Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone???

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
papapatra
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2005/08/10 22:59:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by opeth2112

some would compare it more to a pico de galo than a salsa as far as consistency.

The ABSOLUTE best salsa that I have ever had was from Cantina Dos Amigos in Florida (on A1A just south of Cocoa Beach about 20 mins). I'm about ready to fly down there just to get some at this point

Chevy's used to be pretty decent until they added te smoke flavor - might as well serve it in ashtrays haha

Sorry if the last post was a little abrasive - I am a freak when it comes to good salsa

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!

I too have been searching for so long for this (CHI CHI's)recipe...you'd think SOMEONE out there would have it! I've also tried to recreate it...i completely agree with your ingredient list...one of my tries included a "salsa dust" spice packet (not quite sure where i ordered it from but if you're interested i'll find it) and it was the closest i've ever come...of course i tried it a second time & failed miserably...must not have paid close enough attention to my first attempt & how much of what i put in....
nothing out there compares to Chi Chi's garden fresh salsa & i doubt anything ever will....but come on people...someone must know the secret!!!!
TDG
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2005/08/10 23:57:47 (permalink)
Let's just make sure everyone is on the same page--no green peppers in any Chi-Chi's salsa. So that ketchup and green peppers line does not apply here.

What is everyone's opinion of the well-traveled mild recipe tlbartle posted? It seems close...but the "hot salsa" tip at the end is not going to get you anywhere near the Chi-Chi's garden salsa.

mdaneker's post about the garden salsa seems on target...
quote:
Basics of Chi Chi's hot salsa completely ignored by internet "recipies"

Cilantro! It's one of the main things you taste and a basic ingrediant in just about any salsa.
Garlic - the servers oftern refer to it as Garlic, not hot, salsa.
along with some onion, lots of tomataoes, some lime juice and a dash of hot sauce (halbernos, vinigar and salt under any number of brand names)

Next, combine and cover, refigerate for 12 - 24 hrs to let flavors mingle.
lisasings
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2005/08/18 13:41:50 (permalink)
ok, has anyone had the extra hot salsa? i used to get it at chi chis in northeastern pa. it was really hot and mostly a translucent green served cold. that's the recipe i need (or where can i get it?)
midgley78
Junior Burger
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2005/09/14 20:38:36 (permalink)
Hi,
I also loved the salsa...I remember asking a waitress in Chi-Chi's and she mentioned that there was Oregano in the hot salsa. I don't know if this really helps..since I still don't know the other ingredients...but it may be a hint for some of you trying to "recreate" the salsa. Good luck and if anyone gets it right make sure to post it right away!!!
Y2Jin99
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2005/10/18 17:29:41 (permalink)
I was a diehard Chi Chi's fan
First of all does anyone have the owners contact info?
The chi chi's salsa they sell in supermarkets taste nothing like the restaurant version.
I went to the one in Woodbridge NJ and I was prepared for them closing so the waitress snuck me 5 bags of the Hot Garden Salsa Seasoning which I still have.

What do I need now to put with this to get the taste I miss so much?

The bags however say Use thru 12/10/04

A 73664 06-10-04

Chi Chi's
Hot Garden Seasoning
Condimento DE salsa
Picante Jardin
860-0534

Net weight 11.9 ozs.

Manufactured for
Prandium INC
Irvine CA 92612

opeth2112
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2005/10/18 21:10:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Y2Jin99

I was a diehard Chi Chi's fan
First of all does anyone have the owners contact info?
The chi chi's salsa they sell in supermarkets taste nothing like the restaurant version.
I went to the one in Woodbridge NJ and I was prepared for them closing so the waitress snuck me 5 bags of the Hot Garden Salsa Seasoning which I still have.

What do I need now to put with this to get the taste I miss so much?

The bags however say Use thru 12/10/04

A 73664 06-10-04

Chi Chi's
Hot Garden Seasoning
Condimento DE salsa
Picante Jardin
860-0534

Net weight 11.9 ozs.

Manufactured for
Prandium INC
Irvine CA 92612

You need to send me one of the bags for testing purposes

Is there any way of finding out what the breakdown of ingredients are in the micture?
Linn427
Junior Burger
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2005/10/19 23:16:14 (permalink)
quote:
Is there any way of finding out what the breakdown of ingredients are in the micture?

