‘Clean’ Chinese Food

Author
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5687
2019/04/13 11:10:59 (permalink)

‘Clean’ Chinese Food

I ran across this article in the NYTimes about a controversy surrounding a healthier version of Chinese-American cuisine being offered by a white restaurateur. An interesting dining concept that stepped over a line to become "cultural appropriation."
Arielle Haspel, a Manhattan health coach with a sleek social media presence, wanted to open the kind of Chinese restaurant, she said, where she and her food-sensitive clients could eat. One where the lo mein wouldn’t make people feel “bloated and icky” the next day, or one where the food wasn’t “too oily” or salty, as she wrote in an Instagram post a few weeks ago.

She chose a name for her new restaurant, Lucky Lee’s, that sounded stereotypically Chinese, even though she and her husband, Lee, are not Asian. She decorated the restaurant with bamboo and jade touches, and designed her logo with a chopstick-inspired font.

And then, quite predictably, she was flamed on the internet for it.
A good discussion of this article is at the Althouse blog.

5 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10055
    Re: ‘Clean’ Chinese Food 2019/04/13 12:14:21 (permalink)
    Wonder how her profit margin is doing today???
    stricken_detective
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2770
    Re: ‘Clean’ Chinese Food 2019/04/14 05:12:15 (permalink)
    The Chinese place I order from has a section called Diet Menu. They have I think 6 or so choices, all are made steamed and come with a brown sauce on the side and you can get brown rice with them instead of white. They've been doing that since they opened.

The other way to get "clean" Chinese food is to buy a wok and make your own.
    leethebard
    Porterhouse
    Re: ‘Clean’ Chinese Food 2019/04/14 09:27:04 (permalink)
    stricken_detective
    The Chinese place I order from has a section called Diet Menu. They have I think 6 or so choices, all are made steamed and come with a brown sauce on the side and you can get brown rice with them instead of white. They've been doing that since they opened.

The other way to get "clean" Chinese food is to buy a wok and make your own.

I wish other Chinese places did that Brown rice is fine...Unfortunately, most of what I love at a Chinese restaurant is fattening.Clean , however, is essential!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4577
    Re: ‘Clean’ Chinese Food 2019/04/14 16:46:18 (permalink)
    A few days ago I made Korean short ribs with kimchee and rice. Earlier in the week I made Italian sausages and peppers. Last week I made jambalaya with shrimp and andouille sausage. Last week I also made Vietnamese lemongrass pork with vermicelli noodles.

Am I guilty of multiple accounts of cultural appropriation?

leethebard
    Porterhouse
    Re: ‘Clean’ Chinese Food 2019/04/14 18:21:22 (permalink)
    EdSails
    A few days ago I made Korean short ribs with kimchee and rice. Earlier in the week I made Italian sausages and peppers. Last week I made jambalaya with shrimp and andouille sausage. Last week I also made Vietnamese lemongrass pork with vermicelli noodles.

Am I guilty of multiple accounts of cultural appropriation?

Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5