Helpful ReplyHot!Contingent Gathering in Kenosha - Sunday March 26th

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7730
Re: Contingent Gathering in Kenosha - Some Sunny Sunday in March? 2017/03/26 20:36:18 (permalink)
chicagostyledog
I propose a future event be held at Great Lakes Dragaway in beautiful Union Grove, WI, 3 miles west on KR off I 94. I'll bring a small gas grill and we'll do char dogs & char Polish.

It would have to be on a SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY, of course.

Thanks for putting this together, Danny.  It was a good call to go to Andrea's instead of Andy's for the second stop.
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 272
Re: Contingent Gathering in Kenosha - Some Sunny Sunday in March? 2017/03/26 22:37:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/03/26 23:18:59
I'm really glad that you guys had fun today.  It was great seeing everyone.

Lots of delicious food and good laughs.  One of my New Year's resolutions was to be a better Roadfooder by actually posting my pics from these events; I will do so next weekend.  Take care and good night.

Danny

P.S.  The chitowndiner was greatly missed by all!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Contingent Gathering in Kenosha - Some Sunny Sunday in March? 2017/03/27 10:50:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/03/27 12:33:58
ChiBears15
P.S.  The chitowndiner was greatly missed by all!

Please create a Doodle poll to determine if this is true.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3398
Re: Contingent Gathering in Kenosha - Some Sunny Sunday in March? 2017/03/27 12:48:46 (permalink)
Yes Danny, thank you so much. I had a great time, even with feeling under the weather. How was Renzo's?
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
Re: Contingent Gathering in Kenosha - Some Sunny Sunday in March? 2017/03/27 14:11:13 (permalink)
Mike:  The four of us enjoyed our meal at Renzo's very much.  It has an old school Italian vibe to it.  We ordered three pizza turnovers (calzones) and two salads for the table.  Pics will be posted this weekend.

Brad:  LOL can I retract that statement about CTD being missed by all?  I'm not sure I would be proven correct if it was put up to a vote. 

Danny

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5577
Re: Contingent Gathering in Kenosha - Some Sunny Sunday in March? 2017/03/27 14:12:45 (permalink)
Renzo's was pretty good.  Typical red sauce Italian joint serving all the usual suspects.  Per CSD's recommendation we ordered a few Pizza Popovers (Calzones, or Ponza Rottas for the Jimmy's Grotto fans).  We think they were baked, not fried, but it was tough to tell because they were all smothered in, of course, red sauce.  This is not a complaint, BTW.  Quality was good across the board with the most notable feature being the huge chunks of garlic stuffed inside.

We managed to drag ourselves to one last spot, Shirl's Frozen Custard, for dessert. Pretty good custard, although my Butterscotch Heath combo could have uses some more intense flavor of both.

All in all it was a good day, in spite of unfulfilled promise of sun.  The Smashdown Burgers at Interstate Dogs started the day nicely.  These were a very good version of the genre, but I still think Red Hot Ranch does a better job.  The patties were almost too thick, and the griddle wasn't hot enough to achieve the same caramelization and intense flavors served at RHR.  Still, good stuff and worth the stop.

Andrea's was a minor disappointment.  Very good Malts, but the food was nothing special.

A quick shopping trip at Tenuta's was solid, as always.

The Burgers at Captain Mike's may have been the highlight of the day.  ChiBears15 and I split a "Dirty Burger" which amounted to a Kobe Beef burger smothered in beer cheese, topped with a black and tan onion ring, and horseradish.  It was done to a nice medium rare and served on a pretzel roll.  The Loaded Baked Potato Salad was a winner and a nice change of pace from French Fries.

Overall, it was a job well done, appreciated by 11 Contingent members who were brave enough to get out of bed and face a rainy, foggy day in the name of Roadfood and camaraderie.  Good work ChiBears15.

See you all soon!

Buddy

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4701
Re: Contingent Gathering in Kenosha - Some Sunny Sunday in March? 2017/03/27 14:39:51 (permalink)
Buddy or Danny,

How was the Cap'n Mike beef? Our Kobe was dry & not particularly pink. We were wondering if we got standard beef by mistake.

Jim
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
Re: Contingent Gathering in Kenosha - Some Sunny Sunday in March? 2017/03/27 14:42:11 (permalink)
Jim,

Our burger definitely was not pink!  I was going to mention the same thing to everyone but I must have forgotten.  Our burger, however, was juicy from what I remember. 

Yours and Bobbi's beer cheese soup was the highlight for me though.

