Helpful ReplyHot!Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8988
2018/12/14 15:44:35 (permalink)

Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana

Buffetbuster has already helped greatly with my early plans...

The baseball schedule-makers have given my wife and I an excellent opportunity for a road trip next season, as the Brewers play in Cincinnati on July 4 and Pittsburgh on July 5.  Since I've gone from home to southern Ohio many times I'm more interested in what lies between the 2 aforementioned cities.

The July 4 game is at 2pm EDT so with a 5:30pm departure from Great American Ballpark we could easily make it via I-71 to Columbus or Zanesville before dark.  A good place to eat along the way or after we stop would be a nice way to end the day.

Friday, July 5 will be the start of the best part of the trip.  The game isn't until 7pm that night and hotel check-in probably won't be until at least 3pm, so we'll have lots of time to get there and I'd like to take US-40 east as far as possible.  It goes through plenty of smaller towns so I'm hoping there might be a couple of worthy stops along the way.  As of right now I'm looking at staying at the Omni William Penn in downtown Pittsburgh (1 mile from PNC Park), and it looks like there are plenty of choices for an early dinner there or in the adjacent Strip District.

The shortest route home from Pittsburgh is via I-80 and Chicago, but since I'm planning on taking 2 days for the drive we'll be taking I-70 west.  The segment to Columbus will be similar to the day before so any options not exercised then will still be in play, and from Columbus we'll stay on I-70 to Indianapolis and US-36 to Turkey Run State Park (Under the Arch in Marshall would be a great stop if we don't eat in the Indy area).

Thanks!
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 973
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/14 16:13:00 (permalink)
I don't have any personal experience there, but from what I'm seeing online, this barbecue place in Grove City, which is just off 71 right before you'd get to Columbus, looks like it has potential:  https://www.citybbq.com/

There is also a good-looking Chinese restaurant that has a lot of classic stuff on the menu in Grove City:  https://www.chinabellrestaurantcolumbus.com/

This steakhouse in Columbus is a little pricy, but it's old and looks very classic. It describes itself on the website as a 1950s supper-club steakhouse:  https://thetopsteakhouse.com/

And this place in Zanesville looks like it has dinner potential:  http://www.adornettos.com/old-market-house-inn.html

post edited by phlmaestro - 2018/12/14 16:36:14
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/14 16:47:12 (permalink)
Thanks, Maestro.  Those are some good options; I think I'd probably go with Old Market House Inn or China Bell because they seem more toward the casual end of the spectrum, which might be good for a couple of baseball fans a bit worn from having spent the day at the park and more than a few hours on the road.  Unfortunately City BBQ is now a 48-store chain and the website doesn't list the original location, which would be my choice.

And while The Top definitely looks interesting, I fear they may force me to smoke an entire pack of unfiltered Pall Malls and down 3 martinis before letting me anywhere near a menu.
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1702
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/14 17:49:51 (permalink)
SC if you're going to stay overnight in Columbus you can kill 3 birds with one stone. The BrewDog Doghouse in Columbus is a one stop place for lodging and beer. Then you could head over to the DogTap for more beer and food.
City BBQ is just OK, for a chain. I've eaten there many times (at my local branch). They're OK, but not great.
https://www.brewdog.com/usa/doghouse

There are plenty of good places in the Indy area for lunch or dinner. Just depends on what you might be in the mood for.
rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1484
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/14 18:56:36 (permalink)
Wow! I've never seen this before: 745. Assorted Egg Foo Young (Beef, Chicken & Shrimp)
$10.50   

phlmaestro

There is also a good-looking Chinese restaurant that has a lot of classic stuff on the menu in Grove City:  https://www.chinabellrestaurantcolumbus.com/

phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/14 21:32:46 (permalink)
rumaki
Wow! I've never seen this before: 745. Assorted Egg Foo Young (Beef, Chicken & Shrimp)
$10.50   

I think it's not that uncommon around here, but with pork substituted for beef.

ScreamingChicken
And while The Top definitely looks interesting, I fear they may force me to smoke an entire pack of unfiltered Pall Malls and down 3 martinis before letting me anywhere near a menu.

Right. It looks like it would have fit in pretty well on my resent tour of vintage steakhouses. I figured you'd like that sort of vibe. 

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6489
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/14 22:46:12 (permalink)
I'll put in a good word for the outstanding Burgers at Gahanna Grill, as long as it's not their signature "Beanie Burger" (no beans, just a useless excess of gloppy cole slaw).  The "Academy Burger" with Swiss Cheese, Grilled Onions and Bacon would be a much better choice.

