Coastal Georgia

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Coastal Georgia 2004/05/12 21:13:43 (permalink)
Great suggestions. I am headed down that way too!
harriet1954
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1208
RE: Coastal Georgia 2004/05/16 15:20:21 (permalink)
I read with interest the info about the places along coastal GA just now, as I am "micro-managing" my first BIG roadtrip in years! Yes, people of Roadfood, we're driving from New Jersey to Sanibel Island, Florida in late August! It's gonna be a blast, and this forum once again has proven how wonderful it is. And how much I do rely on it!

I already printed out a Mapquest map for Willie's Wee-Nee wagon (the three of us consider a place like that right up our alley) and scotch-taped a description of the place to it (I'm so detail-oriented when it comes to these things, hence the "micro-managing" tag I now have), and then I considered the Georgia Pig...until I read the info Sundancer mentioned. I totally rely on the regulars' tips here, and I won't set foot in that place. My fiance is biracial, and although he's been there done that, any aggravation on our trip we just don't need.

We may try Sonny's, I know it's a chain, but I just want to see for myself if the BBQ is any good.

More info as it comes about our trip, and ALL suggestions are welcome!

Harriet (Shayna's mom)
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3616
RE: Coastal Georgia 2004/05/16 17:44:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by shaynas_mom

We may try Sonny's, I know it's a chain, but I just want to see for myself if the BBQ is any good.
Harriet (Shayna's mom)

Shayna's Mom,
Just between you and me, I wouldn't advise eating at Sonny's unless your curiosity is absolutely getting the best of you. Their "pitmasters" are usually high school kids. I know ya gotta start somewhere, but I can't see any of the local Sonny's employees making a career of tending barbecue... and a noble career indeed it is, as little as you think about it. Just ask Wayne "Honey" Monk in Lexington, North Carolina!
If you do go, don't say I didn't warn you of immense mediocrity. The buzzword there is quantity, not quality. Frankly, I prefer a healthy slice of both.
Wishing To Be On Cue, Ort. Carlton, The Travelling Trencherman of Rainy Athens, Georgia.
harriet1954
RE: Coastal Georgia 2004/05/17 13:28:54 (permalink)
Ort, I hear ya (or I read ya). My man actually said the same thing when I casually mentioned it a few weeks back ("why would you want to eat at a chain?"). Well, if worse comes to worse, we'll check it out only to fill our stomachs if everything else of quality is closed at that time. We're not on a strict strict time schedule, and I'm trying to figure out the best time to leave our area...but we can't meander as much as we'd like to on the trip. I mean, I'm not afraid to wander x number of miles off the Interstate (we will mutually arrive at a number), but want to basically stay on track on the way down to FL.

I know we'll find good BBQ but then the age-old argument about what my boyfriend calls "that Geechee sauce" (the other BBQ thread where I like sweet, others don't, blah blah blah).

I may start a thread as the time gets nearer for suggestions (never started a thread here before!).

I will say this: I have to mute my computer when I go to the Sonny's website. That song makes me nervous.
Edwaste
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Coastal Georgia 2004/05/18 11:58:34 (permalink)
I've been to Sonny's, don't waste your time. Unless you like dry tasteless meat, and enjoy an atmosphere of unhappy customers and staff, and sauce that tastes like it comes in 50 gallon drums.

There are so many great independant places out there, go discover them. I wish I could go this year.
Ashley Wilkes
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: Coastal Georgia 2004/05/18 16:19:37 (permalink)
I just ate at Sonny’s in my hometown in Georgia for the first time ever. I have always avoided Sonny’s since it used to have only sliced pork, and I much prefer pulled pork.

My review based on my one visit: the pulled pork was very good. It was tender, had no fat, and was smoky. The sauce came in bottles on the side and was ok, but nothing special. But I liked the meat fine without the sauce, although I normally prefer sauce.

The bad: the baked potato was not warm at all. It was not warm enough to melt the butter. The toast was not warm and had obviously been cooked much earlier. The waitress was helpful and friendly, but she was very busy and mostly not to be seen.

