Helpful ReplyLockedChoose my meal in Indy

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5394
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/06/28 08:32:34 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Ralp and Alice Kramden were from that era, and they were poor and even they went to the Hong Kong Gardens on occasion.

Forgot about them, I had dinner with them once! 
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1342
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/06/28 13:24:30 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
hatteras04
Sorry I can't help with the chicken places, but I did want to ask if you will be going through or near Bloomington.  That's where i grew up and there is a regional specialty there that I like to recommend to out-of-towners.

So spill the beans, man...what is it?!?

Ha.  Sorry didn't mean to make it sound like some big secret.  And It's not something that most people would probably find extraordinary but it is unique to the area and I know Dale looks for that.  Anyways, the name is not original in that it is a stromboli.  But that means something very different in that part of Indiana than anywhere else I've ever been.  In fact, when I went to school in upstate New York and ordered a stromboli I was shocked that they brought me some kind of rolled up pizza thing.  That's not what I wanted.  In Bloomington, a strom, as it is known, is a simple sandwich of crumbled sausage, onions, cheese, and tomato sauce on a crusty roll.  It HAS to be served with sweet pickles.  I  normally hate sweet pickles but they go perfectly with the sandwich as they cut some of the saltiness and fattiness of it.  The best place to get one is at Nick's English Hut, an IU bar right next to campus. But lots of places have them.  I also like Cafe Pizzaria which is just a few doors down.  This link has a picture of one from Nick's.  So check it out if you're ever in town.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_p...blhfRNGUt4OdOsyw 
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/06/28 13:29:34 (permalink)
hatteras04
ScreamingChicken
hatteras04
Sorry I can't help with the chicken places, but I did want to ask if you will be going through or near Bloomington.  That's where i grew up and there is a regional specialty there that I like to recommend to out-of-towners.

Ha.  Sorry didn't mean to make it sound like some big secret.  And It's not something that most people would probably find extraordinary but it is unique to the area and I know Dale looks for that.  Anyways, the name is not original in that it is a stromboli.  But that means something very different in that part of Indiana than anywhere else I've ever been.  In fact, when I went to school in upstate New York and ordered a stromboli I was shocked that they brought me some kind of rolled up pizza thing.  That's not what I wanted.  In Bloomington, a strom, as it is known, is a simple sandwich of crumbled sausage, onions, cheese, and tomato sauce on a crusty roll.  It HAS to be served with sweet pickles.  I  normally hate sweet pickles but they go perfectly with the sandwich as they cut some of the saltiness and fattiness of it.  The best place to get one is at Nick's English Hut, an IU bar right next to campus. But lots of places have them.  I also like Cafe Pizzaria which is just a few doors down.  This link has a picture of one from Nick's.  So check it out if you're ever in town.

What's funny is my friend's kid goes to Indiana U in Bloomington. He's from Northern New Jersey and I asked him out of curiousity once if there was any ethnic diversity. He said two that he could think of- white bread and red neck. It's interesting how folks from my old neck of the woods and even here in Rhode island perceive ethnic diversity in other parts of the country.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/06/28 13:32:48 (permalink)
hatteras04
ScreamingChicken
hatteras04

This will be added to the list...at least my list!  Sounds awesome!  
Lurker
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/06/28 13:55:37 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
hatteras04
ScreamingChicken
hatteras04

This will be added to the list...at least my list!  Sounds awesome!  

are you going  to go before. or after or on another trip?
plb
  • Total Posts : 1192
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/06/28 14:14:11 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Ralp and Alice Kramden were from that era, and they were poor and even they went to the Hong Kong Gardens on occasion.

I think the difference is that they had no kids while lots of families then had 3-4-5 kids to feed. They also had secure government jobs.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9240
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/06/29 05:46:32 (permalink)
hatteras04
ScreamingChicken
hatteras04

Y'know, I seem to remember that when I was growing up in the central part of far northern IL a stromboli might've been a sandwich there, too.  I'm glad the photo shows the pickles on the side, as I was wondering how well they'd work with the other ingredients as part of the sandwich.  Thanks!
schlotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/07/01 12:24:54 (permalink)
Hey Dale!

