Helpful ReplyHot!Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9781
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2016/12/30 19:45:46 (permalink)
Best Other Desserts of 2016
(in no particular order)

it's not all just about pie, although I know a certain someone from Pittsburgh thinks otherwise

The Chocolate Turtle St Augustine FL

2016-12-30_01-28-11 by ohso37, on Flickr

2016-12-30_01-27-58 by ohso37, on Flickr

2016-12-30_01-27-43 by ohso37, on Flickr

As busy and as popular as the Chocolate turtle was, it was also  one of the few places on this year's list that went out of business just because the co-owner's couldnt' see eye to eye. All of us enjoyed the Key Lime Torte, Strawberry and Cream Cake and the other cake which Karilyn got which I can't recall but that was really good as well.

Diehl's Family Restaurant Nitro WV

IMG_9188 by ohso37, on Flickr

Diehl's is one of those restaurants that just keeps making it's appearance on this thread. Like all of the menu items, this blackberry cobbler is no exception when it comes to excellent homemade quality. My only disappointment was that they were out of Apple Dumplings the day before (the Chocolate Cream Pie we shared was the consolation prize)

Millie's Homemade Ice Cream Pittsburgh PA

2016-12-30_07-01-47 by ohso37, on Flickr

One of those new hipster micro creameries,. buffesbuster suggested I get the the Vietnamese Coffee and I'm glad I did. 

BRICS  Indianapolis Indian

2016-08-31_08-23-02 by ohso37, on Flickr

Located in an old train station I decided to choo choo choose the Chocolate Choo Choo- dark, rich, creamy and decadent

Joe Huber's Family Farm Orchard Restaurant Starlight Indiana

IMG_9499 by ohso37, on Flickr

Chi Town Diner was the last man standing who decided to order dessert, and as full as I was my only regret is that I didn't get my own cherry cobbler, even if it was just "to go"

Hodgenville Grill - Hodgenville KY

2016-08-31_08-43-40 by ohso37, on Flickr

Another buffetbuster recommendation. After turning down strawberry shortcake at Gray Brothers Cafeteria the day before in lieu of raisin pie, I guess you can say I had strawberry shortcake on the brain, and although buffetbuster recommended pie, I decided to rebel and I certainly had no regrets.

San Francisco Hometown Creamery- San Francisco CA

IMG_0174 by ohso37, on Flickr

We found this by accident on our way back to MUNI from Golden Gate Park. Another "hipster" micro creamery- (well it is San Francisco) after taste testing, I went with the Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge, probably the best cup I've had all year.

Carnegie Deli New York NY

2016-12-27_06-06-35 by ohso37, on Flickr

If there is one thing I've really enjoyed at the Carnegie Deli its the cheese cake. Four of us shared this beauty. 

My last pick is a bonus. It wasn't exactly on my favorite list. It was fine but it was just so truly unique I just had to add it.

Brooklyn Farmacy and Soda Fountain Brooklyn NY

(Photo courtesy of Billyboy)

This "farmacy"  was a really cool place and how could I turn down an ice cream concoction called "The Elvis"  served with a pickle on the side- yes I ate the pickle too!

post edited by wanderingjew - 2016/12/30 19:53:41
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4358
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2016/12/30 20:45:31 (permalink)
Chocolate Turtle backstory was certainly a strange one...good stuff, to bad it's gone!  

Pickles?  You're not pregnant are you?  
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2016/12/31 10:01:31 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

Well,

The Amy half of Ayersian was staring voraciously at that pickle
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2016/12/31 10:13:06 (permalink)
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner

Well,

She's a married women, and you're almost a married man...why was she staring at your pickle?  
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2016/12/31 10:24:15 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner

Well,

She's a married women, and you're almost a married man...why was she staring at your pickle?  

Don't get me started on what transpired at the Carnegie Deli ! And that involved four guys! 
TnTinCT
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 693
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2016/12/31 21:33:42 (permalink)
Wonderful pictures as always! Based on your "best" lists, we'll have to prioritize Charleston soon! And Yosemite is one of the most beautiful places in the US, you captured it's majesty, but in person it's truly awe inspiring.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/01 11:15:05 (permalink)
TnTinCT
Wonderful pictures as always! Based on your "best" lists, we'll have to prioritize Charleston soon! And Yosemite is one of the most beautiful places in the US, you captured it's majesty, but in person it's truly awe inspiring.