It you want to try Sonny’s, do so on Sunday. Most other local barbecue joints are closed in Georgia on that day. There may not be any other good Roadfood places open on Sunday either. After all this is the Bible Belt.
harriet1954
RE: Coastal Georgia 2004/05/19 12:16:32 (permalink)
The more I read about Sonny's now, the mroe I'm convinced not to stop there. We'll be leaving NJ sometime in the wee hours of Thursday night and stopping in Florence to sleep Friday night and getting to our destination on Saturday. So finding open places won't be a problem unless I've printed out info about Coffee Bluff BBQ & will figure out between now & then how to get there. And printed out a few other items on independent places in Georgia and elsewhere. We'll be packin' a cooler so we can spend more $$ down in our destination. But do want to stop at special places on the way.
clemspal
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: Coastal Georgia 2004/05/23 19:59:17 (permalink)
ask the locals how to find The Bucaneer Club . it's a little north of brunswick , and "a bit out of the way" , but everything about it is priceless .
clemspal
Hamburger
RE: Coastal Georgia 2004/05/23 20:01:22 (permalink)
by the way , if archie's is still around , it is NOT to be missed , for some of the finest fried shrimp in the golden isles " our fish is so fresh , it swam in the altamaha last night ".
Rapunzll
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: Coastal Georgia 2004/05/23 20:14:35 (permalink)
What is special about the Buccaneer Club?
Alexander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 164
RE: Coastal Georgia 2004/05/24 06:42:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rapunzll

What is special about the Buccaneer Club?

Well, a group of bicycle riders rides 80 miles from Claxton, GA, every year just to eat there, so there must be something to recommend it.
Rapunzll
Cheeseburger
RE: Coastal Georgia 2004/05/24 08:43:30 (permalink)
But you don't know what?
Alexander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 164
RE: Coastal Georgia 2004/05/24 09:56:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rapunzll

But you don't know what?

Hunger!
Rapunzll
Cheeseburger
RE: Coastal Georgia 2004/05/24 10:19:21 (permalink)
LOL

So, it's an all you can eat buffet?
clemspal
Hamburger
RE: Coastal Georgia 2004/05/24 10:26:06 (permalink)
The Bucaneer sits on a bluff overlooking a river . it's WAY back in the woods . the food is fresh and delicious . what's not to like ??? just GO !!!
Rapunzll
Cheeseburger
RE: Coastal Georgia 2004/05/24 10:35:01 (permalink)
Now that's a good enough reason to go. A ton of bikers is not!
gagirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Coastal Georgia 2004/06/02 09:11:27 (permalink)

If you are going to be in the Brunswick,Darien area, you have to stop and eat at the Buccaneer Club. It is set right on the inlet and you can watch boats while you eat. They have the best seafood I have ever eaten. We have driven 2 hours one way just to eat there and drive home. Give it a try. You will go back.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15787
RE: Coastal Georgia 2004/06/02 09:32:21 (permalink)
Now their is a confusion of terms and images!!!
Say Bikers and in my mind forms the image of large and Very large men in leathers, beards and long hair on customized motorcycles riding in convoy out to a 'roadhouse' to eat, drink, and do Biker Stuff.
It is apparent that there is another image...One I see here in the hills of Southern Indiana. A group of skinny men and women dressed in flashy Spandex with Neon colors all over them, and little mirrors attached to their sunglasses. They ride all over the hills, swigging Gatorade and eating Prunes and Cranberries etc while they swap stories of their portfolio progress and do "Biker Stuff".
What a complex world we live in.
Thwe Bucaneer Club sounds good to me.
Rapunzll
Cheeseburger
RE: Coastal Georgia 2004/06/02 09:38:29 (permalink)
Al, that is so funny! I have a friend who is a biker in IN, but the NW part. I'll have to tell him what you said, I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it!
Rapunzll
Cheeseburger
RE: Coastal Georgia 2004/09/21 13:55:58 (permalink)
Well, I went to Pelican Point with a gentleman friend, and it was great! It's a good thing he'd been before, because I'm not sure I would have found it on my own, the signage is not the best!

We were there when Frances was visiting, and one of the waitresses said she'd never seen the water level so high. I'd definately make a trip back to PP!
4ralphwiggum
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Coastal Georgia 2005/01/01 12:23:57 (permalink)
The following are, hands down, the best places to eat in Coastal Georgia. They are in no particular order:

1) Willie's Wee-Nee Wagon - losts of posts on Willie's so I do not have to elaborate on this one.

2) Mac's BBQ - Mac's is a lot better than the Georgia Pig or Drake's. I think the Georgia Pig is well know as a result of its proximity to I-95. Mac's, however, has the best darn BBQ around. The french fries and tea are superb, as well.

