Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Davidsanders
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1232
2015/11/12 00:57:21 (permalink)

Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah.

Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah, October 26-November 4, 2015

Monday, October 26th

Having anticipated this CSO tour for months and months, it was with great anticipation that I made my first trip to Kansas City. The three concerts we were playing were in Kansas City, Ann Arbor and Chapel Hill. The week began in Chicago with a double rehearsal, and the Orchestra left the following day. Deciding to take advantage of the situation, I left for the airport immediately following the rehearsals, and arrived in Kansas City at around 9:45 p.m. Having taken into consideration the recommendations and comments I had received from many Roadfood regulars, I headed directly for Gates Barbecue, the only place I could find that was open late enough for me to get in an “extra” barbecue meal.  

I arrived at Gates at about 11:15 p.m.,  full of anticipation for my first taste of Kansas City Barbecue, something I had been looking forward to for several years, since I started on my modest quests to find great barbecue. While some of it was pretty good, overall I was fairly disappointed. Since they wouldn't do a combo plate that included burnt ends, and since burnt ends are what I had heard that Kansas City was famous for, I had to basically get two meals. I got the ribs (even though it had been suggested to me that I skip them) and the burnt ends sandwich, without the bread.

I loved the sign.

Order of barbecue ribs. The ribs were tasty, but I didn't like the way they were smothered in sauce. I think I was supposed to ask for the sauce on the side, but I forgot. They tasted very good, but I wasn't overwhelmed. 

Burnt ends sandwich, without the bread. I need to say that these were basically inedible. They were shredded, which I didn't expect, and they were just full of pieces of bone and gristle, with big chunks of fat. I thought if this was Kansas City burnt ends, I wouldn’t be having any more of them. If you look closely at the photo I think you can see the fat and bone.

Wonderful baked beans, my favorite part of the meal.

Pretty good onion rings.

I finished my meal at just before midnight and found my way to the Orchestra hotel,  which was a very nice Westin, at Crown Center.

One thing that hadn't been planned was that the first game of the World Series was the next night, during the Orchestra’s concert. The hotel was overrun by people who had come in for the game.

More to come.....
post edited by Davidsanders - 2015/11/12 01:34:33

46 Replies Related Threads

Davidsanders
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 01:07:25 (permalink)

Tuesday, October 27th

I felt pretty bad all night and the next morning after eating so much so late the night before. My original plan had been to go to SLAP’s at about 11 a.m. and then KC Joe’s at around 2, since dinner wouldn't be until after the concert that night. I sat at a Starbucks for over an hour, contemplating skipping both lunches, and holding out just for the late dinner. I started to recover, and I'm so glad I did. Even though the lines at SLAP’s were supposed to be pretty bad if you don't get there early, I got lucky. I got there a little after noon, and at least there was no line out the door. There were only a couple of people in line in front of me. I was looking at the menu trying to decide what to get, resigned to give up on the burnt ends. The person in front of me, however had ordered the burnt ends, and I could see them as they were put on his tray. This was completely different. So I asked their opinion as to what I should order and went with the ribs and burnt ends combo. I got the highly recommended (thank you Buddy Roadhouse) potato casserole, beans and an extra side of hush puppies, and found my way to a table. This was a great lunch, and easily the best meal of my stay in Kansas City.

The ribs were very good. I tried the sauces which were good, but I used very little of them, because the meat just didn't need much at all.

The burnt ends were among the best things I have ever eaten. They were incredibly tender and moist, like eating a fine filet. I don't remember if the restaurant even had knives, but I know I didn't need one.

The potato casserole was spectacular.

The hush puppies were good. I realized in thinking about this report that this was the only barbecue restaurant that even offered them. 

The beans were just okay.

More to come.....
    post edited by Davidsanders - 2015/11/12 01:35:50
    Davidsanders
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 01:13:48 (permalink)
    Tuesday, October 27th, continued

With the way I had been feeling last night and this morning, I decided not to press my luck, so I canceled my plans to go to KC Joe’s. I still had a concert to play and a dinner to go to. I spent a little while Tuesday afternoon at the incredible World War I Museum. What a fabulous place.