Maybe pouring the mixture through a variety of sifters would seperate the ingredients enough to weigh them individually?
Y2Jin99
Junior Burger
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2005/10/20 03:55:45 (permalink)
You want a bag?
just email me your address to Y2Jin99@aol.com

there are no ingredients listed on this package
its been in my cupboard since last year

its only powder so not sure of the use by 12/10/04 expiration date

if we use a year later will we get sick ha ha

anyway if I send you this i hope you keep us all abreast of
what you were able to figure out and the final
outcome

list us exactly what we need and how much of each to make a batch

Deal?

Peace

Mike
Y2Jin99
Junior Burger
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2005/10/20 04:12:26 (permalink)
well I called the # listed on the prandium website
left a voice message for someone to call me back
but I doubt they will
there website hasnt been updated since 2/03
asked them if there was anyway to purchase the packets
or get the ingredients to make the restaurant version of the salsa
told them to get in touch with the former owners and make them re-open Chi Chi's LOL
the restaurant that I went to in Jersey is still there abandoned for 10-12 months
How many steakhouses do you actually need?
Outback is already a couple miles down the road.
My town dont need another.
This is a waste!
I miss the steak and shrimp fajitas too.
They taste like garbage at Jose Tejas which is across the street from the old Chi Chi's
there business is always booming however
Linn427
Junior Burger
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2005/10/20 22:24:55 (permalink)
quote:
its only powder

Have you opened one yet? I'm wondering just how many ingredients they managed to squeeze into the packet. From a quality control aspect, it makes sense that they would have tried to limit the number of items the restaraunt workers had to measure. This is just a guess, but I think they could have included everything in the spice packet except for the tomatoes, onions, and lime juice. That's assuming they used dried cilantro and dried peppers or pepper seeds.

I'd be willing to attempt to analyze a packet. Every trip I made to Chi Chis I fished around in my salsa trying to figure out what was in there, and what wasn't. As of yet though, I haven't tried to duplicate it.

By the way, they turned our Chi Chis into a Cheeseburger in Paradise---curse them!!!
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2005/10/22 14:55:29 (permalink)
You all know that there are LOTS of great real Mexican salsa recipe sources out there, dont you???? Sure SOMEONE has a recipe thats as good as CHiChi's---i know I DO!
Katrinks24
Junior Burger
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2005/11/04 15:34:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Linn427

quote:
its only powder

Have you opened one yet? I'm wondering just how many ingredients they managed to squeeze into the packet. From a quality control aspect, it makes sense that they would have tried to limit the number of items the restaraunt workers had to measure. This is just a guess, but I think they could have included everything in the spice packet except for the tomatoes, onions, and lime juice. That's assuming they used dried cilantro and dried peppers or pepper seeds.

I'd be willing to attempt to analyze a packet. Every trip I made to Chi Chis I fished around in my salsa trying to figure out what was in there, and what wasn't. As of yet though, I haven't tried to duplicate it.

By the way, they turned our Chi Chis into a Cheeseburger in Paradise---curse them!!!

You are correct about tomatoes & onions. As a server at ChiChi's, I would often cut lemons as prep work back in the kitchen where they made the salsa. When we were closing, one of the cooks showed me how, unfortunately I don't remember the exact recipe. It was probably 3 or 4 lbs of tomatoes (not romas, just regulars) that went though an industrial dicer (saving the juice & seeds). I believe the tomato to onion ratio was 2:1 (cups). The spice packet is for a HUGE amount of salsa - we're talking 2 to 3 gallons. I'm not sure on the chiles - I remember it being beefsteak tomatoes, white onions, spice packet. Even the cooks didn't know what was in it. Cumin, cayenne, oregano, dried cilantro, garlic - these I know for sure. Everything else is an experiment. Good luck trying to get any word from Prandium - tehy can't even verify that I was empoyed there - I doubt they'll be concerned over salsa. :( I miss it too - I used to bring home to-go bowls of the stuff all the time.