I was going to Gray Bros cafeteria this Saturday after flying into IND and was looking at their menu.
On Saturday only they have fried chicken and country fried chicken.
I would assume that 'country fried' is 'pan fried'.

http://www.graybroscafe.com/saturday.html

Looks like you can get a 'friend chicken' as well...  

-Boyd
Lurker
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/07/01 12:33:38 (permalink)
schlotz
Hey Dale!

I was going to Gray Bros cafeteria this Saturday after flying into IND and was looking at their menu.
On Saturday only they have fried chicken and country fried chicken.
I would assume that 'country fried' is 'pan fried'.

http://www.graybroscafe.com/saturday.html

Looks like you can get a 'friend chicken' as well...  

-Boyd

Boyd

I'm reserving Gray Bros for either chicken and noodles or beef and noodles. Their menu indicates they have either/or. I'm hoping it's chicken and noodles because I'll be having beef and noodles at the Steer In
phlmaestro
  • Total Posts : 1085
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/07/01 15:38:58 (permalink)
I've never had the noodles at Gray Bros. I'm always afraid they'll fill me up and I won't have room for all of the other things I want to eat there. I think I shared an absolutely massive and very good BPT with two other people the last time I was there a few years ago. I also recommend their sugar-cream pie if you haven't tried it yet.

I have been to Gray Bros. while on trips to visit our friends in Bloomington, but this is the first I've heard of Bloomington's take on a stromboli. I'll have to look for it the next time I'm out there.
Lurker
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/07/01 16:54:16 (permalink)
phlmaestro
I've never had the noodles at Gray Bros. I'm always afraid they'll fill me up and I won't have room for all of the other things I want to eat there. I think I shared an absolutely massive and very good BPT with two other people the last time I was there a few years ago. I also recommend their sugar-cream pie if you haven't tried it yet.

I have been to Gray Bros. while on trips to visit our friends in Bloomington, but this is the first I've heard of Bloomington's take on a stromboli. I'll have to look for it the next time I'm out there.

That's ok, I have Chi Town Diner as my closer
IndianaPete
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 198
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/07/05 16:27:01 (permalink)

Davydd

I could probably tell you when I first had fried chicken, at least that I can remember. It most likely was at an awards dinner for Indianapolis Star newspaper boys at the Indiana State Fair (but not at the fair). I was about 12 or 13 and I was totally unaccustomed to a sit down dinner away from private homes. I started eating the crispy fried chicken with a knife and fork.  My father had to set me straight that you could pick up the chicken.

Once again Davy, I feel like you and I trod the same ground back around the 60s or so.  We're about the same age and share more than a fondness for BPTs.  I too ate my share of fried chicken at the Indy Star quarterly paper boy bashes.  I bet those chicken dinners (remember Lamar Downtain, circulation mgr?) represented about a quarter of my adolescent dining out.

rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1497
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/07/05 17:53:40 (permalink)
A brief update -- my husband and I went to Gray Brothers last Tuesday evening, after we landed at the IND airport. 

I had fried chicken livers (available Tuesdays and Saturdays, I believe) which were very good, although not quite as good as the ones I had at Hollyhock Hill the previous week.  Also had excellent slow-cooked green beans and cherry pie (very good crust, though a little light on the cherries), and a "salad" that was sort of like "five cup salad," with nuts added.  My husband had swiss steak, which he very much enjoyed, and chess pie which he found to be too sweet for his taste.  He also had green beans and macaroni and cheese, which he compared favorably with the macaroni and cheese he had at MCL the week before.  This is the fifth or sixth time I've eaten at Gray Brothers, and they have NEVER had their famous sugar cream pie when I was there. 

I am ambivalent about Gray Brothers. It's got a very pleasant and spacious atmosphere and the food is good.  But I keep comparing it to the late, lamented Laughners, and I just don't think it is on a par with that. Not saying I wouldn't go there again, especially going from or to the airport.  But not sure I'd make a special trip, especially  if it meant giving up Hollyhock Hill.  My husband, on the other hand, for whom this was his first visit, was very enthusiastic about it.

