Helpful ReplyHot!Chicken of the Month

Page: << < ..678 Showing page 8 of 8
  • Total Posts : 10512
Re: Chicken of the Month 2016/09/03 11:43:49 (permalink)
Nice!!  The chicken looks great but those corn cakes look wonderful!!  We have lots of corn now........I'll have to look up a recipe.
  • Total Posts : 7012
Re: Chicken of the Month 2016/10/19 17:57:38 (permalink)
September, 2016
Last month I went over to Delavan to check out Elizabeth's Cafe, a storefront restaurant on the town's historic cobblestone main street.

I started with broccoli soup, although I can't remember if it was "& cheese" or "cream of".  It was very thick but I felt it needed more seasoning as to me the flavor was kind of flat.

Unfortunately the chicken followed that same trend.  While the crust was wonderfully crisp and the meat was juicy, both components were somewhat lacking.

The mashed potatoes and gravy made it a trifecta.  Like the soup the gravy was quite thick but the flavor just felt left behind.

The atmosphere and service were fine, so a little tweaking in the kitchen could IMHO make this a much better meal.
The next day I was out for a drive.  After getting TTM'd at a local supper club I decided to cruise the back roads up toward Jefferson County and when I reached Fort Atkinson I stopped at Sammy's Place, a restaurant I last visited about 5 years ago.  After being seated in the restaurant I ordered an Old Fashioned, reasoning that even though it was only about 2:45 here it was 5:00 somewhere.  My server (Jen) also turned out to be working the bar and she did a good job.

Just like 5 years ago I started with a cup of tasty avga lemena.

The chicken did take some time to cook (a good sign) and when it was delivered I wasn't disappointed.  Crispy, properly cooked and well-seasoned, this is what I'd been hoping for the previous day.

The potatoes and gravy delivered as well.

I guess the weekend was a draw with one minus and one plus, but it definitely finished on an up note!  Some Friday I'm going to have to give Sammy's fish fry a try...
Page: << < ..678 Showing page 8 of 8
Jump to:
© 2016 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5