If anyone misses the Cotija ranch dressing, just mix up Hidden Valley Ranch (make it homemade with the packet - 2 packets' worth) and crumble up a round of cotija cheese in the dressing. It will keep for only about two weeks though!
ozzietrd
Junior Burger
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2006/01/05 11:49:15 (permalink)
I too have searched for an authentic Chi-chi's hot salsa recipe: I tried the following recipe, using the "red hot salsa" alteration listed at the end of the recipe. The only thing I changed was to add the garlic without blanching first, and I used a 16oz. can of chunky diced plum tomatoes in place of the fresh.I then placed all ingredients into a blender (or food processor), and pulsed about 5 times. You can make it chunkier or finer depending on your preference. Also, you might want to add a teaspoon of crushed red pepper. Chi-chi-s hot salsa definately had the crushed red pepper.The coriander, (cilantro) and lime juice are crucial! Letting it stand for an hour is another important step to alow the flavors development. I don't think you will be disappointed with this recipe!!! Happy munching! Basic Salsa
Course : Salsas
Serves: 2

Ingredients:

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 Whole clove garlic
1 lb Ripe plum tomatoes, cored
-and finely diced but not
-peeled
1/2 small Red onion, finely chopped
1/4 c Minced fresh cilantro OR
1/4 c Minced flat leaf parsley,
-plus 1/2 tsp ground
-coriander
1 tb Lime juice
1/4 ts Salt
1/4 ts black pepper

Preparation:
Keep this savory sauce on hand as a dip for taco chips, a topping for scrambled eggs, or an accompaniment for Tex Mex dishes Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 2 minutes. Drop the garlic into a small saucepan of boiling water. Let boil,uncovered, over moderate heat for 2 minutes. Drain well, then mince. Place the minced garlic in a medium sized bowl and mix in the tomatoes,onion, coriander, lim juice, and salt. Cover with plastic food wrap and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Transfer the mixture to a 1 quart preserving jar. Keeps in the refrigerator for 10 days. Makes 2-1/3 cups. RED HOT SALSA: Increase the garlic to 2 cloves, the lime juice to 1-1/2 tbsp, and add 1 tbsp chopped jalapeno pepper and 1/4 tsp red pepper sauce. Proceed as directed. Makes 2-1/3 cups. **Wash hands after handling the pepper**

jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1253
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2006/01/05 12:31:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ozzietrd

I too have searched for an authentic Chi-chi's hot salsa recipe: I tried the following recipe, using the "red hot salsa" alteration listed at the end of the recipe. The only thing I changed was to add the garlic without blanching first, and I used a 16oz. can of chunky diced plum tomatoes in place of the fresh.I then placed all ingredients into a blender (or food processor), and pulsed about 5 times. You can make it chunkier or finer depending on your preference. Also, you might want to add a teaspoon of crushed red pepper. Chi-chi-s hot salsa definately had the crushed red pepper.The coriander, (cilantro) and lime juice are crucial! Letting it stand for an hour is another important step to alow the flavors development. I don't think you will be disappointed with this recipe!!! Happy munching! Basic Salsa

Ingredients:

1 Whole clove garlic
-peeled
-plus 1/2 tsp ground
-coriander
1 tb Lime juice
1/4 ts Salt
1/4 ts black pepper

Preparation:
Keep this savory sauce on hand as a dip for taco chips, a topping for scrambled eggs, or an accompaniment for Tex Mex dishes Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 2 minutes. Drop the garlic into a small saucepan of boiling water. Let boil,uncovered, over moderate heat for 2 minutes. Drain well, then mince. Place the minced garlic in a medium sized bowl and mix in the tomatoes,onion, coriander, lim juice, and salt. Cover with plastic food wrap and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Transfer the mixture to a 1 quart preserving jar. Keeps in the refrigerator for 10 days. Makes 2-1/3 cups. RED HOT SALSA: Increase the garlic to 2 cloves, the lime juice to 1-1/2 tbsp, and add 1 tbsp chopped jalapeno pepper and 1/4 tsp red pepper sauce. Proceed as directed. Makes 2-1/3 cups. **Wash hands after handling the pepper**

Here's my recipe for ChiChi's Hot Salsa.