Danny
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re: Contingent Gathering in Kenosha - Some Sunny Sunday in March? 2017/03/27 14:45:07 (permalink)
CB15 - Where'd you get that love of Beer Cheese Soup? A certain Rhode Islander?
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3398
Re: Contingent Gathering in Kenosha - Some Sunny Sunday in March? 2017/03/27 14:55:47 (permalink)
A former Kenosha native and RFer, Stricken_Detective, mentioned that Ron's Place is worth stopping in if anyone returns for a visit. If you have a FB account you should be able to see their menu: https://www.facebook.com/ronsplacekenosha/menu/  I seem to be alone in this opinion but I thought Mike's French fries, while gorgeous, was the driest ff I've had in years, but then I don't dip mine in ketchup. Still, it was an interesting stop with a great high end booze and beer selection, matched with very fair prices.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3561
Re: Contingent Gathering in Kenosha - Some Sunny Sunday in March? 2017/03/27 16:18:08 (permalink)
MilwFoodlovers
A former Kenosha native and RFer, Stricken_Detective, mentioned that Ron's Place is worth stopping in if anyone returns for a visit. If you have a FB account you should be able to see their menu: https://www.facebook.com/ronsplacekenosha/menu/  I seem to be alone in this opinion but I thought Mike's French fries, while gorgeous, was the driest ff I've had in years, but then I don't dip mine in ketchup. Still, it was an interesting stop with a great high end booze and beer selection, matched with very fair prices.

No longer family owned and not the same as the old days when SD was in elementary school. Take a pass on this one.

CSD
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3561
Re: Contingent Gathering in Kenosha - Some Sunny Sunday in March? 2017/03/27 16:23:02 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Buddy or Danny,

How was the Cap'n Mike beef? Our Kobe was dry & not particularly pink. We were wondering if we got standard beef by mistake.

Jim

Dry, not pink, and expensive! They've no idea what pink or red is! You were warned! I usually return my burger for a redo because they cook the hell out of it, by flattening it on that char grill!  Should have had the chili mac and cheese.

CSD
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1062
Re: Contingent Gathering in Kenosha - Some Sunny Sunday in March? 2017/03/27 16:28:22 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Buddy or Danny,

Jim

You got scammed. Kobe beef is not available in more than a handful of restaurants in the US, especially as a hamburger. There is an outside chance that you might have received Wagyu beef, which is domestically raised in the US, but you didn't have Kobe beef. This is a relatively common scam and the beef is usually just regular beef, not even domestic wagyu.

http://www.businessinside...era--honolulu-hawaii-8
post edited by Root-Beer Man - 2017/03/27 16:30:06
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10253
Re: Contingent Gathering in Kenosha - Some Sunny Sunday in March? 2017/03/27 16:57:27 (permalink)
Andreas is more of a "ladies who like to lunch" place in my opinion. I enjoyed it on my last visit-but I liked the shop and wanted a simple sandwich.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re: Contingent Gathering in Kenosha - Some Sunny Sunday in March? 2017/03/27 16:59:35 (permalink)
Ann,

We enjoyed our chocolate soda at Andrea's (Beth shared her flask😉).

Jim
Gyp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 201
Re: Contingent Gathering in Kenosha - Some Sunny Sunday in March? 2017/03/27 17:26:27 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Andrea's was a minor disappointment.  Very good Malts, but the food was nothing special.

Probably for the best then that I never got my food. The waitress dropped the bill and asked if there was anything else & I said yes I was still waiting for the sandwich I ordered. After looking at me incredulously for several seconds I said don't worry about it as this isn't our only stop.

But anyway, great itinerary Danny. It was nice seeing everybody and I enjoyed everything else.
Gyp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 201
Re: Contingent Gathering in Kenosha - Some Sunny Sunday in March? 2017/03/27 17:56:55 (permalink)

You got scammed. Kobe beef is not available in more than a handful of restaurants in the US, especially as a hamburger. There is an outside chance that you might have received Wagyu beef, which is domestically raised in the US, but you didn't have Kobe beef. This is a relatively common scam and the beef is usually just regular beef, not even domestic wagyu.

It's referred to as "American Kobe Beef" on the menu and it's a dollar or two dollars extra depending on the size. I think most people realize what they're getting.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Contingent Gathering in Kenosha - Some Sunny Sunday in March? 2017/03/27 18:11:32 (permalink)
Instead of trying to quote everybody:

The biscuits & gravy and hash browns at The Coffee Pot were very good.  It's not a big place but it's well-staffed, which made for a surprisingly speedy breakfast during a busy morning.

ChiBears15 and I split the "pepper ranch burger" at Interstate Dogs and IIRC we both thought it was very good.  As far as the burgers themselves differing a bit physically from the ones at Redhot Ranch, I wonder if there were variations possibly caused by us being the first customers of the day and perhaps not a regular working the flattop.  Just speculation.

The beef barley soup I had at Andrea's was thick enough to hold the spoon upright and it wasn't lacking in flavor.  Sorry to read that some other items were less satisfying.

My burger at Captain Mike's was fine, once they figured out which one mine actually was.  However, I also ordered a custom burger and not one of the specialties, and when I checked the "pink" box in the doneness section of the order sheet I wrote "extra" above it.  And the kitchen apparently paid attention.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Contingent Gathering in Kenosha - Some Sunny Sunday in March? 2017/04/22 07:54:59 (permalink)
Interstate Dogs:

Andrea's:

Captain Mike's:

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5