Helpful ReplyHot!Chops in the cornfield

Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 7 of 8
Author
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4840
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/09/29 19:05:23 (permalink)
Tick-tock. Tick-tock.

BUMP.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10007
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/09/29 19:18:05 (permalink)
Ok,  it looks likes a certain displaced cheesehead wants me to finish my trip report. I spent this past weekend in a very cloudy, very muggy and very windy Norfolk, Virginia Beach and Richmond. Found one superb new find called Handsome Biscuit, a couple of new good finds (Nick's Seafood in Virginia Beach and Send A Chef in Richmond) some solid standbys (McClean's in Richmond and Mama J's in Richmond) a couple of old standby's that let me down (Pierce's Pitt in Williamsburg and AW Shucks in Norfolk) and some disappointing BBQ (but amazing hushpuppies) (Smoked from Above in Virginia Beach) and a "just ok" new find (Pollard's Chicken, a mini chain in the Hampton Roads area)

Thinking I would be home at 10:30 PM last night, energized and reinvigorated for work today, I had a mandatory training class dumped on me at the last minute meaning I would have to drive 200 miles to Milford CT because I won't be able to make the training class at my own office next week since Sandra and I will be on vacation next week in San Francisco and Yosemite. So with little sleep for me (anything less than 8 hours is little sleep for me) and a grueling drive, this report will get done before I leave for San Francisco.
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5219
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/09/29 19:23:31 (permalink)
My family and I were very, very disappointed with Nicks Seafood in VA Beach - white tablecloth prices, medium quality seafood paired with low quality sides, in a grimy dinner setting

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22506
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/09/29 19:57:17 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Ok,  it looks likes a certain displaced cheesehead wants me to finish my trip report. I spent this past weekend in a very cloudy, very muggy and very windy Norfolk, Virginia Beach and Richmond. Found one superb new find called Handsome Biscuit, a couple of new good finds (Nick's Seafood in Virginia Beach and Send A Chef in Richmond) some solid standbys (McClean's in Richmond and Mama J's in Richmond) a couple of old standby's that let me down (Pierce's Pitt in Williamsburg and AW Shucks in Norfolk) and some disappointing BBQ (but amazing hushpuppies) (Smoked from Above in Virginia Beach) and a "just ok" new find (Pollard's Chicken, a mini chain in the Hampton Roads area)

Thinking I would be home at 10:30 PM last night, energized and reinvigorated for work today, I had a mandatory training class dumped on me at the last minute meaning I would have to drive 200 miles to Milford CT because I won't be able to make the training class at my own office next week since Sandra and I will be on vacation next week in San Francisco and Yosemite. So with little sleep for me (anything less than 8 hours is little sleep for me) and a grueling drive, this report will get done before I leave for San Francisco.

Well, as long as you're in Milford be sure to visit Gulf Beach to watch the submarine races. They're much better at night.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/09/29 21:21:29 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
wanderingjew

Well, as long as you're in Milford be sure to visit Gulf Beach to watch the submarine races. They're much better at night.

I'm back home already. Milford was a brutal 200 mile round trip day trip. Luckily the training class was under 5 hours and I got to go home early. I'm going to sleep in 10 minutes. I need as much as I can get tonight.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/09/29 21:26:51 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
My family and I were very, very disappointed with Nicks Seafood in VA Beach - white tablecloth prices, medium quality seafood paired with low quality sides, in a grimy dinner setting

I didn't get to have any sides. they weren't available in between shifts nor were the hushpuppies, just fries and slaw. The slaw was good, creamy, obviously homemade, didn't care much for the fries which were not fresh cut. The Crab in Butter was clearly the star of the meal and the Hatteras Clam Chowder was different, a clear broth full of clam, potatos, spices and believe it or not, corn. Lot's of places in VA Beach that are similar to Nick's, it's either that or the overpriced tourist trap seafood buffet restaurants which I didn't want any part of. I almost ended up going to the Beach Pub which was featured on D, D and D but it has been slammed so many times on yelp and even trip advisor since his visit that I was afraid to do so. 
Probably the worst single item I had on the trip was the watery, tasteless Brunswick Stew at Smoked from Above in VA Beach
post edited by wanderingjew - 2015/09/29 21:30:08
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5219
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/09/29 22:15:29 (permalink)
wanderingjew
The Crab in Butter was clearly the star of the meal

this was the exact dish I had, and in fact, I had picked it out as my meal weeks prior to our visit from an online menu

I am glad your plate (or wide shallow bowl, as I recall) was far, far better than mine.