1. Drive to Kroger.
2. Go in.
3. Find "ethnic" aisle, a sort of Kroger food ghetto for Italian, Asian, Hispanic, and Jewish foods.
4. Take jar of ChiChi's Hot Salsa off of shelf.
5. Go to checkout counter; try to get the little blonde girl who's so fast and cheerful.
6. Pay for salsa.
7. Go home.
8. Eat salsa with tortilla chips.
9. Wish you had gone to Rincon Mexicano for their fresh salsa or made your own at home.
opeth2112
Junior Burger
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2006/01/05 13:24:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

quote:

Ingredients:

1 Whole clove garlic
-peeled
-plus 1/2 tsp ground
-coriander
1 tb Lime juice
1/4 ts Salt
1/4 ts black pepper

Preparation:

1. Drive to Kroger.
2. Go in.
3. Find "ethnic" aisle, a sort of Kroger food ghetto for Italian, Asian, Hispanic, and Jewish foods.
5. Go to checkout counter; try to get the little blonde girl who's so fast and cheerful.
6. Pay for salsa.
7. Go home.
9. Wish you had gone to Rincon Mexicano for their fresh salsa or made your own at home.

Your first mistake was going to Kroger - your second was not replying with anything beneficial. You are now dismissed - thanks for playing.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2415
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2006/01/05 13:34:27 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ingredients:

1 Whole clove garlic
-peeled
-plus 1/2 tsp ground
-coriander
1 tb Lime juice
1/4 ts Salt
1/4 ts black pepper

Preparation:

1. Drive to Kroger.
2. Go in.
6. Pay for salsa.
7. Go home.

Your first mistake was going to Kroger - your second was not replying with anything beneficial. You are now dismissed - thanks for playing.

roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2006/01/06 21:15:17 (permalink)
www.chichissalsa.com
I couldnt find any recipe there....
However, I gave it my best shot....
Y2Jin99
Junior Burger
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2006/01/10 00:00:44 (permalink)
Which guy on here is the one with the friend from Purdue university?
I am ready to mail out the bag to be tested.
So we can figure out exactly how to make and what makes up the powder.

Lost your email

Mike
Linn427
Junior Burger
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2006/01/11 21:47:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Y2Jin99

Which guy on here is the one with the friend from Purdue university?
I am ready to mail out the bag to be tested.
So we can figure out exactly how to make and what makes up the powder.

If you find out what's in the bag, hopefully we can get the rest of the recipe from Regina4. Check this thread: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6042
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1253
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2006/01/13 12:35:19 (permalink)
quote:

Hmmmm.....so the "anyone" in the title of this thread means "anyone who just loves salsa from Chi Chi's"?

Which I must add, in honor of my fellow Cincinnnatian TJ Jackson, is a chain.
opeth2112
Junior Burger
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2006/01/14 01:24:35 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Hmmmm.....so the "anyone" in the title of this thread means "anyone who just loves salsa from Chi Chi's"?

Which I must add, in honor of my fellow Cincinnnatian TJ Jackson, is a chain.

It's not the chain thing I was responding to - it's that Kroger is one of the most expensive grocery stores around. Besides that, the topic is salsa 'recipe' - not salsa 'witty banter no one asked for'.

Y2Jin99 - I sent you an email regarding a package of of the mysterious powder but I don't have a friend at Purdue. Was there another person who sent you email about finding out what is in it.

There should be a government office you could send things to. Just put a little in an envelope and send it to someone in the government - you could find out what the ingredients were on the 6 o'clock news.
fcominsky
Junior Burger
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2006/01/18 16:20:23 (permalink)
http://moncom.net/moncomrecipemsgs.asp?topictoview=4

If this link comes up okay, check it out. They are discussing the amounts of the other items that go with the seasoning packet.
chichiex
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2006/01/29 13:15:13 (permalink)
Everyone is wrong. I worked at chi-chi's for ten years. In the beginning they did everything from scratch, but by the end they were doing "fast prep" with spice packets to aid in consistency.

Mild salsa is not made with stewed tomatoes. It is equal parts of canned petite diced tomatoes and crushed tomatoes. Then you add diced, canned green chili's, diced onions, diced green onions, and any kind of taco seasoning pack will work. You may want to add a little more salt. This was a very mildly flavored, mostly tomato tasting salsa.