Thanks. I don't think there is one weak spot in the incredible restaurants that Charleston has to offer. There is just so much to choose from that you have to prioritize
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/01 11:46:32 (permalink)
wanderingjew
TnTinCT

Thanks. I don't think there is one weak spot in the incredible restaurants that Charleston has to offer. There is just so much to choose from that you have to prioritize

Agreed....and we (Roadfood community) has an undercover emissary there right now!  He is moving about the city with great stealth...but the chocolate pudding on his face does tend to give him away!   
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/01 17:55:15 (permalink)
I'll post the top 10 new to me Roadfood restaurants tomorrow evening and will most likely conclude with new to me regional foods tried for the first time the following  evening.

Just a brief synopsis of what's in store for this year (yes it's now this year). In March Sandra and I will take our first big trip to San Diego, we'll spend the first weekend in the LA area and then spend a day on Catalina Island and the remainder of the trip in San Diego. The key theme of this trip will be no burgers, no hot dogs and no bbq (well maybe some bbq in the form of Korean Tacos.

In June we'll take a four day weekend trip to DC, we won't have a car,  we'll be staying with friends right in DC and there's a good chance that one or two of Sandra's kids may join us.  I suspect there will be more "eat like a local" food and ethnic food in store for us. There will be Good food, but most likely not much roadfood.

In July or August (I'm shooting for July) I will be meeting ChiBears15, Chicken Plucker and hopefully others (which will include attempting to Kidnap Chi Town Diner)  in Atlanta for good Roadfood and Baseball at the new Braves Ballpark. I plan to fly in to Charlotte, hopefully visit with my cousin then continue with a mini one day smack down of South Carolina BBQ. We'll spend the weekend in atlanta hopefully hit a dozen places or so, then I plan to take a road trip and spend a few days in the Dallas Fort Worth area , hopefully stopping in Nashville, Memphis and Western Arkansas along the way and then Shreveport, Jackson and Birmingham on the way back to Charlotte.

Lastly in late September/Early October Sandra and I will do the Laura Ingalls Wilder tour that she has always wanted to do and of course combine it with some epic roadfood stops. We plan to fly into Chicago, hopefully meeting up with some of our Chicago roadfood friends, we then plan to spend a day in Milwaukee hopefully meeting up with some of our Wisconsin Roadfood friends. From there we will drive to northeastern Iowa for the first house/museum tour, then continue on to Western Wisconsin for house/museum tour 2, from there we will spend a day in the Twin Cities and head to Western Minnesota for house/museum tour 3, before venturing to eastern South Dakota for house/museum tour # 4. We will then drive south through Sioux City IA and spend the day in Omaha before continuing on to southeastern KS for house/museum tour #5 with our last house museum tour just east of Springfield MO. We then plan to spend a day in St Louis before returning to Chicago to fly home.

I'm sure there will be some smaller weekend trips as well but those we'll play by ear. 
post edited by wanderingjew - 2017/01/02 13:43:09
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10205
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/01 21:31:30 (permalink)
Well, you let me know the date you will be here and I will certainly take the day off...
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/02 08:16:48 (permalink)
ann peeples
Well, you let me know the date you will be here and I will certainly take the day off...

Yes, I will
I can tell you it will be a Friday in September. We have vouchers on southwest that we plan to use for this trip and our trip has to be completed by October 3rd or 4th so it will definitely be at least 10 days or more before then. Once we plan the dates in the spring I'll have a better idea.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/02 18:41:32 (permalink)
Top 10 New To Me Non Local Restaurants of 2016

These are all in no particular order however the top 3 are in order

10. St Elmo's Steakhouse - Indianapolis IN

IMG_9384 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_9385 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_9387 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_9392 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_9393 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_9394 by ohso37, on Flickr

Depending on who you asked that evening, St Elmo's either really sucked (Chi Town Diner) or really shined (Chibears15 and yours truly) I think it depended on what was ordered for the main course. My bone in ribeye was superb and cooked to a perfect medium. Chi Town Diner's huge bone seared bone in prime rib was a well done disaster. The sides were top notch (I wish my photos were) and the sinus clearing shrimp cocktail was painfully addictive.