Dinner Tuesday night was going to be at Jack Stack’s barbecue. It turned out that there was a branch of this famous barbecue restaurant quite close to our hotel, and to the concert hall. I arranged with our management to have our bus back to the hotel bring a group of orchestra members to Stack’s after the concert, which fortuitously was at 7 p.m. The restaurant was open until 10, and in my many conversations with them, they assured me that if we got in the door before 10, they would serve us. They were very gracious about it, and as my original reservation of 20 increased finally to 53, including our music director Riccardo Muti, they rolled with the punches. After a concert at the Kauffman Preforming Arts Center, in one of the best halls we’ve played in in the US, we arrived at Stack’s at about 9:40. There weren't a lot of people in the restaurant when we arrived, most likely due to the World Series game. About 10 from our group had decided not to participate, so our party was about 43.

This was the sign on the Orchestra bulletin board.

The restaurant sign.

One of my colleagues, bass player Rob Kassinger, showing his approval and happiness at our arrival at the restaurant. 

Since I had organized the “event”, when I made my way through the crowd, Maestro Muti’s assistant grabbed me and told me to sit at his table. It was a memorable evening, even though he ordered rosemary and lemon broiled chicken and wouldn't try the onion rings or burnt ends that I tried to share with him.

A pretty bad picture of world-renowned conductor Riccardo Muti, with a tower of onion rings (that he didn’t touch) in front of him.

I went around to the tables, advising my colleagues on what I had heard would be the things to order. I think everyone had a really great time.

My combo of baby back ribs and burnt ends, with beans and slaw.

Close-up of the burnt ends. These were quite good, and I enjoyed them very much. But they weren’t in the same league as the ones from SLAP’s.

Close-up of the baby backs. These were excellent. 

More to come.....
    post edited by Davidsanders - 2015/11/12 01:36:48
    Davidsanders
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 01:32:28 (permalink)
    Wednesday, October 28th

The next day, Wednesday, was our free day for the tour. We got to spend it in Kansas City, which I was thrilled about. I had arranged to go to Arthur Bryant’s for lunch with two colleagues, Rob Kassinger, and another bass player, Roger Cline. We got there fairly early, and luckily there wasn’t much of a line. When I turned around a few minutes later there was a line out the door.

My combo of ribs and burnt ends. I really liked the ribs a lot. The burnt ends were good, but I didn’t like the fact that they were cooked in the sauce, or at least covered with sauce. They also weren’t in the same league as the ones at SLAP’s. 

Order of good fries that we shared.

My side of beans and slaw. Both were good.

Rob with his order of the special: rib tips and beans.

Close-up of the rib tips and beans.

Roger’s pulled pork sandwich.

After lunch, Rob went off to visit the area in Kansas where his parents were from, and Roger and I went to the highly recommended Upper Crust Pike Bakery. I’m glad we did!

Me at the window.

A very good piece of blueberry pie.

After the pie, Roger and I went back to the World War I museum.

More to come.....
    Davidsanders
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 01:45:32 (permalink)
    Wednesday, October 28th, continued

For dinner, I went with a group of four of my colleagues to Stroud’s, which, of course, had been very highly recommended. Worried again about a long wait, we went fairly early. It turned out that the restaurant was pretty empty, due to the second game of the World Series.

What a great setting for a restaurant. 

We were warned by the waitress that there would be tons of food. I started with this very good salad.

The arrival of the food, served family style, even though we ordered separately. Every side dish that was ordered, even if it was only ordered by one person, came in a serving size big enough for the whole table. 

First platter of chicken.

Second platter of chicken, with one person’s baked potato.

Additional sides.

As everyone who has been to, or read about Stroud’s knows, they are famous for their cinnamon rolls. Here was the basket they brought to the table. They offered to bring us a second basket at the end of the meal, but we declined.

A close-up of my cinnamon roll.

While I enjoyed the experience of Stroud’s very much, I was so overwhelmed by the quantity of food, and the horror of how much we had to leave, it kind of put a damper on the evening. We all had ordered the three piece dinners, and I had one huge breast and one wing, and couldn’t begin to eat any more. I think my colleagues ate even less than I did, so we must have had at least 8 or 10 pieces left over. One of my colleagues brought back one piece to give to another colleague in the Orchestra, but he didn’t want it. So she offered it to the person at the front desk of the hotel, who was thrilled to get it. I wish we had brought it all back with us and offered it to anyone who was in the lobby. I will also say, and I’m sure this is sacrilege, that while I thought the chicken was very good, it certainly isn’t my favorite fried chicken. As a summation, I will also say that while I did enjoy the Kansas City barbecue that I had, it’s not my favorite barbecue. While all of it (except Gate’s) was very good, I didn't find it extraordinary, except for the burnt ends at SLAP’s, which, as I said, were among the best things I have ever eaten.