If you make it like this it will come out

1- 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
1- 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 medium onion diced
2 small cans of diced green chile's
1 bunch diced green onions
1 package of taco seasoning
That's pretty much it.

The original hot salsa, was almost the same except that it had canned pickled jalapenos diced up and added to it. That's all

The fresh salsa that came around years later was very much fresh ingredients. People who think canned tomatoes were in this product are very wrong. The reason it had a saucy texture to it was because 1/3 of the ingredients were put in a blender with the seasoning and the lime juice. The main flavoring was the cilantro.
The correct name for the salsa is Fresh Garden Salsa.
I make it all of the time and people constantly ask me for the recipe.
You won't get any closer than this:
15 Roma (Plum) tomatoes- fresh. Dice (always this kind of tomato-because of the texture)
1 bunch of cilantro including stems-chopped fine with food processor, mini chopper or knife if you have to.
1 large onion diced
2 fresh serrano peppers (habaneros will be too hot, jalapenos too mild)
3 cloves of garlic peeled
1 bunch green onions chopped (green and white parts)
2 limes or about 1/4 cup of lime juice (microwave the limes for about 30 seconds to get more juice and then roll them on a cutting board before cutting and squeezing them)
1 tbsp salt
3 tbsp. cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp garlic powder or granulated garlic
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp. sugar

After dicing tomatoes, put about 1/3 of them in a blender with the serrano peppers, garlic, lime juice and all of the spices. Blend them until it is a pinkish orangish looking thick liquid...it looks pretty gross. Mix it back into the rest of the ingredients.

One thing-tomatoes have different textures at different times of the year. For intance the tomatoes right now are very "mealy" and when you diced them they are almost spongey feeling. When this happens, you may need to add a little water to the recipe which in turn you may have to bulk up the spices a tiny bit. Let the recipe set for a few hours in the refrig. before you determine this...we always struggled with this when the tomatoes were bad. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

FaerieLuna
Junior Burger
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2006/02/06 22:41:00 (permalink)
Seeing that you are a 10 year Chi-Chi's veteran, can you shed any light on how to make the "Calypso Ranch" that was Chi Chi's house dressing? It was my favorite and I used to buy pints of it, as well as the salsa, to bring home.

Thanks!
lisasings
Junior Burger
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2006/02/10 10:03:42 (permalink)
Hello chichiex,

You seem to be the keeper of the answers we've all been looking for so I have a similar request. There was a "special" salsa that was not put out with chips but kept in the refrigerator unless you knew to ask for it at the Chi-Chi's in Wilkes-Barre PA. I was friends with a waitress and she turned me on to it. It was super hot and more green than red. It looked like mostly peppers and onions. I loved this salsa and most folks don't even know what I'm talking about. Can you help with info on how to make?
chichiex
Junior Burger
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2006/02/13 21:27:34 (permalink)
Hi,
Some disappointment now. The House Recipe dressing came in a bottle already made. The green Salsa was the Extra Hot Salsa. We also got that in already made. I know it was a Salsa Verde made from diced hot green chili's like you would get from a can. Sorry I can't help more than that.
lisasings
Junior Burger
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2006/02/14 16:25:54 (permalink)
Thanks for the info! You woulnd't happen to know which company they got their food from--like Sysco, US Foodservice, etc.?
chichiex
Junior Burger
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2006/02/14 17:39:26 (permalink)
Sygma which is the owned by Sysco and handles the chain business. It is based in Harrisburg PA. It is operated as its own company.
dawnrcrandall
Junior Burger
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2006/03/10 13:44:10 (permalink)

For those of you who say go to the grocery store and buy it have obviously never eaten at Chi Chi's.... I also worked for Chi Chi's as a waitress/bartender for 4 years and also loved their garden fresh hot salsa. I've searched for years to find anything similar and have not found anything close. I lived in Texas for a while and tried many different home-made hot salsa recipes that were good but not the same. I would love to have the recipe, I would definitaly use it all the time and give up the one i use.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Chi-Chi's Hot Salsa Recipe anyone??? 2006/03/10 14:30:05 (permalink)
I just make my own, and vary between red and green, using tomatillo's.
It is so much better than store bought, and you can vary the heat within the same batch for those who like it hotter, or milder....
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5