9.  Workingman's Friend- Indianapolis IN

2016-08-31_08-17-12 by ohso37, on Flickr

One thing I discovered is that these  these smashed burgers are loaded with big beefy flavor, it's no wonder that the best burgers in the country can be found right here in the Midwest

8. Pioneer Pit Beef- Catonsville MD

[<font]IMG_0300 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_0301 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_0296 by ohso37, on Flickr

Throughout the years bad timing and circumstances beyond my control have prevented me from visiting Pioneer Pit Beef. This time I finally visited but had to do so virtually undercover. Since my half sisters were expecting me for lunch I couldn't tell them I was having lunch before lunch. So this was lunch #1. Tender medium rare thinly sliced beef perfumed with smokey undertones. Although I had to skip the onions due to personal engagements that day, the bbq sauce and tiger sauce were the perfect toppings accompanied by fresh cut fries sprinkled with old bay and doused with cider vinegar

7. Bertha's Kitchen North Charleston SC

IMG_8861 by ohso37, on Flickr

2016-12-22_07-46-11 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_8857 by ohso37, on Flickr

Many of the soul food restaurants in Charleston are "Gullah" influenced and Bertha's is no exception. My fried chicken and mac n cheese were soulful and sinful and the red rice was some of the best I've had anywhere. 

6. Ferdinando's Focacceria- Brooklyn NY

(both photos courtesy of billyboy)

Our last official  stop of the Brooklyn tour was also my favorite. We shared a unique antipasta dish and some heavenly classic red sauce Arancina. I will be back.

5. Gators BBQ- Jacksonville FL

IMG_8535 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_8528 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_8539 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_8541 by ohso37, on Flickr

One of the best Q joints in Northern Florida.  Crispy homemade fried squash, perfectly smoked tender ribs and pork and the smokiest brunswick stew this side of Georgia. 

4. Hominy Grill- Charleston SC

IMG_8707 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_8708 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_8804 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_8805 by ohso37, on Flickr

Hominy Grill was a frequent flyer on this thread. Visiting twice for dinner (we had a guest with us on our second visit- Sandra's co worker's husband) and once for breakfast, we could have dined here for each meal and never tire of the of the place and we didn't even order their world famous chocolate pudding. Sandra's Pine bark Stew, my Country Captain Chicken were quite unique. My Chicken lives from the day before were moist and tender and even the collards were outstanding.

3. The June Bug- Mid Pines CA

IMG_0219 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_0217 by ohso37, on Flickr

If you were to ask Sandra what her favorite meals on the San Francisco trip were she would tell you, Dol Ho, Tadich Grill and The June Bug. Sandra ordered the Petrale Sole en Pappillote and I ordered the Chinese Five Spice Rubbed Pork Chop which was served with spicy napa cabbage garden apple slaw, mashed potatoes and brocolli. Sometimes simplicity just brings about an incredible dichotomy of flavors.

2. Brown Bag Burgers- Henderson KY

I never had the opportunity to visit Bon Ton Mini Mart, so when Louis took me to the reincarnated version called "Roadfood Style" chicken at Brown Bag Burgers I didn't know what to expect. Wow what a surprise, not only the best fried chicken I've had all year but easily some of the best I've ever had.