I expect Michael Hoffman to come along any moment now and either agree wholeheartedly, or call me an idiot, depending on his mood.

Buddy
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11658
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/14 23:33:13 (permalink)
Buddy,
We often go to the Gahanna Grill for a burger.  He usually gets a cheeseburger with grilled onions and I go for the Academy Burger or a bacon cheeseburger.  Neither of us are fond of the "Beanie Burger".  They also have wonderful salads and soups.  There is also 101 Beer Kitchen in Gahanna.  Great burgers and they have one of my favorite Belgian beers......Chimay.  

He won't call you an idiot.  He saves that one for me!!!!!!!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23049
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/14 23:40:57 (permalink)
phlmaestro

This steakhouse in Columbus is a little pricy, but it's old and looks very classic. It describes itself on the website as a 1950s supper-club steakhouse:  https://thetopsteakhouse.com/

We love The Top. The steaks are terrific and they have a veal chop that's out of this world. lleechef loves the escargot appetizer. This place is really fun. And they still have phone jacks in the booths, in case your office calls.
Davidsanders
  • Total Posts : 1050
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/15 08:59:15 (permalink)
I agree that City BBQ is just good, on a good day. I had been to one in Dayton, I believe, and the best part is that it was next door to a Graeter’s.
They opened one nearer to me, in the Chicago suburb of Deerfield, near where the Chicago Symphony plays during the summer and I tried it again. It’s just not very good.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/15 09:24:34 (permalink)
Thanks for all the suggestions so far.  I've been surfing Google Maps this morning and it looks like US-40 and US-22 from Ohio to Pittsburgh offer a number of interesting stops, both food-related and otherwise.  We've decided to stay at the Omni William Penn (per Buffetbuster, it's one of the nicest hotels in the city); while a place like that is normally out of our league we figured that since we may never visit Pittsburgh again it's OK to treat ourselves.  I wonder if the bed pillows are topped with pierogies instead of mints.

I'm still deciding between Columbus, Zanesville, or another Ohio location for the night of July 4, though.  There are some vintage motels along US-40 but I'm not sure I can convince my wife.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5635
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/15 09:45:28 (permalink)
I've heard that some people cannot get enough of the Crossroads in Jacksontown Ohio.

It's on the National Road (US-40) which should be part of your drive.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2018/12/15 09:48:28
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5635
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/15 09:51:11 (permalink)
Brad,

Bobbi found a room on Hotwire at the William Penn for a really good price a couple years ago. You may want to look there for a deal,

Jim
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1702
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/15 12:03:58 (permalink)
Davidsanders
I agree that City BBQ is just good, on a good day. I had been to one in Dayton, I believe, and the best part is that it was next door to a Graeter’s.
They opened one nearer to me, in the Chicago suburb of Deerfield, near where the Chicago Symphony plays during the summer and I tried it again. It’s just not very good.

I wonder if that's deliberate, that they have a Graeter's next door? The City BBQ in our neighbourhood has one right next door, too. I visit it more often than the BBQ joint!
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4765
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/15 13:22:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2018/12/15 13:32:04
I have nothing to add ... but I am happy to see any response to a where-to-eat inquiry on RF these days.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/15 18:51:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2018/12/15 20:21:54
wheregreggeats.com
I have nothing to add ... but I am happy to see any response to a where-to-eat inquiry on RF these days.

I really like sour and sweet food. So I want to look for some delicious soup between Cincinnati and Pittsburgh which tastes sour and sweet. Is there anyone who can recommend some soup between Cincinnati and Pittsburgh to me?

JRPfeff
Bobbi found a room on Hotwire at the William Penn for a really good price a couple years ago. You may want to look there for a deal,

Many, many thanks - Hotwire got me the William Penn for $110 less!  I shall pass some of that savings along to you in the form of a BOFS sometime.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/15 20:18:59 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
I'll put in a good word for the outstanding Burgers at Gahanna Grill, as long as it's not their signature "Beanie Burger" (no beans, just a useless excess of gloppy cole slaw).  The "Academy Burger" with Swiss Cheese, Grilled Onions and Bacon would be a much better choice.

I expect Michael Hoffman to come along any moment now and either agree wholeheartedly, or call me an idiot, depending on his mood.

