Helpful ReplyHot!Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12574
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/02/25 13:14:37 (permalink)
SC-
Don't know if this was mentioned earlier, but we really like Mehlman's Cafeteria in St. Clairsville, OH.  It has been reviewed in the old Roadfood books and IMHO is still worthy.  Two short cafeteria lines and you will see items that most restaurants don't offer anymore, such as chicken and dumplings and my personal favorite, ham loaf.  Millennials and hipsters would hate the place!
phlmaestro
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1061
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/02/25 13:26:39 (permalink)
buffetbuster
SC-
Don't know if this was mentioned earlier, but we really like Mehlman's Cafeteria in St. Clairsville, OH.  It has been reviewed in the old Roadfood books and IMHO is still worthy.  Two short cafeteria lines and you will see items that most restaurants don't offer anymore, such as chicken and dumplings and my personal favorite, ham loaf.  Millennials and hipsters would hate the place!

Thanks for that. I've been considering Mehlman's as an alternative to our usual first meal stop on our next Midwest trip: the Summit Diner. We usually hit the Summit for both the first and last meal of Midwest roadtrips, but I've been thinking I should try something different on the way west to mix things up and try something different.

I've seen the sign for Mehlman's from the highway, but never stopped there before.
post edited by phlmaestro - 2019/02/25 22:44:39
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9201
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/02/25 18:54:41 (permalink)
Thanks for the Mehlman's tip, BB!  If I ask for "Larry Bud" will I get a discount or a sock on the jaw?

They open at 10:30am so depending on the time we depart Pittsburgh they might not be an option, though.  If they're not, would the Newellstown Diner in town be a good alternative?

Currently the plan is to take US-22 into Pittsburgh and US-40 out, and so far I don't have much in the way of US-40 stops between Pittsburgh and Cambridge, OH.
phlmaestro
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/02/25 22:41:41 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
...would the Newellstown Diner in town be a good alternative?

Could any place with a deep-fried hot dog on the menu be bad? 

Tumbleweed365
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 202
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/02/25 22:47:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby phlmaestro 2019/02/26 08:07:52
We ate at the Mehlman diner several years ago and the food and old school ambiance were great, don’t know about recently. It’s high on my return to list someday.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/02/26 09:03:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/02/26 10:02:27
ScreamingChicken
Currently the plan is to take US-22 into Pittsburgh

Okay, that opens up other possibilities...

You will be driving right past Steubenville, OH, home of Steubenville-style, a.k.a. Ohio Valley-style pizza.  The pizza comes in square cuts and only after it comes out of the oven is cold (actually room temperature) toppings put on.  The cheese melts right on top and this offers a completely different flavor than other pizzas.  It is absolutely not for everyone, but locals love it and so do we. 

That article mentions DiCarlo's, which is a chain and their pizza is fine.  We tried different places in the Steubenville area and the clear winner for us was Giannamore's.  One potential drawback:  they don't open until 4:00pm.  I do believe there are other places that are open for lunch.

BTW, we have a handful of these types of pizza joints much closer to us north of Pittsburgh.  Truthfully, we have gotten to the point that we would much rather drive over to Ambridge, PA and visit Police Station Pizza than any of the traditional round pizza places in Western PA.  We took Mariton's aunt, visiting us from Japan, there last month and she went crazy over it.  Mariton was talking to her while we were driving the other day and her first comments were, "I miss you guys.  I miss the pizza!"   

For a more traditional recommendation, we love DeeJay's Ribs in Weirton, WV.  It is just over an hour drive for us and we do it approximately once a month.  The ribs are baby backs that pull right off the bone, which is not my preferred type of ribs, but they are meaty, with a great smoke flavor. 

We (with my college buddies) have been going here for almost 30 years. Back then it was a tiny place, with classic Roadfood atmosphere.  Unfortunately, their popularity meant a move to a much bigger building was required and they are now right next to Rte. 22, but with all the atmosphere of a Bahama Breeze.  At least the high quality of the ribs survived the move.

They made national news a few years ago when DeeJay's owner, a long time Penguins season ticket holder, stopped taking orders for the coach of the arch rival Philadelphia Flyers. 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2019/02/26 09:05:51
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/02/26 09:52:12 (permalink)
Thanks for the pizza tips!  Giannamore's might be out because we plan to get to Pittsburgh around 2-2:30, but it looks like the Steubenville area has plenty of other pizza places.  Actually, the restaurant that caught my eye is Capri Sausage & Meatball Carry-Out; have you ever been there?  I wonder if the Omni William Penn management would mind if we tailgated in their parking lot before the game...

Thanks for the info on DeeJay's, too.  I had looked into it and wasn't giving it much thought because of the appearance, but if you say the ribs are good I'll add it to the list.  Incidentally, when you mentioned St. Clairsville yesterday I pulled up the G-map and noticed that just west of there, where US-40 and OH-331 meet, is what looks to be a trailer called Houston's Chicken and Ribs.  Unfortunately (for me) they don't open until 11 on Saturdays, but maybe I could play the tourist card and finagle a sample.

phlmaestro
ScreamingChicken
...would the Newellstown Diner in town be a good alternative? 

Could any place with a deep-fried hot dog on the menu be bad? 

And with optional homemade chili sauce to boot...so the answer is definitely NO!
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5786
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/02/26 10:09:17 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Thanks for the pizza tips!  Giannamore's might be out because we plan to get to Pittsburgh around 2-2:30, but it looks like the Steubenville area has plenty of other pizza places.  Actually, the restaurant that caught my eye is Capri Sausage & Meatball Carry-Out; have you ever been there?  I wonder if the Omni William Penn management would mind if we tailgated in their parking lot before the game...