More to come....
    Davidsanders
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 01:58:50 (permalink)

Thursday, October 29th

On Thursday we left Kansas City and took our charter flight to Ann Arbor. Not exactly a barbecue capital, but you have to go where the concerts are! I did have one extraordinary Roadfood experience. I had read the Roadfood review, and remembered seeing on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives, Krazy Jim’s Blimpy Burgers. It was about a ten minute walk from the hotel, in a very cold wind. But boy, was it worth it. After all the barbecue, it was a pleasant change.

Great sign inside the restaurant.

My triple, with olives and bacon.

And the superb onion rings.

After the concert I went with a friend to Sava’s, a restaurant very close to the concert hall and the hotel, which was open late. I had the lobster rolls appetizer, and the roasted potatoes. Both were good.

More to come.....

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9342
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 08:04:32 (permalink)
    Excellent job combining business and Roadfooding, David!

I recognize Stroud's north location (I think the empty table in the foreground of your photo is where my wife and I sat), but which Gates and Jack Stack restaurants did you visit?  IIRC you were staying near KC's performing arts center.
    ChiTownDiner
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5394
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 08:19:29 (permalink)

Amazing report David!  The first two stops offer such a contradiction in BBQ, it makes you wonder if the late night stop covered the ribs in sauce (that may have been a record) and chopped the burnt ends to mask meat items that had been around all day and were no longer fresh.  I often worry about arriving near closing time, and for certain restaurants (buffet style), arriving to early as it is probably yesterday's food reheated. 

Slap's looked almost as perfect as you could ask for!  That Roadhouse guy knows how to eat...and the potato casserole, OMG! 

Pretty cool table company with Riccardo Muti...perhaps a first for Roadfood combos! 
    leethebard
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10395
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 09:13:38 (permalink)
    Wow...the old me would have spent hours at the table at Strouds....amazing!!!
    ChiTownDiner
    Sirloin
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 09:27:22 (permalink)
    With regard to the pie shop, their motto of "Pie Fixes Everything" pretty much sums it all up!  Great looking slice of pie!

Krazy Jim's burgers look good but the rings must have been ridiculous! 

Davidsanders
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 09:38:40 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    Excellent job combining business and Roadfooding, David!

I recognize Stroud's north location (I think the empty table in the foreground of your photo is where my wife and I sat), but which Gates and Jack Stack restaurants did you visit?  IIRC you were staying near KC's performing arts center.

The Gates location was at 1221 Brooklyn. Stack's was the one at the Freight House. (I had to look up IIRC, but yes, we were staying very close to the performing arts center.)
    Interestingly about the burnt ends at Gates, one of my colleagues went to a Gate's on our free day and had the burnt ends sandwich, which he loved. He said they were also shredded, which I found odd, since all the other burnt ends I had in KC, and the one place I've had them in Chicago all had them in chunks.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1757
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 09:56:13 (permalink)
    David, what a great trip and report so far. Can't wait until you get to the South. You said the lobster rolls were an appetizer at Sava's, they sure look full size in the photo. Or are they just finger sized rolls. What was the price?
    You also commented that the fried chicken and barbeque were not the best you've ever had. Very curious to hear your bests. Thanks.
    Davidsanders
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 10:27:59 (permalink)
    signman
    David, what a great trip and report so far. Can't wait until you get to the South. You said the lobster rolls were an appetizer at Sava's, they sure look full size in the photo. Or are they just finger sized rolls. What was the price?
    You also commented that the fried chicken and barbeque were not the best you've ever had. Very curious to hear your bests. Thanks.

The lobster rolls were smallish. The two might have equaled one full-sized roll.
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5842
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 11:17:18 (permalink)
    David - Great report. I'm struggling to understand how 50 musicians will fit into Allen & Sons.
    ChiTownDiner
    Sirloin
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 12:13:50 (permalink)
    JRPfeff
    David - Great report. I'm struggling to understand how 50 musicians will fit into Allen & Sons.