I had the she-crab soup instead of the chowder, and it was unremarkable

The place wasn't just run-down/older (which is fine), it was dirty
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/09/30 07:52:56 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Ok,  it looks likes a certain displaced cheesehead wants me to finish my trip report.

Finish your trip reports in a prompt manner. Don't be like buffetbuster.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/09/30 07:57:15 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
wanderingjew
The Crab in Butter was clearly the star of the meal

this was the exact dish I had, and in fact, I had picked it out as my meal weeks prior to our visit from an online menu

I am glad your plate (or wide shallow bowl, as I recall) was far, far better than mine.

I had the she-crab soup instead of the chowder, and it was unremarkable

The place wasn't just run-down/older (which is fine), it was dirty

The crab in butter was almost identical to an old Roadfood favorite, Lockhart's in Norfolk which was in a few older Roadfood books and closed probably around a decade ago. I didn't find Nick's dirty but it was certainly full of character. I guess you should have gone with the Hatteras chowder, after having She Crab soup in Charleston, I too am very picky about it.

JRPfeff
wanderingjew

Ok,  it looks likes a certain displaced cheesehead wants me to finish my trip report.

Finish your trip reports in a prompt manner. Don't be like buffetbuster.

But buffetbuster is my hero!
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/09/30 19:37:09 (permalink)
Monday September 1 (finale)

Another fine coffee and whole wheat bagel with peanut butter began my day at Zanzibar Coffee Adventures in Des Moines.  I was going to be doing some back tracking into and out of Western Iowa today, my last real day of the trip.
That would mean lunch at another Ayersian recommendation, The Red Barn in Exira 

IMG_7667 by ohso37, on Flickr

When I arrived I was disappointed that half of the items on the menu they didn't have available and that includes several of the items listed on the Roadfood review, but that didn't matter because I was there for one thing and one thing only. Chris (Ayersian) convinced me that The Red Barn's BPT may knock TC's Point After off the top of my list

IMG_7670 by ohso37, on Flickr

Well it didn't exactly knock TC's Point After's bpt off the the number 1 spot but if TC's Point After's BPT is a "10" then The Red Barn's BPT is a 9.9.. This was undoubtedly the 2nd best BPT I've had in Iowa. Thick, juicy, with a fresh crispy breading The sandwich squealed with delight after each bite.. It looks like The Red Barn will find itself on a top 10 list at the end of the year. Driving 75 miles each way for "just lunch" was  certainly worthwhile.

Afterwards I headed about 20 miles east of Des Moines for a snack. If you recall the day before I said I had apple spice on the brain after the amazing ice cream I had at Ted and Wally's
I had initially thought about going to Goldie's Ice Cream Shoppe  to check out their BPT if I had flown into Des Moines instead of Chicago, however those plans had changed.

IMG_7673 by ohso37, on Flickr

Goldie's BPT beat out TC's Point After in the Iowa Pork Producer's selection of the best BPT back in 2009.

Well, no BPT today, but since I'm only a state away from the dairy state. I did decide to get some cheese curds I also out of curiosity looked at their malts  (well they are an ice cream shop) and apple spice popped out from the menu.

The cheese curds were nothing life altering, in fact I suspected they may have been pre fab. they lacked the sharp flavor and squeaky texture that the real ones have

IMG_7681 by ohso37, on Flickr

Unfortunately the spiced apple malt was a pale, anemic version of what I had the day before.

IMG_7677 by ohso37, on Flickr

Well, I would still go back to Goldie's to try their BPT

At this point in the trip, it was beginning to feel alot like my last year's "Dust in the Wind" heartland trip,  temps were now in the low 90's and also getting quite muggy, unlike the cool crisp temps I enjoyed in the beginning of the trip.
So I'm in Prairie City and where else would be the perfect place to go other than the Prairie Learning Center

IMG_7686 by ohso37, on Flickr

An indoor museum with outdoor trails, it was very informative. I wish I could have gotten here earlier as I would have walked more of the trails

IMG_7687 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_7689 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_7690 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_7691 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_7692 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_7693 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_7695 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_7697 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_7683 by ohso37, on Flickr

Before leaving Prairie City, I stopped at a  very interesting antique shop, I could swear the proprietor looked just like the actress that played Johnny Depp and Leonardo DeCaprio's mother in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?"