The funniest part of that line is a parking lot at the William Penn. There may be an underground lot, but it was too pricey for us. We parked in the public lot across the street. Get used to walking.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/02/26 10:44:26 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Thanks for the pizza tips!  Giannamore's might be out because we plan to get to Pittsburgh around 2-2:30, but it looks like the Steubenville area has plenty of other pizza places.  Actually, the restaurant that caught my eye is Capri Sausage & Meatball Carry-Out; have you ever been there? 
We have driven past a half dozen times and it sure looks like the real deal, but we have yet to stop in.  No doubt we will get there before now and July and will give a full report back.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23195
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/02/26 12:36:19 (permalink)
That Capri Sausage & Meatball place looks like a perfect day trip for us.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/05/26 08:09:31 (permalink)
I've been futzing with my itinerary on and off for several months now, and have come up with some more possibilities for our Pittsburgh-to-Indy (US-40 & I-70) stretch:

Shorty's Lunch (the original), Washington, PA.  They open at 9:30 so depending on what time we depart I could possibly enjoy a chili dog for breakfast.

Hopewell Diner, Claysville, PA.  They have a Facebook page but it's visible only to FB members...too bad.

The Mug, Greenfield, IN for a BPT and some fresh-cut fries.

And I think we'll wrap up the day with dinner at Hollyhock Hill.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7287
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/05/27 09:36:10 (permalink)
Washington/Claysville, PA are both so very close to one of my all-time favorite RF destinations, The Breezy Heights Tavern in Avella, PA.

BB's pictures of the place are on page 2 of the thread.
phlmaestro
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/05/27 18:55:32 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

Hopewell Diner, Claysville, PA.  They have a Facebook page but it's visible only to FB members...too bad.

I can access it. I don't see any indication that they have fried chicken. Just let me know if you'd like me to send you the menu photos.   Your mention of it led me to check it out as a possible stop in place of my usual Summit Diner for our first trip meal in September.  I don't think I like the menu enough and the only two pie photos I could find were not very enticing. The Breezy Heights Tavern looks like a better option if you want chicken. 

While searching, I just noticed the Liberty Street Café on US-40 in West Alexander, PA, which is less than a mile from the West Virginia border.  They appear to have potential. Again, if you're interested, I'd be happy to send you the menu. I saw it on Facebook.
post edited by phlmaestro - 2019/05/27 19:24:25
phlmaestro
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/05/27 19:30:50 (permalink)
Now you've got me started! I've actually been eager to find an alternative to the Summit anyway. I just came across the Main Street Café in Claysville, just east of West Alexander on US-40.  They look like they have good pie potential, which I know means more to me than it does to you.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/05/27 21:18:31 (permalink)
Thanks for the heads-up!  Liberty Street Cafe is pretty much out because from what I can tell they don't open until 4pm on Saturdays, but Main Street Cafe might be a breakfast possibility.

Now that I've been thinking about it, killing time until Shorty's Lunch opens at 9:30 might be the most likely option.  Perhaps a "where are they now" photo detour to 575 W. Pike in Canonsburg...
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2019/05/27 21:42:36
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/05/27 22:40:22 (permalink)
My father was born in Claysville, near the historic "S Bridge".

1961 - 1962 I walked past Shorty's Lunch twice a day going to and fro Washington High School; it was 'old' even then.  My 'stop' then was "Pete's Paradise", a confectionary, creamery and bakery that had pinballs "that paid".

Shorty's was then and is still (God Bless) a hot-dog & beer place like Coney Island and the P.O. Lunch in New Castle, PA and Jess' in Harrisonburg, VA.  Truly wonderful memories at all, but I'd still find my way to some Broasted Chicken, green bean casserole, and MP & gravy at The Breezy Heights.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/05/28 11:09:00 (permalink)
I don't get down to Shorty's very often, because their hours make it tough, but I am a fan.  If I remember, they make a fairly decent hot roast beef sandwich, too.

SC-
Hot diggity, dog ziggity, if you need to kill time in Canonsburg, you need to visit here.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/05/28 21:50:08 (permalink)
buffetbuster
… hot roast beef sandwich ...

Just so everyone understands what we Yinzers mean:

Before McDonald's there were lunch counters and "hot beef" and "hot turkey" sandwiches were lunch counter staples; the above is as such were served in the Washington, PA of my youth. 

Orders at a lunch counter were plated before your eyes by your server from pre-prepared food.  It was truly wonderful as you could always get another squirt of cherry syrup in your fountain Coke or a little more gravy on your potatoes.

On the N. Main and W. Chestnut portion of my daily walk to high school such could be had at 'upper' Herd's, Washington News, J.C. Penny's, G.C. Murphy's, 'lower' Herd's, and Shorty's.

Replicating that walk on Google Maps, only Shorty's remains.

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2019/05/28 22:22:35
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/05/28 22:36:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2019/05/30 12:25:12
Head west through Ohio to Indiana and the upper slice of bread disappears (but not always) in favor of a layer of mashed potatoes (sometimes under the beef, sometimes over) and the name changes to "Manhattan"...at the end of the day it's still meat, carbs, and gravy.  And that's a Good Thing.

buffetbuster
Hot diggity, dog ziggity, if you need to kill time in Canonsburg, you need to visit here.

And now the world knows why Don Yenko built some of the most legendary muscle cars ever...to get away from that thing as fast as possible!
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5322
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/05/29 06:41:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/05/29 09:44:19
I think we have a new "Mr Plan Ahead"..........
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5