By the way, I do not think the "country fried chicken" on Saturday's menu is pan-fried, as schlotz suggested above. At least, it wasn't when I had a Saturday lunch there several years ago.  It was more like a breaded fried cutlet, or chicken parmigiano without the tomato sauce and the cheese.   
Lurker
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/07/05 18:44:18 (permalink)
rumaki
A brief update -- my husband and I went to Gray Brothers last Tuesday evening, after we landed at the IND airport. 

I had fried chicken livers (available Tuesdays and Saturdays, I believe) which were very good, although not quite as good as the ones I had at Hollyhock Hill the previous week.  Also had excellent slow-cooked green beans and cherry pie (very good crust, though a little light on the cherries), and a "salad" that was sort of like "five cup salad," with nuts added.  My husband had swiss steak, which he very much enjoyed, and chess pie which he found to be too sweet for his taste.  He also had green beans and macaroni and cheese, which he compared favorably with the macaroni and cheese he had at MCL the week before.  This is the fifth or sixth time I've eaten at Gray Brothers, and they have NEVER had their famous sugar cream pie when I was there. 

We're going to be at Joe Huber's later that evening and I'm reserving chicken livers for dinner since Mayor Al used to really enjoy them there, however If Gray brothers doesn't have Chicken and Noodles (which means they'll have beef and noodles instead) then I'm going to check out that Swiss Steak. I checked their Tuesday menu and it's on there! 
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6817
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/07/05 19:31:30 (permalink)
IndianaPete

Davydd

I could probably tell you when I first had fried chicken, at least that I can remember. It most likely was at an awards dinner for Indianapolis Star newspaper boys at the Indiana State Fair (but not at the fair). I was about 12 or 13 and I was totally unaccustomed to a sit down dinner away from private homes. I started eating the crispy fried chicken with a knife and fork.  My father had to set me straight that you could pick up the chicken.

Once again Davy, I feel like you and I trod the same ground back around the 60s or so.  We're about the same age and share more than a fondness for BPTs.  I too ate my share of fried chicken at the Indy Star quarterly paper boy bashes.  I bet those chicken dinners (remember Lamar Downtain, circulation mgr?) represented about a quarter of my adolescent dining out.

The only newspaper person I knew was our local station manager, Lou Vitti. We had to turn in our collections on Saturday morning at a green tin shack in the alley behind Morris Street where the Bell Theater used to be in the West Indianapolis neighborhood. Then I beat it down to the drugstore and bought a candy bar and a few comic books and baseball cards and wondered where all my profits went.  However, I did manage to save enough money to buy my own Schwinn bicycle and a newfangled miniature transistor radio.
IndianaPete
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 198
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/07/05 22:45:57 (permalink)
Davydd
 green tin shack in the alley behind Morris Street where the Bell Theater used to be in the West Indianapolis neighborhood. 

In my senior year of HS, I delivered the complaints/misses by the westside News paperboys.  I visited plenty of those alley shacks to get extra papers when I ran out.

Davydd
 However, I did manage to save enough money to buy my own Schwinn bicycle and a newfangled miniature transistor radio.

Oh gawd, me too !!!  I was rolling in dough, making about 5 bucks a week.  Frequently when I read one of your posts, it's like you're telling about MY life.  Thx for the memories.
schlotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/07/06 10:48:12 (permalink)
rumaki

By the way, I do not think the "country fried chicken" on Saturday's menu is pan-fried, as schlotz suggested above. At least, it wasn't when I had a Saturday lunch there several years ago.  It was more like a breaded fried cutlet, or chicken parmigiano without the tomato sauce and the cheese.   

Rumaki,

Thanks for the correction.  My assumption was indeed incorrect as I verified on a recent visit.