Laps...
    phlmaestro
    • Total Posts : 1115
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 13:03:42 (permalink)
    This is a great report. I've never seen Muti as a road-food type, so I'm not surprised he laid off the onion rings! He was known to have certain favorite Italian restaurants here in Philly when he was music director.
    For years, one of the Italian restaurants near the Academy of Music would run print ads with a photo of the owner standing between Muti and Pavarotti. 
    Davidsanders
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 13:14:36 (permalink)

Friday, October 30th

Today we took our charter flight from Ann Arbor to Chapel Hill. I had arranged with the management for the bus that went from the airport to the hotel to continue on to Allen and Son, one of my favorite barbecue restaurants. Since North Carolina barbecue is so different than Chicago, and also Kansas City barbecue, I knew my colleagues would find it interesting. Since we were arriving at the hotel at around 2:30 and had an 8:00 concert, it was a bit of a tight schedule. Many of us get to the concert hall an hour or more before the concert, even though we have played the programs many times before. We had 23 people arrive at Allen’s at about 3 p.m. I think it was a good thing we were so late in the day, because there were very few people in the restaurant. I had been to the restaurant six times before, so I was able to give my colleagues some recommendations as to what to order. In general, everyone found the vinegar-based barbecue very interesting, and very delicious.

This was the sign on our bulletin board in Ann Arbor, before we left for the airport. 

Walking up the steps of the charter. It was damn cold out there! 

Our arrival at Allen and Son. 

A few of my colleagues. 

My lunch. Great barbecue sandwich with slaw, and really good beans. 

Barbecue sandwich with great onion rings. 

Cherry cobbler with homemade ice cream. I liked the barbecue much more than the dessert! 

Banana pudding. 

It was a pleasure to share my great joy of being at this restaurant for the seventh time with my colleagues.

After the concert I had a light dinner at Carolina 1663, the restaurant at the Sheraton. My shrimp po’ boy. 

I believe this was black eyed peas humus. 

We shared a piece of pecan pie with whipped cream. Quite good. 

More to come.....
    Davidsanders
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 13:23:40 (permalink)

Saturday, October 31st

The next day the Orchestra returned to Chicago. My girlfriend, her sister and I stayed in Chapel Hill for the day. We had breakfast at Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen, another one of my favorite places. These biscuits are fabulous.

Sausage biscuit. 

Fried chicken biscuit. 

Bacon biscuit. 

For lunch we made the long drive from Chapel Hill to Farmville, North Carolina, to the wonderful Jack Cobb and Son. 

Since they have no seating inside, we had a little tailgate party. 

I love their hush puppies. 

And their collards. 

A quick trip to Hillsborough and the yarn shop and Matthew’s Chocolate Shop. I didn’t take a picture of the excellent gelato, but this was a picture of their unusual chocolates. 

Dinner Saturday night was at The Pig in Chapel Hill, which I had gone to last May. It was very good, but I forgot to take any pictures. 

More to come.....
    Davidsanders
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 13:30:28 (permalink)

Sunday, November 1st

After another stop at Sunrise Biscuits, we headed towards Charleston. D & H Barbecue was one of the places we had stopped on our first trip to Charleston and Savannah, in January, 2012. I loved it then, and I loved it the two other times I had been there. We hadn’t planned on stopping here, but we just couldn’t resist. I loved it again on this day.

My first plate of great barbecue, great fried chicken (which I prefer to Stroud’s), very good mac and cheese, and absolutely sensational hush puppies. 

A side of very good slaw. 

My second plate. 

My companions’ plates. 

We got to Charleston, and after walking around a bit, we headed for Folly Beach and Loggerhead’s, another place we had gone to in January, 2012. We wanted to get there early enough so it wasn’t too crowded, and so we could eat outside on the deck.

I had the very good fried shrimp, with onion rings and slaw. 

They shared the fried shrimp and oysters appetizers. 

Beer was also involved, but not pictured. It was great to be back here again for my third time. 

More to come.....
    post edited by Davidsanders - 2015/11/12 13:33:32
    kozel
    • Total Posts : 1199
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 13:40:52 (permalink)
    Dave, love the report.  Check your prior post for a duplicate pic labeled Barbecue sandwich with great onion rings.

Davidsanders
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 13:48:12 (permalink)

Monday, November 2nd

We walked around the city quite a bit this morning. Charleston is such a wonderful city.

One of the many beautiful courtyards.

A view of the river.

One of the incredible mansions.

Another view of the river.