3) CARGO Portside Grill - Cargo is only open at night and will be a little expensive (35.00 per person for app., dinner and wine.) However, the food is damn good. Be sure to try the Peach Pound Cake.
http://www.cargoportsidegrill.com/
"This is, by far, the top restaurant in the area. The food is fresh, innovative, and a bit sassy with some southern background."
Southern Living
Awarded "Top Ten Dining Destinations in Georgia"
Georgia Trend Magazine

4) Skipper's Fish Camp - in Darien, Georgia. Open for lunch and dinner. About a five-minute trip off of I-95 or a 10 minute drive from Brunswick, this place is incredible. Cheaper than Cargo, but the food is 94% as good as Cargo's. Try the shrimp. The owners and managers are comitted
to serving only local shrimp year round. The shrimp boats are actually tied up to this restaurant.
http://skippersfishcamp.com
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13946
RE: Coastal Georgia 2005/01/01 13:08:10 (permalink)
Here is the Sundancers thoughts on Georgia Pig:

Stay away from Georgia Pig. I made a stop there with a colleague who is HR manager from our company. She happens to be black and it ws obvious the female manager was racist. She served us but it was obvious she was not welcome. You could have cut the tension with a knife. Food was no more than average and certain not worth a side trip even though it was beside the interstate 95.

I would never go back

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Coastal Georgia 2005/01/01 13:19:03 (permalink)
The nicest thing about GA Pig was the friendly hound living under the porch.

Cheers, John
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1331
RE: Coastal Georgia 2005/01/01 13:37:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

The nicest thing about GA Pig was the friendly hound living under the porch.

Cheers, John

I cannot believe that you found any friendly living creature at that place. The people that work there are the unhappiest bunch of people and I do not think their food is that special.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Coastal Georgia 2005/01/01 13:47:11 (permalink)
Kay: You're losing that sharp sense of irony you have always displayed on these boards....

Cheers, John
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: Coastal Georgia 2005/04/14 13:23:55 (permalink)
In Savannah, Love's Seafood. is great. In season they have shad and shad roe. Paula Dean's place is certainly worth a visit.

On Tybee Island check the Breakfast Club run by a Polish family from Chicago, I think. The CIA chef catered JFKs jrs wedding.

In Darien, the Buccaneer is very good for southern coastal seafood, GA style (fried). The first time I went there it was operated like a speakeasy. Maybe liquour was illegal in that jurisdiction then, but they served. You'd knock on the door and a port hole would open. You were admitted if they liked your looks

In the Brunswick - Jekyll Island area, SFAIK, the Deck closed many many years ago, and in its last days was pretty lousy. I get google hits for the Deck but no imediate detail. I don't remember if the empty building was still there last time we were on that coast, but it stood for a long time. Having said that, the Deck had "Georgia Mull," a shrimp stew with lots of garlic that I'd try again although I did not much care for it when I had it before ...

The Crab Shack on SSI, I guess, is good as is the Sand Dollar. There are also a couple of places on the road from Jekyll running through Brunswick that have good fried fish. I think Captain's Table is one.

On Jekyll, the restaurant in the Club Hotel has reasonable service and, well, hotel food. Nothing out of the ordinary. Pricey. Generally the places on Jekyll are pretty much geared to visitors who want to eat rather than dine. There is a place just just south of the bridge with a low country boil in the right setting, i.e., fish camp ambiance.

Rapunzll
Cheeseburger
RE: Coastal Georgia 2005/11/04 00:03:47 (permalink)
I was talking to a gentleman from Brunswick tonight and he also suggested Mac's BBQ saying it was much better than the Georgia Pig. He also said they had great Brunswick Stew. I can hardly wait to go there, and that won't be till Feb or March!
gmbrown
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Coastal Georgia 2005/11/28 17:01:03 (permalink)
Subjects: Brunswick, Georgia, GA Pig, The Deck

I went hundreds of miles out of my way last fall to visit the GA Pig since twenty years ago it was the best BBQ I ever tasted. (I have moved way out west since then and, in spite of the vast number of BBQs in the Southwest, none has yet come close to my memories of the GA Pig.) Unfortunately, I just don't think the flavor was there. The pork was wonderfully tender but just had the flavor of good roast pork anywhere. I think they might have been cooking it in foil away from the smoke. Or maybe they just ran out of hickory. Or maybe it's just my memory playing tricks (I don't think red delicious apples taste as good as they used to either). Anyhow, I was disappointed.

As to the race question, there were some Black customers outside when I arrived but they seemed to be strictly in take-out mode.

As to The Deck, which used to be a favorite on the Florida route before I moved west, I couldn't find any sign of it and I'm afraid it's history. The causeway out to the island has been realigned and I think The Deck was either bypassed or paved over. Too bad times two.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5