The Good
Breaded Pork Tenderloin - big as the plate; more of a 'chicken fried' batter/crust vs. crispier schnitzel-like
Fried Potatoes - Thin and browned like I like 'em
Meatloaf - moist, well seasoned and substantial; some might find the tomato sauce too ketchupy sweet
Green beans - everyone loved them
All pies were real good - especially the crust - rhubarb, coconut crème, buttermilk chess, peanut butter and chocolate

OK/Not So Good
Rolls - Had been out of the oven for a while
Dressing/Stuffing - uninspired

rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1497
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/08/11 20:09:20 (permalink)
wanderingjew
I'm glad you chimed in Rumaki
I was hoping to hear from you

I looked at one of the earliest Stern's Roadfood Books I believe it was from 1980, and they mentioned yet another Indianapolis Fried Chicken House called the Hill Top On Michigan Avenue.
I know how much you love Hollyhock Hill, but those reviews online about Iron Skillet are just superb. I've got  to try the place because this may be my last "real" visit to Indy. I will be returning to Indy for a quick "in and out meal with Sandra in 2018 for our cross country trip but I have a feeling our only stop will be Gray Brother's Cafeteria.

Just a quick update, WJ.  I am back in Indianapolis this week.  Late in the afternoon, I thought I might pay a visit to Hollyhock Hill, which is very near where I'm staying. I am here on my own and the thought of the whole Hollyhock Hill spread was a little daunting. But, lo and behold, I discovered that on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, they serve an "early bird" dinner option between 4:30 and 5:30 p.m.  You get the lettuce salad with their signature dressing, cottage cheese, and pickled beets, and a plate with green beans, mashed potatoes and your chosen protein (fried chicken, a choice of a couple of kinds of fish, shrimp, or steak), with a bowl of gravy on the side and two biscuits.  Ice cream with the carousel of toppings is also included. I chose white meat fried chicken for $1 extra, which meant I got a breast and a "pulleybone" piece (my favorite!).  I also had a whisky sour, and iced tea or coffee is also included.  The cost for all that was $23 (tax included), and would have been less, obviously, if I'd skipped the alcohol.  The only things missing from the family style spread were the tomato juice, the relish tray, the apple butter (although I think they would have given me some of that had I asked) and the corn (which I never touch, anyway).

I realize a true Roadfooder like you probably would only go for the whole shebang, but for a solo diner like me, this was perfect.  It was still a huge amount of food, and it was all delicious.  The service was great, too.  They were very welcoming to a single diner and the waitress was attentive without overdoing it.  I was really glad I followed my impulse and went there.  It's been a lousy week, and I needed a pick-me-up.

Lurker
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/08/12 07:55:58 (permalink)
rumaki

I'm glad you had the opportunity to visit Hollyhock Hill , especially after a lousy week. I wish I had time to visit on my trip  which officially begins a week from today,  but unfortunately with so many other places to visit, I can't fit it in.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9240
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/08/12 08:31:12 (permalink)
Regardless of where you'll be eating, consider a Champagne Velvet to wash down your meal.  I remember the name from the '70s but it disappeared for quite a few years (I think it possibly wound up as a Falstaff or Associated brand) until Upland revived it.  I had one last Friday and it went well with my somewhat spicy dinner.
Lurker
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/08/12 08:36:24 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Regardless of where you'll be eating, consider a Champagne Velvet to wash down your meal.  I remember the name from the '70s but it disappeared for quite a few years (I think it possibly wound up as a Falstaff or Associated brand) until Upland revived it.  I had one last Friday and it went well with my somewhat spicy dinner.

We'll be in both Broadripple and Carmel
I'm sure ChiBEERS will be all over that!
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/08/12 09:02:04 (permalink)
wanderingjew
ScreamingChicken

We'll be in both Broadripple and Carmel
I'm sure ChiBEERS will be all over that!

ChiBEERS....has such a nice ring to it! 
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 771
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/08/12 12:22:29 (permalink)
I love to stop at Gray Bros on the way down/up to B'town.
Our fave is ABsolutely the BPT- huge and crackling crisp!
Sometimes we will (gasp) share one, 
only so we can then get 3 LOL types of pie (blush)....

Lurker
Re: Choose my meal in Indy 2016/08/12 12:33:36 (permalink)
irisarbor
I love to stop at Gray Bros on the way down/up to B'town.
Our fave is ABsolutely the BPT- huge and crackling crisp!
Sometimes we will (gasp) share one, 
only so we can then get 3 LOL types of pie (blush)....

I was alone when I last went to Gray Brothers 5 years ago. I did order two slices of pie but could only do  half of each, I still don't have the heart to tell buffetbuster what happened to the other half slices of pie.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5