After walking around Charleston for hours, we headed to Savannah. After checking into the hotel, and meeting up with Lenore’s daughter Rachel, who was just passing through, we headed for one of my favorite spots in this fantastic city, or anywhere, A.J.’s Dockside, on Tybee Island. It was my third time at this wonderful restaurant.

The view from the outside deck of the restaurant.

My lunch of great fried shrimp, fries and slaw.

Walking on the beach at Tybee Island.

Our evening repast was another one of my favorite places anywhere, Leopold’s Ice Cream Parlor. It has the best pistachio ice cream I have ever had.

More to come.....

post edited by Davidsanders - 2015/11/12 14:00:13
    Davidsanders
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 14:10:57 (permalink)

Tuesday, November 3rd

We started off the day at yet another of my favorite places, Back in the Day Bakery. Rachel was headed back to work in St. Augustine, so we got an early start. I don’t know how it’s possible that I got no pictures at all this time at this fabulous place. We were extremely lucky that they had the biscuits, because they are among my favorite biscuits of all time. 

This is a picture of the biscuits from my first visit, in April, 2014. If anything, they were even better this time.

We went back later in the day, and sampled a fabulous bread pudding (so I’m told; I’m not a fan), a couple of blackberry muffins which were very good, a wonderful donut biscuit, a good cupcake, some lavender cookies, etc. 

Savannah is one of the great walking cities, including the walk down to River Street.

I made it! Not bad for an old man.

The real reason for heading down to the river. The beignets at Huey’s on the River.

I liked this sign, although we didn’t go in.

Late lunch/dinner was at Sandfly Barbecue. I had read about it and thought it would be good to try, instead of going back to Wiley’s, where I had been three times already. It was definitely worth trying, and I would likely go back, although I think I prefer Wiley’s.

This was supposed to be a four-rib plate. There were definitely more than four! The onion rings were really good.

My companions shared this rib plate (also supposed to be four) and a pulled pork sandwich (no picture). Everyone enjoyed this experience very much.

We ended the evening with a return trip to Leopold’s, where I had another double scoop of pistachio. I just can’t get over how wonderful this ice cream is.

More to come.....
    post edited by Davidsanders - 2015/11/12 14:12:35
    Davidsanders
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 14:22:07 (permalink)

Wednesday, November 4th

Before heading back to Chicago (and Lenore to Virginia), we returned to Back in the Day Bakery this morning, and enjoyed more of their fabulous biscuits, some great blueberry biscones, and a couple of pumpkin crunch bars, which we took to go for the trip home.

Around lunch time we were near Spartanburg, South Carolina, and checked the Garmin to see what barbecue might be nearby. We got off the expressway at Inman and headed towards the Pig Out BBQ. We certainly would never have found it without the help of the Garmin. It was certainly worth trying, and the pulled pork sandwich with slaw was very good.

Our final meal of the trip was at the Skyline Chili in Florence, Kentucky. I really love Skyline, and it was a pleasure to have it again.

This was a great (but short) tour, and a wonderful vacation. Some of the food was outstanding, some was not, but I love trying new places and returning to ones that have become my favorites.

Here is my summary, such that it is:

My favorites:
    AJ’s Dockside
    Allen and Son Barbecue
    SLAP’s Barbecue
    D & H Barbecue
    Jack Cobb and Son Barbecue
    Leopold’s Ice Cream Parlor
    Back in the Day Bakery
    Huey’s on the River
    Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen
    Krazy Jim’s Blimpie Burgers

Runners up:
    Jack Stack’s Barbecue
    Arthur Bryant’s Barbecue
    Sandfly Barbecue
    Stroud’s
    Skyline Chili
    Upper Crust Pie Bakery

Very good:
    The Pig Barbecue
    Loggerhead’s
    The Pig Out
    Sava’s Ann Arbor
    Carolina 1663 in the Sheraton Hotel
    Matthew’s Chocolate Hillsborough

A disappointment:
    Gate’s Barbecue

Thanks for reading!

post edited by Davidsanders - 2015/11/12 17:50:08
    ChiTownDiner
    Sirloin
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 16:42:29 (permalink)
    What a great week of Roadfooding!  Thanks for sharing it all! 
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12613
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 17:46:51 (permalink)
    Wonderful stuff David!  You really know how to take advantage of your work and play time.  And to be able to share your love of food and Roadfood with your fellow musicians must have been a great thrill. 