It was now time for the last meal of the trip, about 40 miles north of Des Moines.
Niland's Cafe in Colo

IMG_7699 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_7700 by ohso37, on Flickr

OK...I will

When I first spoke with Sandra, the owner of Niland's Cafe, I leared that their Iowa Chops are smoked and that their specialty pie is peanut butter pie but that they should have sour cream raisin pie available. I was looking forward to checking out Iowa Chop stop #6- the last stop on the trip.
Walking into the cafe takes you to another era - something straight out of the past.

IMG_7701 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_7704 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_7702 by ohso37, on Flickr

There's even a 1939 Cadillac wedged into the wall

With my meal I had the option of salad or soup, I opted for the hearty but somewhat salty ham and bean soup

IMG_7707 by ohso37, on Flickr

My meal arrived, unfortunately the veggie's are frozen, the mashed potatoes, however were real andwere very good as well as the homemade gravy that they were topped with. Since I had the smoked chop, I thought, how could I go wrong ?, unfortunately the chop although flavorful, was very dry. A disappointment.

IMG_7709 by ohso37, on Flickr

After looking at the pie specials, I knew what I wanted.

IMG_7708 by ohso37, on Flickr

The sour cream raisin pie, more sweet than sour was very reminiscent of the sour cream raisin pie I had at the Coffee Cup in Sully the week before. As you can see, they were certainly not stingy with the raisins.

IMG_7715 by ohso37, on Flickr

Overall Niland's Cafe was a mixed bag

After dinner I dropped my rental car off at the airport and had the hotel van pick me pick me up, I had a very early flight the next morning. I was home (after a 3 hour layover in Chicago) by Wednesday afternoon.

As you all know, i did this trip report at the beckoning of Chi Town Diner and Chi Bears15. With a very stressful job that leaves me mentally and physically drained, and a busy life outside of work, I simply can't do these anymore. It's way too time consuming for me. I will continue to do the "best of lists" at the end of the year and restaurant reviews. But I simply have no down time to continue on....Sorry... 

post edited by wanderingjew - 2015/10/01 18:13:26
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7851
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/09/30 19:49:39 (permalink)
So is it safe to say that your heart's on fire for Exira?  That certainly is an attractive BPT!

I'm pretty sure you'll be doing a trip report after we do some eating in the Louisville vicinity next August.
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11404
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/09/30 21:31:36 (permalink)
I do my reports in Word.  I write a little, add in the HTTP code for the pictures and save it.  Then I write a little more when I can.  It's so much easier that way.

Then when I'm done I copy and paste the entire thing here. 

That's how I do mine all on one post.

Of course I don't cover nearly as much as you do Dale so I really know how much work you put in to your reports.

Your reports are inspiring and I can't wait to do another.  One of these days I might even include a raisin cream pie.  You've sold me on trying one.

hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1284
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/10/01 10:40:29 (permalink)
You don't need to be sorry!  You have provided some wonderful reports and I review them often before trips.  If this is your last one, then it was a great one to end on.  Thanks for taking the time to share it with us and I look forward to future reviews, digest entries and the annual "best of lists."
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11363
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/10/01 11:50:28 (permalink)
hatteras04
You don't need to be sorry!  You have provided some wonderful reports and I review them often before trips.  If this is your last one, then it was a great one to end on.  Thanks for taking the time to share it with us and I look forward to future reviews, digest entries and the annual "best of lists."

Well said. 
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10298
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/10/01 14:46:24 (permalink)
Wonderful report, as always. Looking forward to whatever you share with us.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/10/01 15:40:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2015/10/01 15:51:27
Dale,

I suggest you get CTD to ghost write your reports. He's got plenty of time on his hands. Just send him your pictures and let him make up the rest.

Jim
iceomat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 194
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/10/01 16:19:46 (permalink)
An excellent trip report as usual!

Am I alone in thinking meringue is one of the most useless foodstuffs ever invented? 
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5656
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/10/01 16:45:38 (permalink)
Yes.  What is Lemon Meringue Pie without Meringue?

Buddy
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22506
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/10/01 16:47:28 (permalink)
I think it's a lemon pie.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/10/01 18:21:37 (permalink)
Thanks all for your support. I would enjoy doing these reports if I could just relax and have time to do them the right way. 