1.  Kingsman Restaurant- Cayce SC

IMG_8998 by ohso37, on Flickr

Without hesitation this Kings Throne Pimento Cheese Ribeye Burger is the best thing I've had all year while on the road... 

post edited by wanderingjew - 2017/01/03 08:08:52
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4029
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/02 19:35:16 (permalink)
I wish that I had know that you went to Pioneer Pit Beef.  My son and I have lunch there quite often as it is near his office and about 10 miles from our home.  We would have enjoyed meeting you there. Another pit beef place in Baltimore area is much more famous than here but cannot begin to compare!  So happy that you did get to enjoy your meal there.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/02 20:04:11 (permalink)
The King's Throne is a fitting name...all hail the King!  That looks awesome!  
will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/02 21:09:30 (permalink)
Oh my goodness...that burger!!!  WOW!!!
bigbear
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 149
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/02 21:24:44 (permalink)
Gators BBQ in Jacksonville is tough to beat. Really liked it.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4960
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/02 22:40:22 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

Later......all hail the Throne!!!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7607
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/03 02:15:39 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Depending on who you asked that evening, St Elmo's either really sucked (Chi Town Diner) or really shined (Chibears15 and yours truly) I think it depended on what was ordered for the main course. My bone in ribeye was superb and cooked to a perfect medium. Chi Town Diner's huge bone seared bone in prime rib was a well done disaster.

Did he actually order it well-done?  Or was it supposed to be closer to medium?

As a native Midwesterner I appreciate the shout-out about our burgers, but deep in your heart you know the best burgers come from L.A.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/03 07:58:26 (permalink)

Greymo
I wish that I had know that you went to Pioneer Pit Beef.  My son and I have lunch there quite often as it is near his office and about 10 miles from our home.  We would have enjoyed meeting you there. Another pit beef place in Baltimore area is much more famous than here but cannot begin to compare!  So happy that you did get to enjoy your meal there

Oh, if only I knew. apparently I was in your radar that weekend.  That was the same trip when we were both at     G & M at the same time and didn't know it.

ChiTownDiner

Just like Elvis was the King of Rock n Roll and Michael Jackson was the King of Pop, you'll always be the King of Roadfood

ScreamingChicken

wanderingjew
Depending on who you asked that evening, St Elmo's either really sucked (Chi Town Diner) or really shined (Chibears15 and yours truly) I think it depended on what was ordered for the main course. My bone in ribeye was superb and cooked to a perfect medium. Chi Town Diner's huge bone seared bone in prime rib was a well done disaster.

Did he actually order it well-done?  Or was it supposed to be closer to medium?

The Prime Rib was supposed to be "seared" on the outside and I would assume medium on the inside. That wasn't the case. Personally I would hesitate to order a prime rib that is described as "seared"

ScreamingChicken
As a native Midwesterner I appreciate the shout-out about our burgers, but deep in your heart you know the best burgers come from L.A.

Just as long as you know that deep in your heart the best pizza comes from Gary Indiana

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/03 08:35:06 (permalink)
I ordered the Prime Rib medium rare and the waiter went back to the kitchen to make sure they had that available.  He returned with a strong positive so I ordered it. 

When presented, it had been "seared" black and crusty on both sides, was still hot so it continued cooking and was the most disappointing piece of meat I have ever been served.  

The rest of the meal and the atmosphere were all good to great.  Had some fun videoing one of the chefs in the kitchen who played right along.  

But when the main event falls flatter than a Mariah Carey NYE lip sync, the night, except for the company, is ruined.  
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4960
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/03 09:14:06 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
I ordered the Prime Rib medium rare and the waiter went back to the kitchen to make sure they had that available.  He returned with a strong positive so I ordered it. 

When presented, it had been "seared" black and crusty on both sides, was still hot so it continued cooking and was the most disappointing piece of meat I have ever been served.  

The rest of the meal and the atmosphere were all good to great.  Had some fun videoing one of the chefs in the kitchen who played right along.  

But when the main event falls flatter than a Mariah Carey NYE lip sync, the night, except for the company, is ruined.  

Why didn't you send it back!? 
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/03 09:23:37 (permalink)
joerogo
ChiTownDiner

Why didn't you send it back!? 

I felt partially at fault as I later found out this is their "style".  However, the menu description....

Bone-In Prime Rib
38 oz. of flavorful balanced marbling, slow roasted, finished to temperature. Limited availability. 55

...doesn't really say that although "finished to temperature" is perhaps open to interpretation.  Prime Rib should be served closer to butter than shoe leather....just saying. 

Here's my Prime Rib from Christmas Eve at Gibson's Steak House, my Chicago steakhouse favorite....