I am disappointed to read that Stroud's did not live up to your expectations.  Of all the beautiful food photos, the one that really made me sit up and take notice was the fried shrimp.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6658
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 17:52:31 (permalink)
    David,
    What a fine Trip Report!

Many thanks for your acknowledgement regarding the KC recommendations.  However, I still feel I may fallen short in my advice.  I steered you toward the Sliced Brisket or Burnt Ends at Gates.  I should have stuck with the sure winner, the Brisket.  The Burnt Ends at almost any 'Que Joint are bound to be hit or miss to some degree by their very nature of being...well...burnt.  Gates' Brisket, OTOH, has been excellent nearly every time in our experience.  I did warn you away from the Ribs, so any dissatisfaction there is on you.

The other shortfall on my part came in my failure to warn you about the portion sizes at Stroud's  They offer an $8.95 "Split Dinner" option which allows you to share a full Fried Chicken Dinner (at regular price) with enough soup or salad and sides for a second person.  This is the regular order for my wife and myself and we still end up with leftovers.

Overall, it looks like you did pretty well for yourself.  You didn't miss anything by skipping KC Joe's, and missing LC's just gives you a reason to go back.  Too funny about Muti refusing to eat Barbecue at a 'Que Joint, albeit a white table cloth version.  His loss and more Smoked meats for you!

Welcome Home.  Next up, we've got to get you out on a Contingent excursion in the near future.

Buddy
    post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2015/11/12 17:53:37
    chickenplucker
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 860
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 17:56:14 (permalink)
    Incredible trip and great photos. Just curious if you ate at the new in town location of Sandfly BBQ or the original store out in Sandfly?
    Davidsanders
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 18:20:24 (permalink)
    chickenplucker
    Incredible trip and great photos. Just curious if you ate at the new in town location of Sandfly BBQ or the original store out in Sandfly?

We were at the Sandfly that you take Skidaway Road to. I didn't realize there was one in town now. I wonder if they're dramatically different.
    chickenplucker
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 860
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 18:25:05 (permalink)
    Very different IMHO. I like the new one because its in a restored diner.
    Davidsanders
    Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Barbecue Tour, plus Charleston and Savannah. 2015/11/12 18:30:54 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    David,
    What a fine Trip Report!

Many thanks for your acknowledgement regarding the KC recommendations.  However, I still feel I may fallen short in my advice.  I steered you toward the Sliced Brisket or Burnt Ends at Gates.  I should have stuck with the sure winner, the Brisket.  The Burnt Ends at almost any 'Que Joint are bound to be hit or miss to some degree by their very nature of being...well...burnt.  Gates' Brisket, OTOH, has been excellent nearly every time in our experience.  I did warn you away from the Ribs, so any dissatisfaction there is on you.

The other shortfall on my part came in my failure to warn you about the portion sizes at Stroud's  They offer an $8.95 "Split Dinner" option which allows you to share a full Fried Chicken Dinner (at regular price) with enough soup or salad and sides for a second person.  This is the regular order for my wife and myself and we still end up with leftovers.

Overall, it looks like you did pretty well for yourself.  You didn't miss anything by skipping KC Joe's, and missing LC's just gives you a reason to go back.  Too funny about Muti refusing to eat Barbecue at a 'Que Joint, albeit a white table cloth version.  His loss and more Smoked meats for you!

Welcome Home.  Next up, we've got to get you out on a Contingent excursion in the near future.

Buddy

Buddy, thank you for your comments.

I imagine even if you had told me to absolutely not get the burnt ends at Gates and go with the brisket, I would have gone with the burnt ends. I really wanted to try them. I know you said to skip the ribs, but I'm glad I tried them. I wish I had asked for a dramatically smaller portion. I don't understand the center cut, small end, large end descriptions, so I just went with what the very nice people told me to order. I believe it was Mrs. Lewis who was sol nice and wanted to wrap everything up for me to go home. I had to explain that I was staying at a hotel.

That's really interesting that you've had such good luck with Gates' burnt ends. Do they always serve them shredded? How do you compare them to the other places that are served in chunks?

Again, if you had told me to have the "split dinner" at Stroud's, I probably would have ignored you! At my own peril!!! I would have thought that I could handle it with no trouble. 

Regarding Muti, I should have mentioned that I'm pretty sure the only reason he came was because he loves the Orchestra so much, and the players, and wanted to be involved with whatever such a big group was doing.

Thanks again for your recommendations. They were very helpful.

David
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5