invest in putting together a food calendar photo- I'd be more than happy to give Jane and Michael Stern a piece of the profit

New to me honorable mentions will be on the menu tonight

ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10232
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2016/12/28 12:02:11 (permalink)
This report is epic, WJ! And your photos are gorgeous! I would buy one of your calendars!
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5