Buddy

I hate to have to agree with idiots. But that's not relevant here. I do agree with you Buddy. I had the Beanie Burger once -- maybe 20 years ago. Once is enough. Beanie Vesser is long gone from the Grill's kitchen (although he can sometimes be found at the bar), but the burgers are still top notch.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/15 20:31:25 (permalink)
His last name is Vesser?  Based on the burger I was guessing Primanti.

One thing that might give Columbus the edge over Zanesville is that it's going to be July 4, and some places that would normally be open on a Thursday will be closed.  Columbus will probably give us the better chance of finding some dinner.
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/15 20:51:09 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
I'm still deciding between Columbus, Zanesville, or another Ohio location for the night of July 4, though.  There are some vintage motels along US-40 but I'm not sure I can convince my wife.

I just watched Psycho with my wife. I sympathize with your wife. 

If you do stay in Columbus and find a lot of places closed, I would bet the classic place I posted about on my recent Chinese restaurant thread will be open. Chinese restaurants around here never seem to close for holidays:
https://dingho.net/

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/15 21:20:46 (permalink)
Clearly Marion Crane should've checked the online reviews for the Bates Motel.  Incidentally, one of the US-40 motels is Baker's Motel, and it does seem a little less murdery.

Ding Ho looks pretty cool, but sadly doesn't have Shrimp Toast as an appetizer.  But that's not a deal-breaker.  However...just down the street is York Steak House!

Google says 306 miles from Philly to PNC Park...will you and Mrs. Maestro be joining us at the game?
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/15 23:26:18 (permalink)
I'll pencil it in very lightly. 
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/16 09:59:26 (permalink)
Breaking off on a slight tangent...

In Cambridge, Ohio US-22 and US-40 diverge, with 22 tracking northeast and 40 continuing to roughly parallel I-70.  Is one route significantly better than the other?  We'll have plenty of time to get to Pittsburgh (hotel check-in isn't until 3pm) so skipping the interstate in favor of the blue highways isn't a problem.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7218
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/16 10:18:53 (permalink)
phlmaestro
ScreamingChicken

I just watched Psycho with my wife. I sympathize with your wife. 

If you do stay in Columbus and find a lot of places closed, I would bet the classic place I posted about on my recent Chinese restaurant thread will be open. Chinese restaurants around here never seem to close for holidays:
https://dingho.net/

1)  Mr. Hoffman's favorite Waffle House will be open.

2)  I'll 'second' BB's suggestion to stay at the William Penn.  Every night I have spent in Pittsburgh since the 1970's has been there - always a 'first class' experience.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/16 12:06:09 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Breaking off on a slight tangent...

In Cambridge, Ohio US-22 and US-40 diverge, with 22 tracking northeast and 40 continuing to roughly parallel I-70.  Is one route significantly better than the other?  We'll have plenty of time to get to Pittsburgh (hotel check-in isn't until 3pm) so skipping the interstate in favor of the blue highways isn't a problem.

I strongly suggest 22. That will get you to I-376, which is a straight shot into Pittsburgh.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/16 12:09:06 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

Ding Ho looks pretty cool, but sadly doesn't have Shrimp Toast as an appetizer.  But that's not a deal-breaker.  However...just down the street is York Steak House!

While I have not been to Ding Ho in years, they did have great steaks. I am not kidding.

phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/16 16:38:50 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
ScreamingChicken

While I have not been to Ding Ho in years, they did have great steaks. I am not kidding.

That's really interesting. Were they served whole or cut up?  The Imperial Inn that I've written about use to have fairly large strips of steak in a Mandarin sauce (they may still; I haven't ordered it in years and wouldn't trust them to serve tender steak at this point), but I've never seen a steak served uncut at a Chinese restaurant.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/16 19:35:28 (permalink)
The steaks were served whole. I'd usually get a 14 ounce strip.
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/16 22:13:53 (permalink)
I see there is an American section of their menu and it still includes a list of steaks. They come with a salad and fries.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2018/12/18 09:29:54 (permalink)
phlmaestro

And this place in Zanesville looks like it has dinner potential:  http://www.adornettos.com/old-market-house-inn.html

Adornetto's has confirmed that all of their restaurants will be closed July 4, so I've sent The Top an inquiry.  If it's closed as well, Chinese food might become a very real possibility.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Indiana 2019/02/25 12:16:46 (permalink)
The Pirates tickets were ordered back in December and the Reds tickets were ordered this morning, so in the ensuing 4 months I will spend countless hours tweaking the itinerary...
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5