This wasn't supposed to be the last big trip of the year, and Richmond/Hampton Roads VA was a spur of the moment short trip. We were supposed to leave for San Francisco tomorrow for what was supposed to be the last big trip of the year, unfortunately we had to cancel the trip because one of Sandra's kids became sick. Luckily we were able to get the Southwest points back in Sandra's account. I was able to cancel the hotels for Yosemite and I have trip protection for the two hotels in San Francisco. I was up at 4am reading the protection coverage policy and did so again this morning at work, have already  submitted a claim and received the forms that I and the doctor need to complete. The words "traveling companion" and "your or traveling companion's immediate family"  in the policy language is all I need 
We talked about rescheduling the trip in the spring if everything is well, if we do, that mean's we won't be joining everyone on the Spring Pittsburgh tour (we/I can't do both) 
And to CTD and Chibears15, no I'm not just going to show up in Louisiana for the bus tour
post edited by wanderingjew - 2015/10/01 18:23:14
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10298
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/10/01 19:03:45 (permalink)
That's too bad about your trip! Glad you were covered!
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5656
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/10/01 20:55:13 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
I think it's a lemon pie.

Okay, but then what?  Are you supposed to eat it naked?  The pie that is not you.  Although...

Shiveringly yours,
Buddy
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/10/02 11:16:47 (permalink)
Dale, I,  for one, will take your reports, if you want to write them, anyway I can get them. As far as I'm concerned, there's no need for you to hurry. Take all the time you like and don't let others pester you.

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7501
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/10/02 12:22:33 (permalink)
Lafayette is a GREAT substitute for San Francissyco.  There are tix available.
You and Sandra may have to bunk with CTD and BB but at least bigboy could come.

On a serious note, thank you for another wonderful adventure, so expertly detailed and explained.  Your trip reports will be missed by many of us here.

Now back to the funny remarks, did you have to order a bpt to go with your pickle sandwich?
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/10/02 12:23:44 (permalink)
mlm
Dale, I,  for one, will take your reports, if you want to write them, anyway I can get them. As far as I'm concerned, there's no need for you to hurry. Take all the time you like and don't let others pester you.

But it is fun to pester him
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 2039
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/10/02 13:29:37 (permalink)
After such a great trip report, can't wait until Yosemite.  Never found much good around there. except a glass of wine in the famous lodge.  Everything was back 15 miles from the park.
post edited by FriedClamFanatic - 2015/10/02 13:31:11
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/10/02 17:23:13 (permalink)
mlm

Thanks, I do appreciate that. It's not a matter of hurrying or taking time to do them, it's that I simply have no time to do them...

CajunKing

On a serious note, thank you for another wonderful adventure, so expertly detailed and explained.  Your trip reports will be missed by many of us here.

Now back to the funny remarks, did you have to order a bpt to go with your pickle sandwich?

Big boy attends events for three reasons- Although three certain Roadfooders need to be there or he will not attend an event.
buffetbuster needs to be there because like Bigboy, he's always asking for more pie
chi town diner needs to be there because whenever we're with CTD we need to put our Bigboy pants on
And of course big boy is there to entertain the youngsters so ChiBears 15 has to be present too

FriedClamFanatic
After such a great trip report, can't wait until Yosemite.  Never found much good around there. except a glass of wine in the famous lodge.  Everything was back 15 miles from the park.

Not sure if you saw my previous comment but our trip to Yosemite has been cancelled or at least delayed 
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 2039
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/10/03 12:16:37 (permalink)
My condolences on the trip.  Yosemite is true wonder. Hope you rest up and get there soon = report or no report
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/10/04 01:48:51 (permalink)
wanderingjew
mlm

Thanks, I do appreciate that. It's not a matter of hurrying or taking time to do them, it's that I simply have no time to do them...

CajunKing

Big boy attends events for three reasons- Although three certain Roadfooders need to be there or he will not attend an event.
buffetbuster needs to be there because like Bigboy, he's always asking for more pie
chi town diner needs to be there because whenever we're with CTD we need to put our Bigboy pants on
And of course big boy is there to entertain the youngsters so ChiBears 15 has to be present too

FriedClamFanatic

Not sure if you saw my previous comment but our trip to Yosemite has been cancelled or at least delayed 

Well it just happens that buffetbuster, chitowndiner AND chibears15 will be there, so according to your own words, you Sandra and Bigboy must attend
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Placeholder for Iowa trip report 2015/10/30 08:15:23 (permalink)
Stay tuned for an unexpected Part 2
Half the time of Part 1...but even more intense...................
Trip begins next Wednesday
Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 7 of 8
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5