....a perfect medium rare with a bowl of horseradish sauce and sided by hash browns and creamed spinach.  
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/03 09:38:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2017/01/03 18:46:29
I should also express my thanks and deep gratitude to BOTH wanderingjew and ChiBears15 for allowing me to watch as they sucked down, savored and licked their plates.  Thanks boys!  
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11252
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/03 12:06:49 (permalink)
wj
It ALL looks good, but that is one helluva burger!!!!
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6296
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/03 12:59:50 (permalink)
Thanks for the nice pics and king comments about Brown Bag Burger/RF/Bon Ton fried chicken.  Thanks to them (and a few other places) we are going to take the 'northern route' on our annual drive to NoVa.
IndianaPete
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/03 15:24:00 (permalink)
The St. Elmo's bean soup replaced the even more excellent clam chowder about 20 years ago.
"Sinus clearing shrimp cocktail" ??  I once got a nosebleed!
Last time I babied one down, cutting it into teeny pieces and carefully rationing the amount of horseradish, the guy over my wife's shoulder gulped it down in about 30 seconds (5 bites) and then he might have scooped out the rest of the sauce with a spoon.  That guy had a lot of hair sticking out of his shirt.
Wintahaba
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 487
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/03 15:51:16 (permalink)
Tremendous report WJ...always a delight.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/03 18:48:24 (permalink)
IndianaPete
The St. Elmo's bean soup replaced the even more excellent clam chowder about 20 years ago.
"Sinus clearing shrimp cocktail" ??  I once got a nosebleed!
Last time I babied one down, cutting it into teeny pieces and carefully rationing the amount of horseradish, the guy over my wife's shoulder gulped it down in about 30 seconds (5 bites) and then he might have scooped out the rest of the sauce with a spoon.  That guy had a lot of hair sticking out of his shirt.

ChiTownDiner had wool sprouting out of his chest after he snarfed down that shrimp cocktail 
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/03 19:22:01 (permalink)
I will have a King's Throne burger. I will......
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Chi Town Diner's Prayers are answered- The best of 2016) 2017/01/03 19:27:04 (permalink)
This year there won't be a rotten tomatoes, best sides, or unique scenes and sights along the road list.  

So I will conclude the best of 2016 with

New To me Regional Food

IMG_0074 by ohso37, on Flickr

Olallieberry Pie at Duarte's Tavern Pescadero CA

IMG_0070 by ohso37, on Flickr

Abalone at Duarte's Tavern Pescadero CA

IMG_0067 by ohso37, on Flickr

Artichoke Soup at  Duarte's Tavern Pescadero CA

IMG_0041 by ohso37, on Flickr

Sand Dabs at Sandbar & Grill Monterey CA

IMG_0044 by ohso37, on Flickr

Calamari Steak at Sandbar & Grill Monterey CA

IMG_9825 by ohso37, on Flickr

Hot Water Corn Bread at Shirley Mae's Cafe- Louisville KY

2016-09-19_05-35-30 by ohso37, on Flickr

Chipped Ham BBQ at Peak Brothers BBQ Hendersonville KY

2016-08-31_08-15-10 by ohso37, on Flickr

Beef and Noodles Steer Inn Indianapolis IN

IMG_9447 by ohso37, on Flickr

Persimmon Ice Cream Miller's Homemade Ice Cream Nashville IN

2016-08-31_08-18-06 by ohso37, on Flickr

Macedonian Stew at John's Famous Stew Indianapolis IN

IMG_9278 by ohso37, on Flickr

Pot Pie at Dutchway Family Restaurant Myerstown PA

2017-01-03_12-23-31 by ohso37, on Flickr

Grilled Pizza at Al Forno Providence RI 
(yes I've lived in Rhode Island for 16 years and this was my first time) 

IMG_9112 by ohso37, on Flickr

Baked Wenger's Ham Loaf at The Brickerville House Lititz PA

IMG_8805 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_8500 by ohso37, on Flickr

Country Captain Chicken at Hominy Grill Charleston SC
and 
Curry Chicken at Nana's Soul Food Charlotte NC
(similar but different)

That's it till next year....

post edited by wanderingjew - 2017/01/03 19